• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mister Zimbu said:
Overall the expansion is kind of underwhelming for me, and feels like "more of the same", instead of the revolutionary changes that came with TBC and LK gameplay and progression-wise. This may, however, be a really good sign that Blizzard has the formula down.

Despite all this, I'm still having alot of fun.

This expansion has completely reinvigorated my interest in the game, and I'm still plowing through freebie 'shattering' content. Though I have yet to see any of the new Cata "premium" stuff I will agree that it can be considered more of the same. I love all of the new content and questing, but there isn't anything new here to shake up the core experience like flying mounts in TBC or DK in WoLK.

Archaeology is a goofy time waster, and goblins/worgen to me only add a bit of flavor and new starting zones. I'm really pleased that the new dungeons are proving exciting. I never got into the endgame grind much, but I might try it out this time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mister Zimbu said:
Guild levelling is a cool concept, but I don't like the execution. The caps seem to be really, really low, to the point where my small guild (40 members) will hit the XP cap within a couple hours of the reset. I feel like I'm not contributing whatsoever, due to the fact that I'm not logged on at 4am and that we're capped by the time I *do* start. What mainly bothers me about this is that almost all guilds in the game will hit max level at exactly the same time, and the fact that you can pretty much schedule the exact date and time that you'll hit max level, especially since they removed XP gains from guild achievements. Overall, your perks are pretty much completely based on "How long has my guild been around?", rather than some other meaningful metric. I don't really have a good suggestion on how to make it better, though, without making it less accessible to smaller or really casual guilds. Also, the "You have already earned the max reputation for your guild for this week" message every time I do ANYTHING is really annoying.
afaik guild xp holds over from all guild members to the following day(s). likewise, once hitting the weekly cap the xp spills over to the following week.

I also think you may be missing something big here.. to me it seems the guild xp rationing comes from not only leveling the playing field, but also to prevent guilds from blowing through the perks in a couple of weeks. eventually the smaller guilds likely won't be able to hit the daily or weekly cap while the larger guilds will still be at or near the caps.

IMHO the execution on guild leveling is brilliant. It gives hardcore raider guilds a reason to populate a casual segment (and likewise a motivation for them to bring in casual raiders) and at the same time gives smaller guilds a bit of a leveled playing field at being competitive with the larger guilds (at least at the start).

about the only negative aspect of the new guild system is that truly tiny guilds (<20 people) will have a difficult time being competitive in the system. however the fact is that guilds of that size will have a difficult time being competitive no matter what in terms of raiding. but as long as you can fill a 25-man raid reliably, I see these first few weeks as being pretty much the same for most guilds, and the larger/hardcore guilds pulling away from the smaller/casual guilds probably not until closer to the end of the year or later.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Alex said:
The end of Vashj'ir was fucking amazing, better presentation and production values in some of these chains than most single player rpgs.

Silverpine had me saying that. The few hours I put into that 10-20 zone solo were heaps beyond the pitiful several hours I wasted with FFXIII earlier this year.

webrunner

borghe said:
afaik guild xp holds over from all guild members to the following day(s). likewise, once hitting the weekly cap the xp spills over to the following week.

I also think you may be missing something big here.. to me it seems the guild xp rationing comes from not only leveling the playing field, but also to prevent guilds from blowing through the perks in a couple of weeks. eventually the smaller guilds likely won't be able to hit the daily or weekly cap while the larger guilds will still be at or near the caps.

IMHO the execution on guild leveling is brilliant. It gives hardcore raider guilds a reason to populate a casual segment (and likewise a motivation for them to bring in casual raiders) and at the same time gives smaller guilds a bit of a leveled playing field at being competitive with the larger guilds (at least at the start).

about the only negative aspect of the new guild system is that truly tiny guilds (<20 people) will have a difficult time being competitive in the system. however the fact is that guilds of that size will have a difficult time being competitive no matter what in terms of raiding. but as long as you can fill a 25-man raid reliably, I see these first few weeks as being pretty much the same for most guilds, and the larger/hardcore guilds pulling away from the smaller/casual guilds probably not until closer to the end of the year or later.

Does the spillover also spill over? eg, if a guild has a cap of Y and gets 3X xp, does that mean that the next day the immediately cap, then the day after they also immedately cap?

Or if it doesn't, doesn't that mean that anything beyond 2X is again, completely unused?

Jin

The Lamonster said:
Vashj'ir is just awesome. I love going to the surface and flying above it and seeing just a bunch of water and some mountains, but knowing all the crazy shit that's going on under the sea at that moment.

And the seahorse mount is something I've wanted since the BC days.

Yesterday someone ask in General chat why they can't use the seahorse mount on land.

webrunner said:
If only there was some sort of land equivalent of a sea horse.

Like a.. landseahorse.
:lol :lol

Seriously, sitting at work knowing I've only skimmed the surface of the xpac is killing me. I got to 81 last night and mostly 10m ICC tanking gear and some ICC25 Fury gear but tanking the Tides instance was not an easy task. I seemed squishy and the healers were all average geared (heroic and questline stuff from WoTLK) but we wiped a few times.

Ended up clearing it but I forgot tanking in xpacs is a chore ... ah well, have to stick to my guns.

I do find it easier to level as Arms than Fury though, that miss rate was killing me.

Magnus

Brandon F said:
Silverpine had me saying that. The few hours I put into that 10-20 zone solo were heaps beyond the pitiful several hours I wasted with FFXIII earlier this year.
It's a testament to blizzard's abilities and a tragic mark against Square that I can feel infinitely more engaged in the story, visuals and overall presentation of a low level MMO zone than in XIII, their ultra cinematic single player rpg, even in it's climactic endgame moments.

Amazing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmph, So I'm trying to accept the scroll of ressurection and on the page I click the big "confirm" button and it just reloads the page and starts be back up at the top without registering it. Anyone else have this problem?

thefil

Jtwo said:
Hmmph, So I'm trying to accept the scroll of ressurection and on the page I click the big "confirm" button and it just reloads the page and starts be back up at the top without registering it. Anyone else have this problem?

I had that happen as well. I figure they just finally got wise to how many times I abused it. I caved and paid the $15, and so far it's been worth it just to experience how they've improved the MMO paradigm.

Just finished my first dungeon finder instance, and it was a great experience. I've also decided to leave the newbie tooltips on; it's interesting to try and experience the game as a casual player instead of worrying about being perfect and all. I was able to tank my first instance ever without knowing exactly what my move did, and I feel I did a pretty good job.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Jtwo said:

You can only use a scroll once in the life of the account. If you try again at some point will just bounce you back to the confirm page.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aw. I used a scroll once in like 2008.
Boo, guess I have to play 15 bucks.

Philthy

I think I'm finally burned out on the entire MMO thing. Bought the expansion, started a new character and made it to level 6 and it just makes me physically ill to level and do the exact same quests I've done before. Never thought I'd ever see the day. Watching Everquest consume 5 years of my life, WoW eating a good two years.. I'm finally free!!

ethic

Jtwo said:

Don't Scroll of Resurrections only work if you haven't upgraded to Wrath?

I love how progression is this expansion actually makes you feel like you're accomplishing something.
BC and WotLK just made leveling and questing feel like a chore and a mishmash of random crap.

I'm loving how inflated the prices are on the AH for Obsidium. But, it's hard to find a good place to mine what with everyone and their mother mining it.

I'm also wondering why so many people break up their stacks and sell one unit at a time. Sometimes I will just not buy what I need if I see that it's parsed out like that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How long is the Scroll of Resurrection good for once I send it out?
Your friend has one month to accept the invitation and try The Burning Crusade; the offer expires if it is not used within that time. Each friend can only be sent an invitation a total of three times in this program (from any combination of current players). After that, the person is no longer an eligible Scroll of Resurrection recipient.

Wait a minute! I should be eligable then, I've only ever used it once.
I'm also not upgraded to wraith of lich king

DarkKyo

I am loving playing as Worgen..
whbsr.jpg

Takuan

Dechaios said:
I am loving playing as Worgen..
<snip>
Me too! I got rid of my Night Elf DK that I started up last weekend in favour of a Worgen just so that I could run around on all fours. I also started up a rogue, and I love the idle stealth stance pose.

I also like entering Running Wild mode then spamming turn left & turn right on the spot, because it looks like my toon has dropped something and is frantically searching for it. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
tyrone888 said:
Only time I ever got this error was when I was OC'ing my CPU wrong.
That's a possibility. Another possibility is bad drivers...those can definitely cause access violations if address spaces overlap with other devices.

TheExodu5

Banned
Philthy said:
I think I'm finally burned out on the entire MMO thing. Bought the expansion, started a new character and made it to level 6 and it just makes me physically ill to level and do the exact same quests I've done before. Never thought I'd ever see the day. Watching Everquest consume 5 years of my life, WoW eating a good two years.. I'm finally free!!
Eh? Judging quest quality after an hour of play seems pretty harsh.

I also don't really get why you'd buy the expansion if you just wanted to play a new character.

iammeiam said:
I also felt like I did a lot more during the Goblin areas than the Worgen, but got more levels out of Worg. Just strange overall.

Yes, I felt like the levels just rolled in the Worgen starting zone. Maybe it was all the damn traveling in the goblin zone, but you get your first levels there far more slowly.

Well, it's nice to know some things don't change. Just had a warrior roll on a paladin shield. +Int and +Spirit and +Stam. Herp A Derp! I made fun of him all the way to the exit.

KibblesBits said:
Well, it's nice to know some things don't change. Just had a warrior roll on a paladin shield. +Int and +Spirit and +Stam. Herp A Derp! I made fun of him all the way to the exit.

"has stam, must be a warrior item, screw the fact that its better suited to someone else in here"

all i can give is....guild runs ftw. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jibber Hack said:
I'm loving how inflated the prices are on the AH for Obsidium. But, it's hard to find a good place to mine what with everyone and their mother mining it.

I'm also wondering why so many people break up their stacks and sell one unit at a time. Sometimes I will just not buy what I need if I see that it's parsed out like that.
It's funny how Obsidium is harder to get than Elementium, even if only because most people haven't really reached Twilight Highlands.

I've got about 250 Elementium ores sitting around, probably going to need a couple thousand though. I've got Blacksmithing and 2 alts with engineering.

Raide

AmericanNinja said:
for someone that has never played WoW, how do you all recommend getting into it? just buy WoW and all the expansions right away.

Download trial, see how you get on. Really no point in getting WoW + Expansions if you find out 10 days later you don't like it. :D

Gattsu25

Banned
Heh.

So if I log into the game and get into a server's character select screen and want to connect to a different server, I can hit the "Change Server" button and change to another server.

If I log into the game and have to wait on the first server's queue before I can try to change servers.

So let's say that I want to play on Mal'Ganis but the last server that I was signed into was Area 52 (US).

I try to log on and see that I have a 800+ person queue on Area 52 so I hit the "Change Realm" button.

I get the server selection screen and I chose Mal'Ganis.

Deathwing in the background freezes as a "Logging in to game server" popup appears (I can leave this on the screen for 20 minutes and nothing will ever happen)

I can hit cancel on this and return back to the server select screen where the same behavior occurs for any server I try.

I can to hit the Cancel button on the server select screen which takes me to a blank character select screen for the last server that I tried to connect to.

When I hit the Back button on the empty character select screen, I am logged out, and I can then log back in before I can try to connect to any server.

The only way I have seen where I can chose another server is to let the queue for Area 52 expire, then on the populated Area 52 character select screen I can click the Change Realm button, try to connect to Mal'Ganis, and then have to sit through the Mal'Ganis queue before I can play on the character I wanted to play on.

So the expansion has been live for 3 days now in Europe.

Have I received the game yet? Of course not. Amazon and play both fail. Tracking hasn't changed since monday morning. Ridiculous.

thefil

To anyone starting new horde characters: Ashzara is required questing. I'm overlevelled and getting no experience from the quests, just doing it for fun, and it's fantastic.

KaYotiX

Banned
Raide said:
Download trial, see how you get on. Really no point in getting WoW + Expansions if you find out 10 days later you don't like it. :D
Agree 110% with this. IMO you prolly should if bought wow and the 2 xpacs last week when it was all like $25

zlatko

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
So the expansion has been live for 3 days now in Europe.

Have I received the game yet? Of course not. Amazon and play both fail. Tracking hasn't changed since monday morning. Ridiculous.

I assume it's for the collectors edition, because if it's just standalone regular disc why would you not use a digital code instead?

Good luck though. :(

Cels

If someone wants to start playing the game as a Worgen/Goblin, they need to pony up $80? Really? ($20 for Battle Chest, $20 for Wrath, $40 for Cata)

Narag

Cels said:
If someone wants to start playing the game as a Worgen/Goblin, they need to pony up $80? Really? ($20 for Battle Chest, $20 for Wrath, $40 for Cata)

Yes, it's a feature of the expansion, not the base game.

KaYotiX

Banned
Cels said:
Only $65 If u caught the awesome deal blizz had a little bit ago and yeah, it's the main feature of the expansion.

Twig

Banned
Maxrpg said:
I'm surprised none of you noticed "eating banana bread" :lol
We did. U:

Cels said:
Yep. Pretty fuckin' stupid, innit?

thefil

kai3345 said:
Ran through RFC on mah Drood.

Sad that there weren't as many changes as Deadmines

Just did BFD myself, same deal. Almost unchanged.

I really recommend SFC, quite epicly redone. I wonder how they decided which dungeons got the proper treatment and which ones got shafted?

*edit* I find it really strange that these brand new players are going to come into the game and see it as such a mixed bag. So far everything I've done has fallen into two categories:

Amazingly redone:
Ashzara
Deadmines
Shadowfang Keep

Disappointingly unchanged:
Mulgore
Ragefire Chasm
Blackfathom Depths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom