• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

AdventureRacing said:
I'm sorry but this is total bullshit and you are using flawed logic. Just because someone can suck in good gear doesn't mean that gear means nothing. If there are 2 equally geared people, one in good gear and one in bad gear then the person with better gear will perform better. It's that simple.

I'm sorry but this is total bullshit and you are using flawed logic. What you describe is a scenario where you have two players of equal skill, but one has better gear than the other.

Also the bolded part makes no sense

C.Dark.DN

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I'm sorry but this is total bullshit and you are using flawed logic. Just because someone can suck in good gear doesn't mean that gear means nothing. If there are 2 equally geared people, one in good gear and one in bad gear then the person with better gear will perform better. It's that simple.
You meant to say equally skilled? It'd obviously be more difficult for a whole raid to do ICC heroic in tier 7 than it would in tier 9. Most people say gearscore is meaningless to judge skill. When you consider people getting carried, rotations, boss strategy, movement, a 6kgs can easily preform like a 5kgs.

Trickster said:
I'm sorry but this is total bullshit and you are using flawed logic. What you describe is a scenario where you have two players of equal skill, but one has better gear than the other.

Are you just fucking with me? That was exactly my point. If 2 players are equally skilled but one has better gear then that person will perform better in raids.

Trickster said:
Also the bolded part makes no sense

Is it really that hard to unserstand? If there are 2 equally skilled players but one has better gear then the other the one with the better gear will perform better in raids.

Edit:looks like i made the mistake here sorry.

Spruchy said:
Wwwwwwwwrong.

Your contribution is worthless and you are completely wrong. Congrats!

DeathNote said:
You meant to say equally skilled? It'd obviously be more difficult to do ICC heroic in tier 7 than it would in tier 9. Most people say gearscore is meaningless to judge skill. When you consider people getting carried, rotations, boss strategy, movement, a 6kgs can easily preform like a 5kgs.

Oops typo, yes i meant skilled :lol .

I completely agree but that doesn't mean that gear is completely irrelevant.

f0rk

AdventureRacing said:
Are you just fucking with me? That was exactly my point. If 2 players are equally skilled but one has better gear then that person will perform better in raids.

Is it really that hard to unserstand? If there are 2 equally skilled players but one has better gear then the other the one with the better gear will perform better in raids.

There is nothing to argue.

Your contribution is worthless and you are completely wrong. Congrats!

You have no measure of skill though.

f0rk said:
You have no measure of skill though.

That is irrelevant to my point. I am not trying to judge a persons skill.

I was replying to the idea that gear is completely irrelevant and that the only thing that matters is skill.

I countered this by saying that if there were 2 equally skilled people but one had better gear that person would perform better.

Or for another example. If you take the best player in the world and make him do ICC with a 5K GS they will only be able to do a certain amount of damage. Now take that same person and give them enough gear to be at 6K GS. Obviously the second time they will do more damage.

I am not saying gear > skill as that is just stupid. However that doesn't mean that gear is totally irrelevant.

JWong

Banned
Raide said:
Gear does not equal skill.

Sure, once you hit end content raiding you need gear and skill. The problem is that Blizzard kept and keeps nerfing bosses because people that don't raid much cry that they cannot get any gear or that the fights are too time consuming.

I know plenty of people with 6k GS that still don't know their own class correctly, mainly because Blizzard are throwing gear all over the place.

When it comes to raiding guilds, if 1 person is not pulling their weight, I doubt they would be raiding much. There is always someone else that wants to gear up and wants to put the effort in to get there.
Like I said, you would need to be clearing ICC10-25 to be getting 6k gs. My druid, who has a Bloodbathed Vanquisher, barely tips over 6k with all 264 gear.

It's still a fact that, regardless of any kind of skill, if your gear doesn't meet the requirements for the raid dungeon gear check, you don't get to go. That's what gear score is for.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
JWong said:
Like I said, you would need to be clearing ICC10-25 to be getting 6k gs. My druid, who has a Bloodbathed Vanquisher, barely tips over 6k with all 264 gear.

It's still a fact that, regardless of any kind of skill, if your gear doesn't meet the requirements for the raid dungeon gear check, you don't get to go. That's what gear score is for.
Gearcheck bosses have a certain amount of damage you must do before they auto wipe the raid for X reason. The gearscore can vary. All that matters is everyone can do it as a team.

Chris R

Only major gripe I have so far is the fact that the quests start to under level you VERY quickly. I'm just starting in Duskwood and already I'm 26 with a call to arms in N. STV. I just wish the quests/mobs would stay yellow all the way but whatever :|

rhfb said:
Only major gripe I have so far is the fact that the quests start to under level you VERY quickly. I'm just starting in Duskwood and already I'm 26 with a call to arms in N. STV. I just wish the quests/mobs would stay yellow all the way but whatever :|

On the plus side, the rep gain is not the slow crawl uphill it used to be...

Chris R

KibblesBits said:
On the plus side, the rep gain is not the slow crawl uphill it used to be...
Yes it is, only because I'm hard capped at 5999/6000 for every faction outside of SW (well I'm almost there with Gileanas). Any clue when the hard cap goes bye bye?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
rhfb said:
Yes it is, only because I'm hard capped at 5999/6000 for every faction outside of SW (well I'm almost there with Gileanas). Any clue when the hard cap goes bye bye?
Quests and dungeon tabards will get you past that.

Effect

Finally got my order through via Amazon.com. They put release date delivery back up for the game. Realized that getting the in game cinematics is something I couldn't compromise on. If I'm going to be paying full price for the expansion I want all if it. If the digital download version isn't going to have those files (downloading everything via the installer) then it shouldn't be priced the same as the box version.

I do wonder now how big of a patch I'll be facing once I reinstall the expansion from the dvd. Or I wonder if I can do a repair install so it installs all the missing files that aren't included by the launcher.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Effect said:
Finally got my order through via Amazon.com. They put release date delivery back up for the game. Realized that getting the in game cinematics is something I couldn't compromise on. If I'm going to be paying full price for the expansion I want all if it. If the digital download version isn't going to have those files (downloading everything via the installer) then it shouldn't be priced the same as the box version.

I do wonder now how big of a patch I'll be facing once I reinstall the expansion from the dvd. Or I wonder if I can do a repair install so it installs all the missing files that aren't included by the launcher.
The Cat cinematic was released for free with the shattering patch. If for some reason you don't have WOTLK cinematics, it'll download in the background automatically after all critical updates.

Fularu

Banned
The digital version has everything...

The opening cinematic has been added in Patch 4.0.3a and you don't need the expansion to get it

Effect

Really? I thought it was the case all those, even beyond the opening, weren't included. If not then that changes things. Thanks.

Fularu

Banned
Effect said:
Really? I thought it was the case all those, even beyond the opening, weren't included. If not then that changes things. Thanks.
No, and that wouldn't make any sense

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Fularu said:
No, and that wouldn't make any sense
A month-ish ago people on the official forums started reporting that the WOTLK cinematic weren't being installed.

A blue said:
"As such the Wrath loading cinematic, Wrathgate, etc... will no longer be installed with the game when using the digital streaming download. This may change in the future(no promises, heh) however for right now they are part of the digital download. "

Then they said:
"We’d like to take a moment to clarify how we’ll be delivering World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cinematics to players who purchase the expansion digitally through Battle.net or download the installer from the web in the future.

Prior to the December 7 launch of Cataclysm, all current World of Warcraft players will receive the Cataclysm intro cinematic as part of an upcoming patch. In addition, all other in-game cinematics (including previous ones such as the Wrathgate movie) will be available for download to players who have not previously installed them. These cinematics will be automatically downloaded in the background while you play the game, after other critical game data has been received."

Fularu

Banned
It was probably a bug, then they backpeddaled and claimed to "listen to the overwhelming demands of their fans" :p

DeathNote said:

Exactly, I'm getting exalted status with so many factions at once it seems wrong. Now the feat of strength type factions... I don't know if they've been hastened or if the rep gain reduces with level/rep status... we shall see.

notsol337

marked forever
For those wanting to PvP as Horde with some gaffers...

Stormreaver is where I play, and Twig also plays there as well. Rac, Drkirby, and n0b have shown up to play with us too!

Stormreaver is pretty much filled with trolls (myself included) and it's certainly a hostile environment, but I couldn't play anywhere else.

Chris R

DeathNote said:
Quests aren't getting me by though, I'm still hard capped at friendly. Do I have to wear a tabard once to get over it and then quests will continue to give rep?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
rhfb said:
Quests aren't getting me by though, I'm still hard capped at friendly. Do I have to wear a tabard once to get over it and then quests will continue to give rep?

I dont understand, quests alone can get your reputation with any factions over friendly. For example, my undead mage who is lvl 26 is already exalted with Undercity just by questing in Tirisfal, Silverpine & Hillsbrad..

Chris R

Bisnic said:
I dont understand, quests alone can get your reputation with any factions over friendly. For example, my undead mage who is lvl 26 is already exalted with Undercity just by questing in Tirisfal, Silverpine & Hillsbrad..
What about the other horde factions though? My HUMAN paladin is almost exalted with STORMWIND, but every other single alliance faction is at 5999/6000 except for the new one, and that is getting close (only like 600 rep off it now). I'm just wondering how to increase my rep with the other factions outside of my starting one as quests don't seem to be increasing their rep any more, again except for the Worgens.

Railer

rhfb said:
What about the other horde factions though? My HUMAN paladin is almost exalted with STORMWIND, but every other single alliance faction is at 5999/6000 except for the new one, and that is getting close (only like 600 rep off it now). I'm just wondering how to increase my rep with the other factions outside of my starting one as quests don't seem to be increasing their rep any more, again except for the Worgens.

I started a new troll druid after the patch came out, and quests for sure add reputation to the other horde factions. I'm revered with Orgrimmar atm and honored with all the others. I'm level 30-ish and been just questing through the new content.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
rhfb said:
Everything with 5999/6000 is spillover rep. You were doing quests that awarded Stormwind rep, and a percentage also went everywhere else. To break past 5999/6000 in Exodar for example you could go to the Dranei zones... or you can buy the Exodar tabard, wear it, and earn rep for Exodar while in dungeons. Each major faction has a tabard. If you want the Dranei mount, wear it till exalted hen pick the next tabard of choice.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
notworksafe said:
If a name is in use but not on the armory you can petition a GM to make it open for the taking. I think the restrictions are a character under level 10 and has to have not been played in a long time (not sure of the exact amount of time).
hmm, really? i never knew that. do you know if you can make this request when renaming an existing character?

notworksafe said:
Also I think the Alliance Lion looks cool (the white bit turns into your guild tabard).

that is really cool, better than the scorpion imo. scorpion is a bit over the top and over designed. lion is a more elegant.

Carm

Scrow said:
hmm, really? i never knew that. do you know if you can make this request when renaming an existing character?

that is really cool, better than the scorpion imo. scorpion is a bit over the top and over designed. lion is a more elegant.

I just did this recently, character with the name didn't exist on the armory so was under lvl 10 or didnt get played for a really long time. First petition they wouldn't free up the name, second time they did. I did have to pay for a name change to swap to it of course.

Spruchy

AdventureRacing said:
That is irrelevant to my point. I am not trying to judge a persons skill.

I was replying to the idea that gear is completely irrelevant and that the only thing that matters is skill.

I countered this by saying that if there were 2 equally skilled people but one had better gear that person would perform better.

Or for another example. If you take the best player in the world and make him do ICC with a 5K GS they will only be able to do a certain amount of damage. Now take that same person and give them enough gear to be at 6K GS. Obviously the second time they will do more damage.

I am not saying gear > skill as that is just stupid. However that doesn't mean that gear is totally irrelevant.
MrWrong.jpg

RPGCrazied

I'm getting the CE from Amazon! With release day shipping! Of course it won't be here until like 8pm the day of, UPS around here always like to deliver then. Did I hear some people in this thread are from the Whisperwind server? That's my home realm, been playing there since 05.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the Official Blizzard Podcast discussed the creation of Cataclysm in its recent episode and it was said that over 8 hours of new recorded music was recorded for Cataclysm.

Spruchy

Brandon F said:
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the Official Blizzard Podcast discussed the creation of Cataclysm in its recent episode and it was said that over 8 hours of new recorded music was recorded for Cataclysm.

I'd believe it, I've heard over two hours worth just from leveling a shaman to 40.

Carm

SuperSonic1305 said:
My FPS went from solid 60fps pre-patch to constant drops to 30-40 in the trade district. Is this a common problem?

Stormwind went from mostly low level players in the city to a ton of 80s just sitting in the city, all packed like sardines in the trade district, it's normal. They should have put a flight master/trainer in the dwarven district as well, and should have made Ironforge a more appealing place, to get people to spread out more. Though hopefully people spread out to the dwarven district when cata hits and the flight master won't be as big of a deal.

Word, my mage alt is now level 65. Questing is so quick and fun, I went from level 7 on last Saturday to 65 today (I barely played during the weekday because I didn't have my computer up and running =( )

Jakeh111

Angelus Errare said:
Word, my mage alt is now level 65. Questing is so quick and fun, I went from level 7 on last Saturday to 65 today (I barely played during the weekday because I didn't have my computer up and running =( )
I need to do this, I leveled to 72 thru instances alone but now xp gain has slowed alot

Angelus Errare said:

I have no idea how people do this. I have been playing a few hours a day for like two weeks and I've only gotten my rogue from 32 to 47. Are you just running instances, or doing quests?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I have no idea how people do this. I have been playing a few hours a day for like two weeks and I've only gotten my rogue from 32 to 47. Are you just running instances, or doing quests?

Same. I've always been a slow leveler.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Both, I'm also wearing heirloom gear, this is the fastest I have EVER leveled, I'm slow at it and I hate it.

JoeMartin

I don't know what this seems to be a contentious point of interest in here.

The skillcap for playing any class within the upper bounds of its potential is not very high. Either you know how to gear yourself (proper choices for enchants/gems/reforging/balanced stat weights) as well as your rotation, or you don't. Class competency isn't something to be commended, it's something to be expected of each and every raid member. Keeping that in mind, the raw gear from which all your interaction from the game will stem makes a massive difference in performance, not because better gear inherently makes a better player, but because the player that already knows what he's doing will put up higher numbers with gear that has higher numbers on it.

This is, of course, acknowledging that gear isn't everything and that every raid and raid member has to start somewhere - the bottom, as everyone will on Tuesday. The part of raiding that separates good players/guilds from bad ones has been and always will be raid awareness.

JoeMartin said:
I don't know what this seems to be a contentious point of interest in here.

The skillcap for playing any class within the upper bounds of its potential is not very high. Either you know how to gear yourself (proper choices for enchants/gems/reforging/balanced stat weights) as well as your rotation, or you don't. Class competency isn't something to be commended, it's something to be expected of each and every raid member. Keeping that in mind, the raw gear from which all your interaction from the game will stem makes a massive difference in performance, not because better gear inherently makes a better player, but because the player that already knows what he's doing will put up higher numbers with gear that has higher numbers on it.

This is, of course, acknowledging that gear isn't everything and that every raid and raid member has to start somewhere - the bottom, as everyone will on Tuesday. The part of raiding that separates good players/guilds from bad ones has been and always will be raid awareness.

Pretty much.

Raide

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Out of the 5 80's I have, they have all only gone through a small amount of instances at low level. Finding a good levelling guide helps out massively. There are a few add-ons that help with questing, so just grab one of those.

You pick up quests and try to complete and hand them in, using the most efficient method. Completing one quest, then handing in just sucks. Finish as many as you can in one area, then hand them all in, then go back for the next chunk.

Knowing where and how to level are part of the battle. Sometimes you have to go into braindead mode and just sit there grinding quests and levelling. :lol

On this toon I have barely quested, tbh the only questing I've done are the 1-60 quests inside the instance, other than that.....I've just been instance queuing :lol I was level 58 yesterday (Sat midday) and now I'm sitting at 66 (just dinged) and going to sleep.

Twig

Banned
notsol337 said:
For those wanting to PvP as Horde with some gaffers...

Stormreaver is where I play, and Twig also plays there as well. Rac, Drkirby, and n0b have shown up to play with us too!

Stormreaver is pretty much filled with trolls (myself included) and it's certainly a hostile environment, but I couldn't play anywhere else.
Oops you just ruined any chance of someone joining Stormreaver!

WoW-GAF hates me. :D
At least, they used to.

Castor Krieg said:
You don't get a free month with any expansion except the main game.

Whaat...I could swear I got some free time with both BC and WotLK...maybe I am just thinking of the free trials though. :/

MadraptorMan said:
Whaat...I could swear I got some free time with both BC and WotLK...maybe I am just thinking of the free trials though. :/

Free trials, WoW was doing quite a number of them at various points in time, also for people who quit playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom