• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I know someone was in here complaining yesterday about idiots undercutting crafter markets by obscene amounts on the AH and the same thing happened to me on some of my PvP Plate gear right now. Two pieces have been selling well in the 900-1000G range for the last few days and some idiot just came in and put up auctions for each at 700G. I am worried this is going to bring the market down to that level since this stuff usually does not sell will during the day, but clears out well at night. People are pretty active at undercutting too so if one or two people jump in and undercut him we are screwed. I might jump in and buy him out in 30 minutes in the hopes that he logged off and cannot post again.

I am all for people making large undercuts on random drops just to get cash fast, but when you are a crafter you are just hurting yourself doing this.

mclem

Angry Grimace said:
Whatever-his-name's response to my post asking him to think about why those players aren't as good elicited a completely warranted response; the fact you can tell who is better and who is worse at the game doesn't mean you should actively go out of your way to grief them. Players worse than you trying to aren't trying to ruin the game for you. It isn't a fair argument to say they should have skills they were never required to learn.

I should add, since for me it already feels like a lifetime: It's been a little over a *week*. That's all. And a fair chunk of that would have been spent actually *levelling* for the more average players we're talking about.

If they're unwilling to learn, yes, that's a problem, but for some, they may simply not have had *time* to learn. Give 'em that before consigning them to the dustbin of history.

mclem

NameGenerated said:
Fuck Altairus.

We got our kill on him yesterday when the (ex-guildie, competent) hunter had an unfortunate chain of whirlwinds and got knocked off the arena, and the (non-guildie, pug, pretty mediocre) warrior died fairly rapidly, leaving three of us - none *completely* familiar with the mechanics - desperately dancing around trying to make it to the end.

Seven and a half minutes, the fight took, but we got 'im.

Awesomely, the mount dropped, and it went to our lone surviving DPSer.

Cyrillus

Evil Benius said:
Ugh I know someone was in here complaining yesterday about idiots undercutting crafter markets by obscene amounts on the AH and the same thing happened to me on some of my PvP Plate gear right now. Two pieces have been selling well in the 900-1000G range for the last few days and some idiot just came in and put up auctions for each at 700G. I am worried this is going to bring the market down to that level since this stuff usually does not sell will during the day, but clears out well at night. People are pretty active at undercutting too so if one or two people jump in and undercut him we are screwed. I might jump in and buy him out in 30 minutes in the hopes that he logged off and cannot post again.

I am all for people making large undercuts on random drops just to get cash fast, but when you are a crafter you are just hurting yourself doing this.

If you think an item is being listed for too little, and you think it will sell at a higher price, just buy the auctions that are posted low, and re-list them at the price you want (being careful not to over-saturate the market). For example, you probably want only 2-3 of those armor pieces up at a time, it gives the average buyer a sense of rarity and subsequently a sense of urgency in buying those items before they are gone.

In short, if he's undercutting you by more than you'd like, just buy out his items to resell.

mclem said:
If they're unwilling to learn, yes, that's a problem, but for some, they may simply not have had *time* to learn. Give 'em that before consigning them to the dustbin of history.

Yeah I am all for willing to give someone the benefit to try things especially if they admit they are still learning.

I did Heroic BRC with three people from my guild and one PUG Tank last night and as soon as he zoned in he told us it was his first heroic. Alright no problem we told him we would walk him through the fights and help him learn. Things were not bad until we got to the boss with the armor buff that you have to drag through magma. The tank had no idea what a stacked debuff was and still could not figure it out once he saw it on the mob. To his credit he was good at getting only a single stack at a time on the boss, but then he would let it drop instead of adding another stack right when it was about to expire. We must have wiped on that boss six or seven times with even more explanation between each one before we finally killed him.

Then we got to Beauty and he died from standing still in fire and taking a ton of damage. At this point I told everyone else we had to pull in a Guild tank or I had to leave (this was a long run I expected to take only an hour) and they would be down a healer. Brought in one of our MTs and wrapped the place up in 15 minutes.

At this point my new rule is only doing Heroics with a guild Tank, Healer, and at least one DPS. Thankfully the one DK I group with a lot has decided he is going to start tanking seriously so we should be set.

Cyrillus said:
If you think an item is being listed for too little, and you think it will sell at a higher price, just buy the auctions that are posted low, and re-list them at the price you want (being careful not to over-saturate the market). For example, you probably want only 2-3 of those armor pieces up at a time, it gives the average buyer a sense of rarity and subsequently a sense of urgency in buying those items before they are gone.

In short, if he's undercutting you by more than you'd like, just buy out his items to resell.

Oh yeah I normally do a lot, but I only have remote AH at work so I have no idea if he is sitting online. The Mal'Ganis AH is pretty competitive and a lot of people will camp it to re-list items as soon as they sell. I could just be buying out one item for him to put another up at the same price. Ah well I will roll the dice and see what happens.

mclem

Evil Benius said:
I did Heroic BRC with three people from my guild and one PUG Tank last night and as soon as he zoned in he told us it was his first heroic. Alright no problem we told him we would walk him through the fights and help him learn. Things were not bad until we got to the boss with the armor buff that you have to drag through magma. The tank had no idea what a stacked debuff was and still could not figure it out once he saw it on the mob. To his credit he was good at getting only a single stack at a time on the boss, but then he would let it drop instead of adding another stack right when it was about to expire. We must have wiped on that boss six or seven times with even more explanation between each one before we finally killed him.

I should point out that I'm a pretty damn experienced tank, and I've screwed up on that fight a *lot* myself. It's really hard to just trigger *one* tick each time.

Dunlop

Devolution said:
Dude what is wrong with you.

I never said anything about griefing. I said it's pretty easy to tell who is a spoiled wrath player

What does that even mean? I rejoined WOW this january, the only reason I do not have issues is because before my 3 year hiatus I was in a hard core raiding guild.

Had I been a new subscriber and leveled a toon from 1-85 without ever having to use CC even once, these new dungeons would be fucking insane. CC was a fundimental part of WOW and Blizzard is the one who removed it before this expansion.

who refuses to learn how to play properly in Cata.
The expansion has been out for a week and a half, a lot of these people are just hitting 85 now

Well I just check the AH and:

1) This guy has now done this on every piece of Blacksmithing crafted PvP gear.
2) He has already been undercut by several people.
3) He did not sell a single thing.

So he has now dropped the market on all of this armor by anywhere from 100-600G a piece and did not gain a single thing by doing it. I am not going to take on the risk of buying out everyone who dropped the price either since that would require about 20K gold or more to do and I have no guarantee on getting that back. Hopefully the speed that stuff sells at tonight (especially being a Friday) will bring the prices back up. Otherwise some of the stuff is now right on the edge of not being profitable.

mclem said:
I should point out that I'm a pretty damn experienced tank, and I've screwed up on that fight a *lot* myself. It's really hard to just trigger *one* tick each time.

Getting the one tick was not the problem, I know some people get more. However him constantly letting the debuff drop was wiping us.

mcrae

elementium ore was up for about 9-11g per ore on my server. elementium bars were going for 25g each... i check using auctioneer, and there is 63 stacks of 20 elementium bars for that price. holy. shit. someones cornering the market a bit lol
...posted a stack and a half of bars at 24g

mcrae said:
elementium ore was up for about 9-11g per ore on my server. elementium bars were going for 25g each... i check using auctioneer, and there is 63 stacks of 20 elementium bars for that price. holy. shit. someones cornering the market a bit lol
...posted a stack and a half of bars at 24g

I have noticed that as being really normal even during busy hours. I made several thousand earlier in the week just buying up Elementium and Pyrite ore to smelt into bars to resell.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
A few guildies and I have been playing with the critter guild achievements during slow times, so far ok but I was wondering if any of you guys know any great farming spots to kill critters?

Here are the two achieves (50k then 100k)

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5144

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5263

I was too late to get in on the Uldum sheep area in time. Blizzard nerfed it.

Areas I have tried (and/or use)

- EPL Tunnel (Current best spot)
- Penguins in Northrend (Nice but slow'ish respawn)
- Gul'Drak snakes (Bliz changed them to beasts)
- Zul'Garub snakes (Another nice spot with fast respawns but lots of people there on my server questing and it's dangerous because of a specific quest)
- Turkeys in Northrend (not bad, but erratic)
- Rats in Stratho;me (Not bad but slow spawn and only 30-40 there)
- Rats in Tram between SW and IF (Great, insta spawn, but one at a time feels slow)

Anyone have any ideas for instant spawning massive amounts of ccritters? Bugs? something??

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mr Pockets said:
Anyone have any ideas for instant spawning massive amounts of ccritters? Bugs? something??
does it count for critters killed in battlegrounds? in arathi basin at the horde farm a rat constantly respawns (not sure if there's one at the stables too). it was great when I was playing my warrior to build up a full rage bar.

Flib

God dammit, the only heroics I've gotten so far are Deadmines, Halls of Origination, Vortex Pinnacle and Grim Batol. I've done them all multiple times, need nothing out of them, and they just keep popping. So fucking tired of them gahhhh.

forgrim

Flib said:
God dammit, the only heroics I've gotten so far are Deadmines, Halls of Origination, Vortex Pinnacle and Grim Batol. I've done them all multiple times, need nothing out of them, and they just keep popping. So fucking tired of them gahhhh.

At this point, if i ever roll random Grim Batol, i kindly dismiss myself from the group. It takes too long and you need a good group, which sadly, doesn't really happen in Pugs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grim Batol in a pug :lol :lol

Flib

I only do guild runs at this point, so no worries. I wrote about the time we pugged a healer and random dps in there...never again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:D!

ru15S.jpg

Macattk15

My first heroic yesterday was Vortex Pinnacle. I dreaded Altairus, but we proceeded to one shot him with no deaths and in a short amount of time. I dodged all the whirlwinds and seemingly as did everyone else.

I then got into a PUG Deadmines and we cleared that too. Though the healer died about 7 times in the Foe Reaper 5000 lightning ball nightmare and ragequit (I found it hilarious because I had walked back through the thing each time to try to hold their hand through it).

I think I'm just getting lucky on heroics.

Yoshichan

Ramirez said:
Heroic, I'm assuming? I did it last night in regular for the first time no problems...I really can't imagine doing any of these in Heroic with a pug right now, would definitely be a headache. Played with a warrior yesterday who would charge the sheep/sap/trapped pretty much every pull. :lol
Yeah heroic... it's insane.

I'm still level 83, and have been playing as much as I can. It's weird that I'm investing as much time as possible into this game but still not 85. I guess that's the trade-off of working 40 hours a week, owning a house and living with my girlfriend.

I can't even imagine what it'd be like if I had kids! I'd never get to play.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Yoshichan said:
i'm about as far removed from a mount whore as you get (i only have two on my main. black war raptor and the seahorse), but i really want that one. why? cause i like raptors :p

Macattk15 said:
Though the healer died about 7 times in the Foe Reaper 5000 lightning ball nightmare and ragequit (I found it hilarious because I had walked back through the thing each time to try to hold their hand through it).
he's obviously never played a classic mario game.

suzu

Mr Pockets said:
A few guildies and I have been playing with the critter guild achievements during slow times, so far ok but I was wondering if any of you guys know any great farming spots to kill critters?

Here are the two achieves (50k then 100k)

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5144

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5263

I was too late to get in on the Uldum sheep area in time. Blizzard nerfed it.

Areas I have tried (and/or use)

- EPL Tunnel (Current best spot)
- Penguins in Northrend (Nice but slow'ish respawn)
- Gul'Drak snakes (Bliz changed them to beasts)
- Zul'Garub snakes (Another nice spot with fast respawns but lots of people there on my server questing and it's dangerous because of a specific quest)
- Turkeys in Northrend (not bad, but erratic)
- Rats in Stratho;me (Not bad but slow spawn and only 30-40 there)
- Rats in Tram between SW and IF (Great, insta spawn, but one at a time feels slow)

I think the Gilneas zone has sheep herds and dog critters roaming together. Dunno about the spawn rate.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh my god I love CC.

Currently running heroics with two hunters (one of which is me) and a mage. :lol So awesome just freezing/wyverning/sheeping mobs at the same time.

Effect

Since I started playing again I think I've largely ignored the auction house. Even to sell my own items. I've just been selling them to npc merchants. If I find something that is bindable but I can't use I might bank it in case an alt could use it. Any cloth I find I've been sending to my gnome mage to up his tailoring. Have a lot that on my Paladin I need to mail as well.

I just hate seeing things clearly marked for low level players being sold at ridiculous prices. I used to try and sell my items for what I though were just above what the npc would give me for it. However seeing things I made myself being bought low and resold just annoyed me to no end at times.

Macattk15

Sai-kun said:
Oh my god I love CC.

Currently running heroics with two hunters (one of which is me) and a mage. :lol So awesome just freezing/wyverning/sheeping mobs at the same time.

They really need to give Warriors some form of CC ... I mean they gave Retadins one with Repentance ... why can't Warrior have one? We have to be the least desired class in a instance right now ... though I do a ton of damage, both AoE and single target.

The cooldown on Intimidating Shout is far too long (I understand for PvP reasons, but you can't wait 2 mins between heroic pulls ... and seeing how I have to be close to the mobs to do it, the CC generally doesn't hold and the duration is too short).

Granted I can help control mobs with pummels, fears, short stuns, hamstrings ... sunder .... but it just doesn't help enough in heroics.

I made it through Vanilla and TBC without CC's but now that basically every class minus DK's has some form of one .... I'm just tired of not having one.

Evlar

Banned
Effect said:
Since I started playing again I think I've largely ignored the auction house. Even to sell my own items. I've just been selling them to npc merchants. If I find something that is bindable but I can't use I might bank it in case an alt could use it. Any cloth I find I've been sending to my gnome mage to up his tailoring. Have a lot that on my Paladin I need to mail as well.

I just hate seeing things clearly marked for low level players being sold at ridiculous prices. I used to try and sell my items for what I though were just above what the npc would give me for it. However seeing things I made myself being bought low and resold just annoyed me to no end at times.
The great majority of low-level characters are alts funded by wealthy max-level mains. The people charging 25g for a stack of copper ore aren't setting the price based on the money a level 20 blacksmith could earn questing and in instances- they're setting it based on the money that level 20 player's JC main can earn in 5 minutes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Evlar said:
The great majority of low-level characters are alts funded by wealthy max-level mains. The people charging 25g for a stack of copper ore aren't setting the price based on the money a level 20 blacksmith could earn questing and in instances- they're setting it based on the money that level 20 player's JC main can earn in 5 minutes.
And its not like new low-level characters dont have access to a great deal of gold. Cloth, herbs, ores all go for serious money.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The AH is driving my crazy. I think people are sitting back watching people undercut each other over and over and waiting till they get a good price.

Yaweee

DeathNote said:
The AH is driving my crazy. I think people are sitting back watching people undercut each other over and over and waiting till they get a good price.

Why buy something now when you know that prices pretty much have to drop dramatically over the coming days and weeks. It's not "wait to see people undercut!", it's "Why the fuck would Obsidian Bars ever be 20~50g each?"

Effect

Evlar said:

I can understand that (doesn't make it right) but what about armor and weapons clearly that would benefit a low level player. Granted there are a lot of alts but with the population size of WoW brand new people join all the time. Yet they get screwed in the end. I believe it was said that tons of people that do join never make it past level 10. There are a number of reasons for this but I wouldn't doubt that the AH economy has a part to play in that. If drops aren't enough they want to get equipment and figure the AH would be cheaper from buying from an NPC. Only to see a level 5 sword with a simple stat increase being sold for 1g or 25g. I guess enchanters could be buying this to break it down but the items are so low in level I doubt they could be of any benefit if they can afford to pay that price anyway.

I have run into this not only in WoW when I was leveling up but in Everquest 2 (not long after the game was up in running and people were rushing to max level) as well. Luckily when I've encountered this I've been able to pushed myself forward and hoped I'd get decent quest rewards and stopped worried about the AH or broker system. I can understand that the whole process can be frustrating and sometimes help kill enjoyment of a game due to it being abused and not simply working as it was intended. I really dislike player economies.

Rapstah

I absolutely adore the Asaad boss fight, and only because it's so painfully obvious when someone decides mechanics are for noobs and stands in the open while he's channeling. They die. And sometimes I can Life Grip them into the field and yell at them. :D

The Lamonster said:
I'm still level 83, and have been playing as much as I can. It's weird that I'm investing as much time as possible into this game but still not 85. I guess that's the trade-off of working 40 hours a week, owning a house and living with my girlfriend.

I'm in the same boat although I only started last weekend.

My guild isn't all that big but guild exp is always capped when I sign on in the evenings. Some people are just on all day.

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:

I'm in pretty much the same place as you. My play experience has always been starkly opposed to the experience of so many other people in this thread and other forums; nothing in WoW's leveling and gearing grind goes particularly fast for me.

Macattk15 said:
They really need to give Warriors some form of CC ... I mean they gave Retadins one with Repentance ... why can't Warrior have one? We have to be the least desired class in a instance right now ... though I do a ton of damage, both AoE and single target.

The cooldown on Intimidating Shout is far too long (I understand for PvP reasons, but you can't wait 2 mins between heroic pulls ... and seeing how I have to be close to the mobs to do it, the CC generally doesn't hold and the duration is too short).

Granted I can help control mobs with pummels, fears, short stuns, hamstrings ... sunder .... but it just doesn't help enough in heroics.

I made it through Vanilla and TBC without CC's but now that basically every class minus DK's has some form of one .... I'm just tired of not having one.

Macattk15 said:
I'm serious. I'm a rogue!

I was inspired by the trolling thread in OT, but what I said is true. A TON of the plate DPS gear can be used for tanking with reforging being in the game now.

I just don't know what to believe anymore! :lol :lol

idlewild_

Effect said:
I can understand that (doesn't make it right) but what about armor and weapons clearly that would benefit a low level player. Granted there are a lot of alts but with the population size of WoW brand new people join all the time. Yet they get screwed in the end. I believe it was said that tons of people that do join never make it past level 10. There are a number of reasons for this but I wouldn't doubt that the AH economy has a part to play in that. If drops aren't enough they want to get equipment and figure the AH would be cheaper from buying from an NPC. Only to see a level 5 sword with a simple stat increase being sold for 1g or 25g. I guess enchanters could be buying this to break it down but the items are so low in level I doubt they could be of any benefit if they can afford to pay that price anyway.

I have run into this not only in WoW when I was leveling up but in Everquest 2 (not long after the game was up in running and people were rushing to max level) as well. Luckily when I've encountered this I've been able to pushed myself forward and hoped I'd get decent quest rewards and stopped worried about the AH or broker system. I can understand that the whole process can be frustrating and sometimes help kill enjoyment of a game due to it being abused and not simply working as it was intended. I really dislike player economies.

the leveling quest rewards are quite good now, i just leveled a priest and mage to 60 right before cata came out, and barely spent money on them apart from their mounts/bags and a few gear pieces. i was doing RAF for them and they still were reasonably geared the entire time (bought them gear when they were like 7 levels higher than the item they were wearing, but very rarely had to do this, if they weren't RAF'd and leveling so fast i doubt i would have needed to at all)

The Lamonster said:

Heh, I'm with you. Luckily my gf gave me a free pass the last week since she knows how excited I was about Cata. Now I'll be back to sneaking in a couple hours on days I can... Which is primarily why I've decided to level up an alt instead of doing heroics. I'll never keep up with the gear curve, so I might as well just have a bunch of 85s.

The only incentive to playing with my Paladin is to get heirlooms, but since the three characters I want to level are mail, leather, and cloth, I don't really know which to invest in!

Effect

True quest rewards have really improved. I haven't had to worry about anything for my Worgen Druid and Gnome Mage. I was leveling my Pally before WoTLK came out and I recall a very different experience. So while it's not much of an issue now I like to think that Blizzard at least knew what a problem it was and the increased quest rewards from level 1 on up is there way of addressing the issue.

Flib

In Wrath, I think he raided on his warrior at first and then switched to his rogue as his main. I only remember that because he was on the same server as me, horde-side (I was an alliance hunter at the time).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I enjoyed playing Prot warrior in WotLK beta because I could stunlock like a rogue.

I want to level a warrior to 80 one of these days.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan said:
Just changed something... can anyone guess what :D?

Wc0bF.jpg

Halycon said:
I enjoyed playing Prot warrior in WotLK beta because I could stunlock like a rogue.

I want to level a warrior to 80 one of these days.
I miss those days of stunlock prot. =(

WotLK launch was my favorite time as a warrior, hence why he was my first 80.

I don't think I've really even played any spec but prot beyond some tinkering with arms and fury which led to utter (udder if he was a tauren anymore) confusion. Where's my shield? Why am I losing health? How come that mob died already?

Macattk15

SnakeswithLasers said:
I just don't know what to believe anymore! :lol :lol

Congratulatons? My main is a rogue. Look at the spreadsheet with all the characters listed on it. I do have a warrior, I do have a mage, I do have a hunter, I do have a shaman.

Now you don't have to waste your time in the future looking things up.

And back to my original statement, Warriors still could use a CC ... and I guess DK's could as well .... shit even I can Sap things on my rogue ...

Yoshichan said:
Just changed something... can anyone guess what :D?

Wc0bF.jpg

You're a female troll ... ? Not hard to guess ... I guess.

Ferrio

Banned
Victory rush as a tank is pretty damn awesome. I was fighting a boss for quite awhile after everyone had died. Just kept healing myself and popping CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom