• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setreal

So I've resubbed and installed all my old add-ons. However, it seems a lot has changed since I last played (early WOTLK), and I haven't seriously raided since TBC. I tried out some heroics with the new dungeon finder and my healing as a holy priest seems very weak and ineffective. I don't know if its my gear (as I've lost all sense of what is good/bad) or if I'm playing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bleeding Hollow&n=Savoy

Alex

All healers are presently really overpowered because the scaling changes for Cataclysm don't really go into effect until you start leveling up to 83, 84, 85.

But you're pretty meekly geared, mix of leveling blues and low end 70 epics, so if you're running with groups that set a high pace, it'd not too surprising that you can feel a bit pinched.

Give Disc a shot, maybe, it probably caters better to the speed of things, and it's certainly easier on mana at the moment.

Setreal

Alex said:
All healers are presently really overpowered because the scaling changes for Cataclysm don't really go into effect until you start leveling up to 83, 84, 85.

But you're pretty meekly geared, mix of leveling blues and low end 70 epics, so if you're running with groups that set a high pace, it'd not too surprising that you can feel a bit pinched.

Give Disc a shot, maybe, it probably caters better to the speed of things, and it's certainly easier on mana at the moment.

I considered disc - but I'm not sure I even understand how disc operates anymore. Just by reading around it seems people are using smite to heal... am I reading that right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Setreal said:
I considered disc - but I'm not sure I even understand how disc operates anymore. Just by reading around it seems people are using smite to heal... am I reading that right?
You can take a talent which causes your Smite to heal people for the same damage it causes. It's not supposed to be viable past 80 because of mana issues.

Aesthet1c

Setreal said:
So I've resubbed and installed all my old add-ons. However, it seems a lot has changed since I last played (early WOTLK), and I haven't seriously raided since TBC. I tried out some heroics with the new dungeon finder and my healing as a holy priest seems very weak and ineffective. I don't know if its my gear (as I've lost all sense of what is good/bad) or if I'm playing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bleeding Hollow&n=Savoy
Healing had changed a lot with the most recent patch. Heal is now your go to healing spell, with flash heal being really expensive but heals more than heal. I suggest you head over to elitist jerks and check out their priest forum, I'm sure they have some great pointers in healing with the new system.

That being said, your gear really is quite low. You have a lot of lvl 70 gear still. I wouldn't stress about that much though because you'll be replacin everything when cataclysm hits.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aesthet1c said:
Healing had changed a lot with the most recent patch. Heal is now your go to healing spell, with flash heal being really expensive but heals more than heal. I suggest you head over to elitist jerks and check out their priest forum, I'm sure they have some great pointers in healing with the new system.

That being said, your gear really is quite low. You have a lot of lvl 70 gear still. I wouldn't stress about that much though because you'll be replacin everything when cataclysm hits.
Nobody uses Heal at the moment. There's no reason to. You wouldn't run out of mana even spamming Flash Heal.

Alex

Disc is better than Holy at 85 by a fair margin and Smite works great, but it changes from spamming it to attempting to (largely) just get a 5 stack of Evangelism for Archangel every 30 seconds. You can still spam it depending on situation if you have the time, though, and it'll probably get easier on the ol' mana bar as Archangels return is currently bugged I read.

Holy will probably get some tune ups on beta, as it's mana regen is really poor at 85. Resto Druid will likely have Revitalize nerfed down hard, why they even bothered to put in an int scaling regen talent at 85 is beyond me, this is what caused all the problems to begin with.

But yeah, there's no point of using Heal at 80, the model just isn't in place yet since you've still got crazy mana regen, small health pools and your flash heal costs 1000 mana, not 7000.

Sober

I tried playing Holy tonight, but trying to use Chakra: Heal at this point feels pointless. At least C:pOH is still fun. I dunno, Holy seems like it will be super cool at 85 but right now spamming Flash heal is all you need to do.

Alex

Yeah, it's a lot diff at 85. Chakra: Heal is a huge thing in heroics and Chakra: PoH is useless atm due to mana cost.

Angry Grimace

I'm glad to hear that a new WoW wiki is going up. I'd noticed a slip in the quality of that particular site (which I have to use a lot for older boss strategies or just lore), and it sort of explains some things.

Also, removing the Insane achievement is an asshole thing for Blizzard to do.

notworksafe

Do you mean Wowpedia? It's the same people running it, they just got tired of Wikia's shit (ads and other annoyingness). I believe it is run by Curse now.

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Do you mean Wowpedia? It's the same people running it, they just got tired of Wikia's shit (ads and other annoyingness). I believe it is run by Curse now.
That's what I meant. Wowwiki started sucking due to ads and articles turning to sloppy shit and I couldn't figure out why it was getting so crappy.

notworksafe

Probably because Wikia is low on money. Curse seems to have plenty though. I don't actually subscribe to their "Curse Gold" or w/e it is called. Does anyone here?

EDIT: Just as I post this of course...

There has been an unexpected error with the Curse Network back end servers. This is probably temporary issue and will be corrected as fast as possible.

Angry Grimace

You know, I never noticed how completely ridiculously overpriced race change, faction change and server transfer are. They cost about about a 1 and 2/3's months of sub. fees. That's ridiculous.

notworksafe

It's equivalent to what other games charge for the same services, so it's not that big of a deal. How many people even use them...or if they do, how many do it more than once?

I've been trying to get Oculus (1 C) for a random for like 2 months now so I have a chance to get the drake. I always get the same crap; HOL, UK, UP, and VH. I can do them all in one day and they just start repeating. And if I leave one, I'll just get the same one the next time. I really want to get the blue drake before they take it out of Oculus.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
It says wowwiki was a 100% copy as of the 18th but a number of admins and contributors will be moving.

Are some wanting to keep wiki running? Competeing information databases is lame especially if it splits the contributors and one is cleary a better host.

Gotta love the reactions when I get Occulus in a random and the group finds out I havent played for a year and don't remember how to run it. :/

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Been running some instances on my Shadow Priest (Level 75) and having some serious mana problems, am I doing something wrong or is just normal?

Sullen

Ikuu said:
Been running some instances on my Shadow Priest (Level 75) and having some serious mana problems, am I doing something wrong or is just normal?

You're doing something wrong. Shadow Priests should never have mana problems with the amount of ways to recover mana they have.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
LaserBuddha said:
I picked the green dragon. :(

Green is simple once you know what to do.

For the final boss, just make sure you have 3 stacks of dots(button #1) on him before healing anyone, so that you always regen your own health, your dots heal you. Since your healing ability(button #3) slowly drain your health, you really need it. Just use #1 once after each heal to be sure you wont lose it.

Dont bother with the other spell(#2?) that reduce damage for 40% of your health.

TLDR : Use button #1 3 times, make sure it stays always on. Then heal with #3.

HildyB

I guess I've been real lucky with my PUGs, everyone has been very understanding of the changes and those of us returning after a year off or so. Only seen a couple pricks in the bunch.

Like puberty.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sullen said:
You're doing something wrong. Shadow Priests should never have mana problems with the amount of ways to recover mana they have.
Well I'm popping Dispersion and Shadowfiend whenever they're off cooldown, but I'm still running low, maybe my rotation is fucked up.

Bisnic said:
Green is simple once you know what to do.

For the final boss, just make sure you have 3 stacks of dots(button #1) on him before healing anyone, so that you always regen your own health, your dots heal you. Since your healing ability(button #3) slowly drain your health, you really need it. Just use #1 once after each heal to be sure you wont lose it.

Dont bother with the other spell(#2?) that reduce damage for 40% of your health.

TLDR : Use button #1 3 times, make sure it stays always on. Then heal with #3.

I kinda got the gist of what needed to be done. Our tank just ragequit the second he saw that I picked the green one (declaring that I must not know the instance if I picked the green one), not because of my performance with it.

Dunlop

HildyB said:
I guess I've been real lucky with my PUGs, everyone has been very understanding of the changes and those of us returning after a year off or so. Only seen a couple pricks in the bunch.

Like puberty.

Coming back after a 3 year hiatus as a holy priest was horrible with the people expecting to just steamroll through all the randoms, I had no clue what was going on for a few days :D

noleshark

Dunlop said:
Coming back after a 3 year hiatus as a holy priest was horrible with the people expecting to just steamroll through all the randoms, I had no clue what was going on for a few days :D

Having similar experiences myself. Between GS and I am careful with my pulls I have gotten a lot of snide comments and kicked a few times while I remember the instances.

Dunlop

noleshark said:
Having similar experiences myself. Between GS and I am careful with my pulls I have gotten a lot of snide comments and kicked a few times while I remember the instances.

A quick lesson to learn (unfortunately) is that 99% of the time your party will be way overgeared for any instance. Until cataclysm, there is no real strategy per se in any of these encounters except tank and spank and just DPS the shit out of anything.

Just keep chain pulling. It will take while after cata hits for people to learn what CC is

noleshark

Dunlop said:
A quick lesson to learn (unfortunately) is that 99% of the time your party will be way overgeared for any instance. Until cataclysm, there is no real strategy per se in any of these encounters except tank and spank and just DPS the shit out of anything.

Just keep chain pulling. It will take while after cata hits for people to learn what CC is

Very true. I will do this and then keep the CC idea for later.

Milpool

LaserBuddha said:
I feel physical pain every time I think about trying to get the Time-Lost Proto Drake.

I found him once, he was dead QQ. I've killed quite a few of the Northern Exposure mobs, currently hoping to tame Gondria but haven't seen them yet.

Dunlop said:

I felt your pain but a half step worse. I came back after 18 months and re-specced from Cat-DPS to Resto not having healed a day in my life with all the Rush Rush PUGs.

I survived these last 2 months through the power of alcohol, and now I can actually heal pretty damn well. My saving grace was 4.01 since all resto druids had to relearn what they knew due to the major healing changes.

Bisnic

Dunlop said:

While this might be true for most of the 5 mans, the bosses in the heroic ICC 5 mans at least require you to know when to move away or stop attacking if you dont wanna die, kill someone else, or heal the boss.

People can get pretty mad if Bronjahm, or whatever the name of the 1st Forge of Soul boss is, gets healed more than once because DPS dont move away from him after being targeted by his "summoning healing orb" spell.

Lets not mention the melee DPS who doesnt run away when Ick does his AOE poison or pursuit. They get one shotted and everyone laugh at them.

Then you have those super geared DPS who keep attacking Tyrannus & the last boss of FOS when they should stop and wonder why the hell the tank or healer just died in a matter of seconds.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
While this might be true for most of the 5 mans, the bosses in the heroic ICC 5 mans at least require you to know when to move away or stop attacking if you dont wanna die, kill someone else, or heal the boss.

true, ignore my advice for PoS,FoS and HoR

I totally forgot you could random into them, even thought I am well geared I cannot remember the last time I got them as a daily.

On another note, the whole daily random only nets you an extra 13 gold (as opposed to the 2 frost before the patch), you are better off just picking whatever instances you need to gear up

joelseph

krypt0nian said:
I felt your pain but a half step worse. I came back after 18 months and re-specced from Cat-DPS to Resto not having healed a day in my life with all the Rush Rush PUGs.

I survived these last 2 months through the power of alcohol, and now I can actually heal pretty damn well. My saving grace was 4.01 since all resto druids had to relearn what they knew due to the major healing changes.

Isn't healing amazing?! Healer for life.

Bisnic

Dunlop said:
On another note, the whole daily random only nets you an extra 13 gold (as opposed to the 2 frost before the patch), you are better off just picking whatever instances you need to gear up

No, you still get extra Justice Points by finishing a random.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dunlop said:
really, how much? It is not written on the "splash screen" when you choose to join a dungeon.
"Lich King Heroic dungeon boss -- 16 Justice Points
Lich King daily normal dungeon -- 12 Justice Points
Lich King daily Heroic dungeon -- 23 Justice Points
Lich King raid boss -- 23 Justice Points

Cataclysm Heroic dungeon boss -- 75 Justice Points
Cataclysm daily normal dungeon -- 75 Justice Points
Cataclysm daily Heroic dungeon -- 75 Valor Points
Cataclysm 10-player raid boss -- 75 Valor Points
Cataclysm 25-player raid boss -- 105 Valor Points "

watch when you kill the last boss. x16, x23

Bisnic

Dunlop said:
really, how much? It is not written on the "splash screen" when you choose to join a dungeon.

I think its 24? Or maybe thats just for the 1st random of the day. I'm not sure if you get that much for the others that follow.

Just look at your chat window when you kill the final boss of a random next time, you'll see it. But yeah, i find it weird that Blizz didn't put the amount in the random heroic LFD window.

Angry Grimace

Oni Link 666 said:
I've been trying to get Oculus (1 C) for a random for like 2 months now so I have a chance to get the drake. I always get the same crap; HOL, UK, UP, and VH. I can do them all in one day and they just start repeating. And if I leave one, I'll just get the same one the next time. I really want to get the blue drake before they take it out of Oculus.
It's because randoms are not really random unless you queue with 5. It likes to assign you to dungeons that people actually choose on purpose.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
I think its 24? Or maybe thats just for the 1st random of the day. I'm not sure if you get that much for the others that follow.

Just look at your chat window when you kill the final boss of a random next time, you'll see it. But yeah, i find it weird that Blizz didn't put the amount in the random heroic LFD window.
You get 0 for the other randoms. Just gold.

Dunlop

DeathNote said:
"Lich King Heroic dungeon boss -- 16 Justice Points
Lich King daily normal dungeon -- 12 Justice Points
Lich King daily Heroic dungeon -- 23 Justice Points
Lich King raid boss -- 23 Justice Points

Cataclysm Heroic dungeon boss -- 75 Justice Points
Cataclysm daily normal dungeon -- 75 Justice Points
Cataclysm daily Heroic dungeon -- 75 Valor Points
Cataclysm 10-player raid boss -- 75 Valor Points
Cataclysm 25-player raid boss -- 105 Valor Points "

watch when you kill the last boss. x16, x23

thanks, still do not think the x16 or x23 JP's are worth it for the time lost if you are looking for specific gear pieces from these dungeons. The frost was a much larger incentive

noleshark

Dunlop said:
true, ignore my advice for PoS,FoS and HoR

I totally forgot you could random into them, even thought I am well geared I cannot remember the last time I got them as a daily.

I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

I may just start picking for gear. Mostly farming JP and trying to get to 5k gold so I can use my drake.

Bisnic

noleshark said:
I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

I may just start picking for gear. Mostly farming JP and trying to get to 5k gold so I can use my drake.

Its 4k gold if you are exalted with Warsong Offensive or Valiance Expedition(?).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dunlop said:
thanks, still do not think the x16 or x23 JP's are worth it for the time lost if you are looking for specific gear pieces from these dungeons. The frost was a much larger incentive
X23 is 8 frost emblems.

Certain heirlooms cost as much as 300 frost emblems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom