• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI, despite what the FAQ page says, I have a Lich King account and the Scroll of Resurrection DID WORK. I'm in for 10 days now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Pinzer said:
For this expansion, the focus really seems to be the updated old content. The new endgame zones and raids really don't seem that compelling. The zones are scattered and they practically invented villains (I know they didn't, but this is the first time we've heard about them in WoW). I wish they would spend more time creating new villains in expansions so we'd have a history with them a few expansions later. Like if Deathwing had made some appearances in Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, foreshadowing his return. Illidan and Arthas were great cause we all knew them from Warcraft iii.

Deathwing was in the older Warcraft games if i remember right, and he was mentioned a few times before Cataclysm. It just wasn't very obvious. Some books around the world mentioned him quite often, and the same thing happened during that Netherwing quest hub in Shadowmoon Valley where that black(in other words, a follower of Deathwing) female dragon showed up and said her master was getting impatient about the netherwing, or something like that. I think the black dragon in human form at Dragonblight's tower also mention her master.

But sure, if you are someone who the only thing they know about Warcraft is WC3, but never touched the older games, or the books, or read all the lore inside WoW itself... i guess Deathwing and all the other bad guys are "new".

JWong

Banned
Bisnic said:
Deathwing was in the older Warcraft games if i remember right, and he was mentioned a few times before Cataclysm. It just wasn't very obvious. Some books around the world mentioned him quite often, and the same thing happened during that Netherwing quest hub in Shadowmoon Valley where that black(in other words, a follower of Deathwing) female dragon showed up and said her master was getting impatient about the netherwing, or something like that. I think the black dragon in human form at Dragonblight's tower also mention her master.

But sure, if you are someone who the only thing they know about Warcraft is WC3, but never touched the older games, or the books, or read all the lore inside WoW itself... i guess Deathwing and all the other bad guys are "new".
Onyxia and Nefarian are/were Deathwing's kids. The lore has been littered all over since Vanilla. It is there, so it shouldn't be that new.

Bisnic

It's all the villains other than Deathwing that might be new to most people who didn't follow the lore outside of WoW & WC3. I mean who ever heard of Cho'gall outside of the books or maybe older Warcraft games? (I admit WC3 was my 1st Warcraft game too). For most people playing WoW, he is just that cool 2 heads ogre with a bunch of eyes on his body.

ultron87

Still haven't seen that often rumored Emerald Dream expansion. Though that's been rumored so often as the next one that I don't think it really counts anymore.

webrunner

Yeah, there's been Deathwing-related content in Vanilla (Ony and Nef), in outland (a questline involved the dragonmaw clan and black dragons), in northrend (return of Ony, just 'cuz), and in warcraft 2.

I think he's actually one of the biggest major returning characters in the series. I mean, other major characters like Arthas and Jaina were Warcraft 3 introductions, and earlier major characters like Alleria are nowhere to be found (her two sisters are in WoW but nobody knows where Alleria and Turyalon are)

Edit: One thing they were going to do is expand Outland using portals to other demon worlds. They could conceivably still do that as an expansion.

EditEdit: Emerald Dream was obviously intended but it may be off the table now they've resolved the Nightmare issue off-screen in one of the novels.

Macattk15

Bisnic said:

I think that Dragon out in Netherwing rep land was Sinestra who is also a boss now in some raid?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
OK so, last time I played WoW was 12 months ago, in late 09. In mid 2010 my account was hacked. I didn't even know - a friend alerted me. Said I had been in-game in Wintergrasp for hours and hours.

I changed my password, alerted Blizzard, that whole thing. I didn't even bother to log on and check the damage, because I didn't have the game files installed at the time. Today was my first time in-game since the hacking.

1) Hacker dropped 450 Tailoring and trained Mining from 1 up to 450. (I'm a Warlock).
2) Bags were emptied, and were now filled with 30+ stacks of Saronite Ore and other misc. gems.
3) All equipment was 100% broken (red).

Worst hacker ever. Why hack an account to start a tradeskill over from scratch?

In some ways it's a little funny. I was like "Mining? WTF???" + the hacker earned me a couple WG achievements.

But... I'd like to know what my options are, here. Can I file a GM petition to have my account rolled back or something? This happened in June/July... I have a sinking feeling that I don't have much recourse at this point and am just stuck with this borked character...

Edit: The new launcher is amazing, btw. I was in-game & playing with just 130MB downloaded. It lets you in, then DLs the data it needs on the fly. Open my bags, and there is a ~2 second delay as it DLs the icon data. Same for hopping in mounts, etc.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I don't understand where people get the idea that there is an actual limit to the number of theoretical WoW expansions. Everquest 1 is on its 17th expansion, guys - one was just released in October. Blizzard is going to have at least a core team developing new expansions for this game until they finally pull the plug. That certainly won't happen until they come out with a proper successor(probably not their next MMO), and even then most likely not for a long time. If they finally run out of all the big bad guys in the Warcraft universe(there are a lot), they'll make up some new ones, problem solved.

dave is ok said:
The lost continent of Southrend!
:lol :lol :lol

Zek said:
I don't understand where people get the idea that there is an actual limit to the number of theoretical WoW expansions. Everquest 1 is on its 17th expansion, guys - one was just released in October. Blizzard is going to have at least a core team developing new expansions for this game until they finally pull the plug. That certainly won't happen until they come out with a proper successor(probably not their next MMO), and even then most likely not for a long time. If they finally run out of all the big bad guys in the Warcraft universe(there are a lot), they'll make up some new ones, problem solved.
Yep. gameplay > lore

ultron87

We haven't fought Sargeras yet. Though I think he's still quite a bit above the theoretical power levels of the player characters. And Kil'jaeden didn't die in Sunwell.

So the next expansion will just be Burning Crusade 2.

Ferrio

Banned
JWong said:
Emerald Dream corruption has been concluded in the books. Malfurion is back.

Still doesn't mean it couldn't open up for another reason. Even if it did, I wonder how exciting they could actually make it. I mean it's just another Azeroth...

Sykra

JWong said:
Emerald Dream corruption has been concluded in the books. Malfurion is back.

Yea, the part that Xavius had in all of that did end, however there is still a dark god that caused all that around and he is rumored to be the one of the raid bosses in this expansion.

TheYanger

Macattk15 said:
I think that Dragon out in Netherwing rep land was Sinestra who is also a boss now in some raid?

Yeah she's the 'hard mode only' boss in Bastion of Twilight.

Anyone trying to say Deathwing hasn't been a major character...dunno what to say. Just because someone wasn't in Warcraft 3 doesn't mean they haven't been in other games, in the lore since vanilla wow, or important to what's going on. Deathwing is related to some degree with almost every dragon interaction you've seen in the game so far. In war2X he was a unit with as much hp as a barracks, total beast.

Can't wait to fight him.

Same for Cho'Gall, he was really important in beyond the dark portal, has been in the comics and all that stuff, and has always been the leader of Twilight's Hammer, which have been around forever in wow.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It makes sense that wotlk accounts are eligible for scrolls now. The entire point is to get people back to buy the newest expansion. I said in a previous thread that I also expect a new battlechest out by January at the latest. Either a $30 one going up through wotlk or like a $60 one going all the way through Cata.

Zek said:

Pretty much this. Blizz can just keep adding more big bads to the game. Hell, we have barely spent any time with the bronze dragonflight, there's a whole expansion right there!

Or a dungeon where Agamaggan comes back to life and we must purify his soul blah blah blah

There's a wealth of lore for Blizzard still to explore even before they have to start making new powerful characters.

ultron87

vocab said:
Is there anywhere I can get WoW Vanilla for cheap these days?

Last week you could've gotten it for five bucks.

Amazon has it for $15 right now. Or 30 with Burning Crusade included.

I wouldn't be shocked if Blizzard put it on sale again right before Christmas.

If anyone has an extra scroll of resurrection, I would less-than-three you! Pretty please...with a cherry on top. I'm a bit skeptical with re-subbing before playing the content.

Kyoufu

Attackthebase said:
If anyone has an extra scroll of resurrection, I would less-than-three you! Pretty please...with a cherry on top. I'm a bit skeptical with re-subbing before playing the content.

US client I assume? If so, drop me your email in a PM and I'll send you one.

kodt

Banned
ultron87 said:
Still haven't seen that often rumored Emerald Dream expansion. Though that's been rumored so often as the next one that I don't think it really counts anymore.

Wasn't the emerald dream only for Male Night Elf Druids though?

Soroc

I've got 5 Scrolls of Resurrection to use if anywone is looking to get back in and try the new content. US Client though. Just shoot me a PM with your email address.

NWS great job on the OT! Looks awesome!!!

Bisnic

JWong said:
No. Haven't been since Burning Crusade.

The only rare CE is the original, which I shelled out $600 for.

What the hell? Even as a WoW fan, i think paying 600$ for this is ridiculous. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
JWong said:
No. Haven't been since Burning Crusade.

The only rare CE is the original, which I shelled out $600 for.

Was that sealed? I love flaunting my zergling/diablo/panda. Funny when I resubscribed after 2 years, so many people had no idea where they came from. Which I find odd since when I had played before everyone had one pretty much.

Swag

Got my collectors edition pre ordered, too bad I'm gonna lose all my achievements from my main, peace out Invincible, it was fun riding you :lol

Re rolling new mains sucks :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom