• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Except almost every MMO requires a monthly payment of some sort, while many don't give regular content updates like this one or the many that have come before, preferring to make them into mini-(or full)expansions ala FFXI/EQ/EQ2/CoH.

So yes, the content patches and additions can be considered free as the monthly payment is expected for games of this type.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
Seriously, you can't possibly be this stupid. They didn't do this for charity or to show gratitude towards fanbase support, it's to push their own agenda; the expansion storyline. I didn't say it was part of the expansion content, said it was part of the storyline genius. So not only are they doing it because they have to but because even Blizzard knows their 1-60 content is stale as 5 year old bread.

And stop calling it free, it's not free unless you think mommy and daddy paying for the game is 'free'. I've been a subscriber since the release of the game basically and bought every expansion, I like the game but every content patch pushed I don't consider free.

bitter much?

Sethos

Banned
notworksafe said:
Except almost every MMO requires a monthly payment of some sort, while many don't give regular content updates like this one or the many that have come before, preferring to make them into mini-(or full)expansions ala FFXI/EQ/EQ2/CoH.

So yes, the content patches and additions can be considered free as the monthly payment is expected for games of this type.

Some may feel they get more for their money but calling it free in any shape or form is stupid. I will concede Blizzard do push a lot of content which is great but I've still paid an ample amount over the years and supported their game enough to not bend over and worship their every action and word, especially not calling anything they do 'free'.

Sethos said:
Apparently, you could be that stupid.

Paying is the new free people.
You paid for years as nothing changed. Now you're still paying and almost everything changed. It is free assuming the context that a WOW player is only a WOW player as long as they are a subscriber.

Sethos said:
Some may feel they get more for their money but calling it free in any shape or form is stupid.

Here's a thought... In the story Deathwing doesn't destroy every single aspect of every single zone! Therefore not changing the zone much actually makes a shitload more sense than anything you're saying.

notworksafe

Sethos said:
Some may feel they get more for their money but calling it free in any shape or form is stupid.
I don't have to pay extra to access the additional content. It would still have been added even if I wasn't subscribed. As I stated before, paying a subscription fee is considered part of the requirements to play the game.

Raide

Nothing is free in WoW. Part of your subscription will go towards content updates, mainly to keep people playing until the next expansion, which regular players will buy regardless.

If you don't pay, you cannot use the content they provide. Pretty simple really.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sai-kun said:
Being Alchemy/Engineering sucks at times like this. :lol

I know what you mean. I'm Alch/Tailoring. Prices are dropping like a rock, though. As they should!

Literally two days ago a stack of Embersilk Cloth was selling for 350G on my server. 350! And not just listings, either. Guildmates were successfully selling stacks at that price. Today, stacks are selling for 140G. Which is still insane, but coming back down to earth.

Volatile Earths were selling for 35G each. Now they're 18.

Sethos

Banned
notworksafe said:
I don't have to pay extra to access the additional content. It would still have been added even if I wasn't subscribed.

And you wouldn't have access to it if you didn't subscribe, so it isn't free.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:

It's a "free" upgrade for current subscribes. Stop splitting hairs with your bullshit argument.

notworksafe

Sethos said:
Paying a subscription fee is considered part of the requirements to play the game. The subscription fee doesn't go up after a content patch.

Go play one of the many other MMOs that charge $10-$30 on top of the subscription fee to access a similar amount of content as what is included in a WoW content patch and then bitch to me. :lol

Sethos

Banned
Painraze said:
It's a "free" upgrade for current subscribes. Stop splitting hairs with your bullshit argument.

It's an update added to a paid service, the word free shouldn't be or have been used.

notworksafe said:
Paying a subscription fee is considered part of the requirements to play the game. The subscription fee doesn't go up after a content patch.

Go play one of the many other MMOs that charge $10-$30 on top of the subscription fee to access a similar amount of content as what is included in a WoW content patch and then bitch to me. :lol

Find me an MMO that is the freight train that is WoW, where Blizzard constantly have to keep on their toes to support the needs of every type of player and keep the subscriber numbers high to support the high-cost operation they have going.

It's a business they are running, not a charity organisation which only purpose is to show gratitude towards their fanbase by updating their content.

ultron87

/attemptTopicSwitch

Boy, that last fight in Hyjal sure was cool! I'd be kind of pissed if I came in halfway through the fight though, as I saw a Shaman do after I started it.

notworksafe

Sethos said:
Find me an MMO that is the freight train that is WoW, where Blizzard constantly have to keep on their toes to support the needs of every type of player and keep the subscriber numbers high to support the high-cost operation they have going.

It's a business they are running, not a charity organisation which only purpose is to show gratitude towards their fanbase by updating their content.
Not sure what you are trying to say here. Why does WoW being huge relate to what I said? Obviously they don't give out updates from the kindness of their heart. They also don't charge for them.

Blizzard gives out updates for free instead of making people pay extra on top of their subscription fee. Thanks for telling me why, I guess.

Alex

Hyjal is pretty good, but man it has nothing on Vashj'ir, IMO. Which is funny because I hate water levels and areas in games and I really wasn't looking forward to it prior to release.

I've got a good ways to go in Hyjal though to be fair, but it's more along the lines of really polished and well paced LK-ish fare where as Vashj'ir really felt fresh and crazy.

I don't get sick of that tune either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOJvUBydmA#t=4m16s

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GDJustin said:
I know what you mean. I'm Alch/Tailoring. Prices are dropping like a rock, though. As they should!

Literally two days ago a stack of Embersilk Cloth was selling for 350G on my server. 350! And not just listings, either. Guildmates were successfully selling stacks at that price. Today, stacks are selling for 140G. Which is still insane, but coming back down to earth.

Volatile Earths were selling for 35G each. Now they're 18.
I sold 10 stacks of savage leather at 120G each. I undercut AH prices even and figured "meh, it's a few sp to list, what the hell" and every single stack sold. of course as a tailor, I'm feeling the flipside with embersilk prices. even worse is that the drop on leather is significantly more frequent than cloth (in vashj'ir at least)

still a grand away from artisan riding though... bah... I can't believe they added master riding for 5K and still left artisan at 5K... LAME!

Meier

I haven't seen any queues on Lothar. I guess that's the good thing about being on there.

Prices have fallen like crazy for enchanting stuff but the actual enchants aren't worth shit. Exceptional Strength to gloves would cost something like 500g or so going by components (Hypnotic dust is selling for 80g per unit) but scrolls are selling for 50g!

ACE 1991

Anyone playing on one of the 2010 macbook pros? My laptop is turning to shit and I'm thinking of getting the 2.66ghz model, would love to know how wow performs on it.

thefil

ACE 1991 said:
Anyone playing on one of the 2010 macbook pros? My laptop is turning to shit and I'm thinking of getting the 2.66ghz model, would love to know how wow performs on it.

I'm playing on a 13" Macbook Pro from the latest refresh. It sits between 30-60 FPS on medium settings (which were the defaults when it ran). I'm incredible impressed.

Zozobra

I bought the WotLK expansion when it was on sale a little while back, but I didn't resub. Have I inadvertently made myself ineligible for a scroll of resurrection?

FlawlessCowboy said:
Edit: Ah, never mind. I didn't know you couldn't have a WoTLK account.

Well I guess that answers that.

ACE 1991

thefil said:
I'm playing on a 13" Macbook Pro from the latest refresh. It sits between 30-60 FPS on medium settings (which were the defaults when it ran). I'm incredible impressed.

Thanks. Are you running it on OSX? I hear playing games on macs using windows 7 really makes a huge difference in performance.

ultron87

Zozobra said:
I bought the WotLK expansion when it was on sale a little while back, but I didn't resub. Have I inadvertently made myself ineligible for a scroll of resurrection?

Did you ever activate it after you bought it? If not, then you are fine.

Zozobra

ultron87 said:
Did you ever activate it after you bought it? If not, then you are fine.

I could be mistaken, but since I bought it through the online Blizzard store, I think it was automatically activated. It says my product level is WotLK.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
ACE 1991 said:

I am. It runs fine on High. 30-45fps most of the time. It chugs a bit in Org and some of the higher population areas.

ACE 1991

aidan said:
I am. It runs fine on High. 30-45fps most of the time. It chugs a bit in Org and some of the higher population areas.

Cool! This is leaps and bounds better than what I'm getting now on my cheapy laptop. Thanks.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
funkmastergeneral said:
From the tooltip... "Summons and dismisses your subdued Abyssal Seahorse. This is a very fast mount. Can only be used in Vashj'ir"
The tooltip for the item itself. Not the buff you have while riding it...

Subdued Abyssal Seahorse
Binds when picked up
Mount
Requires Level 80
Requires Expert Riding
Item Level 80
Use: Teaches you how to beckon your subdued Abyssal Seahorse. Can only be summoned in aquatic environments. This is a very fast mount.

Chris R

Found some stuff last night so I made an investment :lol

LHxBS.jpg

Still haven't registered any of them though (shouldn't have opened the regular edition :( now I can't return it to Best Buy, who was sold out of the CEs)

Plan now though is to wait a few months and then jump back in full force with one of the CEs going on my primary account, and the regular going on the account I'm messing around with now that only has Vanilla/TBC/WotLK (thanks to that super sweet deal over Thanksgiving).

Might push the timetable up though if RAF requires the friend-ed account to purchase their 2 months of time within some date.

payday was today, might go buy two more CEs :( :( :( someone stop me

borghe

ACE 1991 said:
Thanks. Are you running it on OSX? I hear playing games on macs using windows 7 really makes a huge difference in performance.
I play on my hackintosh and honestly in terms of wow, literally hardware for hardware (obviously) there isn't much of a difference by default. I do get a little better performance in windows on my hardware when I specifically turn on DX11 mode.. but it's maybe 10fps tops... hardly enough to get me to boot out of OSX to play wow if I'm already doing iphone programming.

borghe

rhfb said:
payday was today, might go buy two more CEs :( :( :( someone stop me
IMHO, more than one CE is a waste of money (sorry). The CE to me is totally worth it for the physical stuff. The pets and SC2 avatars are a nice bonus, but really that's all that's added over a normal box. Don't regret my purchase for a second, but my wife asked if it was really worth it for her to get a CE and I said "unless you want second copies of the book and CD soundtrack, no". She didn't care about the lil' deathwing in the slightest.

oh, I suppose if you really want to gamble and hope you get a rare pet/mount from the loot card you've got that.. but really, it's a very expensive expansion if you buy more than one.

ACE 1991 said:
Hm. Interesting that is such a performance difference between the two people who posted here.
not really.. no one posted their CPU or GPU versions, and like the Tom's Hardware guide for Cata said, WoW is REALLY hard to benchmark being that someone in say Durator will have different results than someone in a 25-man raid. Also depends on what settings they are running.

looking at the cheapest MBP though, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run it on Good settings at native rez and easily be able to keep it above 30fps at all times. turn it up to high and maybe with AA turned off and you should even be able to keep it above 30fps most of the time.

Twig

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What price is it, then? We've been paying $15 a month for years and nothing really changed in the world and quest lines until right now.
You just answered your own question.

notworksafe

borghe said:
IMHO, more than one CE is a waste of money (sorry). The CE to me is totally worth it for the physical stuff. The pets and SC2 avatars are a nice bonus, but really that's all that's added over a normal box. Don't regret my purchase for a second, but my wife asked if it was really worth it for her to get a CE and I said "unless you want second copies of the book and CD soundtrack, no". She didn't care about the lil' deathwing in the slightest.

oh, I suppose if you really want to gamble and hope you get a rare pet/mount from the loot card you've got that.. but really, it's a very expensive expansion if you buy more than one.
I believe people buying a second CE are hoping it sells for much more in a year or two, not buying it to keep for themselves.

Chris R

notworksafe said:
I believe people buying a second CE are hoping it sells for much more in a year or two, not buying it to keep for themselves.
Bingo. I'd only use one of them, all the others are for sometime a year or more away.

Twig

Banned
Even TBC expansion still doesn't sell for that much more than its original price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JGJ6K0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://product.half.ebay.com/World-...dition-PC-Games-2007_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ56291239

The WoW CEs are no longer worth much, unless you happen to own the ORIGINAL'S Collector's Edition.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001O10V8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Though who knows if those actually sell. Every once in a while I check this page out of curiosity, and the prices seems to slowly increase as time goes on, but I don't know if anyone is actually buying them.

EDIT: Apparently WOTLK CE is more expensive than TBC CE. How weird. U:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4VCII/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ACE 1991

borghe said:

not really.. no one posted their CPU or GPU versions, and like the Tom's Hardware guide for Cata said, WoW is REALLY hard to benchmark being that someone in say Durator will have different results than someone in a 25-man raid. Also depends on what settings they are running.

looking at the cheapest MBP though, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run it on Good settings at native rez and easily be able to keep it above 30fps at all times. turn it up to high and maybe with AA turned off and you should even be able to keep it above 30fps most of the time.

Thanks. Does the upgraded 2.66ghz for 2.4ghz processor make much of a difference?

Twig said:
You just answered your own question.
That's the price you would pay to play anyway whether anything new was put in or not. That's the discussion. It's silly to complain that the entire world wasn't redone or that this is paid content, because we've paid for years when nothing was redone at all.

Twig said:
The WoW CEs are no longer worth much, unless you happen to own the ORIGINAL'S Collector's Edition.
I threw this shit away when moving, and a homeless dude took it out of my trash.

ACE 1991

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That's the price you would pay to play anyway whether anything new was put in or not. That's the discussion. It's silly to complain that the entire world wasn't redone or that this is paid content, because we've paid for years when nothing was redone at all.

I threw this shit away when moving, and a homeless dude took it out of my trash.

Right click to loot garbage pile. Hobo obtained [World of Warcraft Collector's Edition]

Sethos

Banned
JoeFu said:
Vashj'ir was so awesome. Easily my favorite zone in the game. What has y'alls been so far?

Uldum, by miles - What a fantastic zone, great atmosphere and some of the most hilarious quests I've ever encountered.

GDJustin

A big fail story for Blizz to think about -

Me and some buds decided we wanted to run a few dungeons. We start with regular BRC. We have three DPS and a healer, so we decide to use dungeon tool to get a tank.

Only two of us haven't been to the dungeon yet, so we have to fly there before we can queue.

Only one of us (me) doesn't meet the item ilvl for the dungeon, so we can't queue. Your ilvl is calculated from ALL the items you own, including your bags and bank - not what you have on. So I had to hearthstone, and clear out some misc. gear I had banked & could then queue for half the Cata dungeons.

Only one of our friends was 85, so he outleveled BRC regular, which is only for 80-83. So we couldn't queue.

Eventually we gave up and logged off.

I mean, I get it. With the random dungeon tool you need people to qualify. But BANKED GEAR preventing you? Someone being just 1-2 levels too high preventing you? Ridiculous.

Manus

GDJustin said:

Me and some buds decided we wanted to run a few dungeons. We start with regular BRC. We have three DPS and a healer, so we decide to use dungeon tool to get a tank.

Only two of us haven't been to the dungeon yet, so we have to fly there before we can queue.

Only one of us (me) doesn't meet the item ilvl for the dungeon, so we can't queue. Your ilvl is calculated from ALL the items you own, including your bags and bank - not what you have on. So I had to hearthstone, and clear out some misc. gear I had banked & could then queue for half the Cata dungeons.

Only one of our friends was 85, so he outleveled BRC regular, which is only for 80-83. So we couldn't queue.

I mean, I get it. With the random dungeon tool you need people to qualify. But BANKED GEAR preventing you? Someone being just 1-2 levels too high preventing you? Ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure that's not true at all. It's just what you have equipped.

GDJustin said:

This better not be what is fucking up my random dungeon finder today....

Worked fine yesterday.

GDJustin

SquirrelNuckle said:
I'm pretty sure that's not true at all. It's just what you have equipped.

Wrong. I mean, you read my post, right? Do you think I'm lying? I couldn't queue for BRC. I dropped my low-ilevel gear from my bank and bags, and then I could queue.

Besides, you don't need to take my anecdotal evidence. This is a well-known thing:

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/6/1/20/489/48932/bug-queue-system-and-average-item-level

If you're holding on to old tier sets for the memories, it is bringing down you average ilvl when determining random dungeon qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom