• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Budd is the best, the entire boat from Org lost it when he started talking. Best voice work in the whole game.

"AHOOOOOY"

OK don't worry about your banks when it comes the the iLvl bug. Just manually enter one of the 4 Cata leveling dungeons and voila, the Dungeon Finder works again!

Pride

Yazus said:
48 Worgen Druid here. Got tired of my 4 years old Paladin (from Holy to Prot to Retri to Holy again...:lol ), looking for something similar but more fun.

I love how Restoration works and I will probably use it as my main-spec... also Worgens are soooo cool :D !!

I am so looking forward to lvl85 atm... my Server is very very slow in raiding so it's not a matter of staying behind progress... just a matter of personal achievment :D

How do you like playing a Druid? I love the stealth of the rogue but hate endgame rogue. Looking for something different but good in PVP.

If they weren't fixing the horrible issues with bugged quests stopping massive chunks of quest chains from being completed (i.e. one broken quest stops you from finishing that one & allowing you into the next set of quests elsewhere), this expansion would be on my shitlist so fast. I'm 139/160 in Vashj'ir with no end in sight if that'll be fixed beyond me scavenging for the other 7 random drop/kills that start from that. Too many people have stated similar problems of hitting the mid 140's there and then......nothing.

I did thoroughly enjoy Deephome & Uldum though. Good stuff there.

GDJustin said:
For those following along, I now have 360G on my special auction alt, Accumulation:

http://wowaccumulation.tumblr.com/

:D :D :D

I started the toon FIVE DAYS ago. She ran straight into Stormwind, sold the clothes off her back + her weapon, and could use ONLY that money to progress. No mob drops, handouts, etc.

That's 7c in starting money. 7c to 350g+ in five days, with nothing but the auction house. Woot woot.

Most of it is luck, owing to the dude that very stupidly listed tons of huge enchants with cheap bids.

Wow, nice blog and nice tips. Since Cata hit I've made about 30k on the auction house. I'm worried I'm getting addicted to it since I just subscribed to the remote AH. Anyway, Cobalt ore on my server ran out with a few auctions left at the regular price of like 30g a stack. Bought them up and posted them for 130g. That'll have to get me by today as I won't be home to gather any ore, but I'm going to guess it's a madhouse out there anyway. Will keep checking out your posts.

DiatribeEQ said:
If they weren't fixing the horrible issues with bugged quests stopping massive chunks of quest chains from being completed (i.e. one broken quest stops you from finishing that one & allowing you into the next set of quests elsewhere), this expansion would be on my shitlist so fast. I'm 139/160 in Vashj'ir with no end in sight if that'll be fixed beyond me scavenging for the other 7 random drop/kills that start from that. Too many people have stated similar problems of hitting the mid 140's there and then......nothing.

This always happens, though.
And it's even worse, now that there's so much phasing and event quests.
We're not even a week in, though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

One thing, however, that still bugs me.

Why in the hell are Braziers in Cata still not being given their proper names. I found a whole batch of them in Uldum that were still Doodads.
Oh, Blizzard. 6 years, and you still can't name your stuff.

Spruchy said:
heroics are serious business, took a mini wipe session for first boss of sfk

They're a rude wake up call for everyone. I considered myself a pretty good healer, but this expansion is kicking my butt. So many habits I have to break (Lifeblooming/Rejuving everyone, spamming Regrowth, managing Mana...)

FuttBuck said:
Man this expansion really made me love WoW all over again. Almost done with Hyjal then I think I'll head back and finish that underwater place, I got pretty far there.

Being Elemental is friggin insane, damage output is redonculous however.....resto seems heavily nerfed or is it just me? I've played my shaman resto for a good 2 years and it just seems weak for the first time ever. I'm assuming this is because of the addition of mastery?

Chain heal feels sooo weak and Healing Wave is just about pointless. My new lesser heal wave (forgot name) costs a ton of mana. Maybe things will get better at 85 with more mastery points. It just feels like I have to balance too many things as a resto shaman.

The questing and quests / areas themselves are incredible once again. Can't wait to get outta work and play.

I've been leveling a Tauren Shaman over the past week and a half and just got to level 55. Elemental is what I have been using for leveling and so far, it's been working great. Lots of damage output, with very little downtime.

Since about level 45 though, I have started doing some random PUG in the daily dungeons. I am using dual spec to switch to restoration and I think Shamans are pretty good healers. Keep your tank earth shielded and keep tossing him healing waves. Healing wave is the cheapest healing spell by far and the more you cast it, the more you have a chance to crit which will proc some of your healing talents (when you eventually get them). Chain Heal could be more powerful but it is very situational. When a boss or trash mob is doing some weak AoE, it's good for a quick group heal. Remember, restro shammys get another group heal later for their 31 point talent I think, Riptide.

Other than that, I use the Healing Surge as an emergency heal, as it heals the most but is the most expensive heal to cast. I don't use the healing stream totem, I would rather use mana stream and use my healing spells. Other Totems I drop are Strength of Earth, Flametongue and the haste totem (whatever its called). Using all of the above, I never really get low on mana and rarely have my party members health fallen below 50%. Resto Shamans only get better with some of their best talents and spells locked up for the later levels. I can only imagine what kind of healing I will do when I hit 85.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DiatribeEQ said:

I think they fixed the Vashjir achievements... i got the 160 quests achievement yesterday when i was almost done with the zone. But the achievement progress bar itself said i was at 140 before i got the achievement.

Is it proper protocol to Need lockboxes when everyone else is greeding them? Especially after getting called out about it? Is it mean to stop throwing so many heals when someone keeps doing that? Was it foolish to not kick that individual? Why is it always spanish speakers that don't know how to behave in a group despite knowing english? Is it fair to blame it on language barriers when everyone knows that's not it?

Questions of the day folks... maybe rhetorical, maybe not.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'm curious to try Cataclysm but I have some questions.

1. I used to have WoW and Burning Crusade but have lost both of them. If I reactivate my account will battlenet remember that I had both those products?

2. What's the cheapest way to purchase Wrath of the Lich King? Is there a direct download that's cheaper than the box version?

Thanks!

Gattsu25

Banned
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Alright, I'm curious to try Cataclysm but I have some questions.

1. I used to have WoW and Burning Crusade but have lost both of them. If I reactivate my account will battlenet remember that I had both those products?

2. What's the cheapest way to purchase Wrath of the Lich King? Is there a direct download that's cheaper than the box version?

Thanks!
1. Did you associate those games with your Battle.net account? If yes then you are good.

2. Dunno. Sorry

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
1. Did you associate those games with your Battle.net account? If yes then you are good.

2. Dunno. Sorry

Hmm, I quit playing before they linked with battlenet. But, I did do a 10 day trial of WotLK a while back and I was able to play as my Burning Crusade characters.

Lenardo

Banned
if he has only BC, then no battle.net does not know but his account information will be avail, all he has to do is - provided he remembers his login info- is make a battle.net account and then link his wow account to it and bam he is set to upgrade/play again

and yes BUD on the merc boat to vashir is freaking hilarious....

AHOOOOYYY

I'm SAIILLINNNGGG...

wish it was not phased so i could ride the boat just to show bud to my kids

sestrugen

is there a Digital Download bundle to buy every expansion in the blizz website? I cant find any specials and a friend mentioned they made a discount if you bought everything together

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
sestrugen said:
is there a Digital Download bundle to buy every expansion in the blizz website? I cant find any specials and a friend mentioned they made a discount if you bought everything together

I heard that too but I can't find it either.

sestrugen said:
they had a sale around black friday where you could get wow up to wotlk for $20, but i don't think they have it anymore ;(

There still is a discount for buying all expansions together, though not as great as the Black Friday sale. In your WoW-account management, choose "Digital Purchase" at the right side. Going from classic to Cataclysm, you save 20 Euro doing that. (I assume the US has the same offer, but can't actually confirm that for sure).

halfway to 85 on my blood elf death knight! i cant wait to officially get to 85. :D i just got to level 6 on my worgen druid and i have to say, blizzard did an amazing job with telling the story of gilneas and the worgen. everything is awesome EXCEPT for some of the worgen animations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82EZK3c9zes - skip to 0:20 and you'll see what i mean. i can probably get used to the walking/running animation, but seriously, the casting animation is so awkward, im not sure i can get used to it. he moves his arms all over the place, its distracting. sadly, ive always wanted to try alliance and worgen were the only race who appealed to me...

other then that, the expansion is awesome. ive got a goblin shaman ready to go as well. if i dont get used to my worgen druid, ill probably just end up leveling her (shaman) instead.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Twilight Jasmine hearb is going for 15g each on my server. But the thing is, there is very low supply, tonight. Only about ~2000g worth on the entire AH.

The temptation to buy ALL of it and relist it for 2x is very very strong. I haven't done it yet because I only have 3000g to my name... but I'm still contemplating. It isn't often you have an opportunity to corner and entire critical market. There is normally too much volume!

Lain

Hey, did items get some sort of update between friday and saturday? When I logged out friday, I was getting an average ilvl of 269 which wasn't enough to use the dungeon finder, then yesterday I didn't have that problem anymore. Not only that, quest rewards like the relic I got from a Vashj'ir quest which I couldn't put a gem in because it required an item with an ilvl of 285 at least, suddently was a 285 ilvl item with the same identical stat to the epic pvp relic (only with crit instead of resi), while the day before it had lower stats.
Even the blacksmithing stuff I crafted myself seems like.... it's better. Higher ilvl and better stats.
So, did something change? Or better yet, is there a list with stuff that changed? I feel kinda bad about selling a neck friday now, as it could have been updated too.

Alex

I took some images of Deepholm earlier, it's literally one of the best looking areas I've seen in a game. The attention to detail is staggering with all of the effects and clutter. It's a little hard to do justice in screens though due to that. Lots of neat effects like rolling fog, and little bits of sheen, tons of minerals hovering on the ground and the rock formations animate.

It and Vashj'ir kinda visually tower above Hyjal and Uldum though, it's odd. I've yet to see Twilight Highlands though.

wow1b.jpg

wow2s.jpg

wow6x.jpg

wow5r.jpg

wow4f.jpg

wow3m.jpg

demonkaze

Thought I'd ask again, me and my brother started up at cataclysm and are looking for a guild, the game can get a bit boring without people talking.

We are alliance aggramar eu.

Twig

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Wow. Hard to believe this the same engine that powered vanilla WoW.
Is it?

I mean, it's pretty as fuck, but the tech isn't really that much more advanced than vanilla. Sure, it's an improvement, but it's more like a few babysteps than it is a huge leap. (I'm not giving their new tech enough credit, but hopefully you know what I mean.) I'd say it's more a testament to how much the skills of their artists have increased over time.

ACE 1991

Twig said:
Is it?

I mean, it's pretty as fuck, but the tech isn't really that much more advanced than vanilla. Sure, it's an improvement, but it's more like a few babysteps than it is a huge leap. (I'm not giving their new tech enough credit, but hopefully you know what I mean.) I'd say it's more a testament to how much the skills of their artists have increased over time.

I guess that's true. Regardless, one can't deny that they haven't gotten some amazing mileage off of a six year old engine that wasn't top of the line even when the game launched.

Raide

ACE 1991 said:
I guess that's true. Regardless, one can't deny that they haven't gotten some amazing mileage off of a six year old engine that wasn't top of the line even when the game launched.

Blizzard seem to be huge fans of getting a good looking game running on lower hardware. Pretty much all of their games are good looking but not hardware pushers.

Twig

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
True!

webrunner

This generation really has been the generation of the incrementation. If you look at stuff like WoW and CoD (based on Quake 3) and Source (which i suppose technically owes it's lineage to quake ONE), as well as the fact the consoles are 5+ years old with no end in sight, but we're still seeing great increases in graphics and gameplay every year.

B-Dex

DiatribeEQ said:

There is actually only 140 quests there. I was stuck at 139 for the longest time and had none left. My buddy found out you can share the Lady La-La's Medallion quest. (It's a low drop quest form the giblins) I completed it, and ding got my Sinking into Vashj'ir.

Alex

As much artistry as it is, it's also a metric ton of new tech. According to Blizzard this isn't the same engine that powered vanilla, it's been completely replaced since then while new tools have been added constantly. More than ever with this expansion.

Their Blizzcon spot and pre-Cata interviews on their visuals have been really interesting, talking about the evolution of their designs and how strong their tools got in Cataclysm. Their environment team really seems to bust their ass. There was a nice spot where they showed how they hand crafted their environments bit by bit by bit too. I thought that was pretty hilarious after the release of a certain recent MMO.

Now where it suffers some is the character models. I bitched during beta and I'll bitch now that the original eight races *need* remodeling.

Draenei and Blood Elves are well textured and rounded and look like decent evolutions on the original designs, but Goblins and Worgen are stupid detailed and dripping with high end texture detail and geometry compared to everything else. There's probably two gnomes worth of geometry in a female goblin hairstyle. :lol

Max

I am not Max
Venturing the Eastern Plaguelands and suddenly everything goes red. I panick asking my fellow adventurers via Skype what the hell this means. All of a sudden the land is set ablaze and the almighty Deathwing comes swooping down covering the province in fire. I spirit walk to my charred body, evade the labyrinth of flames and leave the area with a new achievement. Guildmates were hella' jealous.

Twig

Banned
Alex said:
As much artistry as it is, it's also a metric ton of new tech. According to Blizzard this isn't the same engine that powered vanilla, it's been completely replaced since then while new tools have been added constantly. More than ever with this expansion.

Their Blizzcon spot and pre-Cata interviews on their visuals have been really interesting, talking about the evolution of their designs and how strong their tools got in Cataclysm. Their environment team really seems to bust their ass. There was a nice spot where they showed how they hand crafted their environments bit by bit by bit too. I thought that was pretty hilarious after the release of a certain recent MMO.
I don't mean to downplay their new tech, I'm sure it's fantastic for what they want, but it's still nothing particularly impressive. (Except that new water. Mm-mmm do I love that new water!)

I stand by what I said: artists reign supreme.

Alex

Twig said:
I don't mean to downplay their new tech, I'm sure it's fantastic for what they want, but it's still nothing particularly impressive. (Except that new water. Mm-mmm do I love that new water!)

I stand by what I said: artists reign supreme.

Oh, I'm not trying to say their tech is some industry amazement. It might be in terms of scaling or whatnot, but it's just improved and modernized fare driven by maddening artistry and attention to detail.

The most interesting part of the tech videos anyway wasn't the actual visual stuff, it was the tools they've developed with Cataclysm in regards to content creation. Namely stuff to let them handcraft and animate in real time and things like their new cutscene tech (which I've really, really liked in Uldum)

On the visuals though, where it suffers is the character models. I bitched during beta and I'll bitch now that the original eight races *need* remodeling. Armor I'll back off on since the texture resolutions going through the roof has really done a lot for it, but the original eight need an overhaul.

Draenei and Blood Elves are well textured and rounded and look like decent evolutions on the original designs, but Goblins and Worgen are stupid detailed and dripping with high end texture detail and geometry compared to everything else. There's probably two gnomes worth of geometry in a female goblin hairstyle. :lol

Twig

Banned
Alex said:
On the visuals though, where it suffers is the character models. I bitched during beta and I'll bitch now that the original eight races *need* remodeling. Armor I'll back off on since the texture resolutions going through the roof has really done a lot for it, but the original eight need an overhaul.

Yeah, I completely agree on the character front. Show some love to my favorite races (Tauren, Orc, Troll!), Blizzard. ;_;

As for armor... I would like some DIMENSION to things other than giant shoulder spikes. D:

Alex said:
Now where it suffers some is the character models. I bitched during beta and I'll bitch now that the original eight races *need* remodeling.

True but then they'd need to re-create all the assets for all the armor + weapons for each of them so they'd look ok.

GDJustin said:
For those following along, I now have 360G on my special auction alt, Accumulation:

http://wowaccumulation.tumblr.com/

:D :D :D

I started the toon FIVE DAYS ago. She ran straight into Stormwind, sold the clothes off her back + her weapon, and could use ONLY that money to progress. No mob drops, handouts, etc.

That's 7c in starting money. 7c to 350g+ in five days, with nothing but the auction house. Woot woot.

Most of it is luck, owing to the dude that very stupidly listed tons of huge enchants with cheap bids.

The auction house is the most interesting part of WoW for me. Really interesting blog. Keep writing. I subscribed to your RSS feed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
BigNastyCurve said:
True but then they'd need to re-create all the assets for all the armor + weapons for each of them so they'd look ok.
That's not how it works.

Twig

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Every piece of armor isn't modeled individually for each race, AFAIK. It's just a skin that's plastered on to the existing "armor model".

Shoulders and helmets, I believe, are the only pieces of armor that actually have their own specific models, and they just tend to be resized for the varying races, which is why helmets sometimes look so horrible and why I tend to turn them off, especially on my tauren. ):

DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure if the above is actually true. I THINK it is, but don't take my word for it, and please tell me if I'm wrong!

Alex

The body models aren't the problem. They look fine with lower geometry and the engine has to display tons of characters at once, lots of new quests throw 50+ of even brand new models on the screen at once in an open, uncontrolled world with flight, etc. Those would just take tweaks of things like the general joints and edges rather than a crazy remodel.

Tying yourself down to way too much geometry on the overall body models and such usually helps set you into resource hog obscurity, which is worse in this genre since half the developers are small houses who can't really master the tech in a difficult genre. That or you wind up with issues like the Square-Enix MMOs which have insane character pop-in and still use glacially paced Everquest mechanics and pure tank and spank bullshit where the only end game mechanics are overtuned numbers and time sinks.

No, where the big detail is would be in the face and hair. That's a big deal. It makes all the difference.

It's not an issue of laze, you really can't use that with Cataclysm, they clearly poured so much effort into this, but it is an issue of priority. Personally, with a revived world and two new very detailed races, i think it should have been a higher priority.

I also think, however, they are afraid of pissing off a very, very vocal minority. I mean there was a pack of loonies who raised hell when they replaced that old busted ass Charger with the newly modeled Exarch's Elekk for Draenei Paladins. I should dig up that thread I saw, there were a few people threatening to quit over it, what the fuck?

Eventually, it'll happen, in fact I strongly assume it'll be during this or for next expansion because they were already detailing wanting to do it and how but I'm just annoyed it wasn't in for the start of Cata, because, IMO, it is silly to have differences like this;

goblinl.jpg

worgen.jpg

Twig

Banned
Heh, seeing the tauren next to the worgen just makes me so sad!

Hell, a good deal of the newer MOBS have better textures and attention to detail than the original playable races.

Also good lord that is the worst hair for a goblin please tell me that's not you. U;
Alex said:
The body models aren't the problem. They look fine with lower geometry and the engine has to display tons of characters at once, lots of new quests throw 50+ of even brand new models on the screen at once in an open, uncontrolled world with flight, etc. Those would just take tweaks of things like the general joints and edges rather than a crazy remodel.
Yep, models aren't the problem at all. The newer races still have pretty low geometry. Not a big deal.

THAT SAID, as I've said, I do wish there was more geometry to the ARMOR, at least a bit. Nothing huge, just... something.

Alex

No, I don't have a Goblin, just wanted pigtails to show difference. I considered faction changing but I'm just too steeped in Alliance at this point. (that and our server has an iffy Horde base, it's like owned by one guild and splinter guilds and 1/3rd the size of ally here, and Horde PvP queues, which I like to do on occasion even in pugs are gigantic atm for some reason)

I love Goblins though. I wish Alliance had gotten them.
but at least we dodged that Blood Elf bullet! Oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom