• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Resubbed for the first time in about a year and a half in hopes that the new PvE endgame will be more to my taste. Very excited to have the player back in the old world and back in their faction capitals. I've hated Dalaran ever since the WotLK beta and not having everyone sitting in the same capital might return some of the "Horde vs. Alliance" feeling the game has been missing since BC launched. Who knows? World pvp might even become a factor again.

Tamanon

Banned
Paid Race Change to the new class combos will be available as soon as they are available to create (with the release of 4.0.3a)

This is an update to the previous expected functioning of this service. We're in the process of ensuring everyone here has this latest updated information, just know that this is what's now accurate. :)

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/128962/race-change-question-still-unanswered

Looks like they flipped the script on this one, now race changes available tomorrow.

CAW

Just fired up the launcher for the first time in about a month or so. I was getting ready to resubscribe probably tomorrow after the patch and I was presented with this popup:

24vqzhh.png

First time AVG has ever given me a warning concerning WoW and I've been playing since 2006.

Should I be concerned? Is this a false report from AVG or perhaps has one of my files been corrupted or something?

Account wise I use an authenticator and have never run into issues of security (knock on wood).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Wow they shut down the beta? There are still a lot of problems with classes (hunters, ret paladins in perticular) that still needed to looked into. :/

I guess they can still make changes in the PTR?
you doubled posted this 4 hours later :lol

here's what i said earlier

I'm confused.

US:

"We will be shutting down our beta realms momentarily."

"Raids have been closed on the beta for a few days. We might have a focus test or two for a particular boss before Cataclysm goes live, but the unlimited raid testing phase is concluded."

Europe:

"And with that, the time has come to conclude the beta test. The beta realms are now closed. "

jlai

To resub or not to resub.. I guess I could finally finish leveling my 71 rogue to 80 and either have that as my main or my 80 priest for Cat.

I stopped playing right before ICC opened up. Is the DK still going to be a bastard class that can't tank or dps as well as the rest? That seemed to be my issue as it was my main in WoTLK

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Speaking of world PVP though, I think my favorite was the time when my druid was my main (BC launch). People would try to gank me and it was just silly impossible to kill druids back then. Don't know if it is still true, but it used to just be loads of fun to have some rogue sneak up on you and then be able to turn the whole fight around from nearly zero health and destroy them with roots, heals and bear form.

And then I could rawrbomb. Ah, the good times.
yeah. my friend leveled a druid in BC.

he could kill warriors 10-15 levels higher :lol

he would do the bear form dance and tea bag

notworksafe

jlai said:
To resub or not to resub.. I guess I could finally finish leveling my 71 rogue to 80 and either have that as my main or my 80 priest for Cat.

I stopped playing right before ICC opened up. Is the DK still going to be a bastard class that can't tank or dps as well as the rest? That seemed to be my issue as it was my main in WoTLK
DK tanks are the best in the game right now. Their DPS is quite competitive as well.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
This is an amusing post on mmo-champion's forum:

"The Shattering killed my unused alts

The Cataclysm has taken many lives, including toons I never really found time for:

Blood Elf Mage: Struggled to learn her skills in the Barrens. Was swallowed up by the divide along with her training partners while hunting Kodo.
Tauren Warrior: Became a racing junkie and spent all his time in the Shimmering Flats. Deveolped a huge crush on Daisy the starter girl. Killed by the initial tidal wave in that region.
Night Elf Hunter: Efficient battleground assassin. Gave it up to shack with her Nelf boyfreind in Auberdine, until it was destroyed. Managed to rescue a few residents before getting caught in rapids and drowned. Side note: Her pet spider was found wandering the hills of Darkshore weeks later. Now lives a happy life in Moonglade."

All of mine were in inns for rest xp.

Alex

Numbers were pretty good across the board at the end of beta. Cata will probably launch in, by far, the best state of any WoW iteration, not surprised it was time for them to pull beta down. There's more work to do, but a lot of it is stuff that will probably have to be gleamed from live servers or mass PTR. PvP was getting better towards the end, except Mage horseshit, but PvP participation on the beta just wasn't very good.

I never saw any real problems with Ret though. Ret was always in the greater pool of things. The only thing I ever saw from Ret were massive, "REDESIGN THE ENTIRE CLASS" posts, which probably comes from being spoiled rotten from all of the reiteration Blizzard does on that class.

That's basically all you ever get out of the dipshit Paladin community though. No matter how good shit is, it's never good enough. If they have one single weakness, if they're complicated to play, if they're simple to play, whatever, it doesn't matter, they will make shit up and make a 50 page post about it asking for every single ability from every single class.

Next expansion, they'll give them a Charge clone, then they'll cry because it doesn't proc Heroism and freeze time.

jlai

notworksafe said:
DK tanks are the best in the game right now. Their DPS is quite competitive as well.

Oh really, I was never a hardcore raider or anything but it seemed like the incoming damage was pretty spikey.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
jlai said:
Oh really, I was never a hardcore raider or anything but it seemed like the incoming damage was pretty spikey.
there's been a ton of changes to the class since the time you raided and now. the biggest is there's a dedicated tanking tree, blood. can't be used as dps.

maniac-kun said:
http://250kb.de/u/101123/j/vO9yJc51s551.jpg

Its the last 24 hours of the old world.
i love that image

it's the last 16 hours and 40 minutes :p

the wow client says 3am pst - 11am pst

C.Dark.DN

Banned
This is a good indirect explanation of why The Shattering would happen 2 weeks earlier instead of 1.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=24183&storypage=2
I think it helps also that StarCraft II recently just launched and we got to see their launch happen and how everything worked for them. All of that gives us experience in making our launch as smooth as possible. I think that's why you're seeing the patches spaced out like they are. Part of the reason behind that is so we give ourselves time to fix things before we get to launch day. We don't want to end up in a situation where we're launching 4.0.3a three days before Cataclysm ships and then there's some huge issue with 4.0.3a we weren't able to find before it went live. At that point we don't have much time to deal with the situation before launch. Really, for us it's about making sure the programmers feel comfortable with the content that we're putting up and that they'll have time to deal with any issues should they arise. The player experience and the servers being up is our highest priority.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Freyjadour said:
No Raptor.

Did a Victory Lap of ZG.

Logging out in the park.

Bye bye old world :(

Oh yeah, i gotta put one of my alliance in the SW Park tonight, just to see where he ends up tomorrow. :lol

Meanwhile, Blizzard only put a "regular schelule" news in the logging screen. Not even bothering to warn people.

All the people that aren't following the game through forums or MMOChampion will have quite a surprise tomorrow.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
They'll probably just hearth you to one of the major cities anyway.
still gotta do it

i guess on top of the org bank or inside the flight path stairwell is as good as any

tho it'd prob be better to be out in the world

Retro

SnakeswithLasers said:
Gah. I don't know what I should go check out for one last time tonight. I hate to use the time just running random WotLK dungeons. =/

From the outside looking in, it must seem very silly. It never occurred to me, but it makes me sad to think that my characters have seen the sun set on the last 5 years forever. It's hard to know how to feel, honestly. Should I park my character someplace of significance? Should I tend to all of my characters (including my first, a 60 Human Female Paladin who's RIGHT NOW wearing a mix of Lightforge and various 5-man pieces?) and make sure they're in an inn, out of some insane sense of respect?

Crazy to think on your alter egos in this way, I guess...

It's 10PM here. Servers go down in two hours. Fourteen hours later, from everything I've heard, it's a whole new game. Glad I managed to hook up with some GAFers before it happened so I have someone to chat with while I stroll through the ashes of MMO-memories. My home server is lonely.

cdyhybrid

Hmm, I have my heirlooms ready for my Goblin Rogue, maybe I'll roll a Troll Rogue tomorrow and check out the new Troll starting experience and as much of the 1-60 path I can get before the 7th.

notworksafe

Retro said:
It's 10PM here. Servers go down in two hours. Fourteen hours later, from everything I've heard, it's a whole new game. Glad I managed to hook up with some GAFers before it happened so I have someone to chat with while I stroll through the ashes of MMO-memories. My home server is lonely.
I thought they went down at 3am PST? That's still 8ish hours from now.

Loxley

CAW said:
Just fired up the launcher for the first time in about a month or so. I was getting ready to resubscribe probably tomorrow after the patch and I was presented with this popup:

24vqzhh.png

First time AVG has ever given me a warning concerning WoW and I've been playing since 2006.

Should I be concerned? Is this a false report from AVG or perhaps has one of my files been corrupted or something?

Account wise I use an authenticator and have never run into issues of security (knock on wood).

Don't worry about it, I got the same warning a few days ago. My assumption is has to do with AVG and not WoW, likely something they changed in AVG11. It hasn't had any adverse effects on the game from what I can tell. It should only ask you once, so it's no biggy :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
http://www.curse.com/blogs/world-of...f-warcraft-s-tom-chilton-on-patch-4-0-3a.aspx

This we discussed in this thread recently.

How is The Shattering going to happen? Should we expect an epic ending to the pre-Cataclysm event and elemental invasions?

TC: The culmination, we're already at the final stage of the event that builds up to The Shattering. The final "event" is the in-game cinematic. And that's really what the transition is for players, that players will play through this event that's building up and then at some point... just because of the realities of the code, we have to flip a switch.

So we're going to be doing that during maintenance when The Shattering happens, and so when players log back in for the first time, it's a very small patch for players, and be introduced to the cinematic. That's suppose to be what happened while you were asleep. Conceptually, this is what just happened while you weren't controlling your character.

That being said, where will players be when they log in? I know in beta it sent people to either the outside of Orgrimmar or the outside of Stormwind. Have you guys finalized where people are going to actually log in?

TC: Yeah they'll log in alive at the nearest graveyard of the zone they were at. So let's say they were in the middle of Arathi Highlands, they would be standing wherever the nearest graveyard is to where they were logged out at. So they're not like falling through the air to their deaths when they log in.

How exactly will The Shattering transition over into Cataclysm on the 7th? Is 4.0.3a going to set it up so players will go seamlessly from Wrath to Cataclysm at midnight, or will you still need to restart the realms?

TC: Yeah, when we launch on December 7th that will be very seamless, and that's designed to not require server downtime. That will be more like it was with Burning Crusade and Lich King, at the stroke of midnight... boom you can go to the new areas.

There's other stuff. Another confirmation that you can race change into the new combos. Hybrids vs pure. etc.

This is going to be a very dumb question but is there anything special for me to do even though I'm only a level 6? If so, what and where? Or do you have to be a level 80+ to take part in whatever it is that everyone is so excited about?

LovingSteam said:
This is going to be a very dumb question but is there anything special for me to do even though I'm only a level 6? If so, what and where? Or do you have to be a level 80+ to take part in whatever it is that everyone is so excited about?

Nothing is happening until after downtime tomorrow, then the world is being "shattered" by Deathwing and will be vastly different.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
LovingSteam said:
trash the level 6 and start over tomorrow.

what race are you?

Yeah, I think a bunch of GAFers are rerolling Horde side on Area 52. The game is much better if you have others to play with, in fact you might never leave. Level 6 should only take you an hour max, so don't worry about losing it.

Yaweee

What Heirlooms should I get for a Tauren Ret Paladin? I have 5500 of the PvP points, but only 2083 of the PvE points, too few for anything in Dalaran it seems.

Retro

notworksafe said:
I thought they went down at 3am PST? That's still 8ish hours from now.

Yeah, I was figuring the time change the wrong way, like a moron.

Also, like a sentimental moron, I parked my first character in the Stormwind Cathedral like a total nub... even got out a nice looking outfit I had saved.

qtnGi.jpg

Damn, she had rockin' cleavage going on.

Yaweee said:
What Heirlooms should I get for a Tauren Ret Paladin? I have 5500 of the PvP points, but only 2083 of the PvE points, too few for anything in Dalaran it seems.

If you want to level quicker get the shoulders and chest for 20% to experience. But if you want to see what they did to the old world longer, just get the ax two hander that looks like the old arcanite reaper. They should have re itemize everything and you won't need any of the armor. Just get the weapon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just i just did a little ICC tonight before the Shattering and a funny glitch happened on the Ship fight...(Alliance version)

Saurfang jumped on our ship and wiped us during the confusion. He's that hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom