• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wait a minute.

I thought there were leveling sets?

Where the hell is 1-10? Nothing in Durotar. Well, I'm 90% done with the zone, level 10, but I saw nothing and only leveled trough quests alone.

jG9ho.jpg

Effect

It's not a case of people not knowing any better either. The NBG setup is easy to understand. It's people just being jerks if not worse, especially after you call them on it. I've left groups do to this. I rarely do dungeons in WoW but I've gated out of a few in Everquest 2 due to people acting like this. I apologized to the others but I'll be damned if I'm spending as much time as everyone else and pulling my own weight for some warrior or rogue to spin on an item I or another clearly as casters could use or even need. Not everyone is running a 1st or 2nd or 3rd alt.

ultron87

Teaching my newbie friends what to roll on is going to be interesting. I first taught them that "you should greed unless it's an upgrade" but unfortunately I didn't quite ram home what an upgrade would be for them.

When my friend playing a hunter greeded on a Armor of the Fang I literally facepalmed.

Thankfully it isn't a big deal, since we are tearing through the levels with triple xp and will get better gear very soon.

ultron87 said:
Teaching my newbie friends what to roll on is going to be interesting. I first taught them that "you should greed unless it's an upgrade" but unfortunately I didn't quite ram home what an upgrade would be for them.

When my friend playing a hunter greeded on a Armor of the Fang I literally facepalmed.

Thankfully it isn't a big deal, since we are tearing through the levels with triple xp and will get better gear very soon.
At least you're there to guide him. I had to learn EVERYTHING on my own. It took me over a year to get to 80!

The trade chat alone is like learning a whole new language.

ultron87

I need to hit up Shadowfang when I get home to get my fancy lowbie priest quest staff. This will also help me get better at group healing since I accidentally let the tank die once last night because I was targetted on the wrong person. :lol

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
Wait a minute.

I thought there were leveling sets?

Where the hell is 1-10? Nothing in Durotar. Well, I'm 90% done with the zone, level 10, but I saw nothing and only leveled trough quests alone.

jG9ho.jpg
Are they really sets? Or just gear the looks like it goes together... like Wrath gear, where everything from a given patch and armor type is thematically consistent, and opposed to BC's clown suits.

My 33 Shaman has no true "set" gear (with set bonuses) but the quest green stuff I'm replacing right now looks more-or-less like the 20-30 leather gear in that snapshot. Color-swapped textures.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Evlar said:
Are they really sets? Or just gear the looks like it goes together... like Wrath gear, where everything from a given patch and armor type is thematically consistent, and opposed to BC's clown suits.

My 33 Shaman has no true "set" gear (with set bonuses) but the quest green stuff I'm replacing right now looks more-or-less like the 20-30 leather gear in that snapshot. Color-swapped textures.
Well, I did notice that a lot of the gear I was getting offered through quests had new a different icon.

But I have a heirloom chest and haven't noticed the new patterns.

You're probably right. :)

Effect said:
It's not a case of people not knowing any better either. The NBG setup is easy to understand. It's people just being jerks if not worse, especially after you call them on it. I've left groups do to this. I rarely do dungeons in WoW but I've gated out of a few in Everquest 2 due to people acting like this. I apologized to the others but I'll be damned if I'm spending as much time as everyone else and pulling my own weight for some warrior or rogue to spin on an item I or another clearly as casters could use or even need. Not everyone is running a 1st or 2nd or 3rd alt.
I've found it humorous when a party member will need on some random blue drop from a low-level dungeon and immediately leave the party. It's somewhat annoying, but I think the humor factor outweighs the annoyance for me. As if there is really a need to /leave party for ninja'ing some minor low-level blue. I've seen this happen a couple of times during my priest leveling. Most people in the group just laugh when it happens. I mean it's not like they're getting the mammoth mount from VoA or something. good grief :)

However, I did have a group where the scarlet crusade tabard dropped in SM, and unfortunately, people started rolling greed on it, but since everyone was doing it, I did too. Then this guy is like, FINALLY (as if he had been repeatedly running SM over and over again on his low-level toon :p) "sorry guys, i'm needing this." And then he left. I told him that he was bullshit before he left. People have no shame. And even though it's a game, it tells you something about the person playing. If they're willing to screw people out of something in a game, they're more than likely to do stuff in real life too if they deem whatever it is not significant enough to get into any real trouble. That's my thoughts on that anyway.

Flib

DeathNote said:
Well, I did notice that a lot of the gear I was getting offered through quests had new a different icon.

But I have a heirloom chest and haven't noticed the new patterns.

You're probably right. :)

Yeah, you don't end up with one set, and I think there's more gear than shown above, those are just examples. Either way, my warrior at level 40 has consistently looked like a warrior, and not a space-clown, so that's good.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
While low level gear is mostly trivial, it's a bit of a psychological strain to experience it time and time again. You dread 85 randoms and constantly get reminded of bad experiences.

You being in the group is technially a service to the others. How many times do you want to help someone, small or large, only to get spit on in real life?

In real life it's way more important, maybe someone you trusted stealing money. Maybe a few times a year.

The weight is small but it cn can be hourly or daily. Yes, I know you don't have to do randoms and I'm not going to stop.

Just trying to ponder the potential psychological toll.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My low lvl human paladin clearly used most of the mail/plate gear set shown on the picture, with different color every 5 lvls or so. There were still a few pieces from pre-4.0.3a i think in the 10-20 range though, the different in the quality of textures was very clear.

All they need now is to update the classic races and the sky of the 1-60 zones.

Later, they can try to update Outlands a little. But i guess that is very low on their priority list. Even if its just to add flightpaths on the map or questgivers inside the instances.

DeathNote said:
While low level gear is mostly trivial, it's a bit of a psychological strain to experience it time and time again. You dread 85 randoms and constantly get reminded of bad experiences.
Only too true. There are benefits to having a bunch of RL friends or guildmates to run instances with.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Need help guys, im new to wow, got a friends code and did the triple xp thing with him, alls going well im lvl20 and suddenly im not getting any xp at all, i thought it was because we had just levelled so quick that we had out leveled our quests, but it appears in dungeons even against lvl 19/20 opponents im not getting xp D:.

Im probably naive and doing something wrong, but any help?

I need to create a character on a server with friends--I'd like to make a draenai, but want to try the other starting areas; is there an easy way to move to a different starting area?

Mr Cola said:
Need help guys, im new to wow, got a friends code and did the triple xp thing with him, alls going well im lvl20 and suddenly im not getting any xp at all, i thought it was because we had just levelled so quick that we had out leveled our quests, but it appears in dungeons even against lvl 19/20 opponents im not getting xp D:.

Im probably naive and doing something wrong, but any help?
It's possible that the code was only good for leveling up to 20, but I've never used them, so I don't know for sure. I'll go do some investigating for you.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I need to create a character on a server with friends--I'd like to make a draenai, but want to try the other starting areas; is there an easy way to move to a different starting area?
Boats are your ticket to success. Just go from Exodar to Auberdine, and then you can go to either Darnassus or Stormwind. If you want to get to Dun Morogh, just take the deeprun tram from Stormwind to Ironforge. That will give you access to multiple starting areas. Might have to do some tricky running on the paths inbetween, but you can definitely make it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Deputy Moonman said:
It's possible that the code was only good for leveling up to 20, but I've never used them, so I don't know for sure. I'll go do some investigating for you.
Im lvl 20 and a bit, 3000 xp into it, but im hoping this isnt the case, then again we have played it pretty religiously since i got the code so maybe i have levelled too fast :(, sucks because im having so much fun.

Rapstah

Mr Cola said:
Im lvl 20 and a bit, 3000 xp into it, but im hoping this isnt the case, then again we have played it pretty religiously since i got the code so maybe i have levelled too fast :(, sucks because im having so much fun.
There really isn't supposed to be a limit to how quickly accounts can level (unless you're playing on Chinese or Taiwanese servers for some reason), and Recruit-a-Friend should last you to 60. No idea what's going on.

Evlar

Banned
Mr Cola said:
You're still on a trial account. You can't level above 20 until you upgrade to a full Vanilla WoW account.

(That's my guess, it's the only reason you would be unable to gain any XP at all.)

Mr Cola

curses then, its not the same if i cant level with my friend :(

Rapstah

Evlar said:
You're still on a trial account. You can't level above 20 until you upgrade to a full Vanilla WoW account.

(That's my guess, it's the only reason you would be unable to gain any XP at all.)
Is that really it? I thought I saw people posting in this thread about how they were trying to get to 60 before their RAF trial ran out.

Mr Cola

it seems odd that i stopped leveling into 20 and not at 20?

Evlar

Banned
Rapstah said:
Is that really it? I thought I saw people posting in this thread about how they were trying to get to 60 before their RAF trial ran out.
The RAF persists for 90 days (I think), but that's separate from the trial account issue. Even after he buys WoW he'll continue to get the bonus RAF xp and the other perks until those 90 days run out (worldwide teleportation to your friend, etc.)

EDIT: From the FAQ- http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20588
When my friend or family member upgrades from a trial account to a full version of the game, will that break the link between the accounts?

Nope! The accounts will remain linked for 90 days regardless of which client your recruit is using.
Note: Your friend or family member will be required to upgrade should he or she wish to continue playing past the 10-day trial period.

Mr Cola

Evlar said:
The RAF persists for 90 days (I think), but that's separate from the trial account issue. Even after he buys WoW he'll continue to get the bonus RAF xp and the other perks until those 90 days run out (worldwide teleportation to your friend, etc.)
Ah, so despite being a RAF code its just a trial code with RAF tacked on? If so that would explain it, guess i have a decision to make D: i can afford it but is it worth it

Mr Cola said:
Ah, so despite being a RAF code its just a trial code with RAF tacked on? If so that would explain it, guess i have a decision to make D: i can afford it but is it worth it
it's official. level cap at 20. just found the info regarding that.
wow trial account info

The following restrictions are placed on all Classic Trial Accounts:

- A level cap of 20.
- A maximum of 10 gold.
- Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks.
- Inability to trade via the auction house, mailbox, or player-to-player.
- In-Game public chat channels will be unavailable. (Players will still be able to communicate using say, party, or whispers).
- Characters will be unable to create or join existing guilds.
- Accounts will no longer be able to whisper other players unless they have been added to those players' friends lists or have received a whisper from them first.
- Characters will not be able to invite players into a party.
- Characters will not be able to join parties with other players above level 20.
- Voice Chat is disabled on trial accounts.
- Realms with login queues will give priority to customers with retail accounts.
- Will not be eligible for any Character Transfer service.
- RealID features are disabled on trial accounts.
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20590

Mr Cola

Ok cheers for the help guys :] i was freaking out a bit there, shame ive done around 3 hours of quests with no xp D: but still :D ill join you all soon when ive ranked up some im sure

ultron87

We ran into the same problem with trial accounts last night during our Wailing Caverns run. My 2 friends got stuck at 20, but I still rode on the triple XP and got to 22. And I started running instances that night at level 18. Crazy.

Unfortunately I'm broke since we haven't done as many quests as one would have, so I can't buy a mount. (Main is on another server).

ultron87 said:
Unfortunately I'm broke since we haven't done as many quests as one would have, so I can't buy a mount. (Main is on another server).
Mounts are unbelievably inexpensive nowadays. You should be able to purchase the non-epic mounts for less than a gold. That might be with the reputation discount, but they're still very cheap. I forgot about the training though. that's 5g, so you'd be looking at 6g total for the purchase.

If you have any kind of gathering profession, just put a stack of low-level stuff on the AH. You can probably make more than enough from just one stack.

Regarding inscription - it's not something I would necessarily recommend leveling at this point. It's a very gated profession like Jewelcrafting becomes with gem cuts. To get everything, you have to do research every day for a couple of months, as well as buying a bunch of Books of Glyph Mastery (55 I think it takes?), which will become even rarer now that no one will be in Northrend. They were a couple hundred gold at least when they first came out - after awhile I bought all I needed for about 40g, but expect the price to go up again.

The profit potential is there (though I hardly take advantage of it personally at the moment), but it requires a lot of maintenance of auctions since there are so many individual products you can make. I made about 4000g in one day (though that's by far the norm now) they day 4.01 dropped.

Another thing to remember is the ink trading mechanic - glyphs will be more expensive to make using blackfallow ink and trading down for awhile. So you have to take that into consideration.

Macattk15

You can only server xfer single characters right? Blizzard should allow you to move entire servers worth of characters for a slightly higher fee than per character. I'm so sick of my server, but have 5 80's on it that I will eventually want to play after leveling my new Worgen (with full heirlooms on the server) to 85.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Macattk15 said:
You can only server xfer single characters right? Blizzard should allow you to move entire servers worth of characters for a slightly higher fee than per character. I'm so sick of my server, but have 5 80's on it that I will eventually want to play after leveling my new Worgen (with full heirlooms on the server) to 85.

Yeah, different situation but i got tired of having like 4-5 80s spread across different servers a few months ago, and all guildless and/or shitty servers, and said "Fuck it, i will put them all on the same server after i do some research for a decent guild/server".

My wallet cried. Tears made of $.

Deputy Moonman said:
Mounts are unbelievably inexpensive nowadays. You should be able to purchase the non-epic mounts for less than a gold. That might be with the reputation discount, but they're still very cheap. I forgot about the training though. that's 5g, so you'd be looking at 6g total for the purchase.

If you have any kind of gathering profession, just put a stack of low-level stuff on the AH. You can probably make more than enough from just one stack.
Just be sure to have 40g lying around when ding lvl 40 and go train your journeyman riding skill. That was a nice reality check for me, I need to get serious about saving my gold and not blowing on mats to lvl my blacksmithing...

I'm totally loving the game again after playing it for a week and a half. All the changes that cane with Shattering are amazing. But I find myself stuck between choosing to quest and pugging it up with the dungeon finder. I won't be able to play again until Saturday night, I think I'll queue up for the SM cathedral since I've yet to go there. Hopefully I can snag that sweet shield too...

Even with all the new and revamped questing, I seem to care more about leveling up quickly rather than enjoying the new scenery, not that I don't appreciate it. I've just never enjoyed the leveling process, but it is WAY better than it used to be. I've never played a healer before, and I'm really enjoying it. So, I think I've spent more time in instances than anything at this point.

ultron87

Deputy Moonman said:

It's 5 gold if you include the riding skill, I think. Obviously not a big deal. I just need to do a run around gathering some herbs in Darkshore or something and I'd be good. Just a little weird to be broke after having a max level guy for so long.

Edit: The WoW Mobile iPod app is pretty awesome. Just checked to see how much Peacebloom or other herbs I'd need to gather to get my mount based on current AH prices while at work. :lol

Deputy Moonman said:
Even with all the new and revamped questing, I seem to care more about leveling up quickly rather than enjoying the new scenery, not that I don't appreciate it. I've just never enjoyed the leveling process, but it is WAY better than it used to be. I've never played a healer before, and I'm really enjoying it. So, I think I've spent more time in instances than anything at this point.
Nice. I'm the exact opposite of you. I love all the redone questing and even though I keep experiencing cool storylines, I feel like I'm still missing out on all the other cool stuff!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Deputy Moonman said:

I'm sort of the same way, I think it's more to do with the scenery not changing enough. Everything (for the most part) is the same. Sure, there's some new craters and such, but every cave and building is still copy pasted all over. lol

Reluctant-Hero said:
Nice. I'm the exact opposite of you. I love all the redone questing and even though I keep experiencing cool storylines, I feel like I'm still missing out on all the other cool stuff!
I really want to level a horde toon to experience the stonetalon mountains, but then I'd be completely on my own without people to talk with. Does anyone have an opinion on what the best new alliance areas are? I know I've missed stuff, but I don't want to go back and do each zone to find out now that I'm level 43. I did a small portion of stuff in westfall, almost all of duskwood, and almost all of the hinterlands. But everything else has been mostly instances. Well, and there is the gnome starting zone which was pretty cool.

Macattk15

Bisnic said:
Yeah, different situation but i got tired of having like 4-5 80s spread across different servers a few months ago, and all guildless and/or shitty servers, and said "Fuck it, i will put them all on the same server after i do some research for a decent guild/server".

My wallet cried. Tears made of $.

Sadness. Seems I am doomed to remain on Stonemaul.

And god, the Worgen male dance is just so so horrible. Wtf Blizzard?

Macattk15 said:

That would be nice, but unlikely considering how much of a killing Blizzard makes on transfers. Their (publicly stated) reasoning for the high price? So people don't abuse it and transfer often.

I just remembered Linken, is he still around after the shattering? I always wanted to run his quests back when I first played WoW while I was in college.

Macattk15

funkmastergeneral said:
That would be nice, but unlikely considering how much of a killing Blizzard makes on transfers. Their (publicly stated) reasoning for the high price? So people don't abuse it and transfer often.

Dumb. I just wanna do it once and I'd be willing to pay $50 for moving all at once.

Anyone got a good name for a Male Worgen Warrior? Something that fits ... I'm not an RP player however. I do like having names that relate to the character race/class combo though.

I'm drawing blanks :(

Milpool

Reluctant-Hero said:
I just remembered Linken, is he still around after the shattering? I always wanted to run his quests back when I first played WoW while I was in college.

Him and his quest chain are gone I believe.

/cry

Rapstah

Macattk15 said:
Dumb. I just wanna do it once and I'd be willing to pay $50 for moving all at once.

Anyone got a good name for a Male Worgen Warrior? Something that fits ... I'm not an RP player however. I do like having names that relate to the character race/class combo though.

Worgior.

I was on my mage and some cloth boots dropped for me, tank decided to roll and won, I said trade me them and he says they are soulbound, I facepalm so much at the idiots LFD brings up he got kicked soon after

Macattk15 said:

Worgen P. Warrior

Milpool said:
Him and his quest chain are gone I believe.

/cry
I still have that Master Sword reward in my bank :')

UnblessedSoul said:
I was on my mage and some cloth boots dropped for me, tank decided to roll and won, I said trade me them and he says they are soulbound, I facepalm so much at the idiots LFD brings up he got kicked soon after
goddam, I'd vote to kick immediately after seeing that "Need" come up on the screen :lol

Magnus

Listening to the soundtrack; some real gems on here, particularly the remixed versions of old tracks, especially Stormwind.

Nothing as mind-blowing as Storm Peaks was two (TWO!) years ago.

Magnus said:
Listening to the soundtrack; some real gems on here, particularly the remixed versions of old tracks, especially Stormwind.

Nothing as mind-blowing as Storm Peaks was two (TWO!) years ago.

I'm really enjoying the music that I encounter in Goblin/Gnome areas and on the riverboat in Thousand Needles

Magnus

Goddamnit, I really want to explore the opening 12 levels for the Goblin and the Worgen (a la the Death Knight experience from 55-58 two years ago), but I want to devote all the time I get starting Tuesday to just blitzing ahead on my main.

WTB beta access :(

Or wait, is the beta done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom