• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
5thjhl.jpg

:D

Full-Size Link

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've been having a blast leveling up my Tauren Paladin. I love Taurens and Paladin is fun. For kicks, I tried rolling a Goblin because I enjoyed them in Azshara when I was leveling up. I honestly couldn't make it past level 8. Knowing that Gallywix is their leader, then seeing how he treats them and your interactions with him? No thanks. This dude makes Garrosh and Varian look like boy scouts. Then Thrall makes him leader after all Gallywix did? WTF?

Nah, no thanks. Back to my mild manner Tauren for me. I like Goblins, I just couldn't stomach being one for some reason.

Dunlop

Rpgmonkey said:
Saw an 85 priest with twice as much health as me (Tank), had no idea the health increase was going to be THAT huge. :lol

yeah the jump is crazy as everything is stamina. I made teh Alchemy off hand (+380 stamina) and with a buch of greens and blues I am at 70k hp for a lvl 83 priest.

Aurarian

Got to 85 last night on my Prot Warrior. Now to gear myself up for heroic dungeons/work on professions/quest in the two zones I did not go to which are Uldum and Hyjal.

Was hoping to hit 85 last night, but only made it half way through 84, damn is that level a long one. Still not bad since I only started playing 2PM Tuesday, stopped around 3AM, and then was able to play about nine hours yesterday. Was not a huge fan of Mt. Hyjal, liked Deepholm (and all the damn ore), and I am loving Uldum except for a few quests having spawning problems. It is weird that on most quests I have mobs respawning on me while I am finishing one off and then on others you are flying in circles with five other people looking for mobs to kill. Also usually I hate pop culture references in WoW, but I had to smile at the Harrison Jones quests and the music that kept playing.

Have not spent a ton of time on tradeskills yet except for getting Mining to 525 fairly fast. I did not get enough Obsidium myself in Hyjal to level Blacksmithing up to the point where I could use the 400 bars of Elementium I am sitting on so I started selling some of them off. I can not turn down making 15G a bar when they will be fairly easy for me to farm more of after I hit 85. Also need to go farm cooking mats since the ones I need to level right now are going for 5-6G a piece on the AH and I do not need to level it fast that badly.

The instances so far have been pretty good although Blackrock got kind of old fast since it remindes me too much of every other BRM instance we have seen so far. Vortex is probably my favorite so far as it is fast and fun. I am however getting sick of idiots trying to rush everything like we are in WotLK still. Several times now I have gotten into a group and of course need to swap from Ret to Holy so I can heal. Multiple times the tank has pulled with me still at zero mana and once I was still in my Ret gear. That time the tank died fairly quickly, I called him an idiot, and left the group.

I have had a lot of good groups as well though who do not mind taking the time explaining things so you can learn what is going on and not wipe all over the place. Although once on Vortex where only one person had been there before the guy asked "So do you guys know about the orbs?" right as we were running up the stairs. That ended kind of messy. :lol

Kintaro said:
Nah, no thanks. Back to my mild manner Tauren for me. I like Goblins, I just couldn't stomach being one for some reason.

I cannot stand Goblins much less play as one. Makes me sad that their starting area is divided off since I want to see it lore wise so I guess I am stuck playing as one.

Dunlop said:
yeah the jump is crazy as everything is stamina. I made teh Alchemy off hand (+380 stamina) and with a buch of greens and blues I am at 70k hp for a lvl 83 priest.

I loved being in an instance run where I as the healer (80k) had more health than the tank (70k).

Aurarian

webrunner said:
question: do 81-85 quests have the same grey/green/yellow thresholds as pre-81 quests? Are 81 quests still green at 85?

Yeah, I've seen someone link a quest from Hyjal and it was green for me.

Effect

CassSept said:
Wait until you get to Uldum (83-84 zone). Half of it is original story, while another half is basically one huge reference to Indiana Jones (all parts) and, well, nazis.
I usually think they're overdoing it, but Uldum quests are so good I think they redeem themselves :lol

Nice.

I don't so much mind the references in the game. It's nice to remember that it is actually a game. The references makes things sometimes genuinely funny as well.

Infinity

Started a Goblin Hunter last night. Love the intro quests and the "5.0".

Was really frustrated when
They made you turn in your keys to the car!
But it was expected.

How are you guys doing in heroics? I started grinding out a few level 85 dungeons (Grim Batol, Lost City, and another I can't remember because I've been awake for 36 hours), and actually found them a bit challenging. My healer was running out of mana every second pull, and were actually using our CC abilities. I can't imagine how much worse it gets in heroic.

Aurarian

I haven't gotten a chance to do any 85 normals or heroics yet. I'm still waiting on some guildies to get to 84 at least so we can try. We blew threw ToT, Stonecore, VP, and Blackrock Caverns like nothing. I hope the 85 dungeons provide some much needed challenge.

Evlar

Banned
iammeiam said:
Is Stranglethorn Vale the place to go for Alliance leveling in the mid/late-20s? I just got directed there from Darkshire, but am sort of disappointed to find the same "go fight the Kurzen people and get random drops" quest from four years ago. Did it get passed over in the makeover?
Northern Stranglethorn starts more-or-less the same with minor tweaks. Don't know how it ends, there's a new quest hub (for Alliance) far to the south, but I bailed to the Cape of Stranglethorn before I got to the end of those quest lines. I don't know if it improves.

The Cape, though... that's fucking fantastic. Don't miss it.

Macattk15

funkmastergeneral said:
How are you guys doing in heroics? I started grinding out a few level 85 dungeons (Grim Batol, Lost City, and another I can't remember because I've been awake for 36 hours), and actually found them a bit challenging. My healer was running out of mana every second pull, and were actually using our CC abilities. I can't imagine how much worse it gets in heroic.

Listening to some of my guildies doing heroics last night, it's apparently fucking tough.

funkmastergeneral said:

Does not surprise me, I was actually running out of mana while healing on some of the big pulls in Vortex last night. Actually annoying because parties are so used to not having to stop to drink. I would be drinking up and see them engage the next group.

Speaking of which does anyone know where I can buy some newer water? The few I get from mob drops do not cover it and every vendor I check has the old stop still (even in new zones). I would just look it up, but pretty much every WoW site is blocked here at work.

Fularu

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Our guild did all the heroics yesterday (or maybe not Blackrock caverns, don'T remember) while I was doing my last few quests to 85. They didn't seem to have much troubles with them at all. A few mechanics to understand here and there and they were rolling.

Now to gear up in normals before I can do heroics tonight >< then first raid tomorow night, can't wait!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Evlar said:
Northern Stranglethorn starts more-or-less the same with minor tweaks. Don't know how it ends, there's a new quest hub (for Alliance) far to the south, but I bailed to the Cape of Stranglethorn before I got to the end of those quest lines. I don't know if it improves.

The Cape, though... that's fucking fantastic. Don't miss it.

Dont skip the north STV quests. You'll miss the awesome "Control a baby raptor inside Zulgurub while using its abilities to avoid the trolls" quest!

Manus

If I bought the Celestial Steed would that be a 310 mount or is it like all the rest? I would buy it for my alt if it's 310.

webrunner

SquirrelNuckle said:
If I bought the Celestial Steed would that be a 310 mount or is it like all the rest? I would buy it for my alt if it's 310.

There's no such thing as a "310% mount" any more, all mounts become 310% mounts when you get Master Riding.

If you had a 310% mount before 4.0.1, or get the holiday meta-achievement, you are given Master Riding for free.

In fact, I think most mount speeds are gone, and it's all dependant on riding speed now?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Trying to decide on a second profession for my Goblin Warrior. I know I want to be an Engineer and another toon with mining and JC can farm the mats.

Blacksmithing- What are the pros beyond extra sockets? I don't see me standing around town advertising patterns. I can just get a guildy to make a pattern for free. Is there a daily that is profitable?
Enchanting- I'm afraid to disenchant all the greens and give up guaranteed vendor gold.
Alchemy- I guess I could level up herb and drop it when I'm 85. Prob would be a better idea to level up another toon that's my gatherer.

Bisnic

webrunner said:
There's no such thing as a "310% mount" any more, all mounts become 310% mounts when you get Master Riding.

If you had a 310% mount before 4.0.1, or get the holiday meta-achievement, you are given Master Riding for free.

In fact, I think most mount speeds are gone, and it's all dependant on riding speed now?

Yes, even the lvl 20 mounts that used to be 60% speed only before are now 100% if you bought the new riding skill at lvl 40.

Garryk

jlai said:
So my Rogue is now 83 and I'm getting a feel for him in dunegons (leveled this guy just for Cat so no real dungeon/raid experience). For multi-mob trash (3-5) packs what exactly is the preferred method? I've tried:

-Just spamming FoK w/ auto attack
-FoK x3, Mut ->SnD, FoK spam until ~2 guys left then switch to single target rotation
-Single target SnD > Rup > Env rotations

Pulled about 6.5k DPS in Stonecore earlier doing a mix of all 3 of these. Are any of those the correct methods? Or could someone please point me to the max DPS way? Currently assassination 31/2/6. Thanks!

On trash you will use FoK (make sure you have deadly poison applied to your throwing weapon). Once you get stacks of DP built up on the trash switch to single target rotation.

Evlar

Banned
Bisnic said:
Yes, even the lvl 20 mounts that used to be 60% speed only before are now 100% if you bought the new riding skill at lvl 40.
Really? Hah! Didn't know that. (I did know about the flying skill.)

Got to 82 on my prot pally yesterday. It's nice running BRC and having complimentary groups. I jumped back into WotLK late enough that groups weren't all that appreciative of tanks doing a good job, since there wasn't much to actually do. =P

Still thinking about heading to Vash to unlock the instance there. Anyone know of a good guide to that instance? I like to read up before I head in.

I have to say though, all this talk of boatloads of HP isn't affecting me yet. I've still only got around 43k ... But maybe that will all change drastically at 83 and new zones.

Rapstah

SnakeswithLasers said:
Got to 82 on my prot pally yesterday. It's nice running BRC and having complimentary groups. I jumped back into WotLK late enough that groups weren't all that appreciative of tanks doing a good job, since there wasn't much to actually do. =P

Still thinking about heading to Vash to unlock the instance there. Anyone know of a good guide to that instance? I like to read up before I head in.

I have to say though, all this talk of boatloads of HP isn't affecting me yet. I've still only got around 43k ... But maybe that will all change drastically at 83 and new zones.
I did ToT as a healer. There aren't really any hard mechanics for any fights (I'm assuming you figure the trash out. Spread out for naga witches and kill small slimes quickly):

First boss (naga woman thing):
Kill adds when they show up. Interrupt her interruptible spell (crucial). Don't stand on the geysers she spawns.

Second boss (faceless one):
Only has one million HP, went down before he spawned two void zones for me. He spawns void zones you shouldn't stand in, the spawn is associated with a 40% hit on the tank (for out group) which had to be quickly healed.

Third boss (shaman dude and the mind control squid) (optional):
Hardest fight. In phase 1, interrupt the lava spell that's interruptible and dps the boss. At some point, the mind control squid jumps off, starting phase two. This phase took 10 minutes for us because two DPS were dead. The squid will mind control one person at a time, which uses advanced MC AI (using all the victim's spells). Also spawns toxic pools you shouldn't stand in and does a party-wide Mind Flay which can be LoS'ed by everyone except the tank by standing behind the pillars of the room.

Fourth boss (water god gauntlet/giant squid):
Protect the water god guy from the adds that spawn. Preferrably get the large faceless ones first. When you've downed the first phase, four big Faceless Ones will spawn and channel the boss while Shadowfiends spawn: kill the Faceless Ones first and then the Shadowfiends while staying out of the black fog the Shadowfiends spawn. You will then get super powers and have to DPS down the squid before the DOT he casts on you kills everyone. I crit 150k+ in this phase and I'm a healer. Quite easy.

webrunner

Rapstah said:
I did ToT as a healer. There aren't really any hard mechanics for any fights (I'm assuming you figure the trash out. Spread out for naga witches and kill small slimes quickly):

First boss (naga woman thing):
Kill adds when they show up. Interrupt her interruptible spell (crucial). Don't stand on the geysers she spawns.

Second boss (faceless one):
Only has one million HP, went down before he spawned two void zones for me. He spawns void zones you shouldn't stand in, the spawn is associated with a 40% hit on the tank (for out group) which had to be quickly healed.

Third boss (shaman dude and the mind control squid) (optional):
Hardest fight. In phase 1, interrupt the lava spell that's interruptible and dps the boss. At some point, the mind control squid jumps off, starting phase two. This phase took 10 minutes for us because two DPS were dead. The squid will mind control one person at a time, which uses advanced MC AI (using all the victim's spells). Also spawns toxic pools you shouldn't stand in and does a party-wide Mind Flay which can be LoS'ed by everyone except the tank by standing behind the pillars of the room.

Fourth boss (water god gauntlet/giant squid):
Protect the water god guy from the adds that spawn. Preferrably get the large faceless ones first. When you've downed the first phase, four big Faceless Ones will spawn and channel the boss while Shadowfiends spawn: kill the Faceless Ones first and then the Shadowfiends while staying out of the black fog the Shadowfiends spawn. You will then get super powers and have to DPS down the squid before the DOT he casts on you kills everyone. I crit 150k+ in this phase and I'm a healer. Quite easy.

Man they LOVE that mechanic.

Rapstah

webrunner said:
Man they LOVE that mechanic.
There are also around three types of trash mobs in the instance that do the same thing, and one that does a ground pound that functions identically. How many of those mechanics did the Warlock understand? None.

Rapstah said:
There are also around three types of trash mobs in the instance that do the same thing, and one that does a ground pound that functions identically. How many of those mechanics did the Warlock understand? None.
Some fights are DPS checks, others are functional IQ checks.

Bisnic said:
"but i herd fire make u warm and dakr circles was making ppl more powerful u no"

I ran Grim Batol this morning, and was running out of the dark circles some mob was creating. Then at the end I noticed what standing in the circle actually did: gave me a 50% damage increase. Circles aren't always bad to stand in.

Rapstah

funkmastergeneral said:
I ran Grim Batol this morning, and was running out of the dark circles some mob was creating. Then at the end I noticed what standing in the circle actually did: gave me a 50% damage increase. Circles aren't always bad to stand in.
Aren't those the circles that also increase your damage TAKEN by the same amount? I know the Deadmines "anti-magic shield"-type things do that.

Rapstah said:
Aren't those the circles that also increase your damage TAKEN by the same amount? I know the Deadmines "anti-magic shield"-type things do that.

Well, I only noticed the tooltip on the absolute last pull of the instance before the final boss, and I could have sworn it only said a 50% damage increase. It may be that way, but it wasn't a shell or a void zone, just a purple circle on the ground. Possibly after the dragonkin died? I'm not totally sure.

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:

I know they arent always bad, but do you really want to risk standing in a circle that might one shot you to find out if it gives a buff or not?

Bisnic said:
I know they arent always bad, but do you really want to risk standing in a circle that might one shot you to find out if it gives a buff or not?

Well you kind of have to in your first time running any dungeon, test out what's good and what's bad. It's blizzard's fault for putting beneficial circles and circles of death in the game.

Speaking of circles of death...Any warlock players in here? I noticed whenever I group with a warlock a purple circle always surrounds the mob he's attacking. What spell is that? At first I ran away from it like a good little melee dps, until I realized it wasn't coming from the enemy. I would just ask the warlock in game, but after getting chided in my first WotLK dungeon for telling the tank to put on a shield (he was a DK) I don't find it's worth the hassle anymore. If you don't know the mechanics for every other class you're a terribad noob apparently.

Flib

funkmastergeneral said:
Well you kind of have to in your first time running any dungeon, test out what's good and what's bad. It's blizzard's fault for putting beneficial circles and circles of death in the game.

Speaking of circles of death...Any warlock players in here? I noticed whenever I group with a warlock a purple circle always surrounds the mob he's attacking. What spell is that? At first I ran away from it like a good little melee dps, until I realized it wasn't coming from the enemy. I would just ask the warlock in game, but after getting chided in my first WotLK dungeon for telling the tank to put on a shield (he was a DK) I don't find it's worth the hassle anymore. If you don't know the mechanics for every other class you're a terribad noob apparently.

I'm wondering that too. I kept moving the mobs since it seemed like I was tanking in void zones, until I realized it was from the lock.

I think it is this:

Hand of Gul'dan Level 85
7% of base mana 40 yd range
2 sec cast 12 sec cooldown
Summons a falling meteor down upon the enemy target, dealing 1406 to 1660 Shadow damage and erupts an aura of magic within 4 yards, causing all targets within it to have a 10% increased chance to be critically hit by any Warlock demons. The aura lasts for 15 sec.

Kraftwerk

funkmastergeneral said:

Its a new lock spell. Forgot what its called. It basically deals shadow damage over a few seconds.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I think it is this:

Hand of Gul'dan Level 85
7% of base mana 40 yd range
2 sec cast 12 sec cooldown
Summons a falling meteor down upon the enemy target, dealing 1406 to 1660 Shadow damage and erupts an aura of magic within 4 yards, causing all targets within it to have a 10% increased chance to be critically hit by any Warlock demons. The aura lasts for 15 sec.

No because I was seeing it in wrath.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
About 55% through level 83. Uldum is fucking beautiful, i was a bit concerned that up to now i hadn't really had any "Holy crap wow" moments, but Uldum and Vortex Pinnacle = WOW.

Also, i'm a 'lock. Was levelling Demonology when i first started 80-81, did BRC then stuck with Destro after that for levelling. I feel like i'm gunning down mobs so much faster.

Dunlop

I'm getting a little annoyed that when solo grinding as a Shadow Priest I am having mana issues while my guildmates are laughing about the zero downtimes they are having : (

Macattk15

Dunlop said:
I'm getting a little annoyed that when solo grinding as a Shadow Priest I am having mana issues while my guildmates are laughing about the zero downtimes they are having : (

Yeah that sounds like it'd be annoying. As a Warrior it's just chain pull after chain pull ripping Victory Rushes through mobs and giggling like a schoolgirl.

Aurarian

Macattk15 said:
Yeah that sounds like it'd be annoying. As a Warrior it's just chain pull after chain pull ripping Victory Rushes through mobs and giggling like a schoolgirl.

Man, you have no idea. At 84, I was getting 27k heals with that. I never went down more than 85% health while questing unless I managed to get three or so but Victory Rush took care of me when one died.

Kraftwerk

vitaminwateryum said:
Get out of class today, come home and turn my PC on....video card is fried. FML. I was so close to 85 :(
=/ im not too good at this computer tech stuff, but cant you use the integrated video card that the pc comes with for now?

Raide

Kraftwerk said:
=/ im not too good at this computer tech stuff, but cant you use the integrated video card that the pc comes with for now?

That would depend on him actually having one. Also, most of them are pretty crappy, so with Cata having a higher spec requirement (Only a bit more) he might not be able to run it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom