• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

9ie1as.jpg

When did mothafuckin Barrens get so goddamn beautiful??

Retro

That's Durotar, but yes... it's very pretty. The little orange flowers are a nice touch too. Overall, it makes Durotar go from "Meh, I really don't want to quest here again" to "Hey, this is kinda neat".

The quest
to raise the dead thunder lizards is kinda sad though. Poor dinos couldn't get out and drowned =(

Thinking of upgrading my rig before Cataclysm hits. Been away for a while. Anyone have any suggestions for a graphics card? Not up on this stuff really. If it's a Black Friday deal, even better:lol

Retro

MMO-champion just ran a little article today on upgrading your PC, that might be decent info... not sure, I'm not technical at all.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Retro said:
MMO-champion just ran a little article today on upgrading your PC, that might be decent info... not sure, I'm not technical at all.

Yeah it's a good breakdown of price ranges/good components.

Also, just hit 58 on my Troll Warlock! Outlands, here I come :D

JoeMartin

zero margin said:
Ah you think you can tank over-eager dps? by all means, enjoy. Hope your teammate share the same zeal.

Threat is literally a non-issue atm, and unless they play on tweaking vengeance it's probably going to stay that way. All I'm concerned about while tanking is how to best make it easier for the healers - paying attention to blood shield, timing death strikes, making the most of rune tap/vamp.

Sober

zero margin said:
Ah you think you can tank over-eager dps? by all means, enjoy. Hope your teammate share the same zeal.
Unfortunately, it is 2 weeks before Cata. I still hate when people (even guildies) decide to just run in or pull before me. Hell, I've seen some ret pallies or DKs turn on their tank modes and do it themselves. At this point in the game, any plate dps in even 251 gear is not threatened by dungeon trash as long as a healer is around.

JoeMartin said:
Threat is literally a non-issue atm, and unless they play on tweaking vengeance it's probably going to stay that way. All I'm concerned about while tanking is how to best make it easier for the healers - paying attention to blood shield, timing death strikes, making the most of rune tap/vamp.
Honestly, the only solution is to just wear crappier (or dps) gear to get vengeance anywhere past 300 bonus ap. Worked on my lesser geared DK and Druid tanks. If anything, lesser gear tanks with a geared healer are better since there won't be threat problems with them actually stacking vengeance. Vengeance unfortunately isn't intended for 5-mans (which is probably why they nerfed the shield slams to scale less with ap) and really should only factor in on a raid boss. Luckily they can tweak it, but I'm still expecting DPS to quickly overtake tank threat in the last tier pretty much, or business as usual.

I'm excited for Cata though, it seems like they brought back the CC heavy pulls ala MgT and hopefully they have mobs that destroy non-tanks, like Heroic Blood Furnace trash. Wouldn't even mind if I had to do Shadow Labs again.

Cyrillus

JoeMartin said:

Single target threat is a non-issue, and on my 80 DK even AoE threat is pretty much a non-issue. Leveling up my druid though, I've definitely had an issue with holding AoE threat on "over-eager" (to put it nicely) dps. It seems like every AoE pull, each DPS randomly picks a target to go balls-to-the-wall single-target dps on, and if I try and mention that they /assist me, I just get called a shitty tank. This could be the case, as I am not well versed with my druid, and all I really do is:

Demo. Roar -> Swipe -> then Maul and Mangle spam while tabbing through the group, hitting Swipe on CD.

On the plus side, I don't find myself rage starved anymore like I did pre-4.0.1

Sober

as a Feral, Mangle is now your big threat ability, and FFF if you are low on rage. Maul is like Heroic Strike now, 30 rage and off the GCD so dont press it if you are rage starved. When you get Lacerate and the Beserk talent, the dot can proc free Mangles also.

Swipe is filler since it is cheaper. Not sure how Thrash will factor in.

JoeMartin

Sober said:
Unfortunately, it is 2 weeks before Cata. I still hate when people (even guildies) decide to just run in or pull before me. Hell, I've seen some ret pallies or DKs turn on their tank modes and do it themselves. At this point in the game, any plate dps in even 251 gear is not threatened by dungeon trash as long as a healer is around.

Honestly, the only solution is to just wear crappier (or dps) gear to get vengeance anywhere past 300 bonus ap. Worked on my lesser geared DK and Druid tanks. If anything, lesser gear tanks with a geared healer are better since there won't be threat problems with them actually stacking vengeance. Vengeance unfortunately isn't intended for 5-mans (which is probably why they nerfed the shield slams to scale less with ap) and really should only factor in on a raid boss. Luckily they can tweak it, but I'm still expecting DPS to quickly overtake tank threat in the last tier pretty much, or business as usual.

I'm excited for Cata though, it seems like they brought back the CC heavy pulls ala MgT and hopefully they have mobs that destroy non-tanks, like Heroic Blood Furnace trash. Wouldn't even mind if I had to do Shadow Labs again.

Buh? After the first minute of a typical ICC encounter I'm usually at ~14k AP, and it stays there for the rest of the fight. I could literally AFK the last half of some of the bosses and DPS still wouldn't pull off me.

Or are you referring to threat in 5 mans? Tanking 5 mans these days is more challenging than ICC, but normally just because some DPS decides to drop his load on one of the four trash mobs at random and I have to adjust accordingly, but still nothing that isn't manageable (excepting ofc the fury warriors that bind cleave to all their keys and intercept into pulls before I even get there, then roll their face on the keyboard). Normally it's just a matter of making good timing choices for DnD pulls and when it's on CD good Heart Strike use and spreading RS/DS accordingly.

Well, Arathi and Hinterlands sucked. It was mostly the same quests. I had definitely done those before but, I guess I get extra quest credits towards the 3k quests achievement. Which has been going up and down for some weird reason. It even says I got 2200 something on the armory but sometimes it says I have like 2960 in-game. Jintha'Alor was a real pain. Instead of giving me all the quests at once, they gave me a few and then gave me some more to go back in when I finished them.

I'm in Western Plaguelands now and it's a lot better. It looks like it's mostly new quests.

Nothing has topped Silverpine Forest for me yet.

Lumine

Hey I noticed I have 3000 justice point on my main. You guys reckon I should save those for whenever I hit level 85 with it or spend them on some heirloom items for my troll druid that I'm currently levelling?

Oni Link 666 said:
I'm in Western Plaguelands now and it's a lot better. It looks like it's mostly new quests.

Nothing has topped Silverpine Forest for me yet.

Redridge Mountains and Westfall dude. Southern STV is pretty good too.

Niblet

So I need clarification before I go out in the daytime and waste money. If I go to gamestop and buy the vanilla wow box, does it include a 1 month game card that is not tied to new account activation? A no strings attached 1 month card. Or does it only work on a brand new account?

Cyrillus

Niblet said:
So I need clarification before I go out in the daytime and waste money. If I go to gamestop and buy the vanilla wow box, does it include a 1 month game card that is not tied to new account activation? A no strings attached 1 month card. Or does it only work on a brand new account?

Pretty positive it's just a cd-key that you use to create a new account, and that is what gives you the 1-month of play time. The last vanilla box I bought (~3 months ago), at least, did not contain any separate 1-month playtime card.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I love the mission dialogue to head into the Warsong Lumber Camp in Ashenvale. You throw this material into a fire to light a signal, so you throw it on and this giant explosion erupts. Orc Rogue called Krokk comes out of the shadows and says, "You didn't need to use the whole sack, did you?"

Tells you to go do whatever and signal him again when you're done. Same big explosion happens, he comes out again and says, "When this is over, you may want to brush up on your secrecy skills..."

Never change Blizzard.

Can anyone recommend a graphics card for me? If it's a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal, then even better. I want to get a new one not only for WoW but for PC games going forward. Doesn't need to be the best available. Just something good, and affordable.

LowParry

So in theory, I should be able to quest up to Lvl 65 or more by just doing old world questing. The less Outlands I need to do, the better.

Should easily be doable, on my DK I only went to Hellfire Penn and the zone right after then I was high enough to do Northrend and never went back to BC. :lol

Garryk

For those that are leveling up new toons, is there a point where you have to choose to go to EK or Kalimdor to continue leveling up? My sister is rolling an undead and I'm doing a troll. I want to know when I can bail on Kalimdor and meet up with her for Silverpine.

speedpop

Garryk said:
For those that are leveling up new toons, is there a point where you have to choose to go to EK or Kalimdor to continue leveling up? My sister is rolling an undead and I'm doing a troll. I want to know when I can bail on Kalimdor and meet up with her for Silverpine.
Pay attention to the notice boards in the capital cities. They tend to offer a quest to meet someone at a certain destination depending on the level. So level 10-12 might offer the quest to head to Silverpine if you wanted to - though I believe these notice boards will only show quest destinations depending on the continent you are on.

kodt

Banned
So I missed BC when it came out.

Played WOTLK but quit before the final ICC raids were ready (Arthas)

Now I started back up but what sucks is that I'll probably never get the chance to run:

Black Temple and kill Illidan
Sunwell
ICC and clear Arthas

Also I don't think I fully cleared Uldar.

What sucks is that I won't be able to see this content, who is going to spend time running these instances when you can get better gear so easily. Illidan and Arthas are two major Warcraft characters and it sucks that these will now be instances that are never run...

Flib

kodt said:
So I missed BC when it came out.

Played WOTLK but quit before the final ICC raids were ready (Arthas)

Now I started back up but what sucks is that I'll probably never get the chance to run:

Black Temple and kill Illidan
Sunwell
ICC and clear Arthas

Also I don't think I fully cleared Uldar.

What sucks is that I won't be able to see this content, who is going to spend time running these instances when you can get better gear so easily. Illidan and Arthas are two major Warcraft characters and it sucks that these will now be instances that are never run...

i've done every classic raid, BT and sunwell over the last few weeks. they're easy, just watch for people forming groups in trade or ask for more to join you.

Dunlop

kodt said:

people will still run that stuff for achievements. I had the same issues when I came back, I had left the game from Vanilla wow and the top horde guild on my server. All that content we had done when 60 was the lvl cap was not regulated to people who are bored and achievement whores.

(I got over it :D )

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Flib said:
i've done every classic raid, BT and sunwell over the last few weeks. they're easy, just watch for people forming groups in trade or ask for more to join you.

Yeah, but that was easy to do since there was literally nothing else to do these past months with expansion so close and ICC being so old.

Random pugs for BC & WOTLK raids after Cataclysm is released will be more rare. Maybe when Cataclysm is near its end and if the final raid last for nearly 1 year like ICC... then maybe he'll have an easier time finding a group.

Of course, if he finds a guild that likes to do old raids, he might have more chances.

notworksafe

Garryk said:
Silverpine is level 10, right? Just go there at 10 and you'll be fine.

Gah, I got all my characters on a low population (~3500 people) server with suck faction ratio. :(

Is it possible that the server ever will be a recommended server for people to move to?

nataku

I started a Human Hunter on Stormscale, but I'm not sure if I want to continue with her or wait for Cataclysm to hit to start a Worgen instead.

I'm absolutely loving the new music in Elwynn Forest, though.

I also transfered my 78 Tauren Druid to Area 52. Hopefully I'll finally hit 80 now that leveling is faster in Northrend.

Chavelo

mikespit1200 said:
thanks!

also what's the best place to farm gold for a mount as an alliance mage 80?

Work on the argent tournament dailies. 230G for just dailies if you choose the bag of gold items instead of the argent marks.

webrunner

Man, looking at that shot at the top of the page just makes me think.. they really, really need to update the player models. They said they're looking at it but I hope they're going to do it by 4.1 or something because the player models just stick out like a sore thumb nowadays.

mikespit1200 said:
Thanks, but where exactly are those? I havent played in a few years.

Northeastern Icecrown, on the coast.

The marks or whatever they are can be turned in for 250 rep to the faction city of your choice (provided you have finished their Argent Tournament quests), but if you choose the "Champion's Purse" instead you get 10 extra gold.

No point in choosing the marks for your reward now that we have city tabards.

So ive started a Warlock, that I planned to make Destro, but should I go Demon for leveling? Felguard sounds pretty useful, but I will be playing with a Druid pretty much all the time, so I wonder if it will matter much.

So what say you? Destro or Demon for leveling with a Druid friend?

speedpop

Demonology is awesome when leveling. I think Destro takes too long to get the gears kicking. A Felguard will compliment a Druid perfectly.

Hrm, got my mind set on Destro... but thats more what I want for end game anyway though I guess. I should probably just go Demon, then when I am solo, I will still be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom