• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrae

Ridli said:
Check the prices on your server really. Something like this is only worthwhile if people are rep grinding. If texts are fetching a fair price, go for it. But we're not going to be able to know what your server economy is like.

But honestly, if you're only concerned with making a grand and a half, quest it out. You're under level 80 already so any time you spend grinding on low level mobs is wasted time you could be spending leveling to 80 where you can do more lucrative daily quests. Or even questing through Icecrown and Storm Peaks at max level for a sizeable cash payout.

yeah, they are going for about 8-10g a pop. i had some leftover from when i was rep grinding for the AQ epics, so it was nice to get that 80g or so. im just not sure what the drop rate is like

PatzCU

notworksafe said:
Okay, I guess I'll bust out a quick OT for Cata. So here's what I'm thinking of tossing in there:

Goblin/Worgen
Archeology and new Profession stuff
New Zones w/ maps and their 5 man dungeons
New Raids
T11/PVP S9 maybe?
Links to various wow sites and this thread

Anything I'm missing? Also Lamonster, can I get your character names so I can tell people who to contact if they want to play with Alliance-GAF?

Also are there any GAF groupings in Euro land? Who should I put as a person to contact, if anyone?

Any ideas on when to post it? Tonight? Or should I wait til Monday?

I would add:

Rated Battlegrounds
Guild Leveling/Achievements

At least, those are the two aspects of Cata I'm looking most forward to.

mcrae

PatzCU said:
I would add:

Rated Battlegrounds
Guild Leveling/Achievements

At least, those are the two aspects of Cata I'm looking most forward to.

got any links? i havent heard about these

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
PatzCU said:
Oh also - Could you add me to the spreadsheet in the OT?

Raekwn - Paladin - 80 - Draka - Alliance (North America)
There's a submission form in the OT of the Cata thread.

Suggestion:

We might want an official GAF PvP guild, since A52 is a PvE realm. Maybe it's a bit early to discuss raid times, etc., but any guild that's recruiting for Cataclsym might want to put that up.

Flib

Great OT, man! Just a suggestion, you might want to add:

Battleground:
The Battle for Gilneas

Dungeons:
Heroic Shadowfang Keep
Heroic Deadmines
Lost City of Tol'vir
Vortex Pinnacle instead of Skywall?

MMO-Champions zones and pics seem to be out of date

Can add me for US scrolls again (same info as shattering thread if you need to double check.)

The warrior is now level 79 - ugh the grind of the last level. No rested now either if I want to get him to 80 before Tuesday.

Soule

Trying to upgrade to cata with digital purchase

"The following problems have occurred:

* There has been an error processing your request.
For assistance, contact Blizzard Customer Support."

fuuuarrrrrkk

mcrae

Soule said:

fuuuarrrrrkk

probably not enough on your credit card, give em a call even if the online balance looks ok, sometimes its not always up to date

Alex

Holy Paladins still need to come down further in PvP. The funny thing is they will act surprised and angry when it happens, likely in the first batch of PvP changes. :lol

I'm addicted to my Shaman now, Elemental and Resto are both doin' for me. I still think they undercooked some parts of the Shaman, but it's not enough for me to raise concern with at the moment. I imagine Resto gaining a new cooldown will occur pretty quickly in though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SUPARSTARX said:
Getting destroyed 1 on 1 by a Holy Paladin on my Shadow Priest is probably the lowest point of my WoW time. :(
Once my spriest soloed two paladins.

How times change.

Soule

mcrae said:
probably not enough on your credit card, give em a call even if the online balance looks ok, sometimes its not always up to date
Good thinking 99. It seems this is the case, being a visa debit I transferred some more money on it still not going through but I just did it so I'll obviously give it some more time now. So keen for this expansion so I can start downloading didn't even think of that haha

Danoss

colinp said:
How come WoW AusGAF on Caelestrasz isn't in that database in the op?

And who all are part of that crew?
Copied and pasted from the AusGAF thread for your convenience. Courtesy of Evlcookie.

Waste your real life with some of us in WoW

Ausgaf sort of has a guild in WoW and with next weeks Cataclysm release I figured I would make a post letting anyone else who isn’t already involved know about it.

Who: <Giraffe> on Horde side Caelestrasz server.

Goals: To level casually as a group, enjoying quests and 5 mans along the way. Helping out those who need it.

How to waste your life with us: Send me (Evlcookie) a PM over gaf or wait until the day after cataclsym and add EvlTank to your friends list, I will invite you when i'm online.

You can join before cataclysm hits but we won’t be leveling until then. Some have already started though like Holycheck and Bananaarnie and orbi and danoss will join later as they have mains. You are allowed to level as fast or slow as you wish, you pay for the game so enjoy it how you see fit. Friends and partners are welcome if you want to destroy their lives as well.

Rules: Don’t be a dickhead, no stealing from guild bank ;D

Current users who may play: I'm bad at making lists in gafs reply box so here's one we made earlier on the wiki! http://ausgaffe.wikidot.com/wowaa

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Awww... all you guys worrying about having to install the data when you get home, and instead want to just jump right into it. I welcome the install, as I have nothing to do for 3 hours waiting for the servers to get flipped on after I buy the game. Who am I kidding, I'll be sleeping, passed out from drinking too much before the servers online. Blizzard's giving me an alcohol problem. I won't sue them if they get that dance studio out.
After I digitally upgraded, it didn't download anything. Am I supposed to do something manually? Or perhaps something will download at release? The only reason I went digital... for the first game in my life outside of PSN... is because I always lost the other boxes and don't care. I do collect console cases.

mcrae

so, who is taking up inscription? im thinking of replacing skinning, or mining. i prefer mining, but its bonus isnt as good as skinnings is (+ stamina vs + crit rating) for end game dps raiding

also, are we able to use flying mounts in the eastern kingdoms and kalimdor still? or do you need to be 85 or buy something new again?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
mcrae said:
so, who is taking up inscription? im thinking of replacing skinning, or mining. i prefer mining, but its bonus isnt as good as skinnings is (+ stamina vs + crit rating) for end game dps raiding

also, are we able to use flying mounts in the eastern kingdoms and kalimdor still? or do you need to be 85 or buy something new again?
It'd cost a lot of money without gathering herbs right? It seems like profits will get worse the further we get away from Dec 7th since no one has to re-buy glyphs.

But I haven't put much thought into it.

mcrae

DeathNote said:
It'd cost a lot of money without gathering herbs right? It seems like profits will get worse the further we get away from Dec 7th since no one has to re-buy glyphs.

But I haven't put much thought into it.

see, ive never really subscribed to that ideology; that its best to have a gatherign talent that supports your production talent. either way the reagents have the same market value. either im selling them for 10g a pop, or saving 10g a pop by gathering them, or paying 10g a pop at the auction house. the only real advantage i see is being able to gather herbs that are extremely rare - aka so rare they are very hard to obtain by trade or AH. and im not too sure, but i dont think those really exist, because their drop rate correlates to the drop rate on the recipes that they use, right?

this is half theorycraft though, since because i had this notion ive never levelling a production profession past 100. seems too expensive to get it to the high sweet spot where you THEN need to find a nice pattern/mold/whatever that will actually generate profit. but the last time i played was vanilla so maybe times have changed

mclem

Thnikkaman said:
Ed: And is there even a highly populated Gaf guild for EU Alliance? In the spreadsheet I see two characters on Agrimmar(sp?)

And we're in separate guilds, to boot!

I think the whole "GAF EU is on Alliance Aggramar" sort-of stemmed from the fact that when we started to contribute to the spreadsheet, we noticed that there were two GAF members on the server. That's pretty much all there is to it: There are the most GAFfers on Aggramar because there are a whopping *two* GAFfers on Aggramar; it's in no way any coherent presence. We are, however, both tanks, so it's perfectly reasonable that we believe the entire world revolves around us.

I can't speak for Chriswok, but I'm currently an officer in a raid guild there, and unless that fell apart (god forbid!), I couldn't really do much participation in any GAF community anyway.

Aurarian

I have Blacksmithing and JC as my professions. They both need ore to level up so I'm gonna have to find someone who would let me get their ore for cheap so I can level up and make stuff. :lol

moojito

Soule said:

fuuuarrrrrkk

I had that when I entered the details of the credit card I use for my wow subscription. I know I have tons of room left on it, but it would come up with that message without even trying to check it. I whipped out another card, entered the details. You could see the server mulling it over for a few seconds ('please wait' style message) then I got the success screen.

tl;dr try another card.

Effect

Going have to get the digital version as I waited to long it seems to get the release date delivery from Amazon.com. I've updated the game already tanks to the Joystiq link but still wanted a physical copy. That and Amazon was doing $10 credit. Oh well.

Need to find a new guild on Dalaran or perhaps start anew on another. The guild I am apart of there only has a hand full of people logging in with many having moved on to other guilds or perhaps no longer playing. Guild leadership has passed on from the the original couple (haven't been in the game in months it seems or at least on the server or Alliance) to some others (who are good people). Really want to finish up some quest lines that lead to dungeons but need to find a more active and bigger guild. Just need to find one that doesn't treat the game like work or is going to go postal on me if I make a mistake in a dungeon. I've refused to do random pick up groups do to this. Don't need that abuse from people only feeling strong enough to do that because they are hiding behind a computer screen.

Soule

moojito said:
I had that when I entered the details of the credit card I use for my wow subscription. I know I have tons of room left on it, but it would come up with that message without even trying to check it. I whipped out another card, entered the details. You could see the server mulling it over for a few seconds ('please wait' style message) then I got the success screen.

tl;dr try another card.
Yeah, seems it was the card. All gone through now :)

On a side note, bought the Orgrimmar Banner from argent tourney today for PvP gloating purposes... It shows up as UC banner when I go to plant it, refunded it tried a couple of other banners and they had no issue they worked fine just seems to be the org one... anyone else have this issue?

colinp

Banned
Danoss said:
Copied and pasted from the AusGAF thread for your convenience. Courtesy of Evlcookie.

Waste your real life with some of us in WoW

Ausgaf sort of has a guild in WoW and with next weeks Cataclysm release I figured I would make a post letting anyone else who isn’t already involved know about it.

Who: <Giraffe> on Horde side Caelestrasz server.

Goals: To level casually as a group, enjoying quests and 5 mans along the way. Helping out those who need it.

How to waste your life with us: Send me (Evlcookie) a PM over gaf or wait until the day after cataclsym and add EvlTank to your friends list, I will invite you when i'm online.

You can join before cataclysm hits but we won’t be leveling until then. Some have already started though like Holycheck and Bananaarnie and orbi and danoss will join later as they have mains. You are allowed to level as fast or slow as you wish, you pay for the game so enjoy it how you see fit. Friends and partners are welcome if you want to destroy their lives as well.

Rules: Don’t be a dickhead, no stealing from guild bank ;D

Current users who may play: I'm bad at making lists in gafs reply box so here's one we made earlier on the wiki! http://ausgaffe.wikidot.com/wowaa

Fantastic, thank you!

Milpool

Woo just tamed Skoll,
now that Northrend is barren.

I also tamed Ashtail the other day but I don't think it's that rare. And Cataclysm was just dispatched, hopefully this snow we're having won't disrupt delivery.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
mcrae said:
see, ive never really subscribed to that ideology; that its best to have a gatherign talent that supports your production talent. either way the reagents have the same market value. either im selling them for 10g a pop, or saving 10g a pop by gathering them, or paying 10g a pop at the auction house. the only real advantage i see is being able to gather herbs that are extremely rare - aka so rare they are very hard to obtain by trade or AH. and im not too sure, but i dont think those really exist, because their drop rate correlates to the drop rate on the recipes that they use, right?

this is half theorycraft though, since because i had this notion ive never levelling a production profession past 100. seems too expensive to get it to the high sweet spot where you THEN need to find a nice pattern/mold/whatever that will actually generate profit. but the last time i played was vanilla so maybe times have changed
What I'm saying is... you need tons of herbs to level it. Low level mats are scalped on the AH. You don't necessarily have to keep it. If you have thousands of gold to blow, by all means. The wotlk inscription shoulder enchants require skill level 400. No reason to level it if you have no intention reaching whatever skill level will give level 85 benefits. I don't pay attention to every profession, so I can't describe Inscription. I can describe Jewelcrafting tho. Mining was vital to me leveling it. Jewlcrafters get an easy daily that gives them a token that can be saved up to buy patterns or to buy a special JC gem (Dragon's eye). JC's can decide between spending a few months saving up all the token to get all the patterns or selling the daily JC gem. On average, they sold for 100g. Adds up to at least 72,000 gold just playing the game 30 minutes a day since WOTLK launched(the daily takes 5 minutes, but you need to farm saronite to prospect. or you can buy thre green or blue gems on AH that the daily wants). I think a lot of people made money on buying gems with honor, cutting them with a popular token pattern, and putting in on AH.

I'm getting really annoyed with how many poor druid tanks there are in randoms. I think it's most likely because they want faster queues, so they queue as the tank even though they're not necessarily spec'd for it. At low-levels I guess it doesnt' matter, but their ability to hold threat on a bunch of mobs is downright horrible, and if they're gonna go in as a pretend tank, they better have the awareness to keep aggro on all the mobs. But no, it's usually morons that just run into the middle of rooms, pull everything, and before you know it, every single person in the group has aggro, and then we wipe. My last experience was a druid spec'd as resto that queue'd as the tank. This is perhaps doable, but I had had so many bad experiences with druid tanks up to that point last night that I just left after the first pull. I knew they were going to roll on any healing gear that might drop, which just annoyed me further.

And if it's not bad druids, it's groups where the tank has 2 minute pauses before every pull, literally. I"m like wtf are we doing? GO GO GO! There is a difference between being careful and not pulling the whole instance, and jacking around inbetween trash pulls.

I've noticed a lot more warlocks too who think that just because they have life drain they can pull everything like they're the tank. With the influx of new players leveling, it seems there are a lot more idiots as well.

/rant over. Still really enjoying healing as disc on my gnome priest. Having a hard time leveling herbalism and inscription, because I outlevel the zones too quickly for my profession skills to keep up. I'm level 44 and my herbalism is at like 90 :p

EDIT: Deathnote is absolutely right. Stacks of herbs are ridiculously priced on my server, preventing me from keeping my inscription profession up to level. Now that I'm 44 and have 100% mount speed, I'm going back and farming up the herbs inbetween dunqeon queues.

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm getting really annoyed with how many poor druid tanks there are in randoms. I think it's most likely because they want faster queues, so they queue as the tank even though they're not necessarily spec'd for it. At low-levels I guess it doesnt' matter, but their ability to hold threat on a bunch of mobs is downright horrible, and if they're gonna go in as a pretend tank, they better have the awareness to keep aggro on all the mobs. But no, it's usually morons that just run into the middle of rooms, pull everything, and before you know it, every single person in the group has aggro, and then we wipe. My last experience was a druid spec'd as resto that queue'd as the tank. This is perhaps doable, but I had had so many bad experiences with druid tanks up to that point last night that I just left after the first pull. I knew they were going to roll on any healing gear that might drop, which just annoyed me further.

And if it's not bad druids, it's groups where the tank has 2 minute pauses before every pull, literally. I"m like wtf are we doing? GO GO GO! There is a difference between being careful and not pulling the whole instance, and jacking around inbetween trash pulls.

I've noticed a lot more warlocks too who think that just because they have life drain they can pull everything like they're the tank. With the influx of new players leveling, it seems there are a lot more idiots as well.

/rant over. Still really enjoying healing as disc on my gnome priest. Having a hard time leveling herbalism and inscription, because I outlevel the zones too quickly for my profession skills to keep up. I'm level 44 and my herbalism is at like 90 :p

EDIT: Deathnote is absolutely right. Stack of herbs are ridiculously priced on my server, preventing me from keeping my inscription profession up to level. Now that I'm 44 and have 100% mount speed, I'm going back and farming up the herbs inbetween dunqeon queues.

Supposedly druid tanks are much harder to play then the other 3 classes at lower levels, and they can't generate as much threat (especially AoE)

funkmastergeneral said:
Supposedly druid tanks are much harder to play then the other 3 classes at lower levels, and they can't generate as much threat (especially AoE)
That's understandable. But I can be very pessimistic, so I assume that the bad ones are probably just druids that actually play resto or balance, and that annoys me. :D

Cyrillus

Deputy Moonman said:

EDIT: Deathnote is absolutely right. Stacks of herbs are ridiculously priced on my server, preventing me from keeping my inscription profession up to level. Now that I'm 44 and have 100% mount speed, I'm going back and farming up the herbs inbetween dunqeon queues.

Bear tanks have by far the worst AE threat generation while leveling. It's even worse before level 36, which is when they get Swipe.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah, I've told most Bear Druids to just take it easy and not to over-extend yourself. The instance will be done in due time. I remember one guy was literally freaking out and constantly asking if his tanking was good enough - in Wailing Caverns of all places.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I guess if they have caster gear, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they have dual spec but that it's restro and balance. I actually intend to tank in a caster set on a druid at 15 just to test it out.

But, if they don't like healing, drop it. Otherwise, a healing queue should be just as good.

ultron87

Did a random Wailing Caverns run with my new priest last night. Some ass/idiot Shaman was rolling Need on all the BOE greens. Since they were just greens and level 20 isn't exactly serious business I didn't feel the need to boot him or anything, but it was still annoying as hell.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ultron87 said:
Did a random Wailing Caverns run with my new priest last night. Some ass/idiot Shaman was rolling Need on all the BOE greens. Since they were just greens and level 20 isn't exactly serious business I didn't feel the need to boot him or anything, but it was still annoying as hell.
Honesty, I would have asked why. I guess it's possible he needed the gear and wanted better stats for pvp. All my 15's pretty much have 80% grey armor.

Effect

Tanking in general isn't an easy experience from what I remember the few times I did it in other games. The tank and healer are always the first ones some people have no problem lobbing insults at. So some I think can be overly cautious about what they are doing. I know I rather be slow and careful then over pull something. Less drama that way. Still drama would take place just less of it. Same with playing a Wizard in games. Which is my class of choice in Everquest 1, 2, Guild Wars, etc. People would complain that I might not be casting enough but I rather under cast and manage my aggro (learned this early on back in EQ1) then over cast and die and have people bitch. This is why I've always been very understanding when it comes to tanks and healers and never give them any grief unless a healer is just not doing anything at all or running in there trying to melee for some weird reason. Or a tank starts pulling knowing full well people aren't ready.

It's why so many prefer to solo when possible. Or at least one of the reasons I believe. You only have yourself to worry about because the drama from grouping can be more frustrating and draining then the actual mobs themselves. This is why I hate forced grouping or making a significant amount of content group only. Not the grouping as an idea but that it forced you into situations where this drama would take place. Not most likely to take place but would take place no matter what.

ultron87

DeathNote said:
Honesty, I would have asked why. I guess it's possible he needed the gear and wanted better stats for pvp. All my 15's pretty much have 80% grey armor.

Well he was rolling on cloth and mail items as well as leather. So either low armor or armor he can't wear. And I don't think he actually talked once the entire instance anyway. And he was wearing a set of crafted common leather armor.

He might've just been an idiot, I dunno. Or just wanted to sell stuff.

As I said, not really a big deal. Especially since he didn't end up ninjaing anything from my newbie friends who I'm leveling this character with. I would've been pissed if that had happened.

Also, triple XP in a instance makes you level like crazy. :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ultron87 said:
Well he was rolling on cloth and mail items as well as leather. So either low armor or armor he can't wear. And I don't think he actually talked once the entire instance anyway. And he was wearing a set of crafted common leather armor.

He might've just been an idiot, I dunno. Or just wanted to sell stuff.

As I said, not really a big deal. Especially since he didn't end up ninjaing anything from my newbie friends. I would've been pissed if that had happened.
I guess money and profession leveling was the intention. I would have just needed also if he didn't stop.

If 5 same level people are dedicating their time, no matter what the content level, I'm not letting one person benefit a lot more than others. I just like to be fair if a person can control it.

ultron87 said:
At lower levels (1-30ish), a lot of greens will be upgrades. I definitely rolled need on a few, but not all -- that would be annoying. But if you already have multiple 80's, the money you get from vendoring the low level greens, even blues is completely useless. I was passing, instead of greeding, on a lot of the boss drops simply to keep my bag space free.

I was getting irritated at everyone rolling on caster gear. Unless you're a warrior or rogue, there will be some form of your spec that benefits from intellect. In my randoms, it seemed that 4/5 or 5/5 members of the party were rolling need on all cloth gear.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I was getting irritated at everyone rolling on caster gear. Unless you're a warrior or rogue, there will be some form of your spec that benefits from intellect. In my randoms, it seemed that 4/5 or 5/5 members of the party were rolling need on all cloth gear.
Most likely stam for pvp. 10-20 is horrid without stam.

The same old problems exist, but 1-30 will definitely be extra annoying.

Infinity

In Deadmines the other day, we booted a warrior that kept rolling Need on all caster drops.

Folks just don't get the NBG principle. Even at low levels it still applies even if you'll outgrow it in a few levels. Not all players have level 80 benefactors, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom