• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinity

Shadowlink283 said:
I just started a dk and it hasn't changed at all, the quest line is still the same, don't know if its going to change though
I doubt the DK quests and progression will change. In fact I wouldn't expect any changes to BC and WOTLK content.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:
Are there major changes in Duskwood and Redridge? Anything specific to the Worgen? As you can see above I'm trying to plan the optimal Worgen leveling route to see the best Cata changes.

There is some Worgen lore in Duskwood, but the zone itself hasn't change a lot. You still kill lots of worgens & undeads and do the Abercombrie questline(although he is now at a tower to the east of Darkshire, and the end of the chain is cooler).

Redridge changed a lot, for the better. But nothing about Worgens.

The only time i saw some Worgen lore in Eastern Kingdoms is in Duskwood & Blasted Lands. I think i saw a worgen or two in WPL & STV too. Haven't touched the dwarves zones much or Wetland, Arathi & Hinterlands, so i cant say whats in there for Alliance.

Tacitus_ said:
Most of the capital cities are ghost towns already.
Why is that? I thought removing portals would increase population in the old cities?

Or is everyone only hanging out in Org and SW now and ignoring everything else? Or maybe people are out questing in the new content.

Tamanon

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Why is that? I thought removing portals would increase population in the old cities?

Or is everyone only hanging out in Org and SW now and ignoring everything else? Or maybe people are out questing in the new content.

Org and SW will have the portals to the new zones and have the new dailies to boot.

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:

There's my answer. It's reminiscent of the early days of Vanilla.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
About to do Silverpine on my lowbie Troll Hunter. Figured I'd do all the Horde zones on Eastern Kingdoms I can for him since my Tauren Paladin went through Kalimdor and is about to head into Thousand Needles via Dustwallow Marsh, and my eventual Goblin Mage will gun through Ashenvale (skipped half of it on the Paladin) then breeze through Stonetalon again before heading into Desolace->Feralas instead of Southern Barrens->Dustwallow.

Also have a Dwarf Shaman (which will sadly be my 2nd Shaman) laying about with 500g in the event that I get bored next year.

Hopefully by the end of it I'll have at least a few 60+ characters beside my two 80s, as well as going through the majority of the revamped zones on both factions. I feel like such a nerd.

LiveWire

Ridli said:
Nothing has changed in outland or northrend (aside from portals). Your BC and Wrath content is all intact.

Awesome, good to know, thank you!

Only race I never saw their starting 1-20 level quests was Trolls, so I'm happy I got to see almost all of the original starting areas prior to the cataclysm. Though I must say, the new starting area quests are fantastic so far...especially Lieutenant Horatio Laine... :lol

Bisnic

LiveWire said:
Awesome, good to know, thank you!

Only race I never saw their starting 1-20 level quests was Trolls, so I'm happy I got to see almost all of the original starting areas prior to the cataclysm. Though I must say, the new starting area quests are fantastic so far...especially Lieutenant Horatio Laine... :lol

Trolls & orcs always had the same starting zone prior to 4.0.3a though. So if you made an orc before, you already know how the troll one was.

Got to 80 on my paladin. It was nice dinging, then checking the queue and already being eligible for heroics.

I'm going to start running regular ICC 5s tonight as a healer. Should be good times.

Effect

There is a Worgen druid trainer in the pond/lake area of Stormwind City. I came across her last night while wandering around that area. She's in the house below the steps lead down to there.

LiveWire

Bisnic said:
Trolls & orcs always had the same starting zone prior to 4.0.3a though. So if you made an orc before, you already know how the troll one was.

Ah, OK. Did they give them separate starting areas now? Or is it still the same, but with updated quests? I'm guessing the same, gnomes are probably still stuck near Ironforge.

Entropia

No One Remembers
LiveWire said:
Ah, OK. Did they give them separate starting areas now? Or is it still the same, but with updated quests? I'm guessing the same, gnomes are probably still stuck near Ironforge.

Trolls have their own starting area on Echo Isles which they reclaimed.

notworksafe

LiveWire said:
Gnomes and Trolls have fully redone starting areas. They are both quite cool as well.

Bisnic

LiveWire said:

Gnomes start in Gnomeregan now(outside the actual instance though). Not that little valley where dwarves are. And like someone said, trolls have the Echo Isles now.

Acidote said:
Update on my troll druid. I got it to Outland a few days ago, and the itch to play was suddenly gone. Abandoned for now :lol
Haha. This is exactly what I did for 2 freaking characters over the last few weeks.

Got them to 60 really fast then I played some BC content and wanted to murder myself. SHELVED

TurtleSnatcher said:
Haha. This is exactly what I did for 2 freaking characters over the last few weeks.

Got them to 60 really fast then I played some BC content and wanted to murder myself. SHELVED
I don't mind BC content. The dungeons are fun. Lich King, on the other hand, bores me to tears. Different strokes!

webrunner

What they should do is retune at least one of the other Outland zones to be 60-62, so at least subsequent playthroughs don't have the dang same zone to do.

Or, take Silithus and Deadwind Pass and make them 60-70:p

Owensboro

TurtleSnatcher said:

At that point you just leave a character in an Inn for a week, and then do some Group Finder instances. The instant you hit 65ish head to Northrend. I plan on skipping as much of the Outland content as I possible can except for the fun instances there.

The Lamonster said:
Here's the current plan:

1-12 Gilneas
12-20 Darkshore
20-25 Ashenvale
25-30 Stonetalon Mountains
30-35 Desolace
35-40 Feralas
40-45 Thousand Needles
45-50 Tanaris
50-55 Winterspring
55-60 Blasted Lands

Will I be missing out on anything seriously awesome by doing this path? Kinda concerned it doesn't cover STV, Swamp of Sorrows, Duskwood, Wetlands...are there many changes to these areas? What about Un'Goro? Is that a cool zone now?

Honestly, you're probably going to have to just plan on doing two new characters alliance side if you want to see all the neat zones. I just stared a Gnome Priest and the new Gnome starting area is really neat. From there a friend and I went with the human progression of Elwin Forest [boring, not much changed, except for the Hogger encounter], Westfall [great questline including the Deadmines], and Redridge [also a pretty great questline, with my 2 favorite quests at the end] so far. We're going to hit Duskwood, then probably STV. I plan on doing the other continent quests with either a Night Elf or Draenei.

I've leveled my gnome disc priest up to 41 and have really been enjoying the healing/dps capabilities. Atonement/smite works very well, at least for the lower level instances. I've enjoyed disc so much in fact that I haven't even tried shadow or holy yet, despite having trained dual spec. Even solo questing hasn't been that bad. But I had a question about the Rapture talent (link). Does it return mana for every power word: shield cast (including the tank and other members of the group), or only for power word: shield cast on myself?

Evlar

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I've leveled my disc priest up to 41 and have really been enjoying the healing/dps capabilities. Atonement/smite works very well, at least for the lower level instances. I've enjoyed disc so much in fact that I haven't even tried shadow or holy yet, despite having trained dual spec. Even solo questing hasn't been that bad. But I had a question about the Rapture talent (link). Does it return mana for every power word: shield cast (including the tank and other members of the group), or only for power word: shield cast on myself?
It returns mana on any PWS cast by you on anyone. It's a bedrock mana efficiency talent for Disc. The "effect occurs only once every 12 seconds" portion of the talent limits it from turning from "great" to "outrageously OP, free mana forever" when you spam shields.

It's one of the reasons you should refresh PWS on the tank every time Weakened Soul fades.

Aurarian

Finished up all of the zones last night(except Ashenvale and Cape). They're bugged apparently. =( Now I'm just doing random achievements(one more reputation for Exalted title) and leveling my Blacksmithing since I neglected it completely once I was able to socket my gloves and bracers. :lol

What is the minimum you need for training up to Illustrious? I was thinking it was 425 but I broke 440 just in case. It's gonna be tough as fuck for me to level that since I started Wrath with Mining/JC before I switched because it was better for my main back then and still is probably with the addition of all that pre-raid gear armor I saw on MMO. Need to find an ore whore.

I'm also thinking of changing my starter zone for next Tuesday to be Vash'jir instead of Hyjal since there's a dungeon there that I believe 80's can go into right off the bat? Not to mention that I think Hyjal will be spectacular (At least I hope). The place is so rich in lore and history in this game that if it comes out being kinda crappy, I would be pissed. :lol

Evlar said:
It returns mana on any PWS cast by you on anyone. It's a bedrock mana efficiency talent for Disc. The "effect occurs only once every 12 seconds" portion of the talent limits it from turning from "great" to "outrageously OP, free mana forever" when you spam shields.

It's one of the reasons you should refresh PWS on the tank every time Weakened Soul fades.
Ah this is excellent news! The only issues i've had, and this only on occasion, is going oom during instances (i have not had any mana issues while questing). For whatever reason I put a talent point into borrowed time first, and the 2nd point into Rapture. Will fill up Rapture with my next two talent points. Thanks!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I have a friend who is just starting this game and he asked me what class he should be. I told him about DPS, Tanks, Healers and Hybrids and he asked me, which is the easiest to learn? What do you guys think, cuz ive only really played as a paladin and recently a druid.

webrunner

Trin3785 said:
I have a friend who is just starting this game and he asked me what class he should be. I told him about DPS, Tanks, Healers and Hybrids and he asked me, which is the easiest to learn? What do you guys think, cuz ive only really played as a paladin and recently a druid.

Priest and Mage and Restoration druids are the classes that so far don't have an extra resource mechanic beyond "MANA BAR", so it might be worth looking at that?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
webrunner said:
Priest and Mage and Restoration druids are the classes that so far don't have an extra resource mechanic beyond "MANA BAR", so it might be worth looking at that?

Nice, Ill tell him to try Mage or rogue then! I dont think he is really into healing but ill let him know that those are other options to get him used to the games core mechanics and tendancies. thanks!

Trin3785 said:
Nice, Ill tell him to try Mage or rogue then! I dont think he is really into healing but ill let him know that those are other options to get him used to the games core mechanics and tendancies. thanks!
Paladin is a great starter class. Plus, if he likes the character he'll be able to fulfill any role in the game besides ranged dps without having to re-roll.

Bisnic

Trin3785 said:

Mage is easy to learn. Cast Fireball or Frostbolt or Arcane Blast most of the time. Use Frost Nova if they get too close. Loot corpses. Repeat.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
SnakeswithLasers said:
Paladin is a great starter class. Plus, if he likes the character he'll be able to fulfill any role in the game besides ranged dps without having to re-roll.

I told to try them first but he doesnt wanna be one since my main is one :\
Ill see if i can "show him the light" :D

Effect

Trin3785 said:

I've found Warrior and Paladin to be the easiest to learn. Paladin can spice things up a bit with healing and offensive spells but overall it's easy to get into to. I'd suggest that over Warrior though because pure melee or very straight forward classes can get a bit boring at times. With a Paladin you can be defensive, support, or purely offensive. So there is some variety there once the player gets used to the class and game later on. You get some of everything in the end. I'm bias though as my only 80 is a Paladin but I think the class gives new players a good impression and won't bore (melee and more melee) or frustrate them (can't take any damage due to wearing cloth) the way some other pure classes can.

Shaman might be good as well since it has that type of variety as well but I've never really played one. I think hybrid classes prepare you better to play other classes. I've always felt this as far back as Everquest 1 where Rangers and Paladins clicked more with me then any other class.

Macattk15

Mage is extremely boring playstyle to me. They seem like they are the class with the fewest abilities in my playthroughs.

I did switch to Frost and enjoy the "proc reaction" playstyle more than the spam Arcane Blast playstyle. Haven't tried Fire since 4.0.3a.

Leveling a Ret Paladin was also very boring. Judge > Crusader Strike > Wait > Judge > Crusader to 3 > Templar's ..... just very boring. Got more fun when Art of War was unlocked but still not that exciting. Better than it was in Vanilla however.

Warrior is my favorite class in the game. Haven't played it since before the changes to all their talents though ... will be starting anew with a Worgen come Cata.

I've always liked melee classes more than casters though :(

Trin3785 said:
I told to try them first but he doesnt wanna be one since my main is one :\
Ill see if i can "show him the light" :D
Nice pun. =)

I can understand his concern. But paladin and druid are those classes that two people can roll and enjoy playing together. Try to explain again how fuck-awesome pallys are.

I may just be in paladin heaven as mine just hit 80 and I've decided she'll be my new main for cata.

TheExodu5

Banned
Effect said:
I've found Warrior and Paladin to be the easiest to learn. Paladin can spice things up a bit with healing and offensive spells but overall it's easy to get into to. I'd suggest that over Warrior though because pure melee or very straight forward classes can get a bit boring at times. With a Paladin you can be defensive, support, or purely offensive. So there is some variety there once the player gets used to the class and game later on. You get some of everything in the end. I'm bias though as my only 80 is a Paladin but I think the class gives new players a good impression and won't bore (melee and more melee) or frustrate them (can't take any damage due to wearing cloth) the way some other pure classes can.

Shaman might be good as well since it has that type of variety as well but I've never really played one. I think hybrid classes prepare you better to play other classes. I've always felt this as far back as Everquest 1 where Rangers and Paladins clicked more with me then any other class.

Mage is pretty easy. Or Druid for variety.

If I were just making one, I'd definitely go Druid just because it opens so much to you. My main is a Rogue, and it really is quite limiting. I'll be making a Druid come Cata.

I really like my Paladin too. He's only 35, but Protection spec is pretty awesome at these low levels.

hen doing quests I basically never have to ever worry about pulling too much at a time (I can pretty easily AoE tank down four even-level, non-elite mobs at a time without ever being in real danger. Single targets die pretty fast too, more than acceptable for a class with so much survivability.

I've also never had to wait more than a minute to in a dungeon finder queue. Usually it pops up almost immediately after I select tank. Once there, I'm in control of the run and the people around me can be the very stereotype of "WoW players" and we still finish the run just fine provided the healer is half competent.

It's a very good starter class, with exceptional small group utility and versatility that doesn't lock you into a role the minute you create the character. Druid is good for this as well for a lot of the same reasons.

Nelf Hunters are easy too, especially for soloing. A bunch of "oh shit" savior spells too, like feign death, shadowmeld, pet taunting, concussive shot, wing clip, readiness, etc etc etc

Fragamemnon said:
I really like my Paladin too. He's only 35, but Protection spec is pretty awesome at these low levels.

hen doing quests I basically never have to ever worry about pulling too much at a time (I can pretty easily AoE tank down four even-level, non-elite mobs at a time without ever being in real danger. Single targets die pretty fast too, more than acceptable for a class with so much survivability.

I've also never had to wait more than a minute to in a dungeon finder queue. Usually it pops up almost immediately after I select tank. Once there, I'm in control of the run and the people around me can be the very stereotype of "WoW players" and we still finish the run just fine provided the healer is half competent.

It's a very good starter class, with exceptional small group utility and versatility that doesn't lock you into a role the minute you create the character. Druid is good for this as well for a lot of the same reasons.
God I love pallies.

You're going to be in the same boat from 35-80 (and probably 85...). Prot leveling is just super delicious. It's almost impossible to pull too much while soloing, and if you do, you have amazing "oh shit" buttons.

Edit: And anytime you want to take a break from soloing, the group queue as a tank is almost always instant. And when it's not, I always have both healer and tank checked off, so I get an instant dungeon no matter what.

notworksafe

Anymore, Ret leveling (for quests) is superior. The increased stamina on DPS gear combined with the preposterous damage that Ret does at lower levels gives you the "never die" benefit of Prot with tons more damage.

SnakeswithLasers said:
God I love pallies.

You're going to be in the same boat from 35-80 (and probably 85...). Prot leveling is just super delicious. It's almost impossible to pull too much while soloing, and if you do, you have amazing "oh shit" buttons.

Edit: And anytime you want to take a break from soloing, the group queue as a tank is almost always instant. And when it's not, I always have both healer and tank checked off, so I get an instant dungeon no matter what.
haha coincidence from my post right above yours? got to love the "oh shit's" :lol

Bisnic

notworksafe said:
Anymore, Ret leveling (for quests) is superior. The increased stamina on DPS gear combined with the preposterous damage that Ret does at lower levels gives you the "never die" benefit of Prot with tons more damage.

With my ret pally, i kill everything in 2 or 3 hits of Crusader Strike/Templar/Exorcism. All that with my only boa being the axe. And if its an undead or demon, 1 proc of instant powerful exorcism can almost 1 shot them.

Bisnic

notworksafe said:
Yeah Templar's Verdict is seriously amazing while leveling.

Yeah, i'd say that in first 30 levels, if i attack a fresh monster with already 3 stacks in Holy Power, he could die in 1 hit of Templar and the auto attack that follow.

Effect

Tacitus_ said:
No new capital cities for Trolls, Goblins, Gnomes or Worgen.

Most of the capital cities are ghost towns already.

That is a shame. I was running around the Ruins of Gilneas last night and it looks pretty nice. Shame it won't be used other then for the Worgen beginning. It would make for an interesting Forsaken vs Alliance beachhead now that the Alliance has lost what foothold they had in Hillsbrad.

Door2Dawn

Banned
notworksafe said:
Too bad it all goes to shit when you hit 80 and eventually 85 :(

Aesthet1c

I don't understand the need for a Cataclysm OT. It seems like it just splits the community, and then you have the same discussion going in both threads, but each of them containing different information.

notworksafe

Eh, it's nice to have something in Gaming side. People still rarely check out Online Community side.

For the last two WoW threads I made, I pointed people to this thread. Then after the Gaming side thread dies down the people who decide to play come hang out here.

EDIT: Being in the guild with the most GAF people, I can confirm that Gaming side threads do quite a lot to attract new people. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom