• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthet1c

Confused101 said:
I think a better term would be immersion breaking. Or just plain inconvenient depending on how you look at it.

When I did the Wrathgate quest line, I had no idea it was coming. All of a sudden, I'm watching this awesome cutscene with all this awesome shit happening. Then I come back to the ground burning and Alexstrasza standing at the gate's steps like a boss.

If that experience were replaced with "Cinematic Missing" or whatever it says, the impact of it happening right then and there would have been completely lost. The zone would change and I'd be asking myself why the ground was on fire and why Alexstrasza was there in dragon form. It's about a cohesive experience more than anything else.

That's definitely explained better than I put it. Maybe I was being a bit dramatic with "game breaking", but it still hurts my game playing experience.

A month or two ago my guild that I created with a group of friends just downed the Lich King for the first time ever (none of us had Kingslayer). This was a huge accomplishment for us, and watching the cinematic after killing the king just made the whole experience all the more epic. That entire experience, including the one Confused101 mentioned is severely diminished if I'm instead presented with a "sorry, but since you bought this digitally, you can't watch this" dialog box.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
notworksafe said:
Seems even Blizzard doesn't know what's up.

US Blue:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27189094900&sid=1&pageNo=1#19

EU Blue:

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=15042105895&sid=1&pageNo=2#23

My guess is that the EU guy is right. It'd be silly not to include cinematics in the download. They only add up to like 1GB max total, I'm sure.

Some people say that the EU post is a reply to the downloader actually deleting the cinematics if they exist in the folder already. That's probably the bug that he's saying to be fixed.

So can I get a refund if they do not add the cinematics? Because I rather just get a hard copy if it has everything when the digital is half assed.

And if its a bandwidth issue cry me a river bliz, you make millions a month.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Refund?

I literally would consider a class action lawsuit against Activision if they failed to include the cut-scenes because there's no express warning the game they are delivering (and demanding payment for) is materially altered from the boxed copy of the game.

I [edit: actually] know an attorney who does that kind of law in Los Angeles.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
GhostRidah said:
So can I get a refund if they do not add the cinematics? Because I rather just get a hard copy if it has everything when the digital is half assed.

And if its a bandwidth issue cry me a river bliz, you make millions a month.

It's not a bandwidth issue, they use bittorrent. It's just to make the game faster to download so people get to play faster. :/

Angry Grimace said:
Refund?

I literally would consider a class action lawsuit against Activision if they failed to include the cut-scenes because there's no express warning the game they are delivering (and demanding payment for) is materially altered from the boxed copy of the game.

I literally know an attorney who does that kind of law in Los Angeles.

I literally hope there's no need for this :/

Cyrillus

Not to rain on everyone's parade even more, but to those saying "how many cinematics are even in the game?" from my experience in the beta, I've seen at least 3 while leveling from 80-83. Cataclysm definitely adds quite a few in-game cinematics for even small quests.

Having said that, I'd assume that they'll fix the digital version to include the cinematics, just be sure to let them know that they aren't working!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Osaka said:
It's not a bandwidth issue, they use bittorrent. It's just to make the game faster to download so people get to play faster. :/

I literally hope there's no need for this :/
Heh, I did use literally twice. But it's because I meant it. Literally :lol

But seriously, just emphasizing I'm not joking, it's actually false and misleading advertising that's inherently unfair to the consumer to delete portions of the game from a version that's advertised as simply being a different delivery term of the same game.

I sincerely doubt they are going to go through with deleting the cutscenes in the final DD product, however.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
If they choose to not include them, I'll just download them somewhere as I've paid for the full game, not some barebones-shit.

Angry Grimace

Osaka said:
If they choose to not include them, I'll just download them somewhere as I've paid for the full game, not some barebones-shit.
I think the chance of them actually going through with not including a part of the game in the digital version after soliciting payment is somewhere close to zero. As I've said, that's an attorney's dream.

The only Blizzreps even talking about it are obviously just CS's that have no clue. Let's not forget that Blizzard has been trying to prevent cutscene datamining recently, and this whole thing might have something to do with their efforts to prevent certain things from being datamined.

notworksafe

Just wondering, are they maybe not including the cinematics now to stop people from breaking into them and checking stuff out early? I know they are usually encrypted and such, but over a month is a long enough time for savvy hacker types to break the encryption and post the vids online. It would make sense with the WotLK/BC vids also not being downloaded. Some jerk at Blizz didn't specify "Cata vids only" in the code, so all the vids were withheld.

lol beaten by Grimace.

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Just wondering, are they maybe not including the cinematics now to stop people from breaking into them and checking stuff out early? I know they are usually encrypted and such, but over a month is a long enough time for savvy hacker types to break the encryption and post the vids online. It would make sense with the WotLK/BC vids also not being downloaded. Some jerk at Blizz didn't specify "Cata vids only" in the code, so all the vids were withheld.

lol beaten by Grimace.
The reason why this is probably the answer is because there's no benefit on Blizzard's part by omitting them given that they supply their clients via bittorrent clients.

I wish they would use regular BT torrents though. My BT client routinely does speeds like 10x what the one Blizzard uses does for whatever reason.

Won

The cinematics never worked for me on my english language pack download that I installed on top of the german install. I think the official comment was "they are looking into it" or something like that.

Wouldn't be surprised that they never bothered fixing it and now have the same issue with the Cataclysm downloads.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Angry Grimace said:
The reason why this is probably the answer is because there's no benefit on Blizzard's part by omitting them given that they supply their clients via bittorrent clients.

I wish they would use regular BT torrents though. My BT client routinely does speeds like 10x what the one Blizzard uses does for whatever reason.

My problem is that I can't limit the upload at all on the blizzard downloader, and if I use the peer-to-peer transfer, it jams up my whole internet cos I only have 100kb/s upload.

The pre-download for cata worked fairly fast without p2p, though, like 1,5mb/s constantly.

notworksafe

Mine runs poorly as well. I honestly think it's Comcast though. I've set all my ports and such correctly but I still can't get above 550ish kb/s.

Meanwhile people in my guild that use Cox, AT&T, and other ISPs have no issue and get amazing speeds.

Flib

While I bet the opening cutscenes will be included, there's no way the in-game ones won't be. There are tons of them now throughout the whole game (from 1-85).

Will there be some quests that are impossible to complete because of the changes to NPCs and quest lines?

And by that I mean pre-Cata quests into Cataclysm.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Can anyone tell me what UI pack that is in the picture? Or well, if there even is any package.

I've seen very similar UI's in a bunch of videos as well.

elemental3_1.jpg

krypt0nian said:
Will there be some quests that are impossible to complete because of the changes to NPCs and quest lines?

And by that I mean pre-Cata quests into Cataclysm.

Umm, I'm pretty sure a lot of quests are being taken out of the game in effected zones.

Also it's really cool seeing so many people running around Orgrimmar to do the first quests. I just wish there was a little more to it.

Rapstah

:lol at the thousands of "infiltrators" spreading the word of the Twilight's Hammer while there are like four authentical agents.

notworksafe

Osaka said:
Can anyone tell me what UI pack that is in the picture? Or well, if there even is any package.

I've seen very similar UI's in a bunch of videos as well.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2010/october/elemental3_1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Looks like TukUI to me. [url]http://www.tukui.org/v2/tukui/[/url]

I want a UI addon that will simply put health/mana bars over enemies and/or players that I can pop on and off with the ALT key.

Basically I want something that functions exactly like the ALT key in Warcraft III or StarCraft II.

HealthBarsOn.jpg

Rapstah

I think I just single-handedly wiped a Horde raid on Ironforge by three-shotting all the tanks. I guess no one had any resilience on... or is this how PVP damage is for warlocks nowadays?!

So, Cataclysm events have begun. It's pretty crowded in Stormwind O.O One of the scrolls I need for the Cataclysm quest is buried under that pile of PC's, sigh.

oje5vq.jpg

Evlar

Banned
Rapstah said:
I think I just single-handedly wiped a Horde raid on Ironforge by three-shotting all the tanks. I guess no one had any resilience on... or is this how PVP damage is for warlocks nowadays?!
Probably no resil. Locks are benefiting from PvP caster-rama but not to the extent of, say, arcane mages.

Evlar said:
Probably no resil. Locks are benefiting from PvP caster-rama but not to the extent of, say, arcane mages.
I never do PVP but I'm an arcane mage and thinking about jumping in...what exactly are you talking about here?

GasProblem said:
So, Cataclysm events have begun. It's pretty crowded in Stormwind O.O One of the scrolls I need for the Cataclysm quest is buried under that pile of PC's, sigh.

http://i52.tinypic.com/oje5vq.jpg
Wow why is it so damn crowded? Do I just play on a barren server?

Angry Grimace

The Lamonster said:
I never do PVP but I'm an arcane mage and thinking about jumping in...what exactly are you talking about here?
Arcane Blast crits for 10 billion and kills you in like 1-2 globals.

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Resilience used to have three effects:

1) It reduced all enemy player damage by a certain percentage per point.
2) In addition to the above, it reduced critical effect damage from enemy player attacks by a different percentage per point.
3) It reduced the chance to receive critical hits from enemy player attacks.

With 4.0.1 they removed the second and third effects, i.e. resilience only reduces player damage by a flat rate. This means crit-heavy builds are MUCH more effective in PvP. By general consensus Arcane Blast is the most outrageous, but other crit-heavy builds can crank out the pain too. I'm running with decent resilience on my Priest- about 1250- and I've been hit by a nearly 30k Arcane Blast crit. That's including my 6% spell damage reduction on top of the resil. Close to a one-hit kill.

J-Rzez

Rapstah said:

They would be wearing PVE gear which obviously doesn't have resiliency on it, and secondly, it doesn't matter if you have shit-gear, just so you're a caster right now and you can wreck people in PVP even if they have Resi gear on because it's a completely broken mess right now, and at 85.

Blizzard said:
This may change in the future(no promises, heh) however for right now they are not part of the digital download.

Go ahead, someone tell me I'm wrong saying that this company isn't full of itself anymore, especially when it comes to this game. Who says that shit? Leaving out content for DD people which you cut out the middle-men (brick/mortar stores), and bit-torrent the shit out of everything anyways? This company got this way because people won't voice a negative opinion of this company, and they kept pushing it further and further. If people speak up, things will change, just like that Real-ID debacle... though I suspect they were getting into lawsuit territory, and they experienced a significant drop in subscriptions as well there with that Real ID non-sense.

Evlar said:
Resilience used to have three effects:

1) It reduced all enemy player damage by a certain percentage per point.
2) In addition to the above, it reduced critical effect damage from enemy player attacks by a different percentage per point.
3) It reduced the chance to receive critical hits from enemy player attacks.

With 4.0.1 they removed the second and third effects, i.e. resilience only reduces player damage by a flat rate. This means crit-heavy builds are MUCH more effective in PvP. By general consensus Arcane Blast is the most outrageous, but other crit-heavy builds can crank out the pain too. I'm running with decent resilience on my Priest- about 1250- and I've been hit by a nearly 30k Arcane Blast crit. That's including my 6% spell damage reduction on top of the resil. Close to a one-hit kill.
I had no idea that stat even exists but that explains why people differentiate between PVP and PVE gear! I finally get it now!

Angry Grimace

The Lamonster said:
That is awesome, thanks. I guess when I jump into PVP it's Arcane Blast over and over!
If you have a ton of mastery, it only gets worse.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
They would be wearing PVE gear which obviously doesn't have resiliency on it, and secondly, it doesn't matter if you have shit-gear, just so you're a caster right now and you can wreck people in PVP even if they have Resi gear on because it's a completely broken mess right now, and at 85.

Go ahead, someone tell me I'm wrong saying that this company isn't full of itself anymore, especially when it comes to this game. Who says that shit? Leaving out content for DD people which you cut out the middle-men (brick/mortar stores), and bit-torrent the shit out of everything anyways? This company got this way because people won't voice a negative opinion of this company, and they kept pushing it further and further. If people speak up, things will change, just like that Real-ID debacle... though I suspect they were getting into lawsuit territory, and they experienced a significant drop in subscriptions as well there with that Real ID non-sense.
There's no way they are going to launch Cataclysm with the Direct Download option being materially different than the CD version.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
The Lamonster said:
I'm a level 26 right now, but I'll keep that in mind. Actually by the time I hit 80, Blizz might have ironed things out.

The game's balanced for lvl 85 already, so nope :lol

J-Rzez

Osaka said:
The game's balanced for lvl 100 already, so nope :lol

There, fixed that up for you.

And I wouldn't doubt that they don't have those old cinematics in the game even when Cata launches Grimace. Maybe if all the blizztards wish really-really hard, and defends everything else they do they'll put the content and lore back into the game for them.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
There, fixed that up for you.

And I wouldn't doubt that they don't have those old cinematics in the game even when Cata launches Grimace. Maybe if all the blizztards wish really-really hard, and defends everything else they do they'll put the content and lore back into the game for them.
You are such a negative nancy.

Rokam

People camping for rift spawns. Many more people in the air behind me. The npcs in Stormwind on Proudmoore are completely covered like the picture above.

dzynoo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom