• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting the expansion regardless...I've got a decked out 80 feral druid, but I haven't been playing for a few months, so I was hoping for some free time. Thinking about rolling a Worgen on the alliance GAF server.

Raide said:
Out of the 5 80's I have, they have all only gone through a small amount of instances at low level. Finding a good levelling guide helps out massively. There are a few add-ons that help with questing, so just grab one of those.

You pick up quests and try to complete and hand them in, using the most efficient method. Completing one quest, then handing in just sucks. Finish as many as you can in one area, then hand them all in, then go back for the next chunk.

Knowing where and how to level are part of the battle. Sometimes you have to go into braindead mode and just sit there grinding quests and levelling. :lol

With this new expansion leveling guides are pretty unnecessary. They've laid it out so that you gain about 5 levels in each zone if you do all of the quests, and at the end of the quests it gives you a quest in the next zone appropriate for your level. I mean, there's no two ways about it, I'm leveling a LOT faster than I ever was in Vanilla or TBC, when I leveled my two mains, but I just can't believe people do it in like a week. :lol

epmode

I ordered the CE from Amazon as soon as it was put up. I was kinda worried about not getting release day delivery since it was showing a delivery date of Dec 10 last night..

Just got this email from Amazon:

"We are writing to you today because you purchased a pre-order copy of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition.

We are now able to offer Release-Date Delivery for this video game. This special delivery option is available to you free of charge and has been automatically applied to your order. Your copy of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition will arrive on 12/7/2010."

<3<3<3

nataku

epmode said:
I ordered the CE from Amazon as soon as it was put up. I was kinda worried about not getting release day delivery since it was saying 2-day air until last night..

Just got this email from Amazon:

"We are writing to you today because you purchased a pre-order copy of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition.

We are now able to offer Release-Date Delivery for this video game. This special delivery option is available to you free of charge and has been automatically applied to your order. Your copy of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition will arrive on 12/7/2010."

<3<3<3

Yeah, I just got the same one. Though it still shows the delivery date as the 10th on my order history.

Lain

Amazon UK shipped my copy of the CE. I hope it'll be here in time for the 7th, or at most the 8th/9th, although the delivery estimate says 14... but the last item they sent only took 2 to 3 days to get here, so I'll keep hoping for the best!

Lain said:
Amazon UK shipped my copy of the CE. I hope it'll be here in time for the 7th, or at most the 8th/9th, although the delivery estimate says 14... but the last item they sent only took 2 to 3 days to get here, so I'll keep hoping for the best!

All up to the weather now.

Effect

Signed back up and ready to go. Been doing the revamped Gnome starting quest series and so far it's been enjoyable. If it wasn't for that the entire area would be as boring as it used to be. Tried playing a dwarf shaman but that class just doesn't click at all with me even though I liked the starting quest change for dwarfs. Might go at it again but as a different class in time. Just totally lost when it comes to the totems and when they should and how should they be used effectively.

Rolled a new female human hunter named "Crockette". I thought it was clever.

EDIT: Also, Amazon just confirmed release-date delivery for my Cataclysm CE.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
With this new expansion leveling guides are pretty unnecessary. They've laid it out so that you gain about 5 levels in each zone if you do all of the quests, and at the end of the quests it gives you a quest in the next zone appropriate for your level. I mean, there's no two ways about it, I'm leveling a LOT faster than I ever was in Vanilla or TBC, when I leveled my two mains, but I just can't believe people do it in like a week. :lol

I disagree with this. Embedded waypoints help a ton in getting from point A to point B for quests. Zygor's guides are great.

BigNastyCurve said:
I disagree with this. Embedded waypoints help a ton in getting from point A to point B for quests. Zygor's guides are great.

Yeah but now you only get 3-4 quests at a time. Theyre all displayed on your map and you even get an arrow on the minimap telling you where to go.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
BigNastyCurve said:

Yea I'm not seeing the real need either. I've yet to run across a single quest hub that didn't funnel me into a singular area for ALL available quests before funneling me to the next. Zones and quest progression are so partitioned now that it seems crazy that anyone would ever need a helping hand like Zygor.

notworksafe

BigNastyCurve said:
Lol paying for a guide. Especially when the experience is near duplicated by the in game guide.

I suppose leveling guides are useful to the poopsocker types though.

Sethos

Banned
You don't need quests guides whatsoever now, areas are so streamlined now it's unbelievable - Find hub with flight-patch, get 3 quests, go to one area and complete in 5-10 mins, back and get the next 3 that are also in the same area close by.

There's little to no travelling, flight paths everywhere, all the long quest lines have been scaled back about 300% and can be solo'd easily - Anyone remember the long, horrid quest-lines from Duskwood? All gone or cut down to basically nothing.

Quest guides for 1-60 have indeed been rendered useless.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
BigNastyCurve said:

Have you even done the new quests for low lvls? Who needs a guide when its impossible to miss any quests now, thanks for having a quest pointing you to a new quest hub every time you are done with a previous one, just like they did with Outlands & Northrend before.

Infinity

I like the streamlined quests. Rolled an alt the other day, and he's already 34. No leveling guide necessary.

Long walking times gone, and btw, Stonetalon is amazingly fun!

Negator

I think Aurarian from Blackhand on the spreadsheet name changed or transfered, he isn't on the server :lol

Come roll alliance on Blackhand, you know you want to be part of <Gwen Stefani>.

hyduK

Banned
Bisnic said:
Have you even done the new quests for low lvls? Who needs a guide when its impossible to miss any quests now, thanks for having a quest pointing you to a new quest hub every time you are done with a previous one, just like they did with Outlands & Northrend before.
It's still faster with a guide, the point of the guide is to get 1-60 as fast as possible...there's a lot of quests that should be skipped when doing that, it has nothing to do with missing quests.

notworksafe

Negator said:
I think Aurarian from Blackhand on the spreadsheet name changed or transfered, he isn't on the server :lol

Come roll alliance on Blackhand, you know you want to be part of <Gwen Stefani>.
He moved to A52 with the cool kids! :D I'll change his info.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, if you do literally every quest available, you'll start out-leveling the intended quest line. Quest guides can be useful in those cases.

Not necessary by any measure, though.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm level 49 now after leveling up twice quickly last night. The quest drops feel damn near 100% now and it's so nice.

Woooo! Just got an email from Amazon stating my CE was upgraded to release-day shipping and has been automatically applied. That's nice as I was just trying to switch it once again with no luck.

Guess I'll be resubscribing Tuesday morning. :D

Something seems to be wrong with my game since I've had to reinstall. It keeps saying it's downloading and it's constantly trying to apply a non critical update.

I may just delete the WHOLE thing and reinstall in safe mode... ugh. Hours wasted.

B-Dex

The Non-critical updates thing is apparently the game moving files around and converting audio files. You can play while it's doing that according to blizz.

FLEABttn

Banned
My GF's CE still hasn't auto converted to release date shipping, nor can she change it to that either.

Amazon's handling of this has been really poor and forced me to get mine from Walmart (ew). I'll definitely have second thoughts about any pre-orders for limited editions from Amazon in the future.

KaYotiX

Banned
VGChampion said:
Woooo! Just got an email from Amazon stating my CE was upgraded to release-day shipping and has been automatically applied. That's nice as I was just trying to switch it once again with no luck.

Guess I'll be resubscribing Tuesday morning. :D

Better log in now and get in line to re-activate. Ive been waiting for 2 hrs and still have 4 hrs to go.....this is rediculous.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Started up 2 days ago and played my pvp horde pally, haven't touched in years. Was lvl 38 board and had no idea where to go, already hit 44 in the plague lands, love the questvsetup now.

Now question, if I'm not going to play the high lvl stuff is there a reason to buy cata? I mean is there any low lvl stuff besides new races in cata or has it allready been given to use free?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Warnen said:
Started up 2 days ago and played my pvp horde pally, haven't touched in years. Was lvl 38 board and had no idea where to go, already hit 44 in the plague lands, love the questvsetup now.

Now question, if I'm not going to play the high lvl stuff is there a reason to buy cata? I mean is there any low lvl stuff besides new races in cata or has it allready been given to use free?

The low lvl stuff available only with Cataclysm is the 2 new races and their 1-12 zones. Everything else is for lvl 80+

Arsin

Not sure if this has been discussed very much or not, but where is everyone going to start leveling their 80s? This expansion is offering two zones to start the push to 85, Mount Hyjal and Vash'ir. Both are leave 80-82 zones and both seem to be quite interesting lore wise. I am going to going through Hyjal first. I find myself more interested to see what the heck Malfurion has been up to in the Emerald Dream. What about you guys?

Zone you are going to level in first:

Why that zone:

Sethos

Banned
What did they do to the hunter? I've played a high-level hunter before and I've now started a new Human Hunter. The pet is completely incapable of holding aggro now, even with growl and kill command I can snatch back aggro in 2 auto-attacks and an arcane shot. Right now it's not the biggest of problems as every mob is way below my level and they have minuscule health pools but damn, I'm afraid of what might happen at higher levels.

Still enjoying it though, no more mana and the removal of ammo and quivers / pouches is a blessing but the focus thing takes a bit of getting used, constantly having to fire steady shot to get some focus is a bit naff.

Oh, is anyone else holding off on Cataclysm for now, either buying or starting the expansion? Every expansion release I held off trying the new areas until at least 2 weeks post-launch to avoid the initial rush with a million and two people doing the same quest, every area is barren of mobs and everything just gets frustrating.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Warnen said:

You wont be able to be a Goblin or Worgen, fly in the old world at level 60, or do the archeology profession. I think that's all.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can I really not do archeology? I was hoping that would just unlock and I wouldn't have to give them my money yet :/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
KibblesBits said:
Something seems to be wrong with my game since I've had to reinstall. It keeps saying it's downloading and it's constantly trying to apply a non critical update.

I may just delete the WHOLE thing and reinstall in safe mode... ugh. Hours wasted.

I DLed the entire client and I'm experiencing the same issue. The launcher hangs on "applying non-critical updates. This may take some time" forever. Either "some time" is an understatement (I let the launcher run overnight for 2 nights straight) or something went wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. The game still runs completely fine.

Grampasso

I don't know if it's a problem of mine or it's widespread but I can't seem to manage to resurrect people because there's a blank html page instead of the usual page to throw a scroll (I did the process 1 month ago and I had no problem). I tried with both Firefox and IE, I think they're changing something (maybe the very page or something in the process), or they're avoiding people from being resurrected (why, that's a mistery).
Anyone else having trouble with EU scrolls?

scoobs

Welp just hit 80 on my DK and got all blues finally... filled my quest log with quests to turn in on tuesday :D I'm ready!!

GDJustin said:
I DLed the entire client and I'm experiencing the same issue. The launcher hangs on "applying non-critical updates. This may take some time" forever. Either "some time" is an understatement (I let the launcher run overnight for 2 nights straight) or something went wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. The game still runs completely fine.

I did the same thing. I downloaded the client and noticed the launcher hangs and when I'm on a flight to somewhere the d/l symbol pops up constantly. On top of that 1kneedles looks like it has no water until you're standing in it. There's actually a lot of people who are just getting this 'issue' so I'm thinking it is the game client fault. Before I had WOW installed off a hard copy of vanilla and bc and there was no problem.

I'm going to let it sit for a while before I do a complete reinstall. And yes, as mentioned I've had the launcher up and let it 'work' for a while too. I think the error is blizzard side tbh.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
As far as applying non critical updates goes.. in the past few nights I've seen it pop up and I've had everything installed for long time.

KibblesBits said:
I did the same thing. I downloaded the client and noticed the launcher hangs and when I'm on a flight to somewhere the d/l symbol pops up constantly. On top of that 1kneedles looks like it has no water until you're standing in it. There's actually a lot of people who are just getting this 'issue' so I'm thinking it is the game client fault. Before I had WOW installed off a hard copy of vanilla and bc and there was no problem.

I'm going to let it sit for a while before I do a complete reinstall. And yes, as mentioned I've had the launcher up and let it 'work' for a while too. I think the error is blizzard side tbh.
You sound like you're in the yellow stage.

"AVAILABLE (YELLOW): Base game, or 70% of content, is not completely applied. You can play, but your game experience will not be ideal. You should ideally have 1 MB/sec or better when choosing to play."

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The more people experiencing the issue the better. More likely to be prioritized by Blizz. I'm playing on a mac. Any chance you are, too?

Deathnote - what we're both describing is the stage AFTER all the data has been DLed. The full amount is downloaded and the launcher isn't trying to DL more. The entire bar is full, and the launcher says "applying updates" but never completes.

I've found the game to be entirely playable in this state.

Effect

Questing is a lot more straight forward and you are pointed to everything it seems so far. Up to level 14 on my Gnome Mage (highest I've gone with the class). However it makes the delivery of the story that much better I think. While many MMOs act like their story is important Blizzard with WoW really does put a significant focus on it. Or has as the years have passed. One of the things that set their RTS apart from other RTS I think as well.

Usually no one talking in general chat in some areas bothered me but I've been so focused on the storyline so far I haven't paid much attention to it. Though I did take some satisfaction from seeing some gnome warrior not being able to complete a quest due to needing help killing an enemy. I would have helped but earlier on he screwed me over when it came to the dueling achievement. We dueled and he won. I asked could we do it again so I could get the achievement as well. Being a bit higher in level then me he naturally won. He'd waited twice until I needed one or two more hits before he started attacking me and in the end winning. He wanted to do it a third time but couldn't be bothered. I ended up killing the enemy he had trouble with in front him as he tried to invite me to a group. :lol Advice to any new players watch how you act towards others. It will be remembered. I usually have no problem adding people to my ignore list as well. When I find out I can't hear someone I check and there is usually a reason why they are their and I rarely remove someone beyond doing so to let them know they are on my ignore before putting them back on.

Well I hit 80 on a pally tonight and got release day shipping from amazon so I should be set.
I figure at this point there is no need to try and get any gear as the new quests will give decent item level rewards. I'm pretty excited for the new content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom