• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

idlewild_

TurtleSnatcher said:
So I'm 84.. Just hit Uldum... But I'm hearing quest rewards in Twilight Highlands are so much mroe superior.. and will get me better geared at 85..

I will go through Uldum eventually but should I do Twi Highlands then?

the start and end of uldum is a little slow if you watch all the cutscences, like i do, instead of skipping them. a friend of mine was doing the starting twilight highlands quests at the same time as i was doing the mid/end uldum ones, and he was gaining xp at 1.5-2x the rate I was.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
I'm sure they are better. But that "skill" can't make up even "avg DPS" needed for said fight (plus lack of healing, or not enough mitigation/hp pool needed), which relies on RNG and capabilities based off the stats of your gear. Skill doesn't make you hit harder, heal harder, or dodge more "attacks" (fire on ground doesn't count obviously or other mechanics, which are assumed).
Skill accounts for a lot, but you don't care because you whine incessantly about everything. I'm trying to bear with you, but it really tries the patience when you try to earnestly argue that virtually every single facet of the game is dumb and designed wrong.

krypt0nian said:
Anyone else having big problems with the Random Dungeon Finder since yesterday?

I have two dungeons unlocked and it worked great for me yesterday sending me to ToT. Now today I'm 83 and have much better gear, but it tells me I don't meet the requirements for the selected dungeons (the same two)...

1) is this a known bug?

2) how can you easily see your iLevel in-game?
That's exactly what I was remarking on earlier. Glad to see it's not just me.

MattPeters said:
What is considered a lvl 85 dungeon in Cata? Is it just the heroics?

Grim Batol, Halls of Origination, and Lost City of Tol'vir are the highest level dungeons. They have lvl 85-87 mobs but the drops only require lvl 83 to equip.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
SnakeswithLasers said:
I haven't played my warrior in a while. And haven't been 21 in years. However, I'll give this a shot.

At 21, there isn't that much you can do. At 24, you'll get cleave which will make your job easier.

But for now, run into the mobs, thunderclap to get snap aggro on all of them (I presume you can't charge from defensive stance yet?), then shield slam the main target. From there, tab target around the different mobs and throw a sunder on them. When shield slam is back up, use it again on the main target. When you have a boatload of extra threat, use heroic strike on something.

Make sure you're in defensive stance and use thunderclap whenever it's up.

I'm not absolutely sure about warrior leveling, however, you may want to invest in the Blood and Thunder talent and open your rotation with a Rend before Thunderclap just to get more aggro. You might find it difficult to get that extra GCD in though if your group is too aoe dps happy when you wade in.

This will change dramatically as you get higher level and more abilities, but it is the bare basics of tanking.

Right now, I don't think your priority (on packs) is probably:

Thunderclap > Shield Slam > Sunder (and heroic strike whenever it's off cooldown and you're floating a lot of rage)

On bosses you'll just move Thunderclap down and move Shield Slam to the top.

Edit: I'm assuming Victory Rush is probably above Sunder on the priority list right now. Also, keep Battle Shout up and make sure to only taunt when necessary (aka, when someone else is being attacked). Taunt doesn't do anything to a mob that is already attacking you.

Thanks for the tips. I do have blood and thunder so i usually run in and rend then thunder if there's a pack of mobs. Then it's shield slam and heroic strike along the way. Seems to work but now i've picked up cleave so i should probably start using that now too.

So many abilities. I miss healing :lol

Hixx

notworksafe said:
Can right click on the mob portrait or use

Code:
/script SetRaidTarget("target", #)

with the # being the number of the raid icon
1=Star
2=Circle
3=Diamond
4=Triangle
5=Moon
6=Square
7=X
8=Skull

Marks can also be keybound using the keybinding menu. On my Paladin I have the kill order (skull, x, diamond) bound to numpad 1, 2, 3.

Nymerio

So, me and a fried have decided to completely start over on a new server. He's rolling a shaman and I think I'll roll a hunter. Are there any profession combos that are especially good for a hunter?

Tamanon

Banned
Nymerio said:
So, me and a fried have decided to completely start over on a new server. He's rolling a shaman and I think I'll roll a hunter. Are there any profession combos that are especially good for a hunter?

Engineering is pretty good.

Skinning/Leatherworking is actually really good now for hunters, especially Leatherworking. Plus you'd be able to make stuff for both of you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nymerio said:
Well, the only combination specifically good for any given class is the gathering profession which supports the crafting profession for that class. However, those professions basically just drain money until level 85, in reality.

If you want a profession you don't hate, Engineering/Mining. LW is okay, but you'll never make much money off it. I personally like herb/alchemy, but that's just me.

markot

Banned
evlcookie said:
Thanks for the tips. I do have blood and thunder so i usually run in and rend then thunder if there's a pack of mobs. Then it's shield slam and heroic strike along the way. Seems to work but now i've picked up cleave so i should probably start using that now too.

So many abilities. I miss healing :lol
Always use cleave if you have more then 2 mobs, and get ze talent that makes revenge hit 2 mobs. Basically you should always be cleaving and thunderclapping when they are off cd on packs of mobs.

But yeah, outside of that if you are losing aggro, get morans to attack ze mobs you are >.< lots of DPS still have trouble with the concept of everyone attacking one target...

Angry Grimace

markot said:
Always use cleave if you have more then 2 mobs, and get ze talent that makes revenge hit 2 mobs. Basically you should always be cleaving and thunderclapping when they are off cd on packs of mobs.

But yeah, outside of that if you are losing aggro, get morans to attack ze mobs you are >.< lots of DPS still have trouble with the concept of everyone attacking one target...
Bind the Skull, X, Nipple and Box to F5-F8.

Angry Grimace

TheExodu5 said:
Engineerig is pure awesome. Portable vendor/repair/bank, mail box, teleporters, rocket boots, parachute, and tons of other fun stuff.
Originally, in 3.2, Engineering had a portable Auction House, too.

I'm too lazy to actually make Jeeves, even on characters where I have the recipe. It's just too expensive.

I am really loving uldum so far. I've always had a fascination with Egyptian themes, so it's heaven for me.

I hope I can find those camel statues, wouldn't mind they grey camel mount.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm level 41, and was wondering about mounts. I rolled a Worgen so my first mount was free, but at 40 I'm supposed to buy a journeyman mount right? Any suggestions on this ?

Repgnar

What's the general consensus on what zones to be to level in? I'm in Hyjal right now, 82 and like 3 bars in. I plan on finishing out the zone if I can get the achievement for doing x amount of quests there then roll out to the next zone. Vashj'ir sounds like a love it or hate it kind of place, should I hit that one up next or go to Deepholm? You guys been cleaning out zones of their quests or going to the next zone when you reach the next level?

Retro

Finished Hyjal this afternoon on my main, who's now 82 and decked out in fucking greens again. I liked the zone, and even on a notoriously brutal PVP server, ganking was light (and comprised mostly of 85s e-peening it up in the starting areas).

Phasing was nice, lore was excellent, and we haven't had a night elf-centric area in a while. Loved it. I'd like to head to Uldum next but it doesn't seem an option so I guess... Deepholme.

No dungeons yet. I'm kind of intimidated because all of my tanking gear is green. Still, can't hurt to try, ay?

Dmorr07 said:
What's the general consensus on what zones to be to level in? I'm in Hyjal right now, 82 and like 3 bars in. I plan on finishing out the zone if I can get the achievement for doing x amount of quests there then roll out to the next zone. Vashj'ir sounds like a love it or hate it kind of place, should I hit that one up next or go to Deepholm? You guys been cleaning out zones of their quests or going to the next zone when you reach the next level?
I would go to Deepholm after you are done. Really fun zone, and some great quest rewards.

My route was vash'ir -> deepholm -> uldum. I'm half way through 84 right now, I'll be 85 before uldum is done. I do every quest in a zone before I move on.

Twig

Banned
Dunno if anyone else has been following Tom Chick's* recent WoW diary thing (starts here), but he just put up the last post.

In particular, this is what I've been trying to get at** with my complaints about JOKES:
Somewhere around the quest where I've been tasked with checking out the big brain on Braddock, I decided I'd had enough. Yeah, we've all seen The Matrix, Star Wars, Monty Python skits, and Simpsons episodes. That doesn't mean we have to bring them up all the time. Immersion is a frail bubble. It takes careful work to create and maintain. World of Warcraft doesn't even try.

And I suppose that's fine. Not every MMO has to be a deep immersive experience. But World of Warcraft frequently and actively forces me out of its own world because it thinks its being funny. This works sometimes (for example, a skunk chasing a black cat). Mostly it doesn't (for example, checking out the big brain on Braddock). So rather than taking this "throw all the jokes at the wall and see which ones stick" approach, I wish World of Warcraft would trust the mythology its build up over the years.
That second paragraph in particular. The vast majority of the time, the jokes are just not funny, and they rip me right out of the game world.

I don't necessarily need (or WANT) WoW to be the most immersive game imaginable, but it is annoying seeing that crap literally everywhere. ):

*Lots of people on GAF hate him because he has opinions and isn't afraid to share them. Fuck knows I've disagreed with him plenty of times, but I still think he's a fantastic writer.

**Though it's pretty evident I'm the only one who cares, so I'll probably stop bringing it up. O;

Retro

Twig said:
Though it's pretty evident I'm the only one who cares, so I'll probably stop bringing it up. O;

I'm in the same boat as you. The little references and in-jokes have always annoyed me more than they've amused me, and it really does take you out of the game world.

That said, I think MMOs need a little humor and can't really take themselves too seriously. WoW though is just too blatant with it and the quality isn't even hit or miss... it's mostly miss.

Rapstah said:
Oh, as you speculated, that's not the issue. It's giving you the wrong error message and you may or may not be able to queue - for other reasons - with the criteria you're using.

Found a workaround for the dungeon finder nonsense. You have to physically enter one of the 4 dungeons then the queuing system works again. It's nothing to do with my bank.

markot

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Originally, in 3.2, Engineering had a portable Auction House, too.

I'm too lazy to actually make Jeeves, even on characters where I have the recipe. It's just too expensive.
Jeeves is awesome >_< bank and vendor! Plus he is a Mecha Gnome!

Angry Grimace

Twig said:
Dunno if anyone else has been following Tom Chick's* recent WoW diary thing (starts here), but he just put up the last post.

In particular, this is what I've been trying to get at** with my complaints about JOKES:

That second paragraph in particular. The vast majority of the time, the jokes are just not funny, and they rip me right out of the game world.

I don't necessarily need (or WANT) WoW to be the most immersive game imaginable, but it is annoying seeing that crap literally everywhere. ):

*Lots of people on GAF hate him because he has opinions and isn't afraid to share them. Fuck knows I've disagreed with him plenty of times, but I still think he's a fantastic writer.

**Though it's pretty evident I'm the only one who cares, so I'll probably stop bringing it up. O;
It's because there are over 9000 quests per expansion and only so many of them can be serious storylines. The idea here is that only a certain type of nerd really wants a full RP experience over the course of 300 quests.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Worgen starting area is so bad.

On the other hand Worgen females are pretty hot.

DILEMMA.

Haly

The story is okay but the quests oh god.

I expected more considering how fun the Goblin starting area was. Gilneas is just a giant chain of "Kill X" and "Collect Y" quests.

Worgen has a nice casting animation though, I like how it feels like I'm lobbing spells. Shame about their run, it's awkward as hell to look at.

Retro

markot said:
Whats wrong with the worgen starting area >_<?

Out of the two statements he makes, THAT'S the one you question? Not the one that invokes images of bestiality and sweaty man-children in mascot costumes grinding on each other? :lol

Edit: In other, less Yiff-ier news... Archaeology is officially more obnoxiously boring than fishing. Imagine if fishing required you to move around each body of water, casting repeatedly to try and figure out exactly where the fish was. A tedious, pointless diversion made even more annoying by the fact that Survey has a 5 minute cooldown.

Good job Blizz. You invented a more boring-ass way to watch paint dry. :lol

Twig

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's because there are over 9000 quests per expansion and only so many of them can be serious storylines. The idea here is that only a certain type of nerd really wants a full RP experience over the course of 300 quests.
I wouldn't care if they were actually funny. But they're not.

Retro said:
I'm in the same boat as you. The little references and in-jokes have always annoyed me more than they've amused me, and it really does take you out of the game world.

That said, I think MMOs need a little humor and can't really take themselves too seriously. WoW though is just too blatant with it and the quality isn't even hit or miss... it's mostly miss.
Yeah, I agree. Humor is necessary if you're going to make a game as expansive as this. The problem for me is that Warcraft already HAD a humorous tone to it a decent amount of the time. I'm a huge fan of the classic "zug zug" and the general goblin attitude seems to fit with the "Warcraft humor" category as opposed to the "internet memes" and "pop culture references" categories. The former, I am a fan of, but the latter two... not so much!

C'est la vie.

Haly

Retro said:
Out of the two statements he makes, THAT'S the one you question? Not the one that invokes images of bestiality and sweaty man-children in mascot costumes grinding on each other? :lol
Woah woah woah. I don't know about you but in my version of the game the Worgen look like werewolves as they are usually represented in fiction.

Maybe you should ask Blizz why your game has the wrong models?

:p

Retro

Halycon said:
Woah woah woah. I don't know about you but in my version of the game the Worgen look like werewolves as they are usually represented in fiction.
Halycon said "Worgen females are pretty hot.", so I was making the obligatory furry reference. If you don't know what that is... don't google it, you'll be better off my far... trust me. The description I provided was pretty accurate.

Also, on the subject of archaeology... here's a post of mine from September of '09 on how I thought the profession should be done. Ironically, later in the thread I mention that blizzard "can't have it too exciting. Then nobody would fish..."

I didn't think they'd actually make Fishing exciting by comparison. :lol

Any clue why after Cata hit, I have Recruit of instead of just Guild name?

My guild leader hasn't found the setting to fix it. Some of his charas have the same issue.

Edit: I guess it's based on the new guild reputation system. I wonder when it changes.

Retro

Lafiel said:
They are indeed hot. I <3 my female worgen druid.

v3q0dd.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Haly

Lafiel said:
They are indeed hot. I <3 my female worgen druid.
Mine is a druid too, and I got to level 7 before I realized that I'd spent 90% of my game-time in cat/bear/moonkin/tree form.

Sadness.

Thinking of starting a new one, maybe Warrior.

Loxley

Just finished the Worgen starting area; fucking loved every minute of it. Very well done, Blizzard nailed the atmosphere. I really liked the amount of in-engine cut-scenes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom