• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Sniper McBlaze said:
I wanna see what the patch brought, but I don't feel like paying for some gametime. Is it possible to somehow get maybe a trial?
If you PM me your battle.net email or character name and server I'll toss you a Resurrection Scroll. That is 10 days of free gametime.

@SnakeswithLasers Another idea is to let your GF just make some classes on your account to try them out for a few levels.

KJTB

Osaka said:
What he meant was that bleeds are all over the place in WoW, and they're especially harmful for rogues because they prevent you from re-stealthing.

I think.

Yep. I've read that feral druids bleeds are insane right now. Diseases from DK's would be dispelled, and against other rogues stoneform is pretty sweet.

I just don't know if i want to look at a dwarf character for the rest of my wow days haha

HarryDemeanor said:
I believe if you turn on your launcher it'll start downloading the expansion in the background.

Weird, it never showed up when I logged in but according to Battle.net I'm good to go for 12/7

I guess there wouldn't be much to download anyway. Maybe it's all coming in the 4.0.3a patch anyway

notworksafe said:
If you PM me your battle.net email or character name and server I'll toss you a Resurrection Scroll. That is 10 days of free gametime.

@SnakeswithLasers Another idea is to let your GF just make some classes on your account to try them out for a few levels.

Damn, just read the FAQ and it seems that it must've been 90 day since I quit WoW and I think it's only like 60 for me...

JesseZao

Sniper McBlaze said:
Damn, just read the FAQ and it seems that it must've been 90 day since I quit WoW and I think it's only like 60 for me...

You can always try downloading the PTR and playing on that. I did that for 4.0 while my account had been inactive for a few months and it let me download and play.

FLEABttn

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Weird, it never showed up when I logged in but according to Battle.net I'm good to go for 12/7

I guess there wouldn't be much to download anyway. Maybe it's all coming in the 4.0.3a patch anyway

There's a way to force it down but it's only like 600 megs or so. Basically you open up your two WTF files and change the client type from "LK" to "CT". You save those and open up the launcher and it'll start the download.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I was up to date to current live version, and only when I reactivated my account and logged in on the game client once, next time I opened the launcher it downloaded 4 gigs more. I assume that was all of the Cataclysm data.

Now, my fresh WoW installation that's "account type CT" is around 23,4 gigs, without any addons or screenshots or anything extra in the folder.

Dipindots said:
Yep. I've read that feral druids bleeds are insane right now. Diseases from DK's would be dispelled, and against other rogues stoneform is pretty sweet.

I just don't know if i want to look at a dwarf character for the rest of my wow days haha

Priority when choosing a race:

1. LOOKS
2. Anything else

notworksafe

Finally! Moonkin Form is the best Form! Also, my name finally makes sense. :D

Also for funsies...ugly ass Cow Form. :lol

Playing on my laptop atm, so excuse the ugly graphics.

Osaka said:
Priority when choosing a race:

1. LOOKS
2. Anything else
I have to agree with this. You're going to be looking at that character A LOT. And when I say A LOT, I mean almost constantly. Unless you play in first person, but who does that anymore?

I didn't abide by this rule originally though. All I knew is that I wanted to be a warlock. That narrowed down my choice of races and I picked from those available. I didn't want to be an ugly race so that knocked out both Orcs and Forsaken. I could've been a BE lock but I didn't like the way armor looked on the male or female versions. Over to the Alliance I went. I knew I didn't want to be short so that knocked out Gnomes. The only thing left was Humans. The male models just seemed too bulky for a caster so I went female. She was thicker than the BE female but smaller than the BE male. Just barely, haha. Armor looked good on her. I could see the details of robes and things but I didn't have annoying huge shoulder pads.

I was quite content with the human female model then but now she's getting a little outdated. I'm really hoping they do some work on the old world races. That would make me enjoy my lock that much more.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Confused101 said:
I have to agree with this. You're going to be looking at that character A LOT. And when I say A LOT, I mean almost constantly. Unless you play in first person, but who does that anymore?

I didn't abide by this rule originally though. All I knew is that I wanted to be a warlock. That narrowed down my choice of races and I picked from those available. I didn't want to be an ugly race so that knocked out both Orcs and Forsaken. I could've been a BE lock but I didn't like the way armor looked on the male or female versions. Over to the Alliance I went. I knew I didn't want to be short so that knocked out Gnomes. The only thing left was Humans. The male models just seemed too bulky for a caster so I went female. She was thicker than the BE female but smaller than the BE male. Just barely, haha. Armor looked good on her. I could see the details of robes and things but I didn't have annoying huge shoulder pads.

I was quite content with the human female model then but now she's getting a little outdated. I'm really hoping they do some work on the old world races. That would make me enjoy my lock that much more.

I think tauren, undead and troll male are the best models on horde from non-cataclysm races. Undead males have really cool animations, and trolls and taurens are just badass.

However, I like how goblins are like a badass version of the gnome :lol Badassery and comedy in one package. Goblin male Warlock, it is!

Retro

notworksafe said:
Finally! Moonkin Form is the best Form! Also, my name finally makes sense. :D

My girlfriend wanted to roll a cow and name her PatBenatauren, but it's too long. She was going to queue up for PVP and shout "Love is a battleground" through the match. I'm glad she didn't.

Also, since I see it being discussed above, let me throw another vote in for Looks > Racials. I can't roll Undead Warriors or DKs because heavy armor with exposed joints looks silly. I almost wish they gave us the option to turn that off (like they're forced to do in China).

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Retro said:
Also, since I see it being discussed above, let me throw another vote in for Looks > Racials. I can't roll Undead Warriors or DKs because heavy armor with exposed joints looks silly. I almost wish they gave us the option to turn that off (like they're forced to do in China).

Maybe you'll get your wish once they come around to update all the other races' models to the same level as goblins and worgen are. :D

KJTB

Yeah ok I'm convinced that I'd get annoyed of looking at a dwarf for the rest of the game (sorry to you dwarf lovers out there :lol ) and I'm making him human.

Thanks for the input :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dipindots said:
Yeah ok I'm convinced that I'd get annoyed of looking at a dwarf for the rest of the game (sorry to you dwarf lovers out there :lol ) and I'm making him human.

Try their running animation first.

Soroc

Dipindots said:

DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT MAKE A MALE HUMAN

Trust me on this, after a while the running animation will gnaw at your very being. You will want to rip that fucker out of your computer monitor and break his fucking legs for his stupid ass run animation!!

I can't play my ally human anymore b/c I just can't fucking stand how stupid there running animation is, it drives me insane, always look like they have a stick up their ass! :lol

edit: damnit!! Beat by Lyphen :D

KJTB

Did they change the running animation or something?

I had a lvl 70 human warlock alt and the running animation never bothered me. I refuse to roll female characters, just a personal preference thing.

Soroc

Dipindots said:
Did they change the running animation or something?

I had a lvl 70 human warlock alt and the running animation never bothered me. I refuse to roll female characters, just a personal preference thing.

No they never changed it. Its one thing I want them to change, but if it doesn't bother you by all means enjoy yourself! I just rage about it cuz its my original character from vanilla wow and I'd love to play him again I just can't stand the running :D

Retro

Osaka said:
Maybe you'll get your wish once they come around to update all the other races' models to the same level as goblins and worgen are. :D

I'd actually like to see them add new cosmetic options for all of the races when they get around to updating the visuals. I think it's probably too much to ask for Mag'har (brown skinned) orcs, Taunka tauren, Forest Trolls (they're more muscly, less lanky) and less bony undead, but those all sound like really appropriate options.

Lyphen said:
Try their running animation first.

Human males run like they're wearing a diaper full of shit. The Females are slightly better, but not by much.

Seriously, all of the old races need updated models and animation, they were pretty sub-par 5 years ago. As for Alliance cosmetic options, Dwarves could get different clan skins, gnomes could have clockwork versions (because that's just badass), Humans could have a 'beefy' and a 'lanky' version (so when you make a caster class, they don't look like He-Man in a dress, they need a sneaky/wizened model, crouched over and such), Night Elves... I don't follow their lore closely enough, maybe give them Dryad-look without the deer parts.

What's the best quest add-on? I know blizzard's is ok, and that anything now will be outdated in a month, however, I'd like to streamline through 45-80 on my pally and don't know of the best mod that says, "ok, go here, get this quest, now do them in this order..." I used to use one way back when, but I can't remember what it was.

notworksafe

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Retro said:
I'd actually like to see them add new cosmetic options for all of the races when they get around to updating the visuals. I think it's probably too much to ask for Mag'har (brown skinned) orcs, Taunka tauren, Forest Trolls (they're more muscly, less lanky) and less bony undead, but those all sound like really appropriate options.

Seriously, all of the old races need updated models and animation, they were pretty sub-par 5 years ago. As for Alliance cosmetic options, Dwarves could get different clan skins, gnomes could have clockwork versions (because that's just badass), Humans could have a 'beefy' and a 'lanky' version (so when you make a caster class, they don't look like He-Man in a dress, they need a sneaky/wizened model, crouched over and such), Night Elves... I don't follow their lore closely enough, maybe give them Dryad-look without the deer parts.

I dunno about the others but I dont think forest trolls would fit lore-wise as they're savages.

Tamanon

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
What class would you say is the most "fun" at earlier levels--meaning, a lot to press. My girlfriend is willing to try the game when cataclysm comes out, and I need to get something that isn't just auto-attack, wait for mob to die.

I was thinking warrior might actually be a good starter class. Charge is really fun, and isn't there a button to press for baby warriors now to actually spend rage?

Paladin is a bit boring in my opinion... A lot of auto-attack and waiting for cooldowns (at least in the low levels). Maybe rogue? Stealth is fun...constantly pressing mutilate, counting up points for finishers... Hmm...

Anybody have any tips on classes they've successfully gotten people into the game with?

Druid, easy, especially now that Cat is at level 8. It's pretty much one of the best intro classes since it really can be anything. Ranged/Melee DPS, Tank, Healer.

notworksafe

Going into Druid and expecting to press more than one or two buttons isn't really realistic. Feral just Mangle spams from 10-80, and my two Moonkin DoTs are all I need so far.

KJTB

Oh god, I'm already getting addicted and I've been back for less than a day :lol

Besides going to the gym, I've literally sat at my computer playing WoW all day >_>

Infinity

Looking to spec prot. with my 73 paladin and do the dungeon + quest thing for good exp and loot potential. Right now I'm retribution but really don't need another level 80 dps char. I have a 80 DK for dps.

Seems protection spec can go quickly too based on what I've read in this thread.

Oh and no HH mount yet. Things are looking grim.

Osaka said:
I agree, both male and female humans have sticks up their asses.

Make a gnome!
Two of my three 80's are gnomes. And while I like them, they look absolutely retarded when they walk, worse than the human run animation imo.:lol

I just watched Paragon's videos on Youtube of Nef, Cho'gall, and Al'Akir. I'm pretty impressed, they look like very epic fights and cool design to boot. Hope Blizz can keep this up for raid dungeon end-bosses. (And we haven't even seen Sinestra yet!)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
On a scale from 1-10, how mean is it to tell people they can only rename their Water Elementals if they do the Shifting Sands questline?

And real bros roll Female Blood Elves. Everyone knows that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
On a scale from 1-10, how mean is it to tell people they can only rename their Water Elementals if they do the Shifting Sands questline?

And real bros roll Female Blood Elves. Everyone knows that.

I told a frost mage in a pug 5 man how to rename his elemental pet.

He gave him the same name as my character. :lol

Maybe i should have told him you can only do it once, i bet he'll regret it.

At least, i'll know someone, somewhere, has a water elemental with my name. :D

J-Rzez

All this arguing over who has the worst animations can just be summed up as: Alliance characters look/animate goofy. Sure, all the vanilla classes need to be looked at, but I'll be damned if the Alliance as a whole, including the drannies, need a lot of love. Worgen look "alright" so I'm guessing you'll see a rather large shift in race populations, not to mention that Worgen have the best racials in the game.

But I'll never know, because I refuse to play any form of ally. It's bad enough when I do a quest for a human I have to hear "for the alliance" in that boring voice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
All this arguing over who has the worst animations can just be summed up as: Alliance characters look/animate goofy. Sure, all the vanilla classes need to be looked at, but I'll be damned if the Alliance as a whole, including the drannies, need a lot of love. Worgen look "alright" so I'm guessing you'll see a rather large shift in race populations, not to mention that Worgen have the best racials in the game.

But I'll never know, because I refuse to play any form of ally. It's bad enough when I do a quest for a human I have to hear "for the alliance" in that boring voice.
Most servers are overwhelmingly Alliance and overwhelmingly Human at that.

Angry Grimace

Flib said:
I really don't like this tanking homogenization.
I don't get how someone could not like it.

If it's not homogeneous, it means by negative implication that X tank is going to be better than Y tank by design, which means nobody will want Y tank.

I don't even get what it means anyways.

Alex

I like Gnome, Draenei, Undead, Goblin. That's about all I'll make nowadays. I'm pretty boring.

Don't like Elves much. I always like the art they make for Night Elves though.

Don't like animal-type characters.

Might like Trolls if they weren't so insanely underdeveloped in terms of modeling. They were half assed out of the gate back in 2004.

Same with Dwarves.

Orcs are nice, but I tend to make female characters and the female Orc suffers from Troll syndrome and has a horrendous voice.

Like the female Human but agree with the animation issues. Especially for a caster. I think Undead have the best animations bar none.

There's really no excuse for them not redoing the races. Really, I realize they work hard and they do catch a lot of stupid shit from an ignorant fan base, but with the money and artists they have on hand; redo the fucking original 8 races.

Honestly, I don't remember having to hear the "for the alliance!" line that often. Though it could be because I've played alliance for so long that I don't even notice it anymore. I absolutlely love gnomes, ever since vanilla wow and seeing gnome warriors decked out in plate. There is something fun about being tiny (no sexual joke intended). People always knock gnomes for being ugly, but the majority of the races all have some visual defect or blemish. Horde just get away with it because they're supposed to be ugly (excluding blood elfs).

Changing subjects, yesterday I managed to solo AQ20 and Zul'Gurub on my warlock. Got the classic raider achievement finally, even though I cleared both multiple times before Burning Crusades came out. I'd never tried to solo them before, but after finding videos of other locks doing it, I figured I would try too. Hooray! :D I finished the classic dungeonmaster achievement as well. Snuck into Orgrimmar (which was practically empty) to do Ragefire Chasm, and finally did Shadowfang Keep. Shadowfang Keep is awesome, as far as the look and layout. I had never been there before.

Alex said:
Might like Trolls if they weren't so insanely underdeveloped in terms of modeling. They were half assed out of the gate back in 2004.
I think male trolls look freakin awesome. I have a troll hunter that I tinker with every so often on Icecrown, simply because it's the one server that always seems to be up when others are down.

Alex

For the main affair kind of deal, the current Alliance has really boring story and characters, Horde's is way, way better, but I do like Varian, even if most people don't.

Though for Cata all of the batshit crazy individual zone shit is way more interesting than the main plotting anyway (and that's, to me, how it should be in a game like this)

Angry Grimace

Interested in rolling a few Horde characters, primarily a hunter and a shaman. Any GAFers on a Horde server? I've never actually rolled a Horde, so interested if anyone's on a server that doesn't mind a casual (since I have like 6 hardcore characters that are Alli and fuck the 50 bucks it would take to turn one Horde and faction xfer it.)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Question for anyone who bought cataclysm already - how big is the download for the cataclysm data?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Deputy Moonman said:
Honestly, I don't remember having to hear the "for the alliance!" line that often. Though it could be because I've played alliance for so long that I don't even notice it anymore. I absolutlely love gnomes, ever since vanilla wow and seeing gnome warriors decked out in plate. There is something fun about being tiny (no sexual joke intended). People always knock gnomes for being ugly, but the majority of the races all have some visual defect or blemish. Horde just get away with it because they're supposed to be ugly (excluding blood elfs).

Changing subjects, yesterday I managed to solo AQ20 and Zul'Gurub on my warlock. Got the classic raider achievement finally, even though I cleared both multiple times before Burning Crusades came out. I'd never tried to solo them before, but after finding videos of other locks doing it, I figured I would try too. Hooray! :D I finished the classic dungeonmaster achievement as well. Snuck into Orgrimmar (which was practically empty) to do Ragefire Chasm, and finally did Shadowfang Keep. Shadowfang Keep is awesome, as far as the look and layout. I had never been there before.

I think male trolls look freakin awesome. I have a troll hunter that I tinker with every so often on Icecrown, simply because it's the one server that always seems to be up when others are down.

Probably because it's "Grab your sword and fight the horde", where the Horde's is "For the Horde!". Alliance players just kinda stole it...

Really trying to find some way of keeping busy in the game aside from just levelling my DK.

Also my main is a Human Warlock, i don't see what's wrong with the run animation. If anything it looks like the gnomes just shat themselves.

Also can't decide if i want the digital pre order or the box... i can save money, and the box can go alongside the other 3, i like boxes.
Plus i'll probably get the box on the 6th in time for a preload, i have University all day Tuedays anyway so i won't get much out of having it right on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom