• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

The JP numbers are supposedly "normal" for level 80 stuff, but the heirloom cost has been updated to be level 85. So it'll take the same amount of time to get them with JP at 85 as it did with badges at 80.

Not sure why the heirloom cost got changed now? Maybe it was to force people to dump as many badges as possible before the change to JP?

Retro

Magnus said:
I'm pissed, like everyone else I'm sure, that the emergence of Deathwing has to be a nebulous event that will never actually occur at any moment. I mean, it can't really, unless Blizzard heavily advertises a schedule for it (which kind of kills the magic of the moment), and then the servers would be flooded with people trying to be online for it.

It would have been much more interesting, from a storytelling standpoint, to have each character appear in a private instance the first time they log in after Cataclysm. Have a little fly-thru with narration (like when you start a new character) that foreshadows the events about to occur before dropping the player in to the game.

Since Deathwing seems to be focused on Stormwind, have the intro for the horde quickly cover the change of leadership from Thrall to Garrosh. Players start on ships, sneaking into Stormwind harbor and lead by Garrosh as he plans to lead a skirmish against Stormwind.

Alliance players, of course, are in Stormwind on their usual business.

That's when Deathwing attacks, and you get a first-hand glance at what he can do as Stormwind is blown apart and set ablaze. Alliance players have a few small quests to put out flames or lead citizens to safety, while Garrosh decides to take advantage of the situation and attempt a kidnapping of Alliance Leadership.

In the end, the alliance players barely manage to save the city while Garrosh and the Horde players manage to take a few prisoners (maybe even some important ones if it were crucial to the storyline) before escaping back to Orgrimmar. Then it drops you into the game where the whole world is changed.

Of course, there's a lot more you could do with it (like having Horde players truck by a tsunami and wash up in the Goblin starting area), but I highly suspect we'll get an in-game cinematic when we first log in and then 'poof' everything will be changed. Blizzard isn't especially clever, but damn can they imitate and polish what's come before.

notworksafe

DeathNote said:
how easy is that to solo on a DK?

How hard is Mimiron's Head?
Warhorse is easy. There is a bug if you down Midnight too fast though. Mimiron's Head is kinda hard though, 25M Yogg 0 Light.

LaserBuddha said:
OK a friend is now telling me not to get the JP gear, but instead save my JP and buy an 85 set when Cataclysm comes out.

Sounds like a good idea.
I think it's a good idea at this point in time but don't expect to get a full set of lvl 85 T11 gear with only 4k JP. Weren't the bigger pieces priced at 2200 JP in the beta? I don't know if that's going to stay the same, but it's a lot. However, we will be earning a lot more JP from lvl 85 heroics and raids anyway.

So I think it's a good path to take. You'll definitely get at least a couple pieces of T11 if you manage to go into Cata with 4k JP. And that'll make it somewhat easier when you start running the instances.

Or you could be impatient like a buddy of mine and buy some T10 just because you can. :D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Warhorse is easy. There is a bug if you down Midnight too fast though. Mimiron's Head is kinda hard though, 25M Yogg 0 Light.
I don't supposed you can solo KT in The Eye or Yogg at 85?

notworksafe

KT maybe, Yogg 25 0L probably not. Mim's Head and Invincible are being changed to be super low % drops from Yogg/Arthas instead of 100% in Cata anyway.

Flib

Confused101 said:
I think it's a good idea at this point in time but don't expect to get a full set of lvl 85 T11 gear with only 4k JP. Weren't the bigger pieces priced at 2200 JP in the beta? I don't know if that's going to stay the same, but it's a lot. However, we will be earning a lot more JP from lvl 85 heroics and raids anyway.

So I think it's a good path to take. You'll definitely get at least a couple pieces of T11 if you manage to go into Cata with 4k JP. And that'll make it somewhat easier when you start running the instances.

Or you could be impatient like a buddy of mine and buy some T10 just because you can. :D

You can't buy T11 with JP, only VP.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Confused101 said:

t11 is only valor points. (daily heroic and raids)

blue gear is justice points. and you'll be able to get like two pieces.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1989-Cataclysm-Release-Dalaran-Portals-Cataclysm-Epic-Stats

Magnus

Retro said:
It would have been much more interesting, from a storytelling standpoint, to have each character appear in a private instance the first time they log in after Cataclysm. Have a little fly-thru with narration (like when you start a new character) that foreshadows the events about to occur before dropping the player in to the game.

Shit, that's brilliant. Why aren't they doing that? "Too much work for something only x% of our population will see" isn't an argument at all.

They spend so much time and resources on an intro CG vid that people will only see once or twice; only seems to make sense that all players are given an interactive 5-10 minute instanced run to witness the Cataclysm begin.

All we're going to get instead for 2-4 weeks is chat channels clogged with "wutz happening?"

DeathNote said:
I don't supposed you can solo KT in The Eye or Yogg at 85?

It'll probably be possible to 3-5man it. It's easy to 8-10man it now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
The JP numbers are supposedly "normal" for level 80 stuff, but the heirloom cost has been updated to be level 85. So it'll take the same amount of time to get them with JP at 85 as it did with badges at 80.

Not sure why the heirloom cost got changed now? Maybe it was to force people to dump as many badges as possible before the change to JP?
I decided to do some maths... everything is excluding random heroic reward.

They were 40-65 emblems, so 40-65 boss kills.

Right now they takes and equivalent of 180-300 emblems, which would take 135-218 boss kills.

At 85 it'll take 28-46 boss kills.

Garryk

In response to the folks talking about the world just changing, I think doing an in-game cinematic like Wrathgate showcasing the major cities/zones being "shattered" would suffice. Then they should put in some dailies for both factions to rebuild Org/SW leading up to Cataclysm launch like the Shattered Sun dailies led up to Sunwell.

I have the mount but haven't been able to get any damn toothpicks :/

About the JP thing...ive got the shoulders from the current set and a few hundred JP left over...so I'm still earning JP and thr question is whether or not to spend any of it pre-Cataclysm.

I noticed a new raid interface yesterday. Is there a website out there that explains how it works? I checked WoW insider and wowiki but couldn't find anything.

-NeoTB1-

I finished all the Hallow's End achievements on my Holy Pally over the weekend. The mount still eludes me though. I've only gotten it on my alt DK. :/ Still, it was nice to get another title.

vilmer_

I'm now 0 for 24 on the Headless Horseman's mount :( A friend of mine has had zero luck either. Good thing there's still lots of time left!

Retro

Magnus said:
Shit, that's brilliant. Why aren't they doing that? "Too much work for something only x% of our population will see" isn't an argument at all.

They spend so much time and resources on an intro CG vid that people will only see once or twice; only seems to make sense that all players are given an interactive 5-10 minute instanced run to witness the Cataclysm begin.

All we're going to get instead for 2-4 weeks is chat channels clogged with "wutz happening?"

You'd think given the popularity of the DK starting area that they'd do a similarly phased Cataclysm event the first time a character logs in. Something to show the chaos as it's happening, to make you realize "holy shit, the world is ending". It doesn't need to be an epic 5-hour journey, but fuck all, if we're gonna do it, do it right.

Let's throw out the Stormwind-centric scenario I laid out earlier. Let's have everyone log in at their racial capitol (since everyone has one now) or region. Different parts of the world suffer different outcomes. Stormwind gets a direct hit, Darkshore gets sideswipped, lots of places just get flooded or shaken to bits. Have a few quests just before it hits, a heavily-phased quest that shows the cataclysm actually happening (or even an in-game cinematic but on a local level), and a few quests after showing the recovery effort.

A half-hour to 45 minutes worth of questing, tops. Give the player a special cosmetic reward for the event, and then remove it from the game a few months after launch (so it's something unique people have to remember). Something like a torn, stained racial tabbard or an 'injured' version of each race's pet ("Waterlogged Hare", "Singed Prairie Dog", etc.)

One could even do something similar on a per-class basis... Which reminds me, Blizzard's decision to stop doing class-specific quests is just... lame.

Having somebody at Blizzard HQ flip a switch, boot everyone from the servers, and then have it changed when they log back in sounds exactly like something Blizzard would do, and that's really really sad.

DarkJC

The Lamonster said:
Okay thanks. The number of them flowing in is so low that I thought I was missing something :(

The heirloom prices are balanced around the rate you'll receive points at 85, which is much higher.

notworksafe said:
VP is just for the highest tier level. When T12 comes out, you will be able to buy T11 with Justice Points.
Makes sense. So I'm guessing we'll be able to convert VP to JP kind of like we could convert frost badges to triumph badges? Or would we need to?

I think they added better weather effects in this patch too.

I showed up in Darkshire, Duskwood last night during this huge storm and there were clouds of steam all around that I'd never seen before.

Alex

They're not going to be able to make a glut of world wide, animation heavy, phased quest chains for a one time occurrence that would only have real impact as a live event, and would probably be impossible as such.

They should def put in quick narrative blurbs or a fly by though, that's a great idea, I mean you won't even have the CG video giving you a hint of what the fuck happened until Cata ships I assume. Granted, I'm sure they'll event fare letting you know all about it, but for those who resub after the fact, etc.

Maybe just quibbling though, I can't imagine the window between 4.0.3 and Cataclysm retail is very large and this is all guess work anyway since we don't know what will actually happen.

Didn't notice that Blizzcon pic until now, big pic so only the link :

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...gallery_18.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cjMtJAbO0#t=0m56s

The Lamonster said:
I think they added better weather effects in this patch too.

I showed up in Darkshire, Duskwood last night during this huge storm and there were clouds of steam all around that I'd never seen before.

Weather effects have been in for a really long time.

Tacitus_

Confused101 said:
Makes sense. So I'm guessing we'll be able to convert VP to JP kind of like we could convert frost badges to triumph badges? Or would we need to?

It autoconverts all your VP to JP after they patch in a new tier.

TomServo

Retro said:
You'd think given the popularity of the DK starting area that they'd do a similarly phased Cataclysm event the first time a character logs in. Something to show the chaos as it's happening, to make you realize "holy shit, the world is ending". It doesn't need to be an epic 5-hour journey, but fuck all, if we're gonna do it, do it right.

That'd be fun the first time, but even for someone like me with only two alts it'd be painful as hell to have to go through that on every character.

Acidote

After a few more Baron Runs I finally got my.........

Plans: Hammer of the Titans >.<

I did A LOT of runs today, but no luck. Tomorrow will be another day :lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
What professions should I choose for a new character (goblin Warlock) in Cataclysm? Usefulness and moneymaking in mind. I've been thinking of Enchanting or Jewelcrafting (would need mining maybe?) or Tailoring. Maybe I have to go with Engineering, though, being a goblin and all!

JC/Mining isnt a bad combo.

Im sticking with Herb/Alch on my main. Herbs always sell for a lot, plus the bonus to flasks for my Paladin is always nice.

And lets not forget the Alchemy mount. :D

Osaka said:
What professions should I choose for a new character (goblin Warlock) in Cataclysm? Usefulness and moneymaking in mind. I've been thinking of Enchanting or Jewelcrafting (would need mining maybe?) or Tailoring. Maybe I have to go with Engineering, though, being a goblin and all!

Engineering or GTFO.

Garryk

Inscription/Enchanting is a goldmine if you have a character that can farm the herbs. You can just disenchant the gear you get while leveling through quests and dungeons.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MT sucked soloing for the first time. Had to do the chain quest in normal mode. Had a few wipes learning the layout, what to and not to kill, bosses. No mount.

notworksafe

Osaka said:
Mining/Herbalism will make the most consistent money throughout the expansion.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I dont have an another character to gather shit with. I was Herb/Alch for 4 years so I think I'm going to do something else for a change and maybe go Mining/JC.

...I do sorta want to try Engineering though. Feels sorta pointless, however :(

Mining & Herbalism seems like the way to go when leveling, though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Osaka said:
I dont have an another character to gather shit with. I was Herb/Alch for 4 years so I think I'm going to do something else for a change and maybe go Mining/JC.

...I do sorta want to try Engineering though. Feels sorta pointless, however :(
Do it if you want to do a lot of pvp.

notworksafe

Well at the moment Engineering is stupid overpowered because you can use both Engineering enchants and regular enchants on gear. I doubt that will stick around for long however.

Even so, for all of Wrath, Engineering had the best enchants for DPS (even if it was only by a few points).

Retro

Well, at least I've had a little luck this week. No Horseman mount, no Reins of the Raven Lord, no ZG tiger. However, I did finally manage to get the last major piece of the Purple Judgment set complete;

io2lcm.jpg

Hmm... looks like I forgot to put on the belt, even though I have it. The last part I needed was the leggings, and I'm not too worried about getting the bracers or boots. I'll probably start doing Heroic MT now to see if I can get the White Hawkstrider since I won't be doing Underbog anymore.

And yeah, that's original Quel'Serrar, not the burnished or gleaming one that drops of Ony now. I went through the whole quest chain back in the day and solo'd the bitch m'self. I was blown away way back in Vanilla when a Warrior we PUG'ged with had one and I made it a point to try and get one on my Belfadin.

TomServo said:
That'd be fun the first time, but even for someone like me with only two alts it'd be painful as hell to have to go through that on every character.

I think after completing on a character, you'd be able to talk to an NPC and skip it. In fact, if people didn't want to do it at all, they could have that option.

The bottom line is, ANYTHING would be better than "Apocalypse... NOW"

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Well at the moment Engineering is stupid overpowered because you can use both Engineering enchants and regular enchants on gear. I doubt that will stick around for long however.

Even so, for all of Wrath, Engineering had the best enchants for DPS (even if it was only by a few points).
I thought BS/JC was the best dps for DK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom