• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

So I LOVED what they did with the old world dungeons. The fact that you get all applicable quests for the dungeon as soon as you enter was extremely awesome.

I went to Outland hoping it'd be the same way but needless to say I was extremely disappointed they did not do this with the TBC dungeons as well. They really should of. Same with WotLK (well I guess I can understand if they didn't want to do it with these, but TBC, come on).

KJTB

Bisnic said:
The best solution is... to make another alt! Try a race who is on another continent, or try a race from the other faction. And let the one who just hit outlands gather all that nice rested XP.

I'm so tempted to make another alt and start completely fresh... But I'm pretty determined to stick with my druid and hopefuly hit 80 before cataclysm. Once I hit 85 on my main and my Druid I'm certain that I'm going to be leveling another alt on a different server/faction :D

All of this talk of old world zones and dungeons is making me sooooo antsy to create a new character. =/

But my slots are full on my main server, so I'd have to either delete somebody or move to a new horde server, which seems silly.

Macattk15

SnakeswithLasers said:
All of this talk of old world zones and dungeons is making me sooooo antsy to create a new character. =/

But my slots are full on my main server, so I'd have to either delete somebody or move to a new horde server, which seems silly.

I don't see how you can't create a new character. The new shit really is THAT awesome.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SnakeswithLasers said:

Unless all your 10 slots are characters that are lvl 70+, i dont see why you couldnt delete some of those to try the new old world.

Lvling in the old world is so much better AND faster than before. Since you aren't forced to do 5 quests in a zone, then move to another continent for another 6 quests, just to go back to the first continent 2 lvls later.

Manus

I find it fun for some reason leveling mining and jewlcrafting right now. Probably won't find it fun once I get up to about 300.

Bisnic

SquirrelNuckle said:
I find it fun for some reason leveling mining and jewlcrafting right now. Probably won't find it fun once I get up to about 300.

Maybe it has something to do with how ores are everywhere now. Seriously, i dont look for ores... THEY FIND ME. :lol I almost want to skip some of them after i don't need them anymore for my crafting profession since there is so many... but...money is money. D:

And maybe that's why i lvl too fast. I should stop mining unless i need the ores for my crafting profession. :lol Damn Blizzard for giving us XP through gathering lol.

Bisnic said:
Unless all your 10 slots are characters that are lvl 70+, i dont see why you couldnt delete some of those to try the new old world.
Ya... I'm thinking of getting rid of my DK, but then I'll have 2 of something, which seems lame.

The only others I'd consider deleting are my lowest (45 mage and 31 lock), but neither of those classes are at all interesting to me, which is why they're not closer to 70. Everybody else is at least in the 60s.

Gah, decisions, decisions.

Anyway, what is the best way to get city rep for the factions now? I hear you can just buy a tabard? I'd like to get Undercity Rep so I can get the white warhorse on my Paladin--but do I really need 50 crusader seals or whatever to buy it?

KJTB

Leveling through the newly done old content has really rekindled my interest in the game. I'm really looking forward to cataclysm now.

I agree, if you have an alt on your main server that isn't over 70 that you hardly play then it's not really a big deal to delete it to enjoy the new content.

I hit 52 last night on my Priest, im currently leveling as holy. Would it be better to go for shadow leveling? Is it that much quicker?

MattPeters said:
I hit 52 last night on my Priest, im currently leveling as holy. Would it be better to go for shadow leveling? Is it that much quicker?

Shadow will be quicker and have less down time. It won't be a HUGE difference, but it will still be better. Just get dual spec (only 10g now), and try it out. You can still heal instances in holy.

Is the built-in "power auras" that blizzard introduced going to be customizable or more robust? I thought I had read somewhere that there was a lot more stuff being added once cataclysm actually launches.

There are at least a couple buffs that I'd really like to keep track of on my pally and I don't really want to install and configure Power Auras. (Infusion of Light for super fast heals as Holy and Sacred Duty for Shield of the Righteous crits while Prot.)

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is the built-in "power auras" that blizzard introduced going to be customizable or more robust? I thought I had read somewhere that there was a lot more stuff being added once cataclysm actually launches.

There are at least a couple buffs that I'd really like to keep track of on my pally and I don't really want to install and configure Power Auras. (Infusion of Light for super fast heals as Holy and Sacred Duty for Shield of the Righteous crits while Prot.)

Haven't heard anything about a more robust version of the default being released. And it really is quite basic - you can't move the procs around, pretty much all you can adjust is transparency.

Power Auras doesn't take too long to configure if you know what you're doing and what you're trying to track isn't too complex (certain things get complicated to get them to function properly.) Anything covered by the default power auras though would take me just a couple minutes at most to set up the way I want (the most time is probably spent picking out the texture, honestly!)

If you're not familiar with Power Auras, then it'd take longer to get how it works, but there are guides out there that explain it simply enough - once you know how to create one, others are pretty much rinse and repeat.

I just never liked how Power Auras looked to be honest--that's more the configuration issues I'm talking about. Haven't used it in forever, but when I did, I could never make anything look nice. That's more my fault than the add-on's, but I have no artistic eye for these things.

Also:
Anyway, what is the best way to get city rep for the factions now? I hear you can just buy a tabard? I'd like to get Undercity Rep so I can get the white warhorse on my Paladin--but do I really need 50 crusader seals or whatever to buy it?

ACE 1991

Messed around a bit while the game stream installs. Man is it sure running like ass, I'm going to attribute it to to the fact that its still installing :lol

EDIT: Also what seems to be the best Death Knight PVE DPS spec at the moment?

Old world dungeons and WOTLK dungeons will give you rep with whatever faction's tabard you currently have on. Just buy the UC tabard and you'll be exalted in no time.

Outland instances will not give you rep, they stay with the predetermined faction (Hellfire Citadel = Thrallmar rep, as an example)

notworksafe

Buying a tabard for dungeon running and doing the Argent Tourney dailies in tandem are the best way to get Champion Seals and rep at the same time. Also run ToC heroic every day.

So as I'm not an alt maniac at all, I've come up with a perfect solution for me.

I really use WoW as a Druid simulator. I've tried every other class and for whatever reason I don't end up liking the feel as much. So because I want a source of free gems for my main to transmute into epics, I made a new Druid. Silly? Yeah you'd think but I came up with the perfect role for him.

I'm going to dual spec both and have all 4 roles in two charas.

Druid 1 = healer and cat DPS.

Druid 2 = boomkin and tank.

I split them up that way as I've always been cat DPS with my main, only recently to switch to healer.

And I've leveled the new guy so far as boomkin, so he gets the remaining tank role.

Perfect!

Azwethinkweiz said:
Pretty good. I got screwed out of my CE for Wrath so I just showed up at BB about an hour early on release day and I got one there. But obviously YMMV depending on how high demand is in your area.
Most of the BBs in my area are doing midnight sales. What I did is preorder and do in store pickup.

Bisnic

How long does it take for Blizzard to send the pets from the Blizzard Store? Currently says "Order Status Queued"

I just bought the Lil Ragnaros. Couldn't resist.

Yes, i know i'm weak.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I just never liked how Power Auras looked to be honest--that's more the configuration issues I'm talking about. Haven't used it in forever, but when I did, I could never make anything look nice. That's more my fault than the add-on's, but I have no artistic eye for these things.

Also:

Well with the advent of the Blizzard version, Power Auras Classic (the addon) was updated to include the Blizzard textures, so you can use those if you want, and resize, move, etc, them.

Myself, I just take a little time to figure out what texture I want to represent what ability or proc, and then just make sure all the auras don't overlap each other when I have a few or more running on a character. For example, Victory Rush on my warrior I have a skull and crossbones texture, with a count-up timer that lets me know how much time I have to use it (20 secs max.) Last Stand is a red blood-spatter across the lower portion of the character.

Blade Barrier on the DK is crossed blades that are red, and sit on his left shoulder.

ACE 1991 said:
Messed around a bit while the game stream installs. Man is it sure running like ass, I'm going to attribute it to to the fact that its still installing :lol

Pretty sure both frost and unholy are competitive at this point. At the moment, I have 2h frost as my DPS spec (main spec tank though.) and I do pretty well. I don't have decent one-handers though, so that's mainly why. Gonna switch to dual wield with the introduction of strength one-handers in 80-85 content however.

I like the frost play style better though, mostly because I tanked as frost for so long, and was never a huge fan of pet classes/specs.

Personally, I think frost may be due for a nerf at some point up ahead, since the mastery scales very well, but that's just me speculating.

AoE in frost is very good though - I've hit 13-14k dps on trash in ICC and I don't have the best dps gear, certainly worse than some of the other people in the raid, and that was either topping or being second on the chart beaten only sometimes by a mage or lock.

Bisnic said:
How long does it take for Blizzard to send the pets from the Blizzard Store? Currently says "Order Status Queued"

I just bought the Lil Ragnaros. Couldn't resist.

Yes, i know i'm weak.

Should be more or less instant, I bought one and had it in the mail after a relog.

Lil' Ragnaros ain't so "lil". His Hand of Rag is almost bigger than mine =X. And if you toss him one of those TCG pet biscuits.. oh boy.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Well with the advent of the Blizzard version, Power Auras Classic (the addon) was updated to include the Blizzard textures, so you can use those if you want, and resize, move, etc, them.

Myself, I just take a little time to figure out what texture I want to represent what ability or proc, and then just make sure all the auras don't overlap each other when I have a few or more running on a character. For example, Victory Rush on my warrior I have a skull and crossbones texture, with a count-up timer that lets me know how much time I have to use it (20 secs max.) Last Stand is a red blood-spatter across the lower portion of the character.

Blade Barrier on the DK is crossed blades that are red, and sit on his left shoulder.
What I never liked was when zooming in and out in my character or just panning around the camera, the auras always looked weird. The blizzard ones seems to always fit. Maybe this is because I was using a super old version of PA though... This was 2 years ago at least.

kai3345

Banned
Booted up the game, goddamn hackers sold everything and my inventory was full of 178g worth of various ore. Luckily all of my items were in my mailbox waiting for me.

The new textures are taking a beating on my computer. I can get playable FPS at 'Fair" in Outlands but I have to switch to "Low" once I go into Azeroth. But hopefully my new computer will remedy that.

Speaking of which, anyone know if the Alienware m11x can still get 60 FPS on Ultra with the new textures and everything?

Evlar

Banned
I have yet to hear of anyone running the game with Shadows at highest getting 60 FPS. Not that I've been crawling through Gaming PC enthusiast sites, just the casual comments here and a few other places.

Flib

kai3345 said:
Booted up the game, goddamn hackers sold everything and my inventory was full of 178g worth of various ore. Luckily all of my items were in my mailbox waiting for me.

The new textures are taking a beating on my computer. I can get playable FPS at 'Fair" in Outlands but I have to switch to "Low" once I go into Azeroth. But hopefully my new computer will remedy that.

Speaking of which, anyone know if the Alienware m11x can still get 60 FPS on Ultra with the new textures and everything?

You're inevitably going to drop below 60fps in raids/crowded cities, but pretty much yeah, as long as you turn shadows down.

mcrae

about to install/download this again, i want to wait for cataclysm to drop but i just cant lol.

i wonder if my characters from vanilla wow are still alive... i had a good couple thousand gold on the one.. will be a shame to have to start completely over

SnakeswithLasers said:
What I never liked was when zooming in and out in my character or just panning around the camera, the auras always looked weird. The blizzard ones seems to always fit. Maybe this is because I was using a super old version of PA though... This was 2 years ago at least.

Eh, they still don't fit right if you're zoomed in too much, but once you get to medium to high zoom, they scale well enough.

Unrelated:

A discovery I made yesterday in Ashenvale - my worst nightmare. Friggin' spiders that stealth. Sheesh.

notworksafe

mcrae said:
about to install/download this again, i want to wait for cataclysm to drop but i just cant lol.

i wonder if my characters from vanilla wow are still alive... i had a good couple thousand gold on the one.. will be a shame to have to start completely over
They are there. Blizzard doesn't ever delete characters or accounts.

Also anyone that is level 52+ go to Ungoro Crater right now and do the Maximillian quests! He's by the hot springs and his quests are hilarious!

mileS

krypt0nian said:
So as I'm not an alt maniac at all, I've come up with a perfect solution for me.

I really use WoW as a Druid simulator. I've tried every other class and for whatever reason I don't end up liking the feel as much. So because I want a source of free gems for my main to transmute into epics, I made a new Druid. Silly? Yeah you'd think but I came up with the perfect role for him.

I'm going to dual spec both and have all 4 roles in two charas.

Druid 1 = healer and cat DPS.

Druid 2 = boomkin and tank.

I split them up that way as I've always been cat DPS with my main, only recently to switch to healer.

And I've leveled the new guy so far as boomkin, so he gets the remaining tank role.

Perfect!

I'm not sure how tank druid gear works but wouldn't it be easier in the long run to have Druid 1 cat dps and tank and Druid 2 boomkin and healer?

notworksafe said:

Also anyone that is level 52+ go to Ungoro Crater right now and do the Maximillian quests! He's by the hot springs and his quests are hilarious!

Horde can do those too? I saw the Yogscast of them, but they play Alliance, so I wasn't sure.

J-Rzez

ACE 1991 said:

I'm currently 2h UH and that's good enough to be at the tops of the charts on nearly every raid fight, including trash aoe. That's going to change at 85 though if I'm theorycrafting as well as reading theorycrafting correctly, going to DW UH.

mileS said:
I'm not sure how tank druid gear works but wouldn't it be easier in the long run to have Druid 1 cat dps and tank and Druid 2 boomkin and healer?

Well, you could use the same set of gear (for the most part) for cat and bear, but every time you switch roles, you'd have to regem and enchant to be at your full potential. So it makes more sense to have one be caster and feral (whichever), and the other healer and feral (whichever). It saves more headaches and money in the long run.

notworksafe said:
Did them on my Tauren Druid just today. :D

Nice! I'll have to hit that chain up with either the mage or paladin, maybe both. I've been trying to level them in different zones though to see the most right now. Both are 30ish.

notworksafe said:

Speaking of that zone...I've got to take my pally to UG and get poisoned 20 times for that mount quest. =/

mileS said:

Probably. I just thought there were specific tanking/dps gear still. If there's major overlap, then I could go bear/cat, boomkin/heals.

What say you druid folk up on this stuff?

Either way, I'm finally stoked to play an alt!

EDIT: looks like CarbonatedFalcon has the info. Thanks!

notworksafe

I think tonight I'll head over to Badlands (what level is this zone) and do The Day Deathwing Came and then go to Swamp of Sorrows so I can do the quests around ST and mourn its passing.

Anything else I should see on my Druid before I hit 60? I'll go back and do some things on my 80 Paladin but I'd like to do quests that are awesome and give me some XP as well (so 50-60 range). :D

mcrae said:
question.. if my account status is frozen... is that something blizzard implimented, or is that just what happens when time runs out?
Means time ran out.

mcrae

question.. if my account status is frozen... is that something blizzard implimented, or is that just what happens when time runs out?

So i've been playing an undead rogue to experience some of the new content. Tbh i was kinda disappointed by Tirisfal Glades, theres some awful design choices in the zone. I was dying A LOT once I was out of deathknell, and the only graveyard is at Brill so I had to do an awful lot of running. The Scarlet Crusade mini storyline was kinda interesting but didn't really go anywhere.

Then I got to silverpine and lol, bit of a contrast. Amazing zone, every quest you do follows a storyline that comes to a satisfying (if a little odd) conclusion. Would have been nice if Sylvanas got a bit more voice over and the worgen too but hey, minor complaints.

I do think the effort to beef up the Forsaken's lore is pretty awesome too. Before they were just vengeful evil undead, now they seem to have much more personality and with the lich king dead trying to find a purpose. They are still totally evil though.

Oh and "Welcome to the Machine" is clearly the best quest of cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom