• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

ACE 1991 said:
True. I guess the sense of exploration came more from not necessarily understanding all of WoW's underlying mechanics, which made the game feel more fresh and immersive, and not all about numbers and charts.

I mean, I'm with you guys on that nostalgic exploring feeling, but having levelled a bunch of alts recently in Wrath, that era was decidedly over. They had to do something, and I'll take these strong story experiences over the aimless wandering. It's also to make it more user friendly for new players, since they said that 90% of their players never make it past like level 10 or 15.

Rokam

Twig said:
As I understand it, once you get all the crappy shit out of the way, you're guaranteed a rare, right? I'm probably wrong.

Apparently it's been changed I've been getting duplicates. Just got my first rare, the epic shaman helm level 70

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Twig said:
Maybe, but it was much more about exploring the world than it was about leading you in a straight line.

I'm not saying making you go across the world for a quest is better - in fact, it's way way way way worse.

But there's a middle-ground, and they seem to have gone from one extreme to another. WOTLK was... much more to my tastes, personally. I'm actually quite fond of the way TBC was structured, too, but the quests are not as fun as they are in WOTLK.
I have to agree with you there but I think the reason for this is they put a lot more thought into each individual quest line now, so I don't think they can afford to keep the same kind of open-worldness in LK and BC.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, I know. I know WHY things are the way they are. I'm just not exactly GUNG HO about it like so many other people. C'est la vie. WoW has never been exactly what I want out of an MMO, but it's still a fantastic game, so I will still keep playing it!

Flib said:
I mean, I'm with you guys on that nostalgic exploring feeling, but having levelled a bunch of alts recently in Wrath, that era was decidedly over. They had to do something, and I'll take these strong story experiences over the aimless wandering. It's also to make it more user friendly for new players, since they said that 90% of their players never make it past like level 10 or 15.
I get you, too, don't worry.

Unfortunately I don't necessarily think most of the quest lines are "strong story". It's still largely filler bullshit. ):
Rokam said:
Apparently it's been changed I've been getting duplicates. Just got my first rare, the epic shaman helm level 70
Aw. I guess I was wrong.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Twig said:
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

I haven't played the "new" content yet, but leveling in some of the revamped zones (Azshara -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon -> Southern Barrens -> Thousand Needles track, specifically), it's just a straight line from point A to point B. It's definitely faster, and it's definitely superior to the old old world in a LOT of ways... but it's not very, humm. What's the right word? Compelling?

It's just GO HERE DO THIS GO HERE DO THIS GO HERE DO THIS over and over and over. It certainly works if the goal is to get you to endgame as fast as possible (and I suspect that is the primary goal of the way quests are designed, now), but it doesn't make for the best game. Not that old old world made for the best game, either.

Perhaps I'll change my mind after actually playing the real new zones, though. :D

New zones are very directed. You'd think that in all the world of World of Warcraft there'd be room for a couple of non-theme park zones that loosened the rigid bounds of the 4.0 questing.

So far the new content is just the same. And I really think the more cinematic details that are inserted into the narrative actually detract from the experience since they're so awkwardly implemented at times.

Yaweee

Twig said:
Maybe, but it was much more about exploring the world than it was about leading you in a straight line.

I'm not saying making you go across the world for a quest is better - in fact, it's way way way way worse.

But there's a middle-ground, and they seem to have gone from one extreme to another. WOTLK was... much more to my tastes, personally. I'm actually quite fond of the way TBC was structured, too, but the quests are not as fun as they are in WOTLK.

Maybe Kalimdor just isn't as well done as Eastern Kingdoms. Silverpine, Hillsbrad, and WPL are probably 3 of my 5 favorite zones now. Blasted Lands was pretty BA, too.

I've also found the story to be as consistently high standard as Northrend's was. There's a nice flow in many zones and feeling of progress, like you're actually making a difference in the conflicts that are happening. Really, the final events in all three of those zones feel so satisfying.

Doing a new character through Horde Kalimdor... and it isn't quite as strong story-wise. I fucking loved Azshara, but I think the zone is more about setting up the role of Goblins in the horde than a particularly strong and focused story. Ashenvale seems pretty nice; feels like the most active WARcraft zone in the game, honestly, especially for such a low level area. They're finally pushing it as a real war between the Alliance and Horde, rather than a pussy-shit cold-war.

I do agree that there is something to gain by having quests "off the beaten path", so to speak. Nearly every quest and hub is part of the zone's main quest chain.

Flib

Stonetalon is really fantastic, better than Ashenvale.

The ending is really strong, story-wise.

edit: Just got my CE. This thing is freaking huge!

Yaweee

ultron87 said:
I love how a lot of the Alliance towns in Ashenvale are under direct attack by the Horde when you get there. So great.

And vice-versa! The Warsong outpost right at the Southern entrance is under attack by archers and skirmishers, Night Elfs are assasinating (one-shot backstabbing) peons at a nearby lumber mill, and Ancient Protectors are beating the crap out the Northeast outpost.

Twig

Banned
Flib said:

It was definitely cool to see Garrosh at the end, being awesome, because he's motherfucking Garrosh and his PIMP HAND IS STRONG.

I was disappointed at the time, though, because even though both Ashenvale and Stonetalon and Southern Barrens to an extent are ALL ABOUT THE WAR (FUCK YEAH PVP) there was no PvP. Literally I saw no one of the opposite faction. I know I was a little behind the New Class/Race leveling train, but come on. ):

Flib

Twig said:
It was definitely cool to see Garrosh at the end, being awesome, because he's motherfucking Garrosh and his PIMP HAND IS STRONG.

I was disappointed at the time, though, because even though both Ashenvale and Stonetalon and Southern Barrens to an extent are ALL ABOUT THE WAR (FUCK YEAH PVP) there was no PvP. Literally I saw no one of the opposite faction. I know I was a little behind the New Class/Race leveling train, but come on. ):

See there, we have an agreement. Definitely missed opportunities for World PVP (the Battlescar in Southern Barrens would have been so awesome for this).

Milpool

Milpool said:
Naaoooo, just tagged Blazewing but died thanks to fall damage plus landing next to many mobs. Then saw him dead very far away from my corpse.

Looks like Al'ar.

Ran into another rare spawn, tried to tame Terrorpene but he owned my face numerous times with his ability, after about 4 attempts a prot pally killed him. I think he was immune to traps.

I know I'll never see either of those again.

Twig

Banned
thrall is just a fucking hippy these days, cairne never did shit during all of wow except DIE (trust me i wish he did stuff, fucking tauren are boss-ballin'), and sylvanas is a spiteful bitch what needs some lovin'

vol'jin would be awesome if the trolls actually had a fucking city goddamn i was so disappointed with that sorry excuse for a "HOME OF THE DARKSPEAR"

ezekial45

Banned
Is the Worgen quest with Josiah Avery bugged for anyone else? I tried going to him, but all i saw was his shadow. I could see his yells, but i can't interact with him.

kodt

Banned
Flib said:

I can't even enjoy the quest-lines fully because I level so fast and the quests become gray to me before finishing the zone. I quit Ashenvale early and went to Stonetalon, now I am leaving Stonetalon and abandoning some quests.

I did Durotar and Northern Barrens 100% but now I am having a hard time completing zones without feeling like I am wasting time. I will come back to them later for Loremaster but that is not ideal as it is out of order...

Dina

Twig said:
thrall is just a fucking hippy these days, cairne never did shit during all of wow except DIE (trust me i wish he did stuff, fucking tauren are boss-ballin'), and sylvanas is a spiteful bitch what needs some lovin'

vol'jin would be awesome if the trolls actually had a fucking city goddamn i was so disappointed with that sorry excuse for a "HOME OF THE DARKSPEAR"

I expect Vol'Jin, out of all the horde leaders, to rise up against Garrosh at some point. Delegating the entire troll faction out to the slums is not sitting well there.

With good reason. Trolls are 'boss-ballin' awesome, and Shadow Hunter Vol'Jin most of all. Cairne is too btw, and sadly I don't think Baine has enough boss-balls.

Flib

kodt said:
I can't even enjoy the quest-lines fully because I level so fast and the quests become gray to me before finishing the zone. I quit Ashenvale early and went to Stonetalon, now I am leaving Stonetalon and abandoning some quests.

I did Durotar and Northern Barrens 100% but now I am having a hard time completing zones without feeling like I am wasting time. I will come back to them later for Loremaster but that is not ideal as it is out of order...

Are you using heirlooms?

And skipping the end of Stonetalon misses out on one of the best endings to a questline in the game.

Twig

Banned
Dina said:
I expect Vol'Jin, out of all the horde leaders, to rise up against Garrosh at some point. Delegating the entire troll faction out to the slums is not sitting well there.

With good reason. Trolls are 'boss-ballin' awesome, and Shadow Hunter Vol'Jin most of all. Cairne is too btw, and sadly I don't think Baine has enough boss-balls.
I sincerely hoped for a brief period of time that the drama between Vol'jin and Garrosh, and the Forsaken off being super evil or whatever, would mean that the Horde was splitting up and the game would bring forth completely open PvP. That they'd come up with a similar excuse for the Alliance.

Hoped, but nowhere near expected. Ahhh, if only. ;_;

And, yeah, trolls are indeed boss-ballin'. FUCK YEAH.

Dina

While old-world revamp is awesome, you can't not see that the new leveling up content is just not up there with TBC and Cata. Barring dungeons, which I haven't played, there weren't lvl 80s within 12 hours of launch with Wrath. And there weren't lvl 70s with TBC.

For those players not really wanting to reroll another character on account of having too much and having played most classes already, I'm feeling a bit... let's say disappointed.

Lvl 82 3/4 after 8 hours of play, by the way.

So, I thought I'd really like Worgen, but nope. Goblins stole my heart <3

Going to level up my Goblin Hunter called Goldgrin. He's awesome. Can't wait to tame pets that are 4x my size :lol

Edit: Damn...a 1600 person queue for my server. Hello 30 minute wait xD

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
You have to be a certain level or skill level I think (not sure exactly how they unlock.)

However, the dailies themselves are all just cutting X amount of green gems, if that's what you wanted to know.
I want to know the requirement to do the dailies.

I think it's 475 and I hope 80

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question all, for my main (currently a 72), when I started way back when I never really knew about professions and such, so now at a level 72 my mining and skinning are both at like 4, as a rogue should i stick with those 2, and where are the best places to level them quickly?

kodt

Banned
Flib said:
Are you using heirlooms?

And skipping the end of Stonetalon misses out on one of the best endings to a questline in the game.

No, no heirlooms but I am running a bunch of dungeons. Yesterday I ran SM / RFK / MAU and then SM again. Got around 3 levels right there.

Flib

kodt said:
No, no heirlooms but I am running a bunch of dungeons. Yesterday I ran SM / RFK / MAU and then SM again. Got around 3 levels right there.

Yeah, that will outlevel you. It's unfortunately tuned to not take dungeons into account. I agree they should dial back the xp a bit.

Flib said:
Yeah, that will outlevel you. It's unfortunately tuned to not take dungeons into account. I agree they should dial back the xp a bit.
Only if they then bring it back to this level in six months. In the long run, I'd rather have gray quests than take my sweet time from 1-60 again.

Of course, maybe I shouldn't care since my character slots on my main server are maxed out. But if my friends have their way of making us go alliance, then I pray they keep leveling at hyper pace.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Damn, like a 40 minute queue on my server, haven't seen a queue since Wrath's release.

Gave me ample time to make and eat dinner though :p

Hit 81 in 3 hrs last night.. Then went to bed cause i have to work.

I want to go home and play more ! :(

Vash'jir is incredibly fun. Oh and Druid Aquatic Form + Glyph = Imbal haha

Its just as fast as the Seahorse and doesnt require you to dismount to grab stuff.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Deadly Cyclone said:
Question all, for my main (currently a 72), when I started way back when I never really knew about professions and such, so now at a level 72 my mining and skinning are both at like 4, as a rogue should i stick with those 2, and where are the best places to level them quickly?
Any combination is really good, honestly. Though that depends upon what other professions you have elsewhere. Mining and Skinning are decent because most gathering professions will net you a steady income if you sell the materials over the AH. They've increased the mining veins by a truckload in some zones, and I recently took my Shaman from 1-450 skinning in a couple of hours, if that.

Your best bet for any guidance is to head to wowpedia.org and check up on Professions. Most Rogues tend to go for two variants: Leatherworking & Skinning for the gear, or Engineering & Mining for PVP/PVE situational items.

Atomski

So far leveling in Outland has been a total bummer. Theres people out ganking which I did not expect.. I mean on the day of the xpac thats what your seriously doing? Maybe they are sour they didn't get it or something.

80 can not come soon enough.

Rapstah

Atomski said:
So far leveling in Outland has been a total bummer. Theres people out ganking which I did not expect.. I mean on the day of the xpac thats what your seriously doing? Maybe they are sour they didn't get it or something.

80 can not come soon enough.
It absolutely blew when I went through Outland last week. I was used to instances giving me around a level picking up all quests, perharps half a level without any quests... and suddenly instances start giving me like 5% of a level. 10% with quests!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i fucking love vashj'ir. such a pretty zone to look at. some people don't like questing in it because it's all underwater and swimming and stuff, but think it's fine. maybe me being a druid has something to do with that.
sea legs + glyped aquatic form = win. zipping around that place like a rocket. almost impossible for people to gank me.

Scrow said:
i fucking love vashj'ir. such a pretty zone to look at. some people don't like questing in it because it's all underwater and swimming and stuff, but think it's fine. maybe me being a druid has something to do with that.
sea legs + glyped aquatic form = win. zipping around that place like a rocket. almost impossible for people to gank me.

I thought Vashj'ir was decent, but wasn't aware that it was completely underwater before I had went. Would have gone to Hyjal, otherwise. Also Tide of Thrones was a very boring dungeon. There was as much trash as there were bosses.

Spruchy

funkmastergeneral said:
I thought Vashj'ir was decent, but wasn't aware that it was completely underwater before I had went. Would have gone to Hyjal, otherwise. Also Tide of Thrones was a very boring dungeon. There was as much trash as there were bosses.

Wow that's a lot of bosses.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Halycon said:
Garrosh sucks.

Sylvanas > *

Sylvanas got
killed by a lvl 20 elite undead in Silverpine. Weak.

Garrosh could kill her simply by looking into her eyes. I'm sure she almost died of a heart attack when he called her a bitch.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Surprised there was no queue on the oceanic realm i rerolled on. The goblin area wasn't all that populated either. Woo for medium - high server :lol

KJTB

Argh, So I'm sitting here today studying for finals and I can't keep my mind off of this thursday when I get to play :lol

I can't wait :D

If Vash'jir is really all underwater I think that I'll be going to Hyjal despite most people saying Vash'jir>hyjal. Even with the underwater buffs I don't really know how I'd feel about an entire underwater zone. I really dislike the underwater quests in WoW...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom