• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's almost funny seeing Ghostcrawler (the spirit beast) wandering around completely alone and untouched every time I wander through the Abandoned Reef harvesting obsidium.

It helps that despite not being elite, you couldn't kill him without gear since he has 1.7 million health.

Sai-kun

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's almost funny seeing Ghostcrawler (the spirit beast) wandering around completely alone and untouched every time I wander through the Abandoned Reef harvesting obsidium.

It helps that despite not being elite, you couldn't kill him without gear since he has 1.7 million health.

I saw him but I was only 84 :(

Any tips for taming him? Anything special I should know?

Trickster

Angry Grimace said:
http://i.imgur.com/ySJC8.jpg

What a cad!

Is that a quest i missed in uldum, or is he just gonna continue to fly around and breathe fire in random zones until the raid instance is released?

Meteorain said:
So I was making my recently dinged 85 DK run around gathering ores and herbs when I ran into that cave just outside Ogrimmar (yea yea, never levelled professions really before) when i randomly got buffed by a mob in there making me "Fel-Infused".

It gave me the demonology demon state! My Ghoul too!
Sorry for the fail scr's. My minion refuse to move away more!

I noticed in the second screenshot you are still transformed even though the buff has faded, how you do that? I want this perma on my druid, it works with flight form :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sai-kun said:
I saw him but I was only 84 :(

Any tips for taming him? Anything special I should know?
He has a shit load of health, i.e. 1.5m, and he hits like a truck. He also has a debuff called nerfbat.

Lumine

I finished Hyjal which brought me to lv82, then I went to Vashjir and I'm almost lv83 now but getting rather bored of the zone. It was neat at first, but it's getting a drag now. Is it worth trying to finish this zone or should I just head to deepholm or something? Feels kinda wierd, I'll probably be 85 before I've even seen half of all the new zones. I have yet to discover the 2nd instance as well. Also my whole guild is already lv85, but they're nuts. :lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
He has a shit load of health, i.e. 1.5m, and he hits like a truck. He also has a debuff called nerfbat.

blegh. you think he'll kill me before i finish? I can freeze trap + tame him though right?

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
You are dismissing the fact that Paragon is probably ten times more skilled than your guild.

I'm sure they are better. But that "skill" can't make up even "avg DPS" needed for said fight (plus lack of healing, or not enough mitigation/hp pool needed), which relies on RNG and capabilities based off the stats of your gear. Skill doesn't make you hit harder, heal harder, or dodge more "attacks" (fire on ground doesn't count obviously or other mechanics, which are assumed).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I like how "make bosses harder" = make bosses overtuned and too gear heavy.

Good job fucking this one up Blizzard, TBC still owns this game. Vanilla too.

Raide

Yoshichan said:
I like how "make bosses harder" = make bosses overtuned and too gear heavy.

Good job fucking this one up Blizzard, TBC still owns this game. Vanilla too.

Blizzard just cannot make people happy. Players want a challenge that makes the team work together, others cry their eyes out because some HC boss is kicking their Blue/Green geared ass, so they nerf them to the point of being pointless.

Between casual players and Hardcore raiders, Blizzard keeps siding with casual players. From Vanilla onwards, Blizzard has slowly been making their game way more accessible to people who play for shorter amounts of time. Great for the expanded audience, not so great for those that love raiding.

markot

Banned
zlatko said:
So I'm almost level 36 and just saw this Glyph option in the talent menus. How what huh ? Can someone give me the 4-1-1 ?
Check the AH for glyphs for your class, they basically alter or add to spells and abilities. Prime do alot of change, Major do decent change, minor are largely cosmetic/fun.

Hit 85 last night, spent my saved up JP on a Holy helmet/shield, and then ran Grim Batol and Lost City. Only got in on the last two bosses in Batol, but it seemed like a pretty cool place. We wiped once on the last boss due to people not standing in the spiral when it spawned (another case of a ground zone being GOOD) and not killing adds fast enough, but otherwise it was painless and I got a few upgrades.

Lost City was smooth as well with us only wiping on the priest once and the final boss once, both due to it being the first time for all of us. I got another upgrade or two out of there and I am inching close to the needed average gear for Heroics. I think I am 3 level shy right now, but based on how I am burning mana on some fights I think I might try to get a little higher if I plan on doing any Heroics with randoms.

I have to say this is a big difference from WotLK where my mana bar barely moved while I was healing bosses. Now I sometimes have to be careful on trash packs, but that is mainly due to people still not using CC. I have to say though that as the healer I can usually tell in Cat dungeons if we are doing a boss wrong based solely on my mana and looking at the health of the boss. For instance I knew we were doing the last Lost City boss wrong when I was down to 25% mana and his health bar had barely moved.

As for trade-skills I really think they need to do something about Obsidium spawns in the two level 80 zones. I went out looking for some last night to work on my blacksmithing and I only found one node. I refuse to drop 50G a bar when the recipes I have right now need a good 10-20 bars (although that is for +5 skill points). Elementium was better, but when I went back to Deepholm last night I noticed the spawns were not as heavy as they had been the first two days. Luckily I got there fast enough, but sadly I sold off most of my bars since I was sitting on so many and was not ready to use them for blacksmithing. I will probably wait until next week to see how things look once those zones clear out before I finally resort to paying absurd prices for metal.

Lumine

Is there a reputation bug in Vashjir? I've done lots of quests in it already, but earthen ring rep is still in neutral. Or is this normal?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Lumine said:
Is there a reputation bug in Vashjir? I've done lots of quests in it already, but earthen ring rep is still in neutral. Or is this normal?

Sounds like a bug, I remember getting a majority of the quests done, except for a couple and leaving the zone as honored.

SUPARSTARX

lol wow. The amount of scrubs playing this game astound me.

Got booted out of a group because I oom'd on a first pull and saved everyone from an early wipe. Apparently drinking is illegal too.

Lumine

vitaminwateryum said:
Sounds like a bug, I remember getting a majority of the quests done, except for a couple and leaving the zone as honored.

Yeah seems wierd to me. I've sent a GM ticket, but who knows how long those will take. :p

Meteorain

ChronicleX said:
I noticed in the second screenshot you are still transformed even though the buff has faded, how you do that? I want this perma on my druid, it works with flight form :lol

Actually I managed to cap a scr just as the buff fell off. So that just some lucky timing :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any quest that leads you to instances in the new high lvl zones? I've already done ~80 quests in Vashjir and still got nothing leading me to Throne of Tides. Guess I have to swim there myself if i want to queue for it? Also, is it like the new low lvl instances where all the instance quests are inside the instance?

Mazre

Milpool said:
Do want, what level is your archaeology?

Just shy of 300 right now. I think I got the pet as a project around ~120 skill and the mount around ~220 skill. The mount and pet are both rare fossil artifacts and it seems more or less like random chance as to whether or not they will show up as your current project. For reference I've completed 38 common artifacts and 2 rare ones to this point. The weird thing about archaeology is that you know you'll be getting something cool well in advance of actually getting it. Pet was 85 fragments and the mount was 100 vs the 30-35 fragments for a common artifact.

SUPARSTARX said:
lol wow. The amount of scrubs playing this game astound me.

Got booted out of a group because I oom'd on a first pull and saved everyone from an early wipe. Apparently drinking is illegal too.

This is so damn frustrating for me as well, no one wants to wait for me to sit and drink after a heal heavy fight. I definitely miss the only days where a tank would keep and eye on the healer's mana to know if they should pull. Thankfully a guild run last night was the exact opposite where the tank would ask every few pulls if I was OK on mana still before moving on. The funny part about this is that guild runs are usually less mana intensive since people know what the hell they are doing.

I wish there was a way to add a ranking system to the dungeon finder so you could get grouped with people at similar skill level. Of course this would doom the idiots to continuous failure.

Meteorain

I'm quite enjoying the lack of face rolling these new instances are providing.

I smile to myself now that healers are telling me to eat food between packs since they go oom pretty damn quickly. That being said, some of them are just damn shit. I feel for Holy Pala's though, they got it rough.

Also quite liking the fact you have to actually CC the mobs with freezes/silences/stuns/etc. It makes it a lot more interesting and challenging. I have to say though, I am quite dissapointed by the dps of most players. My UH DK seems to one of very few capable of doing 10k+ dps. I'm like in half blue gear and am quite consistently doing 40% of the party dmg.

Also if you are a Hunter and are not using Aspect of the Fox, you're doing it wrong. Being able to attack whilst moving = best shit you got. Especially now that you have to dodge a lot of shit. No more stand and nuke.

SUPARSTARX

Evil Benius said:
This is so damn frustrating for me as well, no one wants to wait for me to sit and drink after a heal heavy fight. I definitely miss the only days where a tank would keep and eye on the healer's mana to know if they should pull. Thankfully a guild run last night was the exact opposite where the tank would ask every few pulls if I was OK on mana still before moving on. The funny part about this is that guild runs are usually less mana intensive since people know what the hell they are doing.

I wish there was a way to add a ranking system to the dungeon finder so you could get grouped with people at similar skill level. Of course this would doom the idiots to continuous failure.
It's unfortunate that we have to bang this out until people, on the mainstream, start to realize that the Cataclysm changes affecting healers are very big and you can't steam roll everything, especially in greens/blues.

Dunlop

Playing around with my alchemy now, the illusion potion would be awesome except for the minor detail that it lasts for 2 minutes thus making it beyond useless ; (

forgrim

Meteorain said:
I'm quite enjoying the lack of face rolling these new instances are providing.

I smile to myself now that healers are telling me to eat food between packs since they go oom pretty damn quickly. That being said, some of them are just damn shit. I feel for Holy Pala's though, they got it rough.

Also quite liking the fact you have to actually CC the mobs with freezes/silences/stuns/etc. It makes it a lot more interesting and challenging. I have to say though, I am quite dissapointed by the dps of most players. My UH DK seems to one of very few capable of doing 10k+ dps. I'm like in half blue gear and am quite consistently doing 40% of the party dmg.

Also if you are a Hunter and are not using Aspect of the Fox, you're doing it wrong. Being able to attack whilst moving = best shit you got. Especially now that you have to dodge a lot of shit. No more stand and nuke.

Might I ask to emphasize the bolded part? I'm a main spec Prot Pal, but my secondary is Holy, but I haven't ran any dungeons yet as a healer, so what's the main issue?

SUPARSTARX

The healer classes/specs are fine. People just need to adjust.

I'm the kind of healer that will dunk out all the necessary heals to my character's last dying breath when things get rough. But right now for most fresh level 85 healers, that's pretty much the case until they pick up proper level 85 blue items.

Meteorain

forgrim said:
Might I ask to emphasize the bolded part? I'm a main spec Prot Pal, but my secondary is Holy, but I haven't ran any dungeons yet as a healer, so what's the main issue?

As far as I can tell. Mana issues. We've got a really damn good pala healer in our guild and he just says the cost of the spells are utterly ridiculous in comparison to his mana pool. Also been noticing just pala healers in general are having this problem.

He's not 85 yet though, so it may change once he gets used to it or it may not.

Aurarian

Got a chance to do all the 85 normals last night. My first time through Halls of Origination and Tol'vir was shall we say not as smooth as I hoped and the mindset from last expansion is still there. Mobs hits hard, a lot harder than the early 80 dungeons. After those two I did Grim Batol with a mostly guild group and it was much smoother when you can be in sync with the people in a dungeon. We also tried Tol'vir and Halls again. Second time around was a way better run.

I'm still pretty mad about the questing rewards bias toward dps, everyone else in my dungeon groups are ready for heroics and due to quests sucking and shitty drop rates, I haven't gotten much tank gear. Hopefully I can get the last couple of points to bump me up today.

Meteorain said:
As far as I can tell. Mana issues. We've got a really damn good pala healer in our guild and he just says the cost of the spells are utterly ridiculous in comparison to his mana pool. Also been noticing just pala healers in general are having this problem.

I am definitely noticing mana issues, but it is mainly due to people being impatient/not knowing the fights. These new bosses are currently not forgiving at all when it comes to people not avoiding the avoidable party wide damage effects. The old standing in void zones/not hiding kind of thing. Worrying about mana actually makes some of the boss fights fun because I have to figure out when to pop my mana renewal skill that reduces healing by 50% for 15 seconds and not get our tank killed. Also when done right I am seeing most boss fights ending with me getting worried about mana and then seeing the boss has 10% health left. This means they are actually tuned fairly well.

I do think it is a valid complaint though on how much healing some of the trash packs take. People are just not used to having to sit and drink after every other pack and I can see that as a valid complaint. Keep me on my toes during the trash, but do not make me burn out on mana. Of course if people would use CC right then this would not be a problem.

Aurarian said:
I'm still pretty mad about the questing rewards bias toward dps, everyone else in my dungeon groups are ready for heroics and due to quests sucking and shitty drop rates, I haven't gotten much tank gear. Hopefully I can get the last couple of points to bump me up today.

I noticed this with some of the holy plate gear as well. I did not replace my ToC shoulders until I was almost 85.

SUPARSTARX

Meteorain said:

If he's not 85 thenn lol!

I'll tell you what my stats are right now

74,000 unbuffed mana with level 85 blue normal and heroic items
2146/2624 mana regeneration

My priests spells w/ -10% instant cast reduction cost
heal 1853 mp
greater heal 5559 mp
flash heal 5769
binding heal 5765
renew 3890 mp
circle of healing 3890 mp
prayer of healing 5353 mp
prayer of mending 3335 mp
holy nova 2779 mp
divine hymn 7412 mp
lightwell 6177 mp
holy word: sanctuary 9059 mp
holy word: serenity 1482 mp
guardian spirit 1111 mp

Flib

Meteorain said:

Holy pallies are currently far and away the best healers, so he needs to adjust.

Mr Nash said:
Is there a vendor anywhere with PvP gear for lvl 85s? I've found the justice and valor point vendors no problem, but no such luck for someone to buy new, high-end things with honor points.

I have not seen any vendors yet, but their are crafting recipes for entry level blue PvP gear on vendors in Twilight Highlands. It looks like you need to exchange raw materials for the recipes.

Infinity

Flib said:
Holy pallies are currently far and away the best healers, so he needs to adjust.
This is encouraging, because as a protection paladin, I've debated going to healing as a secondary spec, but wasn't sure how good it would be since most of the healers I group with are either priests or Druids.

ultron87

So I just got my priest to level 30. First healer I've ever leveled. Is the general idea for healing in instances to just use Renew and Heal as much as possible and only busting out Flash Heal or anything else more mana intensive when absolutely needed? That's what I've been doing so far and it makes my mana last pretty long, does that paradigm shift at higher levels or can I keep going with that plan?

Flib

ultron87 said:
So I just got my priest to level 30. First healer I've ever leveled. Is the general idea for healing in instances to just use Renew and Heal as much as possible and only busting out Flash Heal or anything else more mana intensive when absolutely needed? That's what I've been doing so far and it makes my mana last pretty long, does that paradigm shift at higher levels or can I keep going with that plan?

You'll have to use all of your toolbox when you get to the cataclysm content, but that's fine for low levels.

ultron87

Cool. Thanks.

Also, Lightwell: any good, or waste of a talent point?

I feel like I don't trust the DPS in my party to actually click on the thing mid fight.

Dunlop

Flib said:

yeah I'm not ready any encouraging things about when I start playing my priest as holy again.

If I power through it tonight I should hit 85 or at the latest tomorrow night. Any insights on what I should spend my justice points on as I plan on healing in dungeons?

For low level a complete waste, at higher level it is still a waste but you wont have much else to spend the point on.

it is only a waste because it will be completely ignored by the party/raid

Did heroic Lost City last night by mistake. I just wanted to go for the quest that gave the nice mail healing bracers, but I accidentally selected the heroic version. We ended up wiping on every boss (this was a pug group by the way), but still managed to clear it. The trash wasn't that bad. Had a rogue sap and hunter frost trap for CC. I know blizzard said they wanted fairly consistent damage, but there were points where the tank goes down to 30% real quick. I had to constantly use my cheap healing wave, and when he went too far down put out a couple of greater healing waves. Sometimes it was very close. I think this might be because we were under geared, especially me at 329. And when AoE happens, it basically does become a triage. During the fights I have said screw it and let the rogue or the hunter sit at 40% for a while. I will say that this is much better than Wrath because I had to actually use my cooldowns/slash abilities, ie mana tide and nature's swiftness. For heroics, I think I would shoot for around an average item level of 340, which still makes it hard.

After that I did a normal Grim Batol with no wipes. The only death was to the retadin by the Forge masters mace. Lesson learn: kite in that mode. Trash normally took out 30% of my mana. If it was real hard, then lower than 50%. I lucked out in that both groups knew how to work together. They CC targets and focus fire on one mob at a time. Also, Grim Batol had some pretty easy fights: Forgemaster with his weapon switching and the Faceless One with his stand in his AoE. Now I would say normal mode is just right if everyone works together correctly. When it comes to heroic, just one idiot can ruin the whole thing. There is a very big jump in gear check as well. The one suggestion I would make would be to lower the power that AoE damage does. This way you aren't punish so harshly for mistakes. I mean what does Blizzard want to achieve with the fight? To teach the player the mechanics and have a good time. Lower AoE allows for a shallower learning curve. It would also help me not have a panic attack.

ultron87 said:
Cool. Thanks.

I feel like I don't trust the DPS in my party to actually click on the thing mid fight.
Create a macro that sends a raid warning to CLICK THE LIGHTWELL when you cast it!

Dunlop said:
yeah I'm not ready any encouraging things about when I start playing my priest as holy again.

If I power through it tonight I should hit 85 or at the latest tomorrow night. Any insights on what I should spend my justice points on as I plan on healing in dungeons?

For low level a complete waste, at higher level it is still a waste but you wont have much else to spend the point on.

it is only a waste because it will be completely ignored by the party/raid

Before you spend your points look at what some of the factions are selling:

The Earthen Ring I'm rocking the healing neck at honored.

Guardians of Hyjal Got the sweet mail healing pants at revered

The Cat People Only honored with them, but they have a nice belt at revered I want

Therazane Have their ring from revered

Alliance:

Wildhammer Healing hat from honored for me

Horde:

Dragonmaw

You could also run Lost City for this quest reward: http://www.wowhead.com/item=66910

Dunlop

Dr. Pangloss said:
Before you spend your points look at what some of the factions are selling:

The Earthen Ring I'm rocking the healing neck at honored.

Guardians of Hyjal Got the sweet mail healing pants at revered

The Cat People Only honored with them, but they have a nice belt at revered I want

Therazane Have their ring from revered

Alliance:

Wildhammer Healing hat from honored for me

Horde:

Dragonmaw

You could also run Lost City for this quest reward: http://www.wowhead.com/item=66910

thanks!

LiveWire

Raide said:
Between casual players and Hardcore raiders, Blizzard keeps siding with casual players. From Vanilla onwards, Blizzard has slowly been making their game way more accessible to people who play for shorter amounts of time. Great for the expanded audience, not so great for those that love raiding.

I still have never seen a single raid/endgame instance above the standard 5-mans. That's a lot of great content I will never get to see as a paying customer for the original and 3 expansions. I don't have the time to sink into being involved in a guild to the point of raiding. If I could somehow show up once a week for 3-4 hours to raid? Sure, I'd love that. But I don't know of a single guild that would let a member do that.

If Blizzard was trying to reach the casual audience more than the hardcore, I would think they'd create modified 5-man versions of the endgame raids with appropriately lowered gear rewards. I'd love to see that. The only thing I've noticed about the game is that they want to help you get your main/alts to high levels faster, so for the hardcore, they can get into their guilds with alts faster, and for the casuals to see a better, quicker sense of progression and less tedious grind. I think their changes have benefited both sets of customers.

I love what they've done to the game, only complaint I have is that I can't access a good portion of content merely because of time constraints. :/

Flib

LiveWire said:
I still have never seen a single raid/endgame instance above the standard 5-mans. That's a lot of great content I will never get to see as a paying customer for the original and 3 expansions. I don't have the time to sink into being involved in a guild to the point of raiding. If I could somehow show up once a week for 3-4 hours to raid? Sure, I'd love that. But I don't know of a single guild that would let a member do that.

If Blizzard was trying to reach the casual audience more than the hardcore, I would think they'd create modified 5-man versions of the endgame raids with appropriately lowered gear rewards. I'd love to see that. The only thing I've noticed about the game is that they want to help you get your main/alts to high levels faster, so for the hardcore, they can get into their guilds with alts faster, and for the casuals to see a better, quicker sense of progression and less tedious grind. I think their changes have benefited both sets of customers.

I love what they've done to the game, only complaint I have is that I can't access a good portion of content merely because of time constraints. :/

You can find guilds that would accomodate that. You just need to put in the time to research.

The modified 5-man raids wouldn't really work due simply to how the encounters work. Many of them just wouldn't work with 5 people (council fights especially). There is still plenty of content for you to do aside from raids, though you're definitely missing out as they're the most fun part of the game, imo. The new cata dungeons are basically mini-raids at this point though, so enjoy them.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wasn't planning on getting a toon to 85 fast, but i don't want to miss everything before possible nerfs, familiarization, and raid gear help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom