• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Alex said:
No, I don't have a Goblin, just wanted pigtails to show difference. I considered faction changing but I'm just too steeped in Alliance at this point. (that and our server has an iffy Horde base, it's like owned by one guild and splinter guilds and 1/3rd the size of ally here, and Horde PvP queues, which I like to do on occasion even in pugs are gigantic atm for some reason)

I love Goblins though. I wish Alliance had gotten them.
but at least we dodged that Blood Elf bullet! Oh!
I'll take valley girls and pretty boys over a bunch of furries any day. U;

(Tauren don't count as furries 'cause they're so boss-ballin'!)

Extra Credit Special Stage is an awesome achievement and it's a shame that there's not more like it.

Golden orbs are hidden all around Vortex Pinnacle and you have to find them and grab them. This usually involves jumping over the edge of the platform at inconvenient times.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Retribution sucks SO MUCH now. It's making me lose my will to live.

You have to watch your Holy Power, Exorcism and Mastery procs, trinket, Avenging Wrath and Zealotry CDs, keep Inquisition up at all times, pay attention to the priority rotation... And the result is less DPS than most tanks are pulling nowadays. Meanwhile Arcane Mages are pulling awesome DPS with three different spells, one resource to manage and one CD.

Our Mastery sucks. We have no AoE. Inquisition is ridiculous. There are times when there is absolutely nothing to do, even if you follow your rotation perfectly, and the only thing we can do to increase our DPS is to pray as hard as we can for the RNG to give us Exorcism procs every 3 seconds.

Unfortunately we have to deal with completely retarded decisions like Templar's Verdict not refreshing Inquisition and Divine Storm sharing a cooldown with Crusader's Strike, and the fact that the only ability we have that really damages enemies is Exorcism. Templar's Verdict just isn't worth it, considering the build-up.

Lain

Finished the quests in Vashj'ir, the zone was really awesome. They completely nailed it, making playing underwater fun while still feeling oppressive.
I'm not completely satisfied with the text in certain quests, and certain voiceovers. Budd was awesome, but the orcs and certain goblins and the space goats... didn't sound (or read) orcish or goblinish or.... space goatish!

Moved to deepholm (but I need more Obsidium or hovewer it is called the metal, to skill my BS some more, so I'll have to move somewhere else, but at least got a companion pet off an eternium node on my 2nd or third mining there) and I loved the Ogre magi VA (the one on the airship), made me laugh listening to him.

yanhero

Brazil said:
Retribution sucks SO MUCH now. It's making me lose my will to live.

You have to watch your Holy Power, Exorcism and Mastery procs, trinket, Avenging Wrath and Zealotry CDs, keep Inquisition up at all times, pay attention to the priority rotation... And the result is less DPS than most tanks are pulling nowadays. Meanwhile Arcane Mages are pulling awesome DPS with three different spells, one resource to manage and one CD.

More things to worry about is a good thing, its just more interesting to play.

Brazil said:
Our Mastery sucks. We have no AoE. Inquisition is ridiculous. There are times when there is absolutely nothing to do, even if you follow your rotation perfectly, and the only thing we can do to increase our DPS is to pray as hard as we can for the RNG to give us Exorcism procs every 3 seconds.

I definitely agree that paly dps is too dependent on Exorcism procs right now.

Brazil said:
Unfortunately we have to deal with completely retarded decisions like Templar's Verdict not refreshing Inquisition and Divine Storm sharing a cooldown with Crusader's Strike, and the fact that the only ability we have that really damages enemies is Exorcism. Templar's Verdict just isn't worth it, considering the build-up.

TV not refreshing Inquisition is fine. DPS palies basically only have 2 finishing moves to worry about, deal with it. The only reason why rogue has talents to refresh slice and dice/rupture with their eviscerate is because rogues have like 4 more finishing moves to worry about.

If you actaully like only having to press 3 buttons, then I guess the new ret paly is not for you.

Havok

So I'd avoided WoW for a very long time, but I finally picked it up for the first time during that sale at the end of November (I'm hooked, I just had a friend change my password so I could study for finals). I'm rolling a human Protection Paladin, and I'm level 64 or so, but it's tough to jump into without any baseline for what is 'normal' in a given situation. Any tips as I go forward? I have a threat meter add-on and Recount, which has let me know that I'm consistently the highest DPS in a given dungeon, which I guess makes sense with all the AoE stuff, and I've only had one wipe (from a Hunter's pet pulling another mob that the healer couldn't handle). I'm just kind of getting lost in the minutia of it all, and any advice is appreciated.

Alex

Havok said:
So I'd avoided WoW for a very long time, but I finally picked it up for the first time during that sale at the end of November (I'm hooked, I just had a friend change my password so I could study for finals). I'm rolling a human Protection Paladin, and I'm level 64 or so, but it's tough to jump into without any baseline for what is 'normal' in a given situation. Any tips as I go forward? I have a threat meter add-on and Recount, which has let me know that I'm consistently the highest DPS in a given dungeon, which I guess makes sense with all the AoE stuff, and I've only had one wipe (from a Hunter's pet pulling another mob that the healer couldn't handle). I'm just kind of getting lost in the minutia of it all, and any advice is appreciated.

http://elitistjerks.com/

Their forums, for you specificly: http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338...tion_field_manual_updated_dec_10_2010_4_0_3a/

Don't post as the rules are *insanely* strict to keep things clean and don't take it as bible since it's geared towards end game and min/max, but it's an amazing place to pick up advice for your class. Really, really smart posters who crunch this stuff very hard.

If you make it to end game, tankspot is also great. Tons of video guides and a really helpful community from my brief experience.

As for addons, for a tank, you may wanna try Tidy Plates. Probably the best thing you could add for a tank is good nameplates.

So I was thinking of giving WoW another whirl. Saw Cataclysm available as a digital download on the Blizzard store, but that it requires the core game + two other expansions.

Whats the quickest and easiest way to start off with Cataclysm? Is there a starter kit where you only have one install of the code-to-date? Or do I actually have to download, install and patch three different programs first?

I haven't been able to find out the answer with my own google fu, so any help is appreciated.

Alex

NullPointer said:
So I was thinking of giving WoW another whirl. Saw Cataclysm available as a digital download on the Blizzard store, but that it requires the core game + two other expansions.

Whats the quickest and easiest way to start off with Cataclysm? Is there a starter kit where you only have one install of the code-to-date? Or do I actually have to download, install and patch three different programs first?

Are you starting fresh? If so, Cataclysm baked in the revived world and all of the new 1-60 fare among other things in to the vanilla game. You'd just need it. Cataclysm itself is just for 80-85, end game, new bgs, goblin/worgen, etc.

Alex said:
Are you starting fresh? If so, Cataclysm baked in the revived world and all of the new 1-60 fare among other things in to the vanilla game. You'd just need it. Cataclysm itself is just for 80-85, end game, new bgs, goblin/worgen, etc.
Completely fresh. So I don't need Cataclysm until later on? If so, what about improvements to storytelling, quests, etc. Is most of the good stuff saved up for higher levels? Or can I get the vanilla WoW and see a much different experience than I would've a few years ago?

Should I just stick with WoW? or would you recommend one of the expansions?

Havok

Alex said:
http://elitistjerks.com/

Their forums, for you specificly: http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338...tion_field_manual_updated_dec_10_2010_4_0_3a/

Don't post as the rules are *insanely* strict to keep things clean and don't take it as bible since it's geared towards end game and min/max, but it's an amazing place to pick up advice for your class. Really, really smart posters who crunch this stuff very hard.

If you make it to end game, tankspot is also great. Tons of video guides and a really helpful community from my brief experience.

As for addons, for a tank, you may wanna try Tidy Plates. Probably the best thing you could add for a tank is good nameplates.
Oh wow, that's a crazy amount of information. Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at that.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
The revamped 1-60 content is available to all users, aside from the Goblin and Worgen races. If you are just starting out I would recommend getting only WoW proper, then upgrade to BC at 60, WotLK at 70 and Cata at 80.

The launcher will install all the content available to you.

Pinzer said:
The revamped 1-60 content is available to all users, aside from the Goblin and Worgen races. If you are just starting out I would recommend getting only WoW proper, then upgrade to BC at 60, WotLK at 70 and Cata at 80.

The launcher will install all the content available to you.
Thanks for spelling it all out. Sounds like a good way to go.

Alex

If you're just fresh, just use the base game, if you wanna do more, buy the expansions as you need to, which would be BC for 61-70 and WOTLK for 71-80 and Cataclysm for 81-85.

The world was redone, so you'd see all of those improvements. All of the zone revamps, new soundtrack, like 1500~ish new quests, etc.

The new world is really, really nice. Improved *massively*. Much better story telling, quest flow, all of the new built up mechanics, lots of humor. I was never a fan of vanilla WoW But I had a really, really good time in the new Azeroth. I'd say the best stuff is 81-85 (Vashj'ir and Uldum <3), although that's kind of how it should be. It's late game content so they use all of the bells and whistles, new styles of play, a lot of cutscenes, etc.

The new Azeroth fare is better than anything else though. They took a lot of lessons learned even from the very nice Northrend fare.

Beth Cyra

So far, the expansion is really good.

Personally I am enjoying most of the Zone's far more then I have did the Wrath Zones.

Hyjal, Deepholm, and Twilight Highlands where all pretty fun, though things hit like crazy as you are leveling.

Finally hit 85 last night, and amazingly got both the killed by Deathwing Achiev, and then ran Tempest Keep and shockingly the Phoenix mount dropped and I won it.

So all and all a pretty great week for WoW.

wowzors

so question (sorry I don't play WoW, but I have watched my friends sometimes), can anyone fight Death Wing yet, or is that quest line not released yet? I really want to see a Youtube video of that battle :)

Lain

Gah, I was so happy to make a new shield for my Holy Paladin, and when I equip it, she holds it like a weapon on her side instead of having it on her back. That's the second bugged BS item, the first was the healer belt, which covers half of the tabard you wear for some weird reason.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sold four Volatile Airs I picked up in the Uldum 5man for 60g a piece this evening o.0

Once I saw the price was so high, I used my Alchemy cooldown to turn 15 Volatile Life (7-8g) into 15 MORE Volatile Airs. None have sold yet (people are catching on and listing tons of them now), but if they do sell that'll be a profit of 630g just for using one day's Alchemy Transmute:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=78866/transmute-living-elements

If you didn't know, the ZONE you're in determines the transmute outcome. Uldum is Air, Deepholm Earth, etc.

Alchemy has been a motherfucker to level up, though. So we Alchemists really needed some "gimme" way to profit like this, imo.

Even crazier than 60g Volatile Airs, I sold six Mythical Healing Potions for 63g a piece! It's just a healing potion! 63g! Granted the mats cost ~30g, but still, goddamn. Nutty auction times, right now.

Fake edit: Five of the 50g Volatile Airs just sold. To give you an idea of how nuts the exchange is, these five alone pay for all 15 Volatile Earths I had to use, plus 130g profit. The remaining 10 will be 100% profit.

Real edit: All the Volatile Airs are sold now. If things don't change (ie Life price doesn't climb and Air price doesn't drop) that is 600g profit every 24 hours...

iamblades

Havok said:

I recommend getting tidy plates with the threat plates mod in addition to a threat meter. It makes managing threat(especially among multiple mobs) so much easier if you have the information you need right where you need it, instead of having to look over to some fiddly meter of to the side.

Threat meters are more useful for DPSers anyway, you should be putting out max threat all the time anyway, they are the ones that should be watching their threat generation. It's nice to have it open so you can toss out a salv if a DPSer gets overeager, but it shouldn't really have any effect on your tanking. Threat plates on the other hand is very useful, especially now that consecrate isn't part of the basic tanking rotation so you need to actually think about tanking multiple mobs.

As far as other tips, it sounds like you are managing fine, is there anything specific you want to know? About pulling, positioning, rotations or gear?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
wowzors said:
so question (sorry I don't play WoW, but I have watched my friends sometimes), can anyone fight Death Wing yet, or is that quest line not released yet? I really want to see a Youtube video of that battle :)
that won't be available for a long time yet... lots of people are still gearing up to just get into heroic dungeons... i don't think raids have even started yet.

edit: seems raids have started, but i think that's only top tier guilds. majority of people are still doing heroics.

Lain

Scrow said:
that won't be available for a long time yet... lots of people are still gearing up to just get into heroic dungeons... i don't think raids have even started yet.

According to MMO-Champion:
Cataclysm Raid Progress - All Bosses Dead!
The russian guild Exorsus defeated Nefarian in 10-Man mode tonight, 25-man attempts are crippled by a respawn bug and I guess it's pretty much the same thing since Blizzard stated that 10-man and 25-man raids should have pretty much the same difficulty. Congratulations to them!

Also, wtf at shooting rainbows?! Is that thing real?!

Totalriot

For the first time after my first lvl 80 raid I've switchted my Warrior back to arms, simply because my gear is too bad to meet the 27% hit/26 expertise caps and to my surprise I am having a blast playing as arms, especially in PVP.

Charge, Rend, Throwdown, Colossus Smash, MS, Overpower, HS, Hamstring, Hamstring is almost imba. Even better with a Sudden Death proc somewhere imbetween there.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've just hit Outland and lost all momentum, think i'll take a break for a day or two.

mcrae

Lain said:
Gah, I was so happy to make a new shield for my Holy Paladin, and when I equip it, she holds it like a weapon on her side instead of having it on her back. That's the second bugged BS item, the first was the healer belt, which covers half of the tabard you wear for some weird reason.

this sounds so lame its unreal

in other news, i increased my ilvl from 165 to 242, hp from 12k to 26k, and mana from 15k to 29k by spending 600g in the AH at 78

So I had my very first character (which I've been playing since launch), a rogue, parked at lvl 71 for almost two years now. But I decided to go back to it for the expansion, I like its style of play the best it seems. This meant I needed to level it though, which I did. I hit 78 last night, played quite a bit last week. I installed the expansion and discovered I'm not allowed in the new zones until 80 :(. Two more levels in Northrend I have to endure, bah.

I did decide to sell off my 'Haunted Memento' though, fetched 3,5k gold for it! Which paid for my epic flying nicely.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm really not sure about the 'new wow' after all these updates recently, I feel the whole experience has became too easy, the whole 'x' marks the spot on the map for quest objectives is so silly, I also couldn't believe it that wow even highlights the enemies that you have to kill now, where's the exploration gone? plus I feel that you level up way to fast, it just feels too 'gamey', I'm gonna stick with it but atm I definitely miss the old wow.

glaurung

lowrider007 said:
I'm really not sure about the 'new wow' after all these updates recently, I feel the whole experience has became too easy, the whole 'x' marks the spot on the map for quest objectives is so silly, I also couldn't believe it that wow even highlights the enemies that you have to kill now, where's the exploration gone? plus I feel that you level up way to fast, it just feels too 'gamey', I'm gonna stick with it but atm I definitely miss the old wow.
I agree about the overly zealous hand-holding that has been going on since they stole features from QuestHelper and from Warhammer Online.

But it makes the game flow feel more natural and I can be extremely grateful later on when you need to travel a long way from the NPC quest giver to the mob area or similar. What I do not like is that they mark the boss kill quest targets with a giant skull icon on the minimap, that is downright silly.

But even when the overworld quest difficulty scales slowly, you will sooner or later meet group quests that you cannot undertake alone unless overleveled. Plus the dungeons are mostly above your ability. And I wiped three times last night with my lv18 goblin in a dungeon because we either had a paper tank or a disastrously undergeared healer.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
lowrider007 said:
I'm really not sure about the 'new wow' after all these updates recently, I feel the whole experience has became too easy, the whole 'x' marks the spot on the map for quest objectives is so silly,
you know you can just turn it off right? in your map, turn off track objectives.

lowrider007 said:
I also couldn't believe it that wow even highlights the enemies that you have to kill now, where's the exploration gone?
i don't see a problem with that. you still have to find them and then roll your cursor over them to read the tooltip.

lowrider007 said:
plus I feel that you level up way to fast, it just feels too 'gamey'
what level is your char? if you're below 60 expect leveling progression to slow once you hit BC, wrath and cata content. also, why would you want levelling to be slower? most people hate the grind. all the fun is to be had at max level.

lowrider007 said:
but atm I definitely miss the old wow.
funny you say that, cause lots of people feel that cata is a return to old wow. i guess people have different definitions of "old wow".

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I can totally see where lowrider007 is coming from. I definitely miss the old "vanilla" questing experience for a number of reasons. Such as the need to group for elite quests, the less "scripted" quest design, general difficulty. Although it never felt as polished as it does now.

what level is your char? if you're below 60 expect leveling progression to slow once you hit BC, wrath and cata content
I don't know why they made 1-60 so fast. With the amount of content added to the old world. It seems like I'll haft to make multiple characters just so i can see the content without outleveling it.:/

V_Arnold

glaurung said:
I agree about the overly zealous hand-holding that has been going on since they stole features from QuestHelper and from Warhammer Online.

But it makes the game flow feel more natural and I can be extremely grateful later on when you need to travel a long way from the NPC quest giver to the mob area or similar. What I do not like is that they mark the boss kill quest targets with a giant skull icon on the minimap, that is downright silly.

But even when the overworld quest difficulty scales slowly, you will sooner or later meet group quests that you cannot undertake alone unless overleveled. Plus the dungeons are mostly above your ability. And I wiped three times last night with my lv18 goblin in a dungeon because we either had a paper tank or a disastrously undergeared healer.

Stole features? Damn. They simply saw that QuestHelper was so popular that almost everyone used it, so the implemented it. They have been doing that with every more-than-insanely-popular addon so far, but to call it a steal...damn, one gotta have balls.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lafiel said:
I don't know why they made 1-60 so fast. With the amount of content added to the old world. It seems like I'll haft to make multiple characters just so i can see the content without outleveling it.:/

As a noob, having played both the pre and post Cata game, I really like the faster leveling progress and quests with less traveling, and the improved flow from quest to queest. It keeps me playing as there is all the time something new to do.

Is there any way to tell how many hours I've put into the game so far? I'm L20 so I'm guessing somewhere between 10 to 20 hours.

Runus

Chittagong said:
As a noob, having played both the pre and post Cata game, I really like the faster leveling progress and quests with less traveling, and the improved flow from quest to queest. It keeps me playing as there is all the time something new to do.

Is there any way to tell how many hours I've put into the game so far? I'm L20 so I'm guessing somewhere between 10 to 20 hours.

'/played' tells you how long you have played a character.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

I think the best balance they got was in patch 2.3. Where you could essentially quest your way to 60 while at the same time experience most of the zones.:D Pre-patch 2.3 was quite ridiculous especially since there was certain moments (from what I remember) where you ran out of quests to do and had to start grinding dungeons / mobs.:lol

In some ways though it's good that they made the leveling relatively quick as more expansions are released, as it prevents newbies from feeling to behind.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Even with how "easy" the game is now, you still get people typing on general chat "Where is this Leader dude?" "Where do i find this staff" "Where do i find the entrance for the lost city in Uldum?", etc. Where, where, where!!!

All that kind of crap that only require you to take a look at your map, read the quest or explore a zone for a few moments is still too much for some WoW players. Unbelievable.

V_Arnold

Some people here seem to ignore that Blizzard obviously did not want them to explore and complete ALL Azeroth quests to become a lv60 character. The way it is created right now is that there is 4-5-6 different "paths" depending on your starting position and your faction.

That said, you all gotta consider a lot of things.
1) Old WoW was a condensed lv60 experience with 5-6-7 Zones completely focusing on lv55-60 contents, repeatable grinds, factions with reputation gains, and group grinding mobs with level 61-62-63 (Darkwhisper gorge, anyone?). This is simply not sustainable, not efficient. There is no point having a content which no one could play. Because the players depart Azeroth the second they hit lv58.

So consider this: Blizzard have basically freed up 40% of their previously "high-end 60 solo content" place, and made them into lv40-30-50 places where there are a lot more quests, flight paths and quest hubs now. You cant force a player to spend one month in Azeroth before he can depart to doing the "real deal". Considering that Burning Crusade is already a weekend-like content, and WOTLK should not last more than a week either, it is perfectly fine and acceptable. If you want hard levelling, unclick quest shows on map, read quest lines, and go into the wilderness without BOA stuff and doing dungeons via Dungeon Finder.

2) Old WoW had a LOT of unneccessary painful time sink. Lv40 for first mount? Lv60 for fast mount? People were in outland without epic mount just 2 years ago, but now a lv40 char can fasten his/her question by 2-300% just by not running there on foot. Obviously, that is one time save. Other is having a lot more flight pats, and more condensed quest hubs-> one place, 3-4 quests, repeat -> next hub style. But, let us not forget the highest amount of time-sink saved: THE DUNGEONS. Now, in the old world, going to Scarlet Monastery (lv34+ place, so you went there ON FOOT, traveled half a continent!) took at least an hour, if you were not so fortunate that you got a summon. Gathering quests to there as an alliance member required various Kalimdor->Azeroth->Kalimdor journeys, again, via with a boat and your feet. And then the instance with the harder playstyle of the old times. Now? You get teleported in, you got a LOT of free, hugely rewarding quest XP without any prequests, and you have an easier time in there.

I just cant imagine a scenario where I would demand that quests would be harder to obtain for old school dungeons. I cant demand slower travels, less teleports, no Dungeon Finders, or nerfs to all classes so early instances will be hard again. I cant demand dumb "run through forests for hours between questgivers miles away from each other for 2-300 xp" scenarios to make a comeback.

The new WoW actually has an intelligent design, where, if you make 2-3 new characters, you can level in totally different places, where you have not been before. You can make the choice between a bit more instnace farming for a fancy blue, or a bit less, with more outdoor questing. And there is PVP. It is insane how much this have improved on the early content, and how can anyone miss the old system.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
So when can I expect to get into Catclysm dungeons? I'm level 82 with around 272 average gearscore. I'm enjoying the questing in Vashjir but it gets a little repetitive. I'd keep doing heroics but it seems like the greens I get from questing easily outstrip whatever blues/purples I'd get from lich king heroics.

V_Arnold

mikespit1200 said:
So when can I expect to get into Catclysm dungeons? I'm level 82 with around 272 average gearscore. I'm enjoying the questing in Vashjir but it gets a little repetitive. I'd keep doing heroics but it seems like the greens I get from questing easily outstrip whatever blues/purples I'd get from lich king heroics.

You need to manually discover the instancens before you can enter them. And yes, you can now go into them.
-Vashj'Ir: Go into the Abyssal rift, uppermost section in the map. Quite far, but reachable.
-Teleport to Deepholm from Orgrimmar/Stormwind, fly up into the terrace of Stonecore. it is in the same building where you got teleported to.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
V_Arnold said:
You need to manually discover the instancens before you can enter them. And yes, you can now go into them.
-Vashj'Ir: Go into the Abyssal rift, uppermost section in the map. Quite far, but reachable.
-Teleport to Deepholm from Orgrimmar/Stormwind, fly up into the terrace of Stonecore. it is in the same building where you got teleported to.

Do I need to get my flying license from SW to fly in stonecore? Because I still have not gotten that yet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
mikespit1200 said:

Wait, you think questing in Vashjir is repetitive, so you would rather do Lich King heroics we've been doing for the last what? 2 years? Kinda ironic don't you think? :lol And yes, the blues & purples in those old instances are shit compared to the new greens.

Also, you can get into any Cataclym dungeons anytime, you just have to get inside at least once you find their entrance. You get a quest leading for the Vashjir dungeon at the very end of the zone, but you can still head there yourself i think.

V_Arnold

mikespit1200 said:
Do I need to get my flying license from SW to fly in stonecore? Because I still have not gotten that yet.

Yes, you will need it (not for Vashj'Ir, obviously), for Stonecore at least. But, if you have friends or can ask around, you have the option to simply ask for a summon to there, where you get there via the meeting stone, and of course then you will have the place discovered, so you can go there in Dungeon Finder also.

That is a bit tedious, but can work if you want to skip flying in Azeroth. I suggest you get that, because it is insanely faster even in IF/SW.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Bisnic said:
Wait, you think questing in Vashjir is repetitive, so you would rather do Lich King heroics we've been doing for the last what? 2 years? Kinda ironic don't you think? :lol And yes, the blues & purples in those old instances are shit compared to the new greens.

Also, you can get into any Cataclym dungeons anytime, you just have to get inside at least once you find their entrance. You get a quest leading for the Vashjir dungeon at the very end of the zone, but you can still head there yourself i think.

Well, I haven't played much since lich king so the heroics were mostly new to me. I just like random dungeons because it's jump in-jump out with other people instead of wandering around the admittedly gorgeous locales in vashjir.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just to point it out with others, you CAN turn things into old wow.

a) turn off track objectives.
b) turn off "show quests on map"
c) don't use dungeon finder. queue for all dungeons at the meetings stones
d) don't use flight paths to get around except for the handful of original ones.

about the only thing this won't simulate from vanilla wow is the running out of quests part where you are having to run instances or grind on mobs to get a level or two to qualify for the next area.

and to be perfectly honest, I look at those four things and I honestly ask myself "Why would I do any of those??" To be fair, even with the map telling you where you have to go, there's plenty of times where it's still more than "kill this mob". Often there is some interaction that you have to perform or specific thing you are waiting for.

for me, I'm halfway through 84. Finished up Deepholm which, for my money, is the best looking zone in the game. Almost every area you're in there is jaw dropping, even by modern day standards. The final fight was pretty great.. not as awesome as Vashj'ir's finale but there were plenty of other larger pre-finale fights that were better than what Vashj'ir had. Unfortunately it looks like I have no need for rep in Deepholm so I doubt I will be back to visit it anytime soon unless they change the rep rewards.

In Uldum right now. I am level appropriate to skip it, but everyone says it is possibly the best story-zone in Cata so I'm going to go through it before I hit Twilight Highlands. Besides, have to start on the rep grind so I can get my camel mount. If anyone wants some fun also, hit Halls of Origination, and on one of the last bosses (right before Ptah), and druid can go cat form and mount the camel. And by mount I mean "mount".. looks very odd. Also tauren on a camel looks messed up. I believe the space goats are around as large so that's gotta look pretty goofy as well (aside from no one playing male space goats)

mikespit1200 said:
dude.... it's 200G. seriously. I spent 4250 on my artisan flying which took me down to 1g 11s, and I currently have around 1400g just from questing yesterday with maybe two non-Heroics. flying license is trivially priced.

Bisnic said:
provided you have old world flying, you can get to every dungeon instance in the xpac right from the start:

Tides - Abyssal Depths in the center vortex
Blackrock Caverns - head towards the non-jumping way to BRS and turn right just before you head up
Stonecore - it's really JUST above the entrance to the temple a little clockwise around the outside
Halls of Origination, Vortex Pinnacle, and Lost City - all are in Uldum around the southern part of the map. Lost City is near where you start out (I literally just flew around), Halls of Origination is just up to the northwest, and vortex pinnacle is almost due south
Grim Batol - easiest.. go to wetlands and take the road that use to go to dragonmaw pass (and now Twilight Highlands) and take it ALL THE WAY AROUND and it will lead you right to Grim Batol.

V_Arnold said:
I just cant imagine a scenario where I would demand that quests would be harder to obtain for old school dungeons. I cant demand slower travels, less teleports, no Dungeon Finders, or nerfs to all classes so early instances will be hard again. I cant demand dumb "run through forests for hours between questgivers miles away from each other for 2-300 xp" scenarios to make a comeback.

Yeah, I sure as hell don't miss that.

Oh hey, it's old WOW nostalgia glasses wearing time again.

Old WOW fucking sucked. Play 60-70 in Outland and try to keep a straight face while still telling everyone you want old WOW questing back.

Remember old Azshara? Attunement for raids? Getting stuck with 10 quests left that were all telling you to kill elites all over the world map but no one was around to form a group to do it?

webrunner

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Old WOW fucking sucked. Play 60-70 in Outland and try to keep a straight face while still telling everyone you want old WOW questing back.

Also when you do this, remember Outland was heralded as a revelation, a godsend, of quest and area design.

Outland used to be by far the best thing in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom