• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would my stupid GM pick a realm with queue for over 30 minutes to make raiding guild on :(
At least I'm catching up on some DS games heh

notworksafe said:
Yep. DK, Paladin, Hunter is the way to go.

DK in Blood Spec is very good. Lots of self-heals and good damage. Prot Paladin is also pretty good. Doesn't take much damage, and has a mana-free self heal but doesn't put out as much damage as the other two. Hunter in 2pc T5 (iirc) and a Turtle pet is good enough to do plenty as well. Don't take much damage and put plenty out. However if your pet dies, you're kinda screwed.

Out of all of those three, I'd choose Paladin...but just because I think DK is kinda boring. There's less leveling to be done with DK but with the new world changes you'll want to level up through it imo.

Blood DKs are very good at soloing, I can tell you from experience since that's what I main. I've soloed all the Outland Heroics (honestly I could probably solo at least some of the Northrend Heroics at this point as well, though it'd be an exercise in patience more than anything) as well as Molten Core. Soloed a few bosses in AQ 40 - some are impossible or nigh impossible solo. Could do all of ZG (now gone). Never tried AQ 20 solo, but I'm sure I could do it. Probably could do at least most of BWL solo as well, but I've always done it with at least a few people, since you can't solo Razorgore. Never tried Outland raids solo, but I just saw a video of a blood DK, possibly the world first of any class, soloing Kael'Thas in Tempest Keep.

However, going into Cataclysm with some changes that recently went into effect, I'd say Prot Paladins will be the better soloing class, at least for awhile. They recently nerfed all the DK self heals by anywhere between 30%-40% or so. Honestly, it probably won't make a huge difference since I haven't had a chance to test out the changes much, but paladins having more reliable heals is an advantage.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The XP nerf in Northrend is definitely noticeable as I'm finishing up my warrior there. Went from 74-76 last night in 2-3 hours, though I was rested. Also got his JC past 425, so he's ready for Cataclysm there (just a waste of money trying to push it further at this point). Mining is past 400, but he'll hit cap before he hits 80 at the rate I've been mining while leveling.

Also started my Tauren paladin - got him to level 4 I think before quitting for the night. He literally has one-shot everything so far wearing every heirloom available to him :lol

But leveling him up will be fun. Any recommendations for the 10-20 range? I'm thinking Silverpine with all the new lore and quests there, though Azshara may be a good choice as well.

Noticed the same thing on my rested 75 paladin, started last night for a few hours and an hour today, half way to 77. I don't even remember where a lot of the quests are in dragonblight so that's not been part of it.

EDIT - btw what's wrong with the wow forums? Pages haven't updated in days.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The quest Welcome to the Machine in Hillsbrad Foothills was funny. :lol

Retro

Bleh. I've spent all of my time post-Shattering jumping from server to server to play with three groups of people. My main server (Troll Druid), Area 52 (Troll Druid #2) and a new server a friend of mine is tinkering around on (Cowadin).

Need to pick a server and stick to it...

CarbonatedFalcon said:
However, going into Cataclysm with some changes that recently went into effect, I'd say Prot Paladins will be the better soloing class, at least for awhile. They recently nerfed all the DK self heals by anywhere between 30%-40% or so. Honestly, it probably won't make a huge difference since I haven't had a chance to test out the changes much, but paladins having more reliable heals is an advantage.

I agree with this; because Holy Power is a separate energy resource from mana, Paladins can pretty much pull of Word of Glory out of nowhere. The only other thing you'll be using it on is Shield of the Righteous, and in a nasty situation you're better off healing up than trying to burst something down. A mana-less, instant heal is amazingly useful for soloing.

There's also a few talents in the Prot Tree that improve WoG to great effect.

Kraftwerk

Goddamn.I jumped on my lvl 46 warranty to do some random after this patch,and things are hitting hard.Got strathlhome as a random daily and the abomination near one shot me.
I have to say that I'm enjoying making healers cry now.

Ridli

zero margin said:
EDIT - btw what's wrong with the wow forums? Pages haven't updated in days.

I feel foolish mentioning it, but I just want to make certain you're looking at the new, fancy forums right? Not the old, locked, and no longer updating forums.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/index.html?sid=1 -- Old and busted

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/ -- New hotness

Retro said:
I agree with this; because Holy Power is a separate energy resource from mana, Paladins can pretty much pull of Word of Glory out of nowhere. The only other thing you'll be using it on is Shield of the Righteous, and in a nasty situation you're better off healing up than trying to burst something down. A mana-less, instant heal is amazingly useful for soloing.

There's also a few talents in the Prot Tree that improve WoG to great effect.

Yeah, Guarded by the Light + glyphing WoG is pretty strong. Especially with Divine Plea giving a free 3 HP makes for some very nice emergency heals. Or getting to pop WoG twice within 3 GCDs will allow you to get through a lot of nasty situations.

Retro

Ridli said:
Yeah, Guarded by the Light + glyphing WoG is pretty strong. Especially with Divine Plea giving a free 3 HP makes for some very nice emergency heals. Or getting to pop WoG twice within 3 GCDs will allow you to get through a lot of nasty situations.

Yeah. If you're soloing and worried more about survival, you can spend 5 points on Divinity and Eternal Glory and watch the WoGs roll in too. I don't use Eternal Glory in my 80 Tankadin's spec (I'd rather keep the points for something like Hallowed Ground), but leveling as Prot I totally would. WoG is a HUGE tool for Protadins, it's literally your only Holy Power dump for the first 30 levels.

J-Rzez said:
Uh oh, saw two Belf warriors now, it begins, again. (though I'm making my War a Goblin)
Man, I completely forgot that that was a new combo. I was healing some belf warriors last night and thought it seemed weird.

Also really getting the hang of holy paladin now. It's pretty fun! I never use my cooldowns though. I swear, I'm the worst at using cooldowns. I think it's because waaaay back in vanilla I mained a rogue for a while and all the cooldowns were five minutes and cost reagents. So I got really choosy about popping them. Now I just never use anything, even though it's only 2 minutes and free.

Billen

Banned
Just started playing my 80 druid again after years. Sitting here with a razer naga, no macros and I don't even know where to begin :D

Edit: Love the naga, btw. Playing rogue, DK and other alts.

Magnus

I loved rolling a human again for the first time in years and seeing how everything was different. Killing orcs right off the bat in Northshire is a much neater way to throw people in than killing nameless wolves and other boring NPCs. Milly's farm is on fire, etc. Really great.

I still can't seem to get bit by the levelling bug again the way I was years back. I think I'm finally toast on levelling alts, as much as I want to experience the new 1-60.

Could use advice on how to proceed. I'm definitely sticking with my main priest; he's my baby.

I've got:

Priest 80 (main)
Priest 80 (old main, rerolled race using RAF before the pre- paid race change)
Shaman 80 (RAF byproduct; regret; what a boring class pre 4.0; no idea how it is now)
Paladin 76
Mage 72 (so much fun)
Druid 62 (RAF byproduct with a friend)
Death Knight 60 (fun, but eh, melee just ain't my style I guess)
Hunter 54 (RAF byproduct; wanna give it a try, but know nothing about the class, especially now post-4.0)
Warlock 36

No warrior (save the level 4 one I just rolled in Elwynn), no rogue.

I just can't get into melee as much as I want to.

I'm really feelin' the lock as far as cool factor goes, but don't know how well they play now. Though the idea of a caster with a pet seems to rule. But it seems weird to me that I'm into all three cloth classes; they should be too similar, but I love nuking shit.

Should I just go with my instinct on Mage being so much fun and stick with it? I think I unconsciously rolled a Shaman because I thought heroism was so useful and cool, and now Time Warp is available for mages, haha.

Retro

Bleh. Too many characters I want to tinker with too. I can't decide what to name my Troll Druid, so... GAF can help. I have the names Marauder and Razinja, so somebody cast a vote. Neither is especially sentimental but both strike me as cool. Planning to go Feral to level, not sure about endgame yet.

Got my Cowadin, but I have three paladins on the same server already, and I'm seriously considering just race changing one them them despite the fact that I really don't have $25 to blow and I wanted to actually level the character instead of just play it. I dunno why I'm saving the other two Paladins either, except one has decent Enchanting.

Maybe do my Cowadin on Area 52 where I don't have a high level pally yet. No heirlooms there though =\.

Definitely looking forward to my Goblin Hunter when cata hits.

Hiding in the office because my girlfriend and her mom are going at it like they do every Thanksgiving. :lol

So, I've got my 80 Tankadin, a Goblin Hunter, and a Troll Druid. Gonna roll a Cowadin on Area 52. There's also an Orc Warrior on A52 that I've enjoyed playing lately.

I wish Blizzard handled Servers like Guild Wars does, and you weren't limited on where you could play. I'd love to bounce my Paladin main back between four different servers because of the different people I play with.

I also hate the idea of accidentally replacing my main by leveling on a different server and then getting achivements / mounts / interested in that character more. Account-wide achivements, mounts, and pets would be nice too. I don't see it happening though.

SUPARSTARX

wowscrnshot112510155917.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just finished up Westfall, i loved
the vision into deadmines, looking forward to running it when i get up a couple more levels

KJTB

Jeeze, it's insane how quick leveling goes by now.

I haven't leveled from 1-60 since the beginning of BC and it's insane how quickly the levels go by now. I only have heirloom shoulders but I'm out pacing the zones like crazy. I don't want to skip any of the content (and I have quest OCD... If I see a quest I basically have to do it no matter what :lol) so the majority of my quests are green and some have even turned grey. I'm only level 31 right now though on my new druid so I'm thinking that maybe it's just this quick early on... I hate abandoning quests because I need to move on to the next zone before they go grey on me.

KJTB

Cindres said:
Just finished up Westfall, i loved
the vision into deadmines, looking forward to running it when i get up a couple more levels

The new deadmines is amazing, I was really impressed.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I've been playing a hunter, (lvl 15 so far) and there's something I don't get about the class. If I don't have anything targeted and I press an attack button, it'll automatically target+shoot any random enemy in range. So I end up pulling the next pack of mobs in a random because I happened to press an attack button the moment the pack we were killing died. Is there a way I can make so no new mobs get targeted until I manually tab to one? (sort of the way a caster works)

Edit: I checked "Stop Auto Attack" in the options but that didn't do what I'm looking for.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So, did anyone got killed by Deathwing yet?

And i'm surprised that Blizzard thought about adding a lot of FPs to the old zones, yet they forgot Winterspring & Silithus.

Ok as it turns out I had a free 7 days so I installed wow and took a few days with patches (350kbs ftw)

So umm is there or was there any in game stuff to explain why Orgrimmar has changed etc? Where thrall has gone and why mr cairne is dead?

Was there like ingame invasion stuff the past few weeks or something?

I'm rather overwhelmed atm by how much has changed since I last played in March.

Sucks I missed the retaking of the echo isles by the trolls. I love trolls.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Blood DKs are very good at soloing, I can tell you from experience since that's what I main. I've soloed all the Outland Heroics (honestly I could probably solo at least some of the Northrend Heroics at this point as well, though it'd be an exercise in patience more than anything) as well as Molten Core. Soloed a few bosses in AQ 40 - some are impossible or nigh impossible solo. Could do all of ZG (now gone). Never tried AQ 20 solo, but I'm sure I could do it. Probably could do at least most of BWL solo as well, but I've always done it with at least a few people, since you can't solo Razorgore. Never tried Outland raids solo, but I just saw a video of a blood DK, possibly the world first of any class, soloing Kael'Thas in Tempest Keep.

Don't forget that the self-heals were nerfed because percentage based heals become absurd at 85 when you have 120K HP. You will easily be able to solo that content at 85 in like 3 or 4 weeks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
sykoex said:
I've been playing a hunter, (lvl 15 so far) and there's something I don't get about the class. If I don't have anything targeted and I press an attack button, it'll automatically target+shoot any random enemy in range. So I end up pulling the next pack of mobs in a random because I happened to press an attack button the moment the pack we were killing died. Is there a way I can make so no new mobs get targeted until I manually tab to one? (sort of the way a caster works)

Edit: I checked "Stop Auto Attack" in the options but that didn't do what I'm looking for.
You must have some setting off because I've never had it do that at all. I usually have /petattack macro'd to Steady Shot though to keep my pet on my target rather than whatever target he feels like.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Managed to do my first dungeon finder run with my protection warrior today, first time tanking in a group too. Made it through new Deadmines without a single death but I didn't get any input from my teammates other than "over here."

Procedure:
1. Fire gun at single enemy (or close distance with a mage) to pull,
2. auto-attack and shield bash with reckless abandon,
3. use thunder clap on groups to keep them on me and taunt adds/breakaways.
4. Did we win?

I couldn't help but feel that pulling each mob made my team impatient but it's more fun than rushing in and getting massacred like in the trips with my rogue.

Thnikkaman said:
Managed to do my first dungeon finder run with my protection warrior today, first time tanking in a group too. Made it through new Deadmines without a single death but I didn't get any input from my teammates other than "over here."

Procedure:
4. Did we win?

I couldn't help but feel that pulling each mob made my team impatient but it's more fun than rushing in and getting massacred like in the trips with my rogue.
You may want to start charging into a pack once you figure out if your group can handle it.

But in general, sounds like you're doing fine.

Infinity

Thnikkaman said:

Procedure:
4. Did we win?

You could have been running with folks that constantly farm heroics with their 80's. Now, with the gear the way it is, heroics are blisteringly fast.

As a tank, I always feel that if we clear the zone with no wipes, we win.

And, it sounds like you did great. Keep-a-tankin'.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
SnakeswithLasers said:
You may want to start charging into a pack once you figure out if your group can handle it.

But in general, sounds like you're doing fine.
Thanks. Because of my inexperience I was hesitant to charge in except when Defias Mages were throwing spells at me from afar. With enough practice in each dungeon I'll be able to run through them quickly and the enemies all seem to be in logical places. Is this good enemy placement common in WoW dungeons? I come from EQ2 partying and leading my team into a sudden ganking by elite mobs behind corners was no fun as a tank.

Infinity said:
You could have been running with folks that constantly farm heroics with their 80's. Now, with the gear the way it is, heroics are blisteringly fast.
Yeah, it all comes with repetition.

markot

Banned
I couldnt help buy /yell 'YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!' when I saw that on the beta with a lowbie group >.<

I like the way he puts his glasses on too for it...

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Turbo Trike is awesome!

Nice! Is grinding Wrath heroics the way to go with the tabbard for rep? Does outlands stuff work now too? I'm going to have to do this, I didn't get a chance due to overtime at work, and GT5. :(

Do they make the same noises as the motorcycle? Or are they different?

markot

Banned
Outland doesnt work, I think cause each dungeon already gives specific rep for outland factions.

But Vanilla/Northrend does!

J-Rzez

markot said:
Outland doesnt work, I think cause each dungeon already gives specific rep for outland factions.

But Vanilla/Northrend does!

Huh... so you can just grind out SM runs then? Is it the same amount of rep in Vanilla runs and Wrath?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Waaait, how does Horatio appear in Deadmines? We beat up Cookie but he never turned up.
Ed: I looked it up and I missed him at the entrance. :(

Have to say that am loving all the new quests so far. Have levelled a troll druid and gnome priest up to about level 20 so far. The best zone so far has to be Silverpine with Redridge just behind it in my opinion.
Also the Welcome to Machine Quest is pure brilliance.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Huh... so you can just grind out SM runs then? Is it the same amount of rep in Vanilla runs and Wrath?
Brd gives 4rep a mob 60 a voss. Northrend 15, 300ish a boss.

Rep grind party + gold + jp might be best.

The quest quality really takes a dive in Arathi Highlands. It looks especially bad coming from Silverpine Forest and Hillsbrad Foothills. I think they just renamed half of the quests and called it a day because I'm pretty sure I did these back in BC when I was 70. They're sending me to Hinterlands now. I hope it's better.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Brd gives 4rep a mob 60 a voss. Northrend 15, 300ish a boss.

Rep grind party + gold + jp might be best.
I think the amount of rep you get it dependant on your level. I'm getting 15 a mob and 300 a boss in Stratholme at 45.

Thnikkaman said:
Thanks. Because of my inexperience I was hesitant to charge in except when Defias Mages were throwing spells at me from afar. With enough practice in each dungeon I'll be able to run through them quickly and the enemies all seem to be in logical places. Is this good enemy placement common in WoW dungeons? I come from EQ2 partying and leading my team into a sudden ganking by elite mobs behind corners was no fun as a tank.

Yeah, it all comes with repetition.
It really depends. Most stuff is out in the open in WoW dungeons; you most likely won't get snuck up on going around corners. However, you'll get patrol aggro a lot--and that can set off a chain of pulls with the next group. In general though, charging into a pack, thunderclap, then back pedaling a few steps toward your group isn't a terrible idea. The backpedal to clump them in front of you is a good idea no matter what (I don't think you block attacks from behind and once you get Shockwave, you'll want to keep enemies clumped ahead of you).

Pulling with your gun isn't bad either--just makes casters a pain in the ass unless there is a corner you can pull behind. It used to actually be pretty necessary to do strategic pulls back in vanilla. In fact, I even remember when hunters pulled...crazy times.

I loved that though. Have a rogue walk up and sap, then have your hunter shoot one, drawing it into an ice trap, then have the group focus on the one that made it.

Isn't that how Cataclysm is supposed to work?

zlatko

Banned
I was all set on a Wolfgren Rogue, but after a ton of youtube videos I'm not sure what I want to be at all anymore once I start up on the 7th. :(

I'm between:
Rogue
Warrior
Death Knight
Paladin

Wolfgren can play 3 of those 4. I'd like to be a DD, and not much else to be honest. Otherwise I'd probably play a Warlock since they seem to always be given the best looking sets of armor, which if I stick with the game long enough to hit 80 I may roll a new character who is a Warlock just to spice things up.

Anyone got suggestions? A few YT vids of Wolfgren warriors look cool, but I get the feeling they get asked to tank more than they get to DD. I'm also unaware entirely of how DK plays out.

Angry Grimace

zlatko said:
I was all set on a Wolfgren Rogue, but after a ton of youtube videos I'm not sure what I want to be at all anymore once I start up on the 7th. :(

I'm between:
Rogue
Warrior
Death Knight
Paladin

Wolfgren can play 3 of those 4. I'd like to be a DD, and not much else to be honest. Otherwise I'd probably play a Warlock since they seem to always be given the best looking sets of armor, which if I stick with the game long enough to hit 80 I may roll a new character who is a Warlock just to spice things up.

Anyone got suggestions? A few YT vids of Wolfgren warriors look cool, but I get the feeling they get asked to tank more than they get to DD. I'm also unaware entirely of how DK plays out.
I definitely think you should be a Wolfgren DD

Retro

SnakeswithLasers said:
I loved that though. Have a rogue walk up and sap, then have your hunter shoot one, drawing it into an ice trap, then have the group focus on the one that made it.

Isn't that how Cataclysm is supposed to work?

Yeah, that's supposed to be how it works, in theory. I missed the CC-heavy pulls of Vanilla and TBC too (LOVED Magister's Terrace for all of the CC you had to pull out), I hope they come back. All of this Charge-in-and-AOE-down crap needs to go away forever and never come back.

I fondly remember the days of keeping Linken's Boomerang around to pull mobs with, before Paladins got any kind of ranged ability.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
Nice! Is grinding Wrath heroics the way to go with the tabbard for rep? Does outlands stuff work now too? I'm going to have to do this, I didn't get a chance due to overtime at work, and GT5. :(

Do they make the same noises as the motorcycle? Or are they different?
Wrath heroics is the way to do it. No idea on Outland; I just never tried them. I also did quests in Azshara, which is also highly recommended. The quests there are just too awesome.

As far as sound there's a low rumble and a large bang if you jump in the air. Overall I'm a fan of it just because the sound is so janky and just makes the bike feel like it's one second away from either falling apart or exploding. :lol The only bummers are there are only two of them right now (Epic and non-Epic) and it doesn't have a /mountspecial.

EDIT: Just noticed that when you drive the bike forward the head and tail lights turn on. When you back up the tail lights flash. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom