• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Effect said:
Does anyone know anything about there not being cinematics in the downloaded version of Cataclysm? That they aren't included in the patch but only on the dvd and to have them you have to install the expansion from the disc? Is this true?
You just download them later.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fragamemnon said:
I'm in Desolace now and it's pretty meh. Wish I had gone to Southern Barrens instead. (this is Horde side).

I haven't played WoW in 4 years and I am about to start playing it again this week. I thought Desolace was supposed to be all forresty now? That kind of kills my anticipation if it's boring.

Trojita said:
I haven't played WoW in 4 years and I am about to start playing it again this week. I thought Desolace was supposed to be all forresty now? That kind of kills my anticipation if it's boring.

Don't get me wrong-it's WAY better than it used to be, and the Cenarion Circle has made a huge part of the zone lush and verdant. It's got some interesting things-the story of a Blood Elf archeologist, the first glimpse of the tussel between the Naga and Neptulon, etc. It's a cool zone and has been OK to quest there.

However, coming off Ashenvale and Stonetalon, which are downright incredible, it seems a bit more segmented and not as smooth. Southern Barrens, on the other hand, looks like another warzone with the Alliance incursion there.

No matter what, if you haven't played WoW in four years, you will say wow at the new zones.

Edit: this evaluation is with respect to theme, lore, and story. In terms of meat and potatoes of questing, Desolace is pretty on par with the other zones-focused quest areas, appropriate rewards and XP, and varied things to accomplish and do when resolving quests.

notworksafe

Okay, I guess I'll bust out a quick OT for Cata. So here's what I'm thinking of tossing in there:

Goblin/Worgen
Archeology and new Profession stuff
New Zones w/ maps and their 5 man dungeons
New Raids
T11/PVP S9 maybe?
Links to various wow sites and this thread

Anything I'm missing? Also Lamonster, can I get your character names so I can tell people who to contact if they want to play with Alliance-GAF?

Also are there any GAF groupings in Euro land? Who should I put as a person to contact, if anyone?

Any ideas on when to post it? Tonight? Or should I wait til Monday?

Narag

notworksafe said:
Okay, I guess I'll bust out a quick OT for Cata. So here's what I'm thinking of tossing in there:

Goblin/Worgen
New Raids
T11/PVP S9 maybe?

Anything I'm missing? Also Lamonster, can I get your character names so I can tell people who to contact if they want to play with Alliance-GAF?

Also are there any GAF groupings in Euro land? Who should I put as a person to contact, if anyone?

Sooner the better.

Entropia

No One Remembers
notworksafe said:

Goblin/Worgen
New Raids
T11/PVP S9 maybe?

That pretty much covers everything, I think.

Kyoufu said:
You can go there at 65 and grind on the rhinos in borean tundra. Great exp.
It may be more efficient to just run randoms in BC. Good money to be made, and with a good pug (which shouldn't be too hard to find, especially if you heal or tank), the levels will fly by.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For those of you making new goblin/worgen alts, what professions will you be going?

IIRC Mining/Herbalism was pretty difficult at BC launch, but I guess people are stockpiling those things now considering their prices on the AH.

Manus

Halycon said:
For those of you making new goblin/worgen alts, what professions will you be going?

IIRC Mining/Herbalism was pretty difficult at BC launch, but I guess people are stockpiling those things now considering their prices on the AH.

I'm rolling a Worgen healer. Haven't decided if I want a Priest or a Druid, but the professions I'm going to be doing is Herbalism/Alchemy. I already have Enchanting/Tailoring on my main and JC/Mining on my alt. So I should pretty much have every profession I like on my alts.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I want a Goblinlock but I'm wary of the queue times when i could just as easily go Warrior, Shaman or Priest and enjoy the insta-q goodness.

SquirrelNuckle said:
I'm rolling a Worgen healer. Haven't decided if I want a Priest or a Druid, but the professions I'm going to be doing is Herbalism/Alchemy. I already have Enchanting/Tailoring on my main and JC/Mining on my alt. So I should pretty much have every profession I like on my alts.
Just curious, are Druids cloth or leather armor users? Worgens have a passive racial ability that provides them with faster skinning. Skinning of course goes well with leather working, see where I'm going with this?

Manus

Reluctant-Hero said:
Just curious, are Druids cloth or leather armor users? Worgens have a passive racial ability that provides them with faster skinning. Skinning of course goes well with leather working, see where I'm going with this?

Yeah, I wouldn't get a lot out of leatherworking though. With Alchemy I can make my own flasks instead of bugging my friend for some or buying them from the AH.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Halycon said:
I want a Goblinlock but I'm wary of the queue times when i could just as easily go Warrior, Shaman or Priest and enjoy the insta-q goodness.
It's nice to have a little bit of a pad between queues and tank queues aren't instant as you level. I just find that unless you want to run dungeons absolutely non-stop it's a non-issue while leveling, since you can do 3 or 4 quests in the 8 minutes it takes for a queue to pop.

Sai-kun

Banned
notworksafe said:

Goblin/Worgen
New Raids
T11/PVP S9 maybe?

Toniiiiight!

Soroc

notworksafe said:

Goblin/Worgen
New Raids
T11/PVP S9 maybe?

I would put the link to the spreadsheets for the influx of people looking for a gaf guild for either faction :D

As I'm sure people will ask in the OT

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Gah, I'm having a hard time thinking of a name for a Worgen character and registering it. This is the most populated RP-PVP server in Europe so it's very tough, and it might be worth keeping this character for playing with Alliance Gaf buddies.

All the best english/gaelic names are taken and I really got lucky with compound names for my warrior. Hit Darkbrand and Skybrand but I don't want something that cheesy this time. How do people manage naming characters when their are naming policies?

Ed: And is there even a highly populated Gaf guild for EU Alliance? In the spreadsheet I see two characters on Agrimmar(sp?)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
for some reason i like the letter V so usually i name my characters starting with a V and try to find a V word i can adjust. For my main i used the name Valkarus which was an attempt to make the word Valkyrie into an original name. Soooo i just took the Valk and added arus since sounds like a fantasy name to me.... yeah.... i know ... i am nerd.....:lol

I wonder if theres any chance of me getting my Burning Crusade Collector's Edition pets.

The European CE was a fuck up all the key codes were standard edition so anyone with CE had to send a bunch of stuff to Blizzard. For whatever reason my pets never got activated and my account is still labled as standard.

I still have the CE and all the contents, an online proof of purchase and as luck would have it the original paper copy that came with it.

I've given Blizzard support an email.

I mean I don't really need them, but it would be nice. I did pay for them after all, albeit nearly nearly 4 years ago lol.

notworksafe

Weenerz said:
I don't really see the point of having an OT when we have this topic. It's public viewable now, so it's not a huge secret.
I think I explained this already but there are a few reasons. Not everyone knows about or visits this thread regularly. Not everyone keeps up on WoW news, even things we consider to be big. I know my guild got a big shot of people joining with the last two threads. 20-25 at least. Seems there were also people that started playing all over because the thread brought the newest patch to their attention. Also it looks nice to have an OT out there.

If a pile of shit like FFXIV gets an OT, Cataclysm should as well. :D

Soroc said:
I would put the link to the spreadsheets for the influx of people looking for a gaf guild for either faction :D

As I'm sure people will ask in the OT
Will do!

Also any volunteers for being posted in the OT as a Scroll donor? I've given out all 5 of mine so I'm out of the running. Please specify if you're US or EU if you want to be on the scroll list.

KJTB

ACE 1991 said:
Thinking about buying a bubbler. Does GAF like them?

Like... for smoking? I think you might have posted in the wrong thread :lol

Or maybe I'm just ignorant of something here

KJTB

Well I guess if we're kinda sorta on the topic I'll throw in my opinion.

Bubblers are definitely nice/worth it. I have one but it hasn't seen use in a while since me and my roommates have a bong. They're pretty convenient because they're small, which is definitely a plus. The only annoyance about them is maintenance... they do need to be cleaned somewhat often because they tend to get dirty quickly and stink really easily.

Vape>Bong>Blunt>Joint>Bubbler>Pipe imo

mcrae

notworksafe said:
Also any volunteers for being posted in the OT as a Scroll donor? I've given out all 5 of mine so I'm out of the running. Please specify if you're US or EU if you want to be on the scroll list.

what are these scrolls?
i play on bleeding hollow, so not sure if i could help

ACE 1991

Dipindots said:
Well I guess if we're kinda sorta on the topic I'll throw in my opinion.

Bubblers are definitely nice/worth it. I have one but it hasn't seen use in a while since me and my roommates have a bong. They're pretty convenient because they're small, which is definitely a plus. The only annoyance about them is maintenance... they do need to be cleaned somewhat often because they tend to get dirty quickly and stink really easily.

Vape>Bong>Blunt>Joint>Bubbler>Pipe imo

Fair enough. I just miss glass :lol since all I use is my vape.

Thanks for the input, however we should probably kill this discussion :lol

Ridli

notworksafe said:

I just checked and I have all 5 available. US account. You can list me.

notworksafe

mcrae said:
what are these scrolls?
i play on bleeding hollow, so not sure if i could help
Scroll of Resurrection. It gives a 10 day trial to the recipient and a free month to you when they subscribe for a month. All you need to give one out is the recipents battle.net email or character and server name.

You can find them in your WoW account info page under Referrals and Rewards.

Retro

Thnikkaman said:
Gah, I'm having a hard time thinking of a name for a Worgen character and registering it.

I'm all over the place with names. I have a Belf Paladin named Eresia (Italian), a few lucky name snags (Lenneth, Celene, Blackblade), petitioned a GM for a few (Howitzer), and managed to get some semi-creative ones (my latest, an undead rogue named Starkweather).

I guess my advice would be... look around and think on it. I know that's not much help, but that's the best way to do it.

ACE 1991 said:
Thanks for the input, however we should probably kill this discussion :lol

Actually, given the addictive nature of Warcraft... :lol

mcrae

notworksafe said:
Scroll of Resurrection. It gives a 10 day trial to the recipient and a free month to you when they subscribe for a month. All you need to give one out is the recipents battle.net email or character and server name.

oh i see... just checked, i have 5 remaining, toss me on the list of people willing to give them out

edit: going to ask this question again, has anyone considered farming twilight texts in silithus(i think thats the zone) for selling on the AH? good gold-making strat? im level 72 and need another 1.5k for my fast flying

also, do i need to buy the 2nd-fastest flying training in order to be allowed to buy the very fast one, or can i skip it?

ALSO, is fishing a viable money-maker? getting reagents for high end elixers? i used to do that semi-often during vanilla, had contacts with the 3 biggest raiding guilds on the server and send them weekly shipments COD. was a pretty sweet deal actually

Entropia

No One Remembers
MattPeters said:
Is there a addon that will allow me to sort the character select screen? My OCD wants to sort them by level.

Sadly no, and Blizzard really hasn't budged on letting people re-arrange them.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Flib said:
They're already in the game anyway.

Desolace or Southern Barrens?
If you're talking about Horde then I barely touched Desolace, and by barely I mean heading into the zone to hand in the first quest and get the flight path. Southern Barrens was quite nice and easy to do, showing that even with all the gruff attitude there is still incompetence at the higher levels that needs to be sorted out (ala Stonetalon).

You learn the fate of old mate Stonespire, the Tauren who patrols nearby Bael Modan and occasionally got raped by bored Alliance players back in the old days. There is also some more story added to Mankrik and the Earthen Ring at the tail-end of the zone.

mcrae said:
ALSO, is fishing a viable money-maker? getting reagents for high end elixers? i used to do that semi-often during vanilla, had contacts with the 3 biggest raiding guilds on the server and send them weekly shipments COD. was a pretty sweet deal actually
Yes, it still is. Not only are fish used for reagents by Alchemists still, but they're also used in the top cooking "feasts" that buff anyone who eats from it for 10 seconds.

Sai-kun

Banned
notworksafe said:

You can put me on the list. What info do you need from me?

Just downed Lich King for the first time (10-man) :lol

Could have/would have had it way sooner if I hadn't quit for about 6 months and then switched guilds. What's funny is that I still don't have Valithria or Blood Queen kills on 10. Have everything but Lich King himself on 25.

But yeah, felt good to get the "final boss" of the expansion down, even if it wasn't 25 or heroic 25. I'm still tense over not finishing Glory of the Ulduar raider or downing Yogg and Algalon though. Yogg I was sick the one week my old guild downed him, Algalon (for 25 at least) I was kind of failing in my first few attempts in a new guild, so I got pulled from that, and GotUR I've only been a few achieves from finishing for like a year, but getting people organized and pushing through to the later bosses I actually need is like herding cats.

I suppose I'll get a chance to do that content again with the guild achieves for those instances at 85. I'm a little let down, but overall fairly satisfied with what I accomplished in terms of raiding this expansion.

J-Rzez

Awww... all you guys worrying about having to install the data when you get home, and instead want to just jump right into it. I welcome the install, as I have nothing to do for 3 hours waiting for the servers to get flipped on after I buy the game. Who am I kidding, I'll be sleeping, passed out from drinking too much before the servers online. Blizzard's giving me an alcohol problem. I won't sue them if they get that dance studio out.

Ridli

mcrae said:
edit: going to ask this question again, has anyone considered farming twilight texts in silithus(i think thats the zone) for selling on the AH? good gold-making strat? im level 72 and need another 1.5k for my fast flying

Check the prices on your server really. Something like this is only worthwhile if people are rep grinding. If texts are fetching a fair price, go for it. But we're not going to be able to know what your server economy is like.

But honestly, if you're only concerned with making a grand and a half, quest it out. You're under level 80 already so any time you spend grinding on low level mobs is wasted time you could be spending leveling to 80 where you can do more lucrative daily quests. Or even questing through Icecrown and Storm Peaks at max level for a sizeable cash payout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom