• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
oh wow many thanks Alex! Mounts at level 20? that is awesome!

Yeah it took me a while to find the autorun.. as I play on a laptop so there is no numlock key :lol had to set it to ~

and that fixed it! TY Narag, i also see there that I can right click on my pets spells so that he autocasts them I assume? thats pretty nifty and good to know!

Rapstah said:
Two-manned Flame Leviathan, was great fun. Will do every week from now with varying degrees of hard modes enabled.

http://i52.tinypic.com/9aqzbl.png[IMG]

EDIT: Sorry for the odd resolution, cropped it the wrong way, will change/remove if anyone's bothered.[/QUOTE]
Awesome! Of all the things I never thought I'd be doing with my lock... soloing old content. Went into Kara and killed nightbane today. Was really cool just being there by myself and not dying. Got through the Wizard of Oz group and decided to wait before trying the Curator. Just having fun doing random stuff right now before the expansion.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
i was having fun on warrior until the 30-40 bracket. 1 stance for charge, 1 for disarm, one for multiple targets is annoying to switch through.

Rokam

Deputy Moonman said:
Awesome! Of all the things I never thought I'd be doing with my lock... soloing old content. Went into Kara and killed nightbane today. Was really cool just being there by myself and not dying. Got through the Wizard of Oz group and decided to wait before trying the Curator. Just having fun doing random stuff right now before the expansion.

Decided to do Kara today too, kill everything but Prince and the optional bosses (minus shade). Prince was a giant pain in the ass, could consistently get him to 20% but the damage increase debuff owned me quickly.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
why? they can solo god.

Dina

Syth_Blade22 said:
reloadui does nothing, /reload reloads however.. and theres still no toolbar.

It wouldn't bother me too much, as I'm not at the level where I'm multi tasking my pet and my own spells... but :lol :lol I had my pet set to aggressive before it dissapeared.. so lets just say Grack is getting me into lots of trouble

If all else fails, I think removing the contents of the WTF folder also resets a lot of user preferences. It should pop up in the blizzard ui then next time you log.

You can also try repair.exe

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I thought they changed it ages ago so you could enter raids without being in a raid group? It wouldn't let me into AQ (either of them).

You still need to be in a raid group, that hasnt changed.

The other raid members dont have to be online though. I usually get my friend to quickly log onto his bank alt then log off after the raid is formed.

ToddG15

Syth_Blade22 said:
reloadui does nothing, /reload reloads however.. and theres still no toolbar.

It wouldn't bother me too much, as I'm not at the level where I'm multi tasking my pet and my own spells... but :lol :lol I had my pet set to aggressive before it dissapeared.. so lets just say Grack is getting me into lots of trouble

Not to insult you but you did say you were new... Just to confirm - your pet is currently alive and summoned, right? I ask because the pet bar disappears when you do not have an active pet along side you and you said your pet was previously set to aggressive so it is very probable he ran off and got killed. If that's the case, just "revive" your pet and you should be good. If that's not the case, you could try some of the more drastic measures others have mentioned, like removing mods/deleting the WTF folder.

markot

Banned
Yeah, >.> try reviving it or resummoning it, sounds like it either ran off after a mob or died without you realising it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's a bug. Exiting the game works for me. Happens when unmounting in combat or something weird like that (I've only had in happen in BGs and WG).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
ToddG15 said:
Not to insult you but you did say you were new... Just to confirm - your pet is currently alive and summoned, right? I ask because the pet bar disappears when you do not have an active pet along side you and you said your pet was previously set to aggressive so it is very probable he ran off and got killed. If that's the cause, just "revive" your pet and you should be good. If that's not the case, you could try some of the more drastic measures others have mentioned, like removing mods/deleting the WTF folder.

:lol :lol Don't worry not insulted! I'd be asking the same things, Grack is most definitely alive! I never got the original pet toolbar back.. but once I hit level 10 and got all the new upgrades for it (feed / get more pets) another permanent toolbar appeared.. so that'll do me for now.

TomServo

I don't know how anyone who's tanked randoms can stand having dps and healers roll need on tanking gear. I lost two rolls on tanking belts in back to back randoms yesterday.

I guess I'm going to have to console myself by rolling need on dps gear and building a decent offspec set.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TomServo said:
I don't know how anyone who's tanked randoms can stand having dps and healers roll need on tanking gear. I lost two rolls on tanking belts in back to back randoms yesterday.

I guess I'm going to have to console myself by rolling need on dps gear and building a decent offspec set.
Well, I think at this point in the game, everyone is building an offset just for kicks. Paladin in my guild rolls need on all plate, just so she can try something other than healing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
TomServo said:

Yes, it's very frustrating to see a ret/holy paladin, or a dps warrior/dk needing on tanking gear. Thankfully for my last prot warrior, i won all the rolls against those idiots. Some people at least sympathize with me and votekick those ninjas even if they lose the rolls. It's good to know that some DPS(most of the time, DPS that arent using plate, surprise surprise) understand how the tank feels sometimes. :lol

I really, really, hate plate users DPS and holy paladins when i tank 5 man pugs.

TomServo

Lyphen said:
Well, I think at this point in the game, everyone is building an offset just for kicks. Paladin in my guild rolls need on all plate, just so she can try something other than healing.

Thing is, I'm tanking non-heroic ToC, FoS, PoS, and HoR until I get rid of my quest / leveling blues.

I can understand an ICC-geared ret pally rolling for an offset in a heroic, and frankly it wouldn't bother me so much because they're making my life easy by facerolling heroics. But when you carry some terrible dps through an instance and they roll on tanking gear... grr.

It works both ways. I'm leveling Ret through Northrend and I think I've won 2 items in dungeons since tanks roll on all the plate DPS gear. Nobody seems to be leveling bear tanks, either.

Blizzard clearly knows what roles these items are itemized for; they should add in another level of the "you can't roll if you can't wear it" check and include this to allow priority for the role that actually needs it.

Door2Dawn

Banned
1535.jpg

Asscandy, destroyer of guilds returns!

Well, here are some of my little things that makes WoW a bit easier for me.

I have B set to open all of my bags at once.

I have - set as my autorun because I used to use the numpad for certain abilities and I didn't like turning numlock on and off.

Y = Achievements
I = Dungeon finder
O = Social
P = Spellbook (I set it this way)
H = Honor
J = Guild
L = Quest log
X = Sit
C = Character
Shift V = Enemy life bars (I set it this way)
N = Skill trees
M = Map
\ = Take out, put away your weapon (I set it this way, I think default is Z)

A lot of those are default. I use WASD for movement and F as jump.

Did you know that if you hold down both mouse buttons that you'll move forward?

Also, if you have whispers come in from multiple people, did you know you can hit R to reply and then hit TAB to cycle through the names of those who whispered you?

These are pretty commonly known but ya never know who can benefit from them.

Cyrillus

Door2Dawn said:
http://db.mmo-champion.com/static/img/screenshots/1535.jpg

Asscandy, destroyer of guilds returns!

At least this time when the GL gives it to his Ret Pally PVP friend I won't cry so hard.

seriously, I was sad :-(

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Bisnic said:
Yes, it's very frustrating to see a ret/holy paladin, or a dps warrior/dk needing on tanking gear. Thankfully for my last prot warrior, i won all the rolls against those idiots. Some people at least sympathize with me and votekick those ninjas even if they lose the rolls. It's good to know that some DPS(most of the time, DPS that arent using plate, surprise surprise) understand how the tank feels sometimes. :lol

I really, really, hate plate users DPS and holy paladins when i tank 5 man pugs.

This kind of bullshit is the cancer that's killing WoW.

Bitch-ass tanks who can't accept that it's 2010, dual specs are in the game, and other people in the group might want the same shit as them.

Fucking bleeding hearts. Deal with it just like every other pve-role.

TomServo said:
But when you carry some terrible dps through an instance and they roll on tanking gear... grr.

Maybe his DPS is terrible because he's really a tank? Grr.

letsbereasonable said:
It works both ways. I'm leveling Ret through Northrend and I think I've won 2 items in dungeons since tanks roll on all the plate DPS gear. Nobody seems to be leveling bear tanks, either.

Blizzard clearly knows what roles these items are itemized for; they should add in another level of the "you can't roll if you can't wear it" check and include this to allow priority for the role that actually needs it.

This is a retarded idea. I got most of my resto gear for my shaman through random dungeon finder, but I did so while using my enhancement spec because I'm far better geared in that spec. If you only allowed people queued as tanks to roll for tank gear you'd just end up with a lot of undergeared pug tanks.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
funkmastergeneral said:
This is a retarded idea. I got most of my resto gear for my shaman through random dungeon finder, but I did so while using my enhancement spec because I'm far better geared in that spec. If you only allowed people queued as tanks to roll for tank gear you'd just end up with a lot of undergeared pug tanks.

Thank you.

Flib

It's retarded to limit it, but if the tank is rolling need on a tank piece, the dps should not roll against him. This works both ways, the tank should not roll against the dps for dps pieces unless they ask. I've geared up multiple tanks this way, it's not hard.

If I was tanking a dungeon and some asshat rolled need on a piece of gear that I needed, I'm leaving the group. If the dps wants it for his tanking offspec, he can tank the damn dungeon.

Magnus

Is anyone else not fascinated by these need/greed/ninja dynamics? I mean, isn't the point that it's a social game and that you should be able to flex your social muscle to get what you want?

Many people agree with me that as convenient as things like the dungeon finder are, they're stripping the world of its social dynamics, of having to work to build a group, and creating groups that don't even communicate with each other. Everything's becoming automated and less human.

It's a social, multiplayer game. Discuss things ahead of time with your randomly assembled group and work out what you want. Bribe them if you have to. I bought BoP loot from others in classic/BC raids when I wanted it because I could. There are different ways to get what you want, and many solutions exist in dealing with people and personalities. I always thought that was the ultimate intrigue of an MMO.

I can appreciate the counter-argument though. This is a game; it should provide maximum enjoyment, not just emulate real life social dynamics to the point where your enjoyment is hampered.

Still, I'm fascinated in seeing the social dynamics play out in WoW.

Bisnic

Osaka said:
Thank you.

So you think that a super geared 5.6k GS ret paladin has as much rights as a tank with a ilvl 187 shield to roll on the tanking shield from reg HOR? That's the kind of shit i can't stand. An "undergeared" tank have to work really hard to hold aggro & survive compared to a DPS, even more against a DPS with ICC gear. If a tanking piece is an upgrade to the tank, and if the DPS also rolls needs without asking first, the DPS is an asshole.

Flib

Also, gotta love dps players complaining about "bitch-ass tanks."

There was a thread on mmo-champion yesterday with all of these dps players complaining about tanks getting mad when they go ahead and start pulling groups of mobs ahead of the tanks, and complaining about healers and tanks being bads. Going to enjoy watching that play out in Cataclysm.

Magnus

Bisnic said:
So you think that a super geared 5.6k GS ret paladin has as much rights as a tank with a ilvl 187 shield to roll on the tanking shield from reg HOR? That's the kind of shit i can't stand. An "undergeared" tank have to work really hard to hold aggro & survive compared to a DPS, even more against a DPS with ICC gear. If a tanking piece is an upgrade to the tank, and if the DPS also rolls needs without asking first, the DPS is an asshole.

Agreed; but at the same time, it's really not worth getting crazy about this shit in chump heroics. It's not really worth it in raids either, but yeah.

I guess I can't relate as much to all these loot problems; I've been fortunate enough to land in a guild with my friends since day one five years ago, and man, in an average to great guild environment, everyone is trying to help gear everyone else up, even alts, because everyone knows that the better geared everyone in your group/raid is, the more successful your next raid will be.

Work at getting into a group where everyone is working together. Relying on PUGs for gear is never, ever, ever a smart idea.

Everyone can find a regular group that tackles the type of PvE content they want to tackle, and at the times they want to, but it takes patience and work I'm sure. But seriously, all these problems will begin disappearing fast as soon as you do it.

Bisnic

Yeah, that's why i got my characters into a guild before the expansion is released. Like this, when i'll do a 5 man in Cataclysm where 1 boss drop a tanking cloak i want, i'll just do it with 4 people of my guild and not deal with the idiots from the dungeon finder. When i will just want to do 5 mans for XP, quests, or justice points, then maybe i'll use it.

Magnus

Yeah, I promise, if you're frustrated at the state of things on your server when you play about not being able to find groups where you get what you need, there are others in the same boat. Form your own guild, make a regular group, everyone will get what they need consistently. It's great. That's the real way to 'win' this game imo.

I guarantee that if most MMO-haters got to experience the cohesion of a regular group/raiding environment, they wouldn't constantly dismiss the genre or WoW as worthless. It's been pretty much the greatest gaming experience in my life, playing with the same, evolving group of people for years.

Flib said:
Also, gotta love dps players complaining about "bitch-ass tanks."

There was a thread on mmo-champion yesterday with all of these dps players complaining about tanks getting mad when they go ahead and start pulling groups of mobs ahead of the tanks, and complaining about healers and tanks being bads. Going to enjoy watching that play out in Cataclysm.
PuGs are going to be so bad in the beginning. Stupid DPS aren't going to be able to AoE everything down between boss fights. If DPS gets impatient and starts pulling ahead of the tank, that's probably cause for insta-wipe.

People are so used to how relatively easy things are now. Especially with how over powered a lot of people are at the moment. I think there's going to be a lot of complaining on how difficult things are going to be in Cata. People are going to need to communicate and crowd control and other things that they're just not used to doing.

Hopefully I'll be running with guildmates the whole time which will cut down my intake of idiocy.

Edit: Just for the record, I consider myself to be a part of the "stupid DPS" group, but I've never pulled before the tank. :D

Flib

Well, it's actually pretty ok on the beta. I think I've only had one dungeon run really fall apart (wiped on the first trash mob in stonecore and the dps dropped), and people have been pretty good about obeying kill order and offering to CC. I just don't know how well this will translate to the wider game, as most of the people in beta seem to be pretty gung-ho and helpful, with a sort of "we're all in this together" kind of attitude...though gear doesn't matter, so that helps.

If a dps pulls the next trash group (even in normal dungeons), you will auto-wipe. There is no way around that. The damage output across the board is just way heavier. Maybe not in Blackrock Caverns normal, but definitely in the others.

edit: For the record, I can deal with it when dps pulls, but it still pisses me off. On my paladin, it's not a huge deal, but it's super annoying on my bear or warrior, because dps don't seem to understand what rage starvation is. One of the posters in that stupid thread also complained about dk's complaining while that happens that their runes are on cooldown, and that those people should l2p. Which obviously shows that the poster has no idea how DK tanking works. But I'm probably just a bitch-ass tank like all the rest!

Cipherr

Azwethinkweiz said:
If I was tanking a dungeon and some asshat rolled need on a piece of gear that I needed, I'm leaving the group. If the dps wants it for his tanking offspec, he can tank the damn dungeon.

As a dps, THIS.

I'm not sure why WoW adopted the dumbass idea that needing on a role your not performing OVER the person performing it is cool. I guess its just part of the game having a large player base.

But like someone said, your gaming experience is increased 10 fold by simply only running dungeons within your guild. You never have to deal with this stuff if you find a group of like minded folk.

Flib

Oh look, they have another thread today called Crybaby Tanks.

I mean, obviously there are some douchey tanks out there, and we do like being the center of attention, but I just have to laugh at the general hostility that exists for tanks. It's no wonder they're rare, it takes a thick skin (and patience when you're chain-pulling multiple groups and still have the 1k dps hunter whispering GO GO GO FASTER to you).

I'm really at a loss as to where all this hostility comes from, and I would have said the same thing during all the years I spent as a dps.

notworksafe

Plus people can never make up their mind. When I needed Divine Plea for mana as a tank, people bitched that I pulled too fast. Now that I don't need it, I pull slower and people bitch that I'm not going fast enough.

I've mostly given up on randoms now that everything dungeon/raid wise I want to do is complete. All I need is to finally do an Undying run this weekend and I'll be done with raiding and dungeoning until the Cata event starts...then after that I'll be done until December 7th.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Random Dungeon Finder made tanks disposable, now they're just "those jerks who get instant queues" instead of the hero who joined our group when we really needed a run through Heroic UK.

Sober

Flib said:
Oh look, they have another thread today called Crybaby Tanks.

I mean, obviously there are some douchey tanks out there, and we do like being the center of attention, but I just have to laugh at the general hostility that exists for tanks. It's no wonder they're rare, it takes a thick skin (and patience when you're chain-pulling multiple groups and still have the 1k dps hunter whispering GO GO GO FASTER to you).

I'm really at a loss as to where all this hostility comes from, and I would have said the same thing during all the years I spent as a dps.
It's probably a mixture of the dungeon finder making it easy (i.e. very passively) to get groups and the lack of raiding tanks doing 5-mans either because they have guildies to do it with or are JP capped. So it's very likely you're going to bump into a person who's new to tanking or someone leveling an alt (may or may not know how to tank, in general I mean).

Bisnic

Flib said:
Well, since tanking and healing is harder in Cata, hopefully that will change.

If anything, people will be so bad, people will wipe so much, they will just hate everyone even more than they do now.

The first months of Cataclysm will be a big nono for the dungeon finder after lvl 80.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm hoping raiders who are overgeared for heroics will reach their point cap in raids and stay out of heroic queues. No free rides through heroics and no getting yelled at for running a heroic in the gear level it's actually meant for.

TomServo

Azwethinkweiz said:

I did that yesterday. Rolled need on a tanking item that dropped from a trash mob in FoS. Paladin healer rolls against me and wins it. He won the roll right after I pulled a large trash pack, and I dropped group.

This is my third 80... my warlock was doing progression raiding right up until ICC (lots of server firsts in Ulduar and ToGC), I've healed heroics and farm raids on my disc priest, and I tanked with my DK from the time I hit Northrend. I know how to play, and I know how a good cohesive guild works.

Honestly the dungeon finder is the only thing that brought me back, because it's nice to play as a casual and know I can jump on for 30 minutes and run a dungeon. That said, losing rolls to people playing a different spec is enough to sour me to the experience and encourage me to do something else with my free time. Tanking isn't hard, if you want to gear up your tank then be the tank.

Sober

Anyone here tanking on a DK? I've been trying and now I'll sound like a total noob cause I have questions.

Is the priority correct? Found this on the forums: BB -> diseases up -> RS for threat or DS to heal + apply shield (and threat) -> HS -> HoW/DRW?

I really can't find the rhythm with how the runes fill up right now (10s between each one is kinda slow) especially with Runic Empowerment being random as it is. I've spent a couple hours just trying to get it down at the dummy but it still feels a bit weird. So, if RE procs a blood rune, obviously I can spend it on BB or HS, but if it refreshes a death rune, won't I still have to wait for another to DS anyway? I suppose I can blood tap for a death rune and use it. What about Festering Strike if I have a blood and death rune up? I've heard it causes alot of threat, or is that wrong?

I haven't done many dungeons yet, but I suppose having RS available might help as the proper RP dump? It's still a bit annoying not being able to RS on demand yet in BP. I'm just curious also if that's the reason DK threat might not be so high (in raids), is it because they can't really RS to dump RP yet?

On the other hand, paladin tanking (my main) is fun, so is the new druid stuff with Pulverize and everything. I sort of enjoy not having to continuously press Maul like a madman, or the other ONAs in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom