• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultron87 said:
Random hunter question: If you tame an Exotic Pet using the 31 point Beast Mastery talent, do you have to be in that spec to use it? Or can you switch specs and still use the pet? I'm guessing no, but thought I'd ask.

Because I would love to take the time to hunt down this awesome looking wolf: http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/spectralsaberworg.html but I don't really like Beast Mastery as a spec.
I'm in the same boat as you. You have to be in Beast spec to summon the pet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:
They're also retarded because anyone can race change an existing character.

But no one is retarded enough to pay for a race change of a lvl 40 character.

Hopefully no one is that retarded...

Right?

Evlar

Banned
mcrae said:
level 83 dwarf priest just got 525 archeology on my realm (bleeding hollow)
That is impressive. I spent about four hours on Archeology last night on my 80 Dwarf Priest, only got up to 95. The Dwarf racial bonus is very helpful.

Bisnic said:

Right?
haha I didn't even know it wasn't free. Hope no one is that retarded.

Milpool

Saw the bar steward again:

Wm8y3.jpg

XJB2k.jpg

1080p

I'd say based on seeing him yesterday his timer is around 28 hours, unless he was up and killed during the night. Couldn't tame him again though, came within 1 second but didn't have access to Bloodlust, should be easy at lvl83.

I had a feeling about where he spawned and he does spawn at around 82,51(from memory), then proceeds to path around the bottom part of the pit and then goes back on himself.

LiveWire

Anyone know where you can find "Iridescent Pearls"? I checked online and the only commentary for post 4.0 patch seems to indicate the only place in the entire gameworld you can farm them is off of enemies in the Blackfathom Deeps instance, which kinda puts Alliance characters at a slight
huge pain in the ass
disadvantage. Did Blizzard eff this one up? I need them for a low level (145) Blacksmithing recipe to get myself a nice chestpiece which should last me most of my 30s (level 30 now).

Evlar

Banned
LiveWire said:
Anyone know where you can find "Iridescent Pearls"? I checked online and the only commentary for post 4.0 patch seems to indicate the only place in the entire gameworld you can farm them is off of enemies in the Blackfathom Deeps instance, which kinda puts Alliance characters at a slight
huge pain in the ass
disadvantage. Did Blizzard eff this one up? I need them for a low level (145) Blacksmithing recipe to get myself a nice chestpiece which should last me most of my 30s (level 30 now).
They come from clams.

SUPARSTARX

Bisnic said:
I've been wondering, my PC looks like this :

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz
Video card : Nvidia Geforce 9800 1gb
RAM : 4gb DDR2
Power supply : 550W
Resolution : 1980x1200

What should i upgrade if i want something like +50 FPS with Ultra view distance and high shadows in every zones(ignoring the obvious lagfest of SW/Orgrimmar and 25 man raids)?

As of right now, i can get something like 30-35 FPS on average in a zone like Vashjir with these current settings, but view distance and shadows are killing my FPS a little and i cant stand the pixelated static shadows that we get below the High option and i love seeing as far as i can. Low res shadows are horrible underwater or in snowy areas. And i wonder if getting a better video card would help or if something better than Geforce 9800 wont change anything for an old game like WoW. I dont think getting more RAM would change anything too.
My setups like a small step above what you got, I'd say you're good to go with a new card. I have ultra settings fully on at 1920x1080, Phenom II X4 965, Geforce GTX 460 1GB, 6GB DDR3.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Tried playing last night. Couldn't find any mobs to kill so I created a worgen and got to level 5, then logged. Hopefully over the next week or so Hyjal clears out so I can find something to kill.

LiveWire

Evlar said:
They come from clams.

Yea, I saw that note in Wowhead/Thottbot comments, but everywhere they claimed clams are, there were none. I spent 20 minutes swimming around STV's Vile Reef looking for clams, not a damn thing. :lol

LiveWire said:
Yea, I saw that note in Wowhead/Thottbot comments, but everywhere they claimed clams are, there were none. I spent 20 minutes swimming around STV's Vile Reef looking for clams, not a damn thing. :lol

You have to kill mobs and they'll drop clams.

Macattk15

LiveWire said:

Wow.

Yeah, just kill underwater things, crawlers, naga ... etc. They drop the clams. I don't think they were just sitting around though.

Yaweee

Rare monsters give over a quest's worth of exp, at least at low levels. Is there an updated list of their locations anywhere?

Evlar

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Wow.

Yeah, just kill underwater things, crawlers, naga ... etc. They drop the clams. I don't think they were just sitting around though.
There used to be giant clams visible in the world that could be looted for the various clam materials (clam meat, pearls, etc.) I remember swimming around looting them off the coast of Westfall and STV. They were basically clam-shaped treasure chests... Don't know if they still exist.

But yeah... the best way to get clams is to kill things that live in or near the water.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Archeology confuses me.

I collected 30 night elf artifacts to make [Scandalous Silk Nightgown]. Now it's telling me to collect 30 more to make [Necklace with Elune Pendant].

1. Are you required to make all the common crap for every race?
2. Why do you know what you're collecting for before hand?

Decided to just suck it up and go to Hyjal instead of focusing on alts.

I'm actually really enjoying the zone on my prot paladin. The fight for mobs last night was pretty crazy, but there is a decent balance of horde:alliance so there wasn't any pvp problems.

I also tanked Blackrock Caverns. Pretty fun instance. I really like the new instance quest system--run past a trigger on the floor, get a new quest. Very easy. =)

I wanted to check out BRC and Throne of the Tides last night but the DPS queue time was up to 30-40 minutes! Before Cata, it was 10-15 minutes.

Dresden

I hopped on my paladin and quested for a bit in Hyjal.

I hate paladins now. Ret feels like a peashooter and I'm so tired of healing, so no Holy for me (although exospam makes questing a cinch). I think I'll revisit this guy and make him a prot tank in a few weeks. Until then... warlock, here I come.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
DeathNote said:
Archeology confuses me.

I collected 30 night elf artifacts to make [Scandalous Silk Nightgown]. Now it's telling me to collect 30 more to make [Necklace with Elune Pendant].

1. Are you required to make all the common crap for every race?
2. Why do you know what you're collecting for before hand?
I think this profession is mainly for people who are interested in lore. I'm at 485 skill and almost everything I've made has been a grey item. Their main "value" is the flavor text you get on the completed artifacts page. VERY rarely you'll happen upon a "rare" artifact that will take you around 100 fragments to complete. So far the rares I've got has been 2 companion pets and an item that spawns some dancing dwarves. Right now I'm on my way to completing the skeletal raptor mount, which is surprising cause I thought that'd be something they'd only let you make at max level, so it seems pretty random when you'll get something special to make.

Evlar

Banned
sykoex said:
I think this profession is mainly for people who are interested in lore. I'm at 485 skill and almost everything I've made has been a grey item. Their main "value" is the flavor text you get on the completed artifacts page. VERY rarely you'll happen upon a "rare" artifact that will take you around 100 fragments to complete. So far the rares I've got has been 2 companion pets and an item that spawns some dancing dwarves. Right now I'm on my way to completing the skeletal raptor mount, which is surprising cause I thought that'd be something they'd only let you make at max level, so it seems pretty random when you'll get something special to make.
How exactly do the "key" items work? Will they complete ANY artifact, including the rares, at any percentage?

Magnus

Bisnic said:

Right?

I don't advocate the idea of character recustomization costing as much as it does, but honestly....if you're going to re-roll at level 40 just for a race change, wouldn't you rather pay $30 and be done with it right away? All the time it takes to get to level 40 is definitely worth $30 to me, even at the current speedy leveling rate.

Color me a little bitter for rerolling to a human from a dwarf (same class and everything) nearly two years ago before race changes went live. Could've kept some cool old stuff on the old priest, like my Amani War Bear. :( New one has a Val'anyr though, so I'm happy. :)

And the whole process got me a Shaman and a Hunter out of it too, at 60 or so. RAF ftw.

Level 82 to 83 is a big jump in xp required. I burned out on boring kill quests. The quest design is utter trash so far in this expansion, as much as I love the areas. Barely anything new or exciting. The bear cub tossing shit was the only one of note.

And why can't they make the named NPC mobs that usually end a quest chain TOUGH? Why do they barely have 10-30k more life than an average mob and go down just as quickly? Why is this shit so easy? I mean, it's just like BC and WotlK I guess...but even they had the occasional Elite quest where you needed to team up to take something down, or at least it was soloable, but only if you were really fucking good. I miss that.

I guess I need to break up my leveling with more dungeon runs, even if it is slower.

Have yet to do any save Throne of the Tides and Blackrock Caverns.

Stonecore and more tonight! :)

Bisnic

Magnus said:
I don't advocate the idea of character recustomization costing as much as it does, but honestly....if you're going to re-roll at level 40 just for a race change, wouldn't you rather pay $30 and be done with it right away? All the time it takes to get to level 40 is definitely worth $30 to me, even at the current speedy leveling rate.

Dude, it takes only a few days to get from 1 to 40. Some hardcore players could do this in less than 24 hours if they wanted to. Why would you waste 30$ just to save a few hours?

SnakeswithLasers said:
Gah, getting chest and shoulder upgrades sucks. =(
I just can't bring myself to drop my 20% exp bonus from my two heirlooms. =P

Hope you are not using the heirlooms on your lvl 80+ characters. It doesnt work for them.

notworksafe

Evlar said:
How exactly do the "key" items work? Will they complete ANY artifact, including the rares, at any percentage?
Yes, any fragment from a race can be used to complete any artifact of that race. Better items require more fragments. Like the Raptor mount takes 100 fragments of Fossil. So I can't use Troll/Dwarf/Orc/etc digsites to get fragments to complete it.

Magnus

Bisnic said:
Dude, it takes only a few days to get from 1 to 40. Some hardcore players could do this in less than 24 hours if they wanted to. Why would you waste 30$ just to save a few hours?

Are you kidding me? My "few days" are worth more than $30. You'd really plunk down and do it all over again?

If it takes more than three hours to get to level 40, I could work a minimum wage work shift and make the $30 in that time. :lol

webrunner

notworksafe said:
Yes, any fragment from a race can be used to complete any artifact of that race. Better items require more fragments. Like the Raptor mount takes 100 fragments of Fossil. So I can't use Troll/Dwarf/Orc/etc digsites to get fragments to complete it.

There are items called "keystones" as well. They're apparently the equivalent of 12 fragments: http://www.wowhead.com/item=63127 (others are linked from the comments)

According to wowhead some can also be used in daily dungeon quests to gain bonuses while in that dungeon: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28798

Bisnic

Magnus said:
Are you kidding me? My "few days" are worth more than $30. You'd really plunk down and do it all over again?

If it takes more than three hours to get to level 40, I could work a minimum wage work shift and make the $30 in that time. :lol

Why not? It's fun and its all new now. Unless you hate lvling. Then i guess paying 30$ to avoid doing that is ok for people like you.

vilmer_

I just received my CE in the mail and I got a loot card in the card deck! The only thing is, I'm at Landro, but I'm not sure which option to pick to input the code - there's a ton of different options :/

Evlar

Banned
webrunner said:
There are items called "keystones" as well. They're apparently the equivalent of 12 fragments: http://www.wowhead.com/item=63127 (others are linked from the comments)

According to wowhead some can also be used in daily dungeon quests to gain bonuses while in that dungeon: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28798
Mmm-hmm, I was asking about keystones, couldn't recall the name. I have three or four now, haven't used them in case they should be reserved for the rare artifacts. Good to know.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
vilmer_ said:
I just received my CE in the mail and I got a loot card in the card deck! The only thing is, I'm at Landro, but I'm not sure which option to pick to input the code - there's a ton of different options :/
Look on the loot card. Mine said Wrathgate 1/3. Then you just choose that and input the code. Hope you have better luck than I do. I got 50 flower petal things. -_-

Yasser said:
fuck me this thing takes ages to install off dvd, it's taken an hour for 31%
Weird. Took me like 5 minutes from the DVD.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Evlar said:
Keystone items (such as http://www.wowhead.com/item=52843 ) will only add points (or "fragments") to items of that race. But only some artifacts allow you to supplement fragments with a keystone. Some artifacts that require many fragments allow you to add multiple keystones.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
NameGenerated said:
Look on the loot card. Mine said Wrathgate 1/3. Then you just choose that and input the code. Hope you have better luck than I do. I got 50 flower petal things. -_-
I got some pet biscuits lol. Wanted a spectral tiger!!!

vilmer_

NameGenerated said:

Sweet. Do I then click Landro's Gift Box?

Edit - 50 pet biscuits :(

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
vilmer_ said:
Sweet. Do I then click Landro's Gift Box?

you also have to enter the code on another website which has you choose the server you wanted to redeem the code for, then you go to booty bay and enter the new code they give you on the redeem site.

Edit* oh, yeah, right click to open.....

webrunner

NameGenerated said:

Yasser said:
fuck me this thing takes ages to install off dvd, it's taken an hour for 31%

Did one of you install to an existing install and another install fresh?

Also: Why the hell does the Cataclysm disc, which includes the cataclysm content on it, still require a 7.5 gig patch download? Shouldn't at least some of that already be on my computer :/

Yasser

NameGenerated said:
webrunner said:
Did one of you install to an existing install and another install fresh?
no idea, i just put in the disc and let it autorun, clicked install and am now letting it do its thing, didn't see an option to distinguish between only expansion and entire game

webrunner

Yasser said:
no idea, i just put in the disc and let it autorun, clicked install and am now letting it do its thing, didn't see an option to distinguish between only expansion and entire game

Well i assume if you already had Wow installed it would just "update it"

but you can install Wow/BC/Wotlk from the Cata disc, as well, assuming you're installing new.

Bisnic said:
Hope you are not using the heirlooms on your lvl 80+ characters. It doesnt work for them.
Ya, I am using it on my 80... That's not intuitive at all then! Didn't realize the XP bonus didn't scale.

Edit: Oh well though! On the bright side, I get to use armor I am getting. =)

Gonna run the hell out of BRC tonight for the tanking pieces. Also going to pick up atlas loot and make a wishlist.

Tamanon

Banned
Won said:
Just finished my first archeology thing....I guess it's kinda pointless doing this while leveling. :(

I've enjoyed it while leveling my Warrior. I'm up to 95 now, mainly doing sites that are near where I'm leveling or that have quests nearby. Decent XP for a little side jaunt, especially since I typically have to kill mobs to get to the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom