• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnus said:
As usual, expansion day turned out to be a model of stability for our server. After a 10-minute long hiccup at the start with authentication servers being borked or whatever. :D

I'm 81, and so ready to sleep, but have a whole day ahead. FML

This is why I do not feel so bad about going to work today after getting a full night's sleep. I will be home around 1:30 (shortly after UPS should deliver the game), get to play late, and have off tomorrow. Sure I am about ten hours behind the curve (probably less with server troubles), but I should be able to make that up when everyone else falls asleep!

I thought that I would hate an underwater zone but I'm enjoying it more than Hyjal at this point, mainly because Hyjal is just a massive clusterfuck. I'm still amazed that people won't group up for kill quests, instead there's like 30 people in this little cave spamming AEs trying to claim this wolf.

DeathNote said:
Anyone know what you need to do to do the new JC dailies?

You have to be a certain level or skill level I think (not sure exactly how they unlock.)

However, the dailies themselves are all just cutting X amount of green gems, if that's what you wanted to know.

SuperLurker said:
I thought that I would hate an underwater zone but I'm enjoying it more than Hyjal at this point, mainly because Hyjal is just a massive clusterfuck. I'm still amazed that people won't group up for kill quests, instead there's like 30 people in this little cave spamming AEs trying to claim this wolf.

That's world of warcraft. Everyone plays in their own little world.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Logging out at level 15. 3rd highest goblin on Area 52 Horde side without heirlooms, bitches!

But I'll lose that lead after I get back. Ah well, such is life.

Twig

Banned
Halycon said:
Logging out at level 15. 3rd highest goblin on Area 52 Horde side without heirlooms, bitches!

But I'll lose that lead after I get back. Ah well, such is life.
no you're doing it wrong do not quit until you are 85

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The guild XP and rep caps are going to get annoying quick. My guild reached today's XP cap in only a couple of hours (which is about 75% of the way to level 2, by the way.)

Other than that - picking up (hopefully) a collector's edition in about 2 hours (couldn't sleep).

I did fish 275 fish from pools by myself though :lol

No turtle mount, alas.

My guilds daily exp cap was 6246k and it was only halfway to level 2 :/

If I did Cataclysm digital purchase how long would it take for me to finish? Some guy in my guild said his only took 15 minutes. Seems fishy though.

Willectro

Banned
So I read on the Blizz forums (therefore this may not be 100% true) that an EU pally "Forscience" hit 85 in 5.5hrs. Apparently he did this by tagging a bunch of mobs in instances and then dropping the group while his guildies killed the mobs. He has apparently been banned, and it is apparently Athene who did this at the wrath launch also. If he really is banned I think this is complete shit. He used game mechanics to get around leveling.

Also the first underwater zone is shit. I shoulda went Hyjal. Ah well.

zlatko

Banned
Having not played since Vanilla times and only dabbling in the trial times for Burning Crusade, this coming back is very awesome. So much has changed for the better. Starting off as a Worgen to experience cut scenes, quests with vehicles, a good variety in quests, and an enjoyable story for the race was awesome. How battle net works to show your friends online, the ease of just hitting tab when you are typing someones name to save yourself the hassle, achievements, and so much more makes the game a very well put together experience...especially after the turd experience I had with FFXIV.

I had some bugs with quests, but that's to be expected on launch day and it was nothing game breaking although the last thing I had really sucks: I was on the last or second to last Worgen quest called End game, and it didn't show who to talk to for it, just mentions Hippogryphs, so I talk to a NPC by the Hippogryphs and the thing read, "Are you Ready?" So I said yes. This was the first time the whole night I was stupid enough to not read what the NPC was saying entirely because I was getting tired, and so it ended up teleporting me to the Night Elf homeland. Now I can't go back to finish those quests up and when I tried my warp to inn stone it didn't even work. I contacted a GM, but they were in heavy traffic so after an hour I gave up, which is where I am now about to go to bed.

Awesome so far. Can't wait to do more tomorrow. :D

Rokam

Greys and more greys, need 300 to even get a chance at rares I think. However I'm getting closer to finishing a lot of the achievements with stories.

profit

CE get! :D
Have been walking around all day going through all the stores, entered the last store about to give up and decided to ask for a very last time. The guy I asked suddenly said: oh yeah, I got just one extra, we accidently ordered it twice for the same person!
Felt so lucky :lol

Now a quick question, I already got the regular edition but I would like to have the deathwing pet and icons for SC2. Do they all come with the key thats in the CE? cause I've already linked my regular edition to my account :(

Raide

profit said:
CE get! :D
Have been walking around all day going through all the stores, entered the last store about to give up and decided to ask for a very last time. The guy I asked suddenly said: oh yeah, I got just one extra, we accidently ordered it twice for the same person!
Felt so lucky :lol

Now a quick question, I already got the regular edition but I would like to have the deathwing pet and icons for SC2. Do they all come with the key thats in the CE? cause I've already linked my regular edition to my account :(

If you add the new key, it should upgrade your account to the CE Version.

profit

Raide said:
If you add the new key, it should upgrade your account to the CE Version.
But that means the key isnt useable anymore. That sucks cause I would have wanted to give it to a good friend of mine, who does not want to spend money on cata right now.

Tacitus_

abgO5.png

Raide

profit said:
But that means the key isnt useable anymore. That sucks cause I would have wanted to give it to a good friend of mine, who does not want to spend money on cata right now.

Might be worth e-mailing them and seeing what can be done. I think you have to upgrade the account but I could be utterly wrong.

Milpool

Rokam said:
Explorer racial is broken sigh. Oh well up to 255 Archaeology.

Some dude on Agrammar EU just got the realm first 450 archeology, I remember reading it takes ages to level up.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Mixed feelings about the expansion so far.

The leveling is far too easy. Perhaps this is intended but having someone ding 85 before I left for work at 12 o'clock was kind of a disappointment.

The underwater level was overcrowded, both with people and stuff. It was so crammed full of shit I had difficulties not thinking this would be the worst expansion ever.

The starting zone for the worgen was the same kind of bloated. Too much happening with little of the necessary filler. They've built a theme park with no real adventure behind it. While some quests were fun and the progression was nice it was just too much. Not really sure I'm on board with the female worgen voice actor.

Apart from that it's nice. Archaeology seems nice enough.

Flib

So you want more boring, grindy quests?

edit: I mentioned it in the beta! Just flying around changes everything, it's so fun.

Milpool

Naaoooo, just tagged Blazewing but died thanks to fall damage plus landing next to many mobs. Then saw him dead very far away from my corpse.

Looks like Al'ar.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Twig said:
no you're doing it wrong do not quit until you are 85
Like hell I'm aiming for a Server first on a server with no guildies to carry me to 85 :lol :lol

Twig

Banned
YOU ARE WEAK HALYCON WEAAAAAAK

kinoki said:
Mixed feelings about the expansion so far.

The leveling is far too easy. Perhaps this is intended but having someone ding 85 before I left for work at 12 o'clock was kind of a disappointment.

The underwater level was overcrowded, both with people and stuff. It was so crammed full of shit I had difficulties not thinking this would be the worst expansion ever.

The starting zone for the worgen was the same kind of bloated. Too much happening with little of the necessary filler. They've built a theme park with no real adventure behind it. While some quests were fun and the progression was nice it was just too much. Not really sure I'm on board with the female worgen voice actor.

Apart from that it's nice. Archaeology seems nice enough.
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

I haven't played the "new" content yet, but leveling in some of the revamped zones (Azshara -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon -> Southern Barrens -> Thousand Needles track, specifically), it's just a straight line from point A to point B. It's definitely faster, and it's definitely superior to the old old world in a LOT of ways... but it's not very, humm. What's the right word? Compelling?

It's just GO HERE DO THIS GO HERE DO THIS GO HERE DO THIS over and over and over. It certainly works if the goal is to get you to endgame as fast as possible (and I suspect that is the primary goal of the way quests are designed, now), but it doesn't make for the best game. Not that old old world made for the best game, either.

Perhaps I'll change my mind after actually playing the real new zones, though. :D

Rapstah

I logged in to see my server's (Ragnaros EU) last realm first class happen. It was Priest.

And a fun fact: apparently every single "kill if PVP" Cata guard will kill the Mind Controlled person before the Mind Controller. Want to get rid of anyone 80-83? POW.

ACE 1991

Twig said:
YOU ARE WEAK HALYCON WEAAAAAAK

Wow, I thought I was the only one!

I haven't played the "new" content yet, but leveling in some of the revamped zones (Azshara -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon -> Southern Barrens -> Thousand Needles track, specifically), it's just a straight line from point A to point B. It's definitely faster, and it's definitely superior to the old old world in a LOT of ways... but it's not very, humm. What's the right word? Compelling?

It's just GO HERE DO THIS GO HERE DO THIS GO HERE DO THIS over and over and over. It certainly works if the goal is to get you to endgame as fast as possible (and I suspect that is the primary goal of the way quests are designed, now), but it doesn't make for the best game. Not that old old world made for the best game, either.

Perhaps I'll change my mind after actually playing the real new zones, though. :D

This is such a shame. The best thing about WoW was leveling your first character and exploring the world. If Blizzard's design philosophy has really shifted to cater to the min/maxers then the game has lost it's magic so to speak.

Rokam

Dumb luck, but I like some of the artifacts that tell a story. I think to get a real impression need to have it at max when you're just hunting for rares.

funkmastergeneral said:
I hate it. It's like trying to farm herbs to get frost lotus, but you don't get anything useful in the process. I wish we would get sellable items while leveling it up.
So what is the benefit of leveling it?

Flib

It was GO HERE DO THIS in old WoW too, except Here was on the other side of a world for a one off quest for a storyline which affected nothing within the world. The new content is infinitely more compelling than anything that has been done in WoW before, in my opinion at least.

Twig

Banned
Flib said:
It was GO HERE DO THIS in old WoW too, except Here was on the other side of a world for a one off quest for a storyline which affected nothing within the world. The new content is infinitely more compelling than anything that has been done in WoW before, in my opinion at least.
Maybe, but it was much more about exploring the world than it was about leading you in a straight line.

I'm not saying making you go across the world for a quest is better - in fact, it's way way way way worse.

But there's a middle-ground, and they seem to have gone from one extreme to another. WOTLK was... much more to my tastes, personally. I'm actually quite fond of the way TBC was structured, too, but the quests are not as fun as they are in WOTLK.

ACE 1991

Flib said:

True. I guess the sense of exploration came more from not necessarily understanding all of WoW's underlying mechanics, which made the game feel more fresh and immersive, and not all about numbers and charts.

Flib

Twig said:
Maybe, but it was much more about exploring the world than it was about leading you in a straight line.

I'm not saying making you go across the world for a quest is better - in fact, it's way way way way worse.

But there's a middle-ground, and they seem to have gone from one extreme to another. WOTLK was... much more to my tastes, personally. I'm actually quite fond of the way TBC was structured, too, but the quests are not as fun as they are in WOTLK.

There are still branches and such which are optional. You usually get your breadcrumb quest out of a zone before you've finished everything.

In the new zones, you'll usually have 2-3 quest hubs open at once, so it's more like Wrath. In some sections though, they actually tell a pretty strong story, so it has linear parts (like the pre/intro/first sections of Twilight Highlands).

Twig

Banned
Um, as a gamer who appreciates exploring worlds, I do not even remotely consider "branching" a good substitute for exploration. Maybe you do, and that's fine. U:
funkmastergeneral said:
rare items. the problem is if you don't get a rare its useless. and time consuming as all hell
As I understand it, once you get all the crappy shit out of the way, you're guaranteed a rare, right? I'm probably wrong.

Touchdown

Banned
Awwww waiting for my cata from UPS :( It's killing me, I'm here twiddling my thumbs while my guildies are experiencing the awesomeness without me. AHRRRRRRR. It's claiming its "out for delivery" right now....C'mooooooooooooon. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom