• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osaka said:
What spec would you guys recommend for leveling a new Warlock in Cataclysm?

Is Affliction still the favorite?
Just going to say this to give a little more insight. From the little that I've read on the warlock forums, both chain dotting and drain tanking are things of the past. I'm not exactly sure why chain dotting isn't viable anymore, but drain tanking took a big hit that I noticed immediately. Both of these things made Affliction very fun to level as. In fact, I leveled my lock as Affliction when I started back a little after TBC came out. Now I don't even have it as my secondary spec.

Of course, YMMV, but for straight bad guy killing, I'd take the advice already given and go with Demo at this point in time especially since you get the felguard at level freakin' 10 now. I had to wait until I was 50 to get that bastard. He's a lot of fun.

Edit: Actually the felguard was a 41 point talent so I could've got him at 50, but didn't try out the spec until 60.

HildyB

The Lamonster said:
What's bugged about it?

Can't get "Explore Mulgore" because the city of Thunder Bluff will be discovered, but isn't counting toward the achievement. Seems its a known issue that can be fixed in game by a GM, but looks like everyones tickets are being ignored that have this issue or is being pushed to bottom of the que. Mines been open 4 days.

Loto said:
Just hit lvl 10 pally. Not sure quick spec to choose for soloing, Retribution or Protection. Any suggestions?

If you want to not die ever do Prot

If you want to not die ever do Ret

Prot just takes a little longer to kill things.

Anyone know of a good healing weapon for a druid that is pretty easy to obtain at 80?

Like through Justice Points etc...?

I'm totally reworking my druid from feral to restoration and I'm now running like 10+ heroic 5 mans a day to bank up on Justice Points for new gear - Yes yes.. I know it will be worthless in a month but I need somewhere to start.

Retro

WyndhamPrice said:
If you want to not die ever do Prot

If you want to not die ever do Ret

Prot just takes a little longer to kill things.

Minor addendum: Protection will get you into groups faster via the LFG Tool.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
TurtleSnatcher said:
Anyone know of a good healing weapon for a druid that is pretty easy to obtain at 80?

Like through Justice Points etc...?

I'm totally reworking my druid from feral to restoration and I'm now running like 10+ heroic 5 mans a day to bank up on Justice Points for new gear - Yes yes.. I know it will be worthless in a month but I need somewhere to start.

Farm regular Forge of Souls & Pit of Saron. Both instances can drop a 219 staff and there is no lockouts like with heroics.

mclem

Second minor addendum: Prot can kill some things solo that Ret can't. Not sure if the reverse is true, since I'm prot and not ret :)

Retro said:
Minor addendum: Protection will get you into groups faster via the LFG Tool.

I figured that was a given, I was remarking more on soloing which is what he was asking about.

I leveled 40-80 in Prot, it made life very easy.

Loto

Thank you. Gonna go protect just in case I do party and I'm not in a hurry so I'm ok with slow kills. Thanks for the help

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
With the WSG Weekend, wish I had leveled one of the ridiculously OP classes at the moment :(

Evlar

Banned
Ikuu said:
With the WSG Weekend, wish I had leveled one of the ridiculously OP classes at the moment :(
It's been very bad. Ran WSG last night against a team with two mages, an SPriest, and a warlock all focus-firing in the middle of the map. Since most of our team was melee there was nothing whatsoever we could do to them.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Being able to cast HoW when AV up has to be one of the most OP things they've added.

J-Rzez

Ikuu said:

Oh like a sub-rogue, where you can 1 or 2 shot nearly everyone in bg's? I only did a couple games because I actually felt bad for those not playing rogues in bg's. I mean, you sap someone and if you let it wear off, they'll just stand there and /dance because they know they're dead.

I took a screen cap (that didn't save for some reason) but one WSG I got into was all rogues, every-single-player :lol. It was so weird that you didn't see anyone, then you'd see someone pop out of stealth being sapped, then you'd see them get ambushed and die, then the killer vanishes. It was kinda creepy actually :D

Ikuu said:
Being able to cast HoW when AV up has to be one of the most OP things they've added.

Game's balanced for 85 or so I'm told. Just like we were told that at 70 that they were balanced for 80 :lol. Just live with the fact that right now Pallies can pop wings and then hammer your face for at least half of your HP before you know it most of the time.

J-Rzez said:
Just live with the fact that right now Pallies can pop wings and then hammer your face for at least half of your HP before you know it most of the time.
I did some AV on AV weekend just to see what had changed and I was doing alright considering I'm not geared for PvP at all.

Then I came across a paladin 1v1. I was at full health. He was on me, I threw an instant dot on him, I saw a flash of light, dead. As long as it took you to read that, that's how fast it happened.

joelseph

Loto said:
Just hit lvl 10 pally. Not sure what spec to choose for soloing, Retribution or Protection. Any suggestions?

I have a Pally twink at 48 currently working up. I started out RET but switched to PROT and don't regret it at all. If you are twinked Prot can kill stuff quick enough and get instant queues.

joelseph said:
I have a Pally twink at 48 currently working up. I started out RET but switched to PROT and don't regret it at all. If you are twinked Prot can kill stuff quick enough and get instant queues.
My pally is 45 and is ret. I have the heirloom Arcanite Reaper, Shoulders, Chest. The character is unkillable and basically 2 or 3 shots things up to 2 or 3 levels above. When I was 41 or so I fought about 6 42-45 ogres in STV at once and finished with full health and mana.

So, if you have the heirlooms, I'd go with Ret. Just because you don't need to worry about a shield. I haven't really worried about grouping because I think questing is better xp. But maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'll just pick up a one-hander heirloom and dual-spec tank.

joelseph

SnakeswithLasers said:
My pally is 45 and is ret. I have the heirloom Arcanite Reaper, Shoulders, Chest. The character is unkillable and basically 2 or 3 shots things up to 2 or 3 levels above. When I was 41 or so I fought about 6 42-45 ogres in STV at once and finished with full health and mana.

So, if you have the heirlooms, I'd go with Ret. Just because you don't need to worry about a shield. I haven't really worried about grouping because I think questing is better xp. But maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'll just pick up a one-hander heirloom and dual-spec tank.

The thing is you can 2 or 3 shot stuff as Prot too. Judge, Crusader Strike, Hammer of Wrath. Try it!

Aesthet1c

SnakeswithLasers said:

I think dungeoning is definitely better xp per min. It does however eat up your rest state much faster than questing. It works out nice when you lvl a dps and it takes 10-15 min to get into a dungeon. You can just quest while you wait for your dungeon, then go do the dungeon, then go straight back to where you left off on your quest. You get the best of both worlds really.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Confused101 said:
Of course, YMMV, but for straight bad guy killing, I'd take the advice already given and go with Demo at this point in time especially since you get the felguard at level freakin' 10 now. I had to wait until I was 50 to get that bastard. He's a lot of fun.

Edit: Actually the felguard was a 41 point talent so I could've got him at 50, but didn't try out the spec until 60.

The thing that's making me wonder is that I've read that both drain life AND felguard are quite shit now. As in, Felguard not dealing any proper damage etc.

joelseph said:
The thing is you can 2 or 3 shot stuff as Prot too. Judge, Crusader Strike, Hammer of Wrath. Try it!
I didn't even realize I had Hammer of Wrath yet. Been leveling too quickly I guess. Right now a fight is basically: From distance, cast exorcism, while enemy approaches, judge, when it gets to me, crusader strike, auto-attack, move on to next. Hammer of Wrath will be awesome, because a lot of fights I don't quite kill the thing and I have to wait forever for my next auto-attack to come out and overkill the mob.

What is the best Seal while leveling? I only have the three right now--Righteousness, the mana one, and the DoT one. I think Righteousness is probably the best, right?

TomServo

Osaka said:
The thing that's making me wonder is that I've read that both drain life AND felguard are quite shit now. As in, Felguard not dealing any proper damage etc.

My warlock has been 80 for years, so I'd ask at what level you get the spell that channels health and creates soul shards. Because I'd think with life tap and that spell you'd reduce your downtime, which was always the down side of leveling as destro.

Dunno, just trying to help out an aspiring warlock, but I haven't leveled a 'lock since Wrath launched and I'm not even sure if I'll main one in Cata.

Also, as for dungeon vs. questing... Is there an analysis where it's said what is "faster"?

I know it depends on the group obviously, but I've been pretty disappointed with the amount of XP I get in a dungeon unless I'm in rest state. Questing seems super fast now... Except for all the fucking running about. But with the +20% from my heirlooms, it does kind of breeze by. I have a feeling I'm going to be right past 60 once cataclysm hits. What a bummer. =P

KJTB

Well, I finally gave in and reactivated my account. I quit right around when Wrath came out so I'm going to get my 70's to 80 before Cataclysm comes out. I'm telling myself that I shall strictly be a casual pvp player and I'm going to try my best to keep it that way. When I played wow In vanilla/BC I was hardcore and basically had no social life :lol

I have a question regarding Alliance races for rogue pvp. My UD rogue is my main and always has been, since vanilla wow. When cataclysm comes out I'm going to be server transfering/faction changing him to alliance to play with some RL friends (one of the main reasons why I'm coming back to WoW). My question is this: What, in your opinion, is the best alliance race for rogue pvp? I realize that I should "Play what I like" and that certainly is important, but my main focus with this expansion is purely pvp. Right now I'm torn between Human and Dwarf. Dwarf, to me at least, seems like the superior pvp race because of stoneform and how prominent bleeds seem to be in the game. I would normally go human but it seems like their racial's got nerfed... I also prefer how humans look, though that is not as important.

Gonna be on Frostmane Alliance when Cataclysm hits, if any gaffers are on there hit me up :)

joelseph

I rotate 2-3 alts when dungeon xping to keep the rested buff up. Without it I don't think it beats straight questing unless you can grab and complete all the dungeon quests easily.

On the topic of leveling a lock. With the recent changes giving classes defining skills early def level with Destruction. Shard for instant soul fire, then immolate, incinerate, conflag. Huge burst potential, quick casts and instants. Fun procs, no downtime.

JesseZao

Dipindots said:
Right now I'm torn between Human and Dwarf.

I went with a female dorf. All because of stoneform (even though it also has been nerfed quite a bit) and partly because nobody else plays the ugliest combo in the game. Maybe with the new cata heirlooms I'll feel compelled to level out of redridge where she's been since vanilla (or just use LFG with rested xp).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
So if world changes aren't in 4.0.3, what is?
Nothing but a shitload of data, probably. :lol

Some minor, mostly irrelevant changes in talents, I would imagine, i.e. in Cataclysm, the nerf they put on Mages is undone since it was just a band-aid for people right now.

Tamanon

Banned
That's odd, I guess just the beta build spell changes?

They might just be holding all the world changes for the actual patch itself and not testing it. So as to keep people from flooding the PTR in search of new content.:lol

idlewild_

notworksafe said:
So if world changes aren't in 4.0.3, what is?

it has all the data for the world changes, but those are implemented with the shattering in 4.0.3a; so when they flip the switch and the shattering happens, you don't have to spend a couple hours downloading all the data for the new zones

notworksafe

idlewild_ said:
it has all the data for the world changes, but those are implemented with the shattering in 4.0.3a; so when they flip the switch and the shattering happens, you don't have to spend a couple hours downloading all the data for the new zones
So...nothing.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
TomServo said:
My warlock has been 80 for years, so I'd ask at what level you get the spell that channels health and creates soul shards. Because I'd think with life tap and that spell you'd reduce your downtime, which was always the down side of leveling as destro.

Dunno, just trying to help out an aspiring warlock, but I haven't leveled a 'lock since Wrath launched and I'm not even sure if I'll main one in Cata.

You mean Soul Harvest?

I don't think it requires you to spec any specific spec, as it's just a lvl 12 skill now. But you're right, seems like a very useful downtime reducing skill.

Thanks anyway! :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dipindots said:
Well, I finally gave in and reactivated my account. I quit right around when Wrath came out so I'm going to get my 70's to 80 before Cataclysm comes out. I'm telling myself that I shall strictly be a casual pvp player and I'm going to try my best to keep it that way. When I played wow In vanilla/BC I was hardcore and basically had no social life :lol

I have a question regarding Alliance races for rogue pvp. My UD rogue is my main and always has been, since vanilla wow. When cataclysm comes out I'm going to be server transfering/faction changing him to alliance to play with some RL friends (one of the main reasons why I'm coming back to WoW). My question is this: What, in your opinion, is the best alliance race for rogue pvp? I realize that I should "Play what I like" and that certainly is important, but my main focus with this expansion is purely pvp. Right now I'm torn between Human and Dwarf. Dwarf, to me at least, seems like the superior pvp race because of stoneform and how prominent bleeds seem to be in the game. I would normally go human but it seems like their racial's got nerfed... I also prefer how humans look, though that is not as important.

Gonna be on Frostmane Alliance when Cataclysm hits, if any gaffers are on there hit me up :)
The choice of race is mostly irrelevant.

I don't know that bleed damage is any more important than any other type of damage though. You get out of having to equip a trinket with Humans though.

Basically:

Gnomes: Get out of immobilizes + free expertise on daggers
Humans: Free trinket + free expertise that only matters if you are Combat
Dwarves: Free bleed/poison removal + free expertise that only matters if you are combat
Nelves: Extra movement speed in stealth
Worgen: Free sprint

It's all kind of the same shit, imo.

Angry Grimace

idlewild_ said:
If all the data for new zones and world changes is in 4.0.3 instead of 4.0.1, what was the purpose of 4.0.1 and why was it 15 fucking gigs?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Angry Grimace said:
The choice of race is mostly irrelevant.

I don't know that bleed damage is any more important than any other type of damage though. You get out of having to equip a trinket with Humans though.

Basically:

Gnomes: Get out of immobilizes + free expertise on daggers
Humans: Free trinket + free expertise that only matters if you are Combat
Dwarves: Free bleed/poison removal + free expertise that only matters if you are combat
Nelves: Extra movement speed in stealth
Worgen: Free sprint

It's all kind of the same shit, imo.

What he meant was that bleeds are all over the place in WoW, and they're especially harmful for rogues because they prevent you from re-stealthing.

I think.

4.0.3 just has class changes and the Deathwing event. 4.0.3a will enable the new shattered Azeroth along with the start of that Deathwing event before Cataclysm comes out.

Osaka said:
Drain life I can attest to. It is shit now.

I can't comment on how Felguard damage is while leveling though. All I know is that at 80 with some mastery points, he hits quite hard and has one of the best AoEs I've ever seen*. He has no taunt now though. The tank pet is supposed to be the voidwalker but people are complaining that his taunt sucks. I agree with them too, it does suck.

* On dailies that require me to kill a certain number of things, I try to gather as many as I can by tab dotting and then I hit felstorm and watch everything drop. I think my record is 10 at one time.

And I just found out you don't get felstorm until 45. That will most likely be when demo gets very enjoyable. Until then, I'm really not sure which direction to go for leveling.

What class would you say is the most "fun" at earlier levels--meaning, a lot to press. My girlfriend is willing to try the game when cataclysm comes out, and I need to get something that isn't just auto-attack, wait for mob to die.

I was thinking warrior might actually be a good starter class. Charge is really fun, and isn't there a button to press for baby warriors now to actually spend rage?

Paladin is a bit boring in my opinion... A lot of auto-attack and waiting for cooldowns (at least in the low levels). Maybe rogue? Stealth is fun...constantly pressing mutilate, counting up points for finishers... Hmm...

Anybody have any tips on classes they've successfully gotten people into the game with?

SnakeswithLasers said:
What class would you say is the most "fun" at earlier levels--meaning, a lot to press. My girlfriend is willing to try the game when cataclysm comes out, and I need to get something that isn't just auto-attack, wait for mob to die.

I was thinking warrior might actually be a good starter class. Charge is really fun, and isn't there a button to press for baby warriors now to actually spend rage?

Paladin is a bit boring in my opinion... A lot of auto-attack and waiting for cooldowns (at least in the low levels). Maybe rogue? Stealth is fun...constantly pressing mutilate, counting up points for finishers... Hmm...

Anybody have any tips on classes they've successfully gotten people into the game with?
If she's a hunter she can have a pet...

Soroc

SnakeswithLasers said:
Also, as for dungeon vs. questing... Is there an analysis where it's said what is "faster"?

I know it depends on the group obviously, but I've been pretty disappointed with the amount of XP I get in a dungeon unless I'm in rest state. Questing seems super fast now... Except for all the fucking running about. But with the +20% from my heirlooms, it does kind of breeze by. I have a feeling I'm going to be right past 60 once cataclysm hits. What a bummer. =P

I haven't quested since I hit 15 when the LFG opened up. I'm a priest however so it doesn't take me long to get groups but basically in my 20's this week I've run 1-2 dungeons per night and have gained 1- 2 levels each night. Dungeon runs take usually 20-30 mins to complete.

I don't know how long questing takes, but this week I went from 20-30 only logging 1.5 - 2 hours a night.

Its pretty ridiculous right now cuz I've never left Exodar yet :lol

Rapstah

Shit guys, this guy is on to something:

conspirazylihi.png

- only on Ragnaros EU -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom