• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
LiveWire said:
If I could somehow show up once a week for 3-4 hours to raid? Sure, I'd love that. But I don't know of a single guild that would let a member do that.

You could do that at the end of Wrath. You didn't even need a guild. There were pugs starting up all the time to do ICC and the whole dungeon only takes several hours. So it was possible, on my server anyway.

I've been away from WoW for a while since before Cataclysm but I've been playing for about a week again now. Question for my fellow Paladins out there. Does the Blazing Light talent increase Holy Shock's healing as well, or just it's damage as the description indicates?

LiveWire

Flib said:
The modified 5-man raids wouldn't really work due simply to how the encounters work. Many of them just wouldn't work with 5 people (council fights especially). There is still plenty of content for you to do aside from raids, though you're definitely missing out as they're the most fun part of the game, imo. The new cata dungeons are basically mini-raids at this point though, so enjoy them.

What about assigning AI/NPCs to fill the roles? The John J. Keeshan mission series is a good example. Assign each player in a 5-man group 3 NPCs, boom, 20 man raiding group.

Flib

LiveWire said:
What about assigning AI/NPCs to fill the roles? The John J. Keeshan mission series is a good example. Assign each player in a 5-man group 3 NPCs, boom, 20 man raiding group.

Sorry, but that would be terrible. You really need to try a raid sometime to see why that wouldn't work well. It's not a question of just having more bodies.

I mean, I'm all for making the endgame accessible (as in no endless grinds for resistance gear / attunements etc.), but in the end, raids are raids for a reason. They are the hardest encounters in the game and require more people, and that's the way it should be. You wouldn't be really seeing the content in that case.

And really, getting 10 people together isn't that hard at this point.

Try my first run through of some heroics last night and it wasn't as bad as expected. Trash for the most part didn't require much CC, bosses weren't difficult as long as you knew the mechanics. That seemed to really be it, if you fuck up the mechanics you wipe. There's no brute forcing your way through yet. So playing with stupid people through random dungeon finder would be awful.

Also is anyone else experiencing absurd queues as a dps? in WotLK I could get into a dungeon in 10 minutes max, but now I'm waiting upwards of 30 minutes.

vilmer_

funkmastergeneral said:
Try my first run through of some heroics last night and it wasn't as bad as expected. Trash for the most part didn't require much CC, bosses weren't difficult as long as you knew the mechanics. That seemed to really be it, if you fuck up the mechanics you wipe. There's no brute forcing your way through yet. So playing with stupid people through random dungeon finder would be awful.

Also is anyone else experiencing absurd queues as a dps? in WotLK I could get into a dungeon in 10 minutes max, but now I'm waiting upwards of 30 minutes.

I had a 45 minute wait last night on my Mage :/ Needless to say, I got back on my Pally for a bit after that :lol

I think I've experienced a couple of bugs--anybody else notice these?

I have my hearth set to the first inn in Hyjal, yet when I hearth there, I don't get the "Inn buff" (so, no "ZZZ" over my head and when I /exit, I have to click "exit now" or wait for the countdown). Weird. Definitely a bug.

However, the other "bug" has to do with the dungeon finder. The first couple of days I was able to randomly queue up for a dungeon and get placed in BRC (as it's the only Cata dungeon that I've physically been to). Now, on the same character, when I click "Random Dungeon" I get a message that I'm not eligible for the dungeon that was selected. I've tried to click it over and over again and I get the same message. When I actually go in to "Specific Dungeon" I can run BRC and it's an instant queue (lol tank).

WTH?

vilmer_ said:
I had a 45 minute wait last night on my Mage :/ Needless to say, I got back on my Pally for a bit after that :lol

Man thats garbage. I guess healers and tanks are actively staying out of random dungeon finder due to the amount of idiots and how tough the dungeons are right now.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I think I've experienced a couple of bugs--anybody else notice these?

I have my hearth set to the first inn in Hyjal, yet when I hearth there, I don't get the "Inn buff" (so, no "ZZZ" over my head and when I /exit, I have to click "exit now" or wait for the countdown). Weird. Definitely a bug.

However, the other "bug" has to do with the dungeon finder. The first couple of days I was able to randomly queue up for a dungeon and get placed in BRC (as it's the only Cata dungeon that I've physically been to). Now, on the same character, when I click "Random Dungeon" I get a message that I'm not eligible for the dungeon that was selected. I've tried to click it over and over again and I get the same message. When I actually go in to "Specific Dungeon" I can run BRC and it's an instant queue (lol tank).

WTH?

Did this happen after leveling up or something? Maybe it won't let you randomly queue for BRC since you have access to other dungeons and just haven't explored them yet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You need to find more than 1 instance to use the "random dungeon" high lvl Cataclysm instances I would guess. It's not really random if you only can queue for 1.

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:

Are you speaking about heroic queues?

Because its quite obvious the queue is longer for Cata heroics...i mean think about it. There isnt quite as many 85s right now as there was 80s a few weeks ago... Many people are still at school or at work this week remember, and most of those people are still questing and are only lvl 81 or 82.

Bisnic said:
Are you speaking about heroic queues?

Because its quite obvious the queue is longer for Cata heroics...i mean think about it. There isnt quite as many 85s right now as there was 80s a few weeks ago... Many people are still at school or at work this week remember, and most of the people are questing.

I had about the same wait time for random dungeons while leveling up, too. However it wasn't as bad as I would just do the dungeons between quests, now the waiting game has me doing stuff like archaeology. blech.

Bisnic said:
You need to find more than 1 instance to use the "random dungeon" high lvl Cataclysm instances I would guess. It's not really random if you only can queue for 1.
It was letting me do it earlier in the week though. Very strange that it's decided not to do it anymore.

I'm also pretty sure when I was 68 I could queue for a random dungeon and it would only put me in UK.

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:
I had about the same wait time for random dungeons while leveling up, too. However it wasn't as bad as I would just do the dungeons between quests, now the waiting game has me doing stuff like archaeology. blech.

I think it will go back to 10-15 mins once most of the people have done all the quests at least once. I'm sure a lot of people right now would rather make worgens or goblins or doing all the new 80+ quests than queueing in dungeons as much as they can.

Lets not forget you can only queue for a dungeon if you find its entrance now. I'm so busy questing i dont bother looking for the entrance of the Vashjir instance and im probably not the only one.

Bisnic said:
Lets not forget you can only queue for a dungeon if you find its entrance now. I'm so busy questing i dont bother looking for the entrance of the Vashjir instance and im probably not the only one.

It's not until the very end of the zone anyway and the questline takes you there.

Rapstah

I'm not sure if ZZZ still shows up in Cata inns, but you get the same rested bonus from logging out anywhere now, so you're not losing anything except your character staying in the world for 30 seconds.

notworksafe said:
Grats!

Also, LISA NEEDS BRACES

Dental Plan!

SnakeswithLasers said:

I had this when I was leveling up as well, as far as I can tell, if you're eligible for a dungeon in terms of your level but don't meet the gear requirements you can't random at all. It would make more sense if it would just stick you in a random selected from the ones that you do qualify for >.>

Soroc

Bisnic said:

I've only discovered BRC and I was able to queue with the random dungeon finder.

Evlar

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Man thats garbage. I guess healers and tanks are actively staying out of random dungeon finder due to the amount of idiots and how tough the dungeons are right now.
As long as healers are getting kicked for bullshit reasons like needing to stop to drink, as mentioned on the previous page, I guess the queue time isn't long enough.

Evlar said:
As long as healers are getting kicked for bullshit reasons like needing to stop to drink, as mentioned on the previous page, I guess the queue time isn't long enough.

Also tanks getting bitched at when DPS goes balls to the walls immediately and pull aggro. Snap threat isn't there anymore, assholes. At least not for DKs :(

Yaweee

Any good healing addons I should get? I'm still using the default stuff since reinstalling (took ~8 months off). I'm Elemental, and with the new "Spirit on EVERYTHING" approach, all I need to do is use my off-spec for Resto. Oh, and not suck.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:
Any good healing addons I should get? I'm still using the default stuff since reinstalling (took ~8 months off). I'm Elemental, and with the new "Spirit on EVERYTHING" approach, all I need to do is use my off-spec for Resto. Oh, and not suck.

vuhdo

forgrim

Azwethinkweiz said:
Also tanks getting bitched at when DPS goes balls to the walls immediately and pull aggro. Snap threat isn't there anymore, assholes. At least not for DKs :(

This.

There's one thing if it was dps attacking the same target as me, since i can reliably hold 1, while doing aoe nonsense to get the others to stick to me, but the 3 dps think its some sort of race to kill 1 mob each and make it a race to see who can do it first.

Very irritating.

That and the guy who does aoe for every mob pull when we CC, then bitch about moving the pack out of the aoe.

forgrim said:
This.

There's one thing if it was dps attacking the same target as me, since i can reliably hold 1, while doing aoe nonsense to get the others to stick to me, but the 3 dps think its some sort of race to kill 1 mob each and make it a race to see who can do it first.

Very irritating.

That and the guy who does aoe for every mob pull when we CC, then bitch about moving the pack out of the aoe.

Do you normally mark the kill target? I've found making a macro to put the skull on whatever I'm attacking makes things much easier. People are generally pretty dumb but even the biggest retard can attack the skulled target

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
funkmastergeneral said:
Do you normally mark the kill target? I've found making a macro to put the skull on whatever I'm attacking makes things much easier. People are generally pretty dumb but even the biggest retard can attack the skulled target

I do the same on my tank, big skull = kill it first.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
funkmastergeneral said:

what is that macro btw?

notworksafe

Can right click on the mob portrait or use

Code:
/script SetRaidTarget("target", #)

with the # being the number of the raid icon
1=Star
2=Circle
3=Diamond
4=Triangle
5=Moon
6=Square
7=X
8=Skull

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
notworksafe said:
Can right click on the mob portrait or use

Code:
/script SetRaidTarget("target", #)

with the # being the number of the raid icon
1=Star
2=Circle
3=Diamond
4=Triangle
5=Moon
6=Square
7=X
8=Skull

Thanks!!

Anyone know of any good write-ups as to why pally tanking is good right now?

I like healing on my pally, but my first love, especially while leveling, is tanking. So I'd be curious about our tools and why we're so powerful right now. I had a bit of a strain with it post 4.0.1 due to our AoE heal being difficult to aim with groups running about willy nilly. However, I know we have a new one now, so maybe that's a big difference?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Flib said:
You can find guilds that would accomodate that. You just need to put in the time to research.

The modified 5-man raids wouldn't really work due simply to how the encounters work. Many of them just wouldn't work with 5 people (council fights especially). There is still plenty of content for you to do aside from raids, though you're definitely missing out as they're the most fun part of the game, imo. The new cata dungeons are basically mini-raids at this point though, so enjoy them.
They should convert level 60 and 70 raids to 10m LFG-puggable raids. They have basically no purpose at this point.

forgrim

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyone know of any good write-ups as to why pally tanking is good right now?

I like healing on my pally, but my first love, especially while leveling, is tanking. So I'd be curious about our tools and why we're so powerful right now. I had a bit of a strain with it post 4.0.1 due to our AoE heal being difficult to aim with groups running about willy nilly. However, I know we have a new one now, so maybe that's a big difference?

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=4&t=29728&rb_v=viewtopic

Join our Prot Pally group of love.

ultron87

Angry Grimace said:
They should convert level 60 and 70 raids to 10m LFG-puggable raids. They have basically no purpose at this point.

As well as the level 70 and 80 5-mans. Why would anyone go in there if you get 10% experience from the mobs within?

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
They did that with AQ20, not sure why no other older raid got that. I guess I could understand MC/BWL/BT staying the same because they contain Legendaries (and legendary related items). Not sure why everything else remained unchanged. Maybe because AQ40 has mounts?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I get the feeling i have bitten off more than i can chew with a warrior. So many fucking buttons. Even at level 21 i'm finding the amount of buttons to be a bit crazy :lol

I've tanked DM and RFC without any major issues but it's just me spamming buttons that hopefully work for threat.

Am i meant to 3 x sunder straight off the bat or use it in between other abilities? Like shield slam, sunder, heroic, sunder, rend, sunder etc?

Einbroch

Banned
I like the idea of having to choose when to heal and what heal to use, but the spike damage right now is kind of out-of-whack.

I thought they said they wanted more consistent damage with noticeable spikes that come semi-regularly? I'm seeing damage more like Wrath: spikey, unpredictable, and annoying. I use like one heal to every 3-4 Flash Heals/PoHs/Greater Heals. Not to mention the absolutely ridiculous cost of some abilities. Flash Heal heals for ~80% of Binding Heal, and Binding Heal heals me as well as the tank. Why would I ever use Flash Heal when it costs the same amount of mana?

That said, I'm really enjoying the expansion, but holy shit is this expansion gear dependent. I mean, wow. I healed a tank with 100k HP then healed a tank with 115k HP and it was like night and day.

evlcookie said:
I get the feeling i have bitten off more than i can chew with a warrior. So many fucking buttons. Even at level 21 i'm finding the amount of buttons to be a bit crazy :lol

I've tanked DM and RFC without any major issues but it's just me spamming buttons that hopefully work for threat.

Am i meant to 3 x sunder straight off the bat or use it in between other abilities? Like shield slam, sunder, heroic, sunder, rend, sunder etc?
I haven't played my warrior in a while. And haven't been 21 in years. However, I'll give this a shot.

At 21, there isn't that much you can do. At 24, you'll get cleave which will make your job easier.

But for now, run into the mobs, thunderclap to get snap aggro on all of them (I presume you can't charge from defensive stance yet?), then shield slam the main target. From there, tab target around the different mobs and throw a sunder on them. When shield slam is back up, use it again on the main target. When you have a boatload of extra threat, use heroic strike on something.

Make sure you're in defensive stance and use thunderclap whenever it's up.

I'm not absolutely sure about warrior leveling, however, you may want to invest in the Blood and Thunder talent and open your rotation with a Rend before Thunderclap just to get more aggro. You might find it difficult to get that extra GCD in though if your group is too aoe dps happy when you wade in.

This will change dramatically as you get higher level and more abilities, but it is the bare basics of tanking.

Right now, I don't think your priority (on packs) is probably:

Thunderclap > Shield Slam > Sunder (and heroic strike whenever it's off cooldown and you're floating a lot of rage)

On bosses you'll just move Thunderclap down and move Shield Slam to the top.

Edit: I'm assuming Victory Rush is probably above Sunder on the priority list right now. Also, keep Battle Shout up and make sure to only taunt when necessary (aka, when someone else is being attacked). Taunt doesn't do anything to a mob that is already attacking you.

So I'm 84.. Just hit Uldum... But I'm hearing quest rewards in Twilight Highlands are so much mroe superior.. and will get me better geared at 85..

I will go through Uldum eventually but should I do Twi Highlands then?

TurtleSnatcher said:
So I'm 84.. Just hit Uldum... But I'm hearing quest rewards in Twilight Highlands are so much mroe superior.. and will get me better geared at 85..

I will go through Uldum eventually but should I do Twi Highlands then?

I finished Uldum at about 4.5 million exp, and still had to do about 60 quests in Twilight Highlands to hit 85. Even if you go all of Uldum I doubt you'll hit 85.

Anyone else having big problems with the Random Dungeon Finder since yesterday?

I have two dungeons unlocked and it worked great for me yesterday sending me to ToT. Now today I'm 83 and have much better gear, but it tells me I don't meet the requirements for the selected dungeons (the same two)...

1) is this a known bug?

2) how can you easily see your iLevel in-game?

Rapstah

krypt0nian said:
Anyone else having big problems with the Random Dungeon Finder since yesterday?

I have two dungeons unlocked and it worked great for me yesterday sending me to ToT. Now today I'm 83 and have much better gear, but it tells me I don't meet the requirements for the selected dungeons (the same two)...

1) is this a known bug?

2) how can you easily see your iLevel in-game?
For the Item Level:
itemleveleub5.png

Rapstah

krypt0nian said:
And what's the iLvl reqs for the the first for regular Cata dungeons? 272 right?

I currently have 297 and it won't let me queue.
Oh, as you speculated, that's not the issue. It's giving you the wrong error message and you may or may not be able to queue - for other reasons - with the criteria you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom