• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loving Cataclysm so far. I wasn't excited at all for it, got in the beta but couldnt bring myself to play it.

Just beat all the Uldum quests with Harrison Jones and all and it utterly fantastic, just started Twilight Highlands at 84 and I'm loving it.

Love my boomkin and what Blizz did so far. Haven't gotten used to the new bear, it seems too complicated but I probably just need to get used to it. Probably just need to read up and macro maul to something as it seems a bit much but I've spent more time as balance so far.

Paladin seems fun as well, Retribution is weird, either your procs go off and stuff dies in seconds or it takes forever to kill anything. Prot doesn't seem all that different.

Loving my enhance shaman as well.

My guild is complaining about heroics, seems PUGing them is pretty much a disaster, although they've done well with guild groups. I can't wait to try as I am excited for some challenging 5mans for once but we all think they're going to nerf them to EZ-mode.

Is this true ? Or is this just the case of people not used to them yet ?

They tried 10-man Blackwing Descent and got their ass kicked as well I think :lol I imagine the raids are pretty challenging at this point too.

webrunner

I don't understand the heroic difficulty hate.

Why are people complaining that the explicitly set hard difficulty level is hard?

If heroics are too hard then you can run the dungeon as a non-heroic.

webrunner said:
I don't understand the heroic difficulty hate.

Why are people complaining that the explicitly set hard difficulty level is hard?

If heroics are too hard then you can run the dungeon as a non-heroic.

Well most of the complaints I hear is DPS queuing for 40+ minutes, the group wipes on the first pull and disbands. That does suck.

I think people are just used to how Wrath heroics were later on where all but the most retarded group could blow through them in 15 mins with no chance of dying.

I intend to do them with the guild, we got quite a few 85s, just gotta hit 84 first.

Macattk15

Trying to get a heroic 2H'er is torture. Trying to get 2 for Titan's Grip is just downright upsetting.

Bisnic said:
I really wonder how good mastery is for prot warriors.

I mean, should i really reforge dodge or parry for more mastery? Is it really worth it?

Also, im going to guess tank stats are still more important than hit or expertise right? Because i only have something like 4-5% hit chance and 15 expertise. But i do not dare to reforge dodge, parry or mastery for them. Survival is more important than a 1 or 2% chance to miss/dodge/parry my targets in these harder 5 mans.

Critical blocking is pretty awesome!

forgrim

Macattk15 said:
Trying to get a heroic 2H'er is torture. Trying to get 2 for Titan's Grip is just downright upsetting.

Hilariously enough, trying to get a heroic tanking 1H'er for me is almost akin to suicide considering it can drop from numerous heroics, and i have yet to see one. I am rocking a thief's blade tho, to the chagrin of rogues all around (i did not steal it, there was no one else who could use it).

I however do see a schmuck ton of 2H'ers falling all over the place tho.

Flib

KernelPanic said:
I am loving Cataclysm so far. I wasn't excited at all for it, got in the beta but couldnt bring myself to play it.

Just beat all the Uldum quests with Harrison Jones and all and it utterly fantastic, just started Twilight Highlands at 84 and I'm loving it.

Love my boomkin and what Blizz did so far. Haven't gotten used to the new bear, it seems too complicated but I probably just need to get used to it. Probably just need to read up and macro maul to something as it seems a bit much but I've spent more time as balance so far.

Paladin seems fun as well, Retribution is weird, either your procs go off and stuff dies in seconds or it takes forever to kill anything. Prot doesn't seem all that different.

Loving my enhance shaman as well.

My guild is complaining about heroics, seems PUGing them is pretty much a disaster, although they've done well with guild groups. I can't wait to try as I am excited for some challenging 5mans for once but we all think they're going to nerf them to EZ-mode.

Is this true ? Or is this just the case of people not used to them yet ?

They tried 10-man Blackwing Descent and got their ass kicked as well I think :lol I imagine the raids are pretty challenging at this point too.

Yeah, I went boomkin off-spec, it's really fun. As for bear, the rotation is not that hard, but it's a bit more complicated than it used to be. Thrash is your friend. DO NOT macro maul, it takes a ton of rage you won't always have, and Mangle is a much better ability anyway. Our threat is really good overall, the biggest issue is just making sure the dps are attacking your target.

The heroics aren't THAT hard, they are just difficult for pugs, especially if your tank or heals suck. You will wipe in some of them, and with some pugs 1 wipe means everyone leaves. According to blue posts, they are happy with the difficulty and will not be nerfing them, aside from tweaking any specific fights which seem out of line.

Haven't done Blackwing Descent, but Halfus Wyrmbreaker in Bastion of Twilight pretty much murdered us last night, although we seem to have one of the worst drake combos. The other tank in the raid is also undergeared, which is a huge problem on that fight, as a lot of it depends on your tanks surviving the initial pull.

Flib said:
Yeah, I went boomkin off-spec, it's really fun. As for bear, the rotation is not that hard, but it's a bit more complicated than it used to be. Thrash is your friend. DO NOT macro maul, it takes a ton of rage you won't always have, and Mangle is a much better ability anyway. Our threat is really good overall, the biggest issue is just making sure the dps are attacking your target.

Yeah my MS is boomkin, was getting a little bored with it near the end of WoTLK but they've really refreshed the spec and fixed some problems.

I figured mangle +maul + lacerate + pulverize for single target and thrash + swipe for AoE tanking. I guess I'll hotkey it, I haven't found a comfortable setup yet. Haven't found much post-Cata bear tank discussion, EJ seems dead.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Macattk15 said:

Critical blocking is pretty awesome!

I know critical blocking is good, but on blue items where only dodge & parry can be reforged... should i change it for mastery? Is critical blocking more useful than dodge & parry? And if yes, i suppose dodge should be the one reforged, since parry help with one of the prot talent.

zlatko

Banned
So I just hit level 69 tonight with my warrior. Really pumped I can dual wield 2 handers, but now I have to rework all my abilities in my tool bar since I've been playing Arms warrior most of the game.

My 1 sort of complaint right now is I wanted to finish up all the BC dungeons before moving on to Northrend at 70, but the queue wait is daunting. Even when I do get in it seems I either get a half way done dungeon or a disband occurs due to someone randomly leaving. The general influx of douchebags has also risen to guys getting mad at each other about the other sucking.(Mostly the tank vs the healer bouts here)

zlatko said:
My 1 sort of complaint right now is I wanted to finish up all the BC dungeons before moving on to Northrend at 70, but the queue wait is daunting.

I always tried to do some of the 70 BC dungeons but 68+ everyone moves on to Northrend and it's almost impossible to get a grp together.

Bisnic

KernelPanic said:
I always tried to do some of the 70 BC dungeons but 68+ everyone moves on to Northrend and it's almost impossible to get a grp together.

And good luck getting a group for the Cavern of Times instances. NO ONE want to do that boring quest "lets walk for 10 mins while i explain every instances lore around that big ass room" just so you can queue for it.

Also, the Netherstorm instances. Good luck with those too. They're so late in BC content, no one want to do them.

joelseph

Flib said:
Our biggest issue is that our healer was telling me to tank him against the right wall, and I couldn't see shit or grab the officers. Once I decided to just tank him in the middle of the room, we one shot it. Not worried about the next time we do it.

Do you burn the adds when they spawn?

Flib

joelseph said:
Do you burn the adds when they spawn?

Yeah, officers then guardsmen. We tried to just zerg it, but the adds cast dark empowerment on Springvale and heal him. They go down pretty quick. Have everyone up on the platform with the tank facing them in the middle, so he is the only one who gets hit by breath. Tank stays stationary and gets healed through the breath and floor defile thing, and picks up the adds when they come through. When you get to about 20% just blow cooldowns and ignore the adds.

moojito

Dragging him out of his room into the corridor you came from makes things pretty easy, as well, I find. Plenty of room to move and see adds coming.

joelseph

Flib said:
Yeah, officers then guardsmen. We tried to just zerg it, but the adds cast dark empowerment on Springvale and heal him. They go down pretty quick. Have everyone up on the platform with the tank facing them in the middle, so he is the only one who gets hit by breath. Tank stays stationary and gets healed through the breath and floor defile thing, and picks up the adds when they come through. When you get to about 20% just blow cooldowns and ignore the adds.

What healer you running with? We are so close to killing this fucker but I am running OOM as a disc priest. =/

Flib

joelseph said:
What healer you running with? We are so close to killing this fucker but I am running OOM as a disc priest. =/

It would be pretty tough with a disc priest, but no matter the healer, mana is going to be tight. We had our shammy healer running with us when we downed it. It's basically a race to kill him before the healer runs out of mana, the dps has to be really on the ball.

We did have a sub-1% wipe, which was so infuriating that we decided to stick it out until we killed him.

pix

If you guys cant do the Springvale fight here is a easy solution. You need 2 CC to do this. Healer + CC + Tank stay in the room with Springvale, DPS go to the courtyard ramp that leads into the keep. Have the adds CC'd, tank picks up hate and everyone runs back through the hallways, to the DPS. Burn him down, and you won't ever have to deal with the adds at all. Easy mode. :)

Note: DO NOT tank him to far down the ramp as if the adds wake up in time, they will path through the keep instead of where you cleared through, aggroing half the instance.

Ferrio

Banned
Bisnic said:
I really wonder how good mastery is for prot warriors.

I mean, should i really reforge dodge or parry for more mastery? Is it really worth it?

Also, im going to guess tank stats are still more important than hit or expertise right? Because i only have something like 4-5% hit chance and 15 expertise. But i do not dare to reforge dodge, parry or mastery for them. Survival is more important than a 1 or 2% chance to miss/dodge/parry my targets in these harder 5 mans.

I redid all my dodge to mastery. I don't have numbers but I'm sure mastery is by far the better stat, especially with the new meta gem. Mitigation always better than avoidance (less spikey), also think mastery gets more bang for your buck (more % per point). With Shield Block + Hold the line + High mastery you'll be blocking quite a lot.

To me

Mastery >> Parry > Dodge.

Parry better than dodge because it procs hold the line. Hit and expertise should not be ignored either, but you should only start worrying about it now if you're having trouble with aggro, or you've hit the soft caps.

My tank currently. Spec 1 is for boss, or singular fights. Spec 2 is more for trash, multiple mobs.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/bellare/simple

Macattk15

Flib said:
Do they just not spawn?

If they do, it is nowhere near him.

All we fought each time I've done it when the DK tank carted his ass down to the courtyard while we waited were 2 adds through the entire fight ... which are the 2 adds with him to begin with.

How is honor accumulation in PVP? There are a bunch of heirlooms I want to buy and the JP just are not flowing in like I'd like, so I'm thinking about trying out PVP.

I'm a prot pally right now, but I might heal in PVP...

Macattk15

SnakeswithLasers said:
How is honor accumulation in PVP? There are a bunch of heirlooms I want to buy and the JP just are not flowing in like I'd like, so I'm thinking about trying out PVP.

I'm a prot pally right now, but I might heal in PVP...

Seems very slow. Especially if you don't win. Grinding PvP gear sucks as much as grinding PvE gear, unless of course you're with guildies and rolling people ... then it is very fun.

Macattk15 said:
Seems very slow. Especially if you don't win. Grinding PvP gear sucks as much as grinding PvE gear, unless of course you're with guildies and rolling people ... then it is very fun.
Seems like I have no good options.

I played a few dungeons this weekend and kept getting Grim Batol (non heroic) and was trying to do it with DPS not breaking 4-5k in multiple groups.

I have *no clue* how that is possible. I'm doing 6.5 as a tank. 5k as DPS seems like total bs.

Bisnic

Ferrio said:
I redid all my dodge to mastery. I don't have numbers but I'm sure mastery is by far the better stat, especially with the new meta gem. Mitigation always better than avoidance (less spikey), also think mastery gets more bang for your buck (more % per point). With Shield Block + Hold the line + High mastery you'll be blocking quite a lot.

To me

Mastery >> Parry > Dodge.

Parry better than dodge because it procs hold the line. Hit and expertise should not be ignored either, but you should only start worrying about it now if you're having trouble with aggro, or you've hit the soft caps.

My tank currently. Spec 1 is for boss, or singular fights. Spec 2 is more for trash, multiple mobs.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/bellare/simple

Alright thanks, guess i will reforge my dodge to mastery.

But what about Stamina? Do people still fill all their sockets, no matter the color, with Stamina only gems?

Flib

Bisnic said:

But what about Stamina? Do people still fill all their sockets, no matter the color, with Stamina only gems?

You still want to gem some stam, especially in blue sockets, just not in every case.

DeathNote said:
Ugh, it's been a few days since my authenticator shipped and I never got a tracking number.

I'm in Canada but I never got a tracking #, only an order #.

First time I ordered one I never got it, it got back to Blizzard and they refunded me saying I never picked it up.

Second time I got it 3 days after I ordered it.

Ferrio

Banned
Bisnic said:

I don't think that'll be the case in cata anymore. Stamina seems a lot less important (I only have 30k more health that rogues). I mean I'm at 133k, even if I gemmed up like crazy I could only get maybe.... 10k max... which is a lot less of a difference than it was in wrath. I think mastery will by far be the best stat for prots until it hits a cap (but I think there's only a soft cap, after that it still increases crit block).

I say gem appropriate for the slot to get your bonuses/meta.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The res cap is removed in cataclysm? What's the max damage reduction of each set?

KernelPanic said:
I'm in Canada but I never got a tracking #, only an order #.

First time I ordered one I never got it, it got back to Blizzard and they refunded me saying I never picked it up.

Second time I got it 3 days after I ordered it.
I emailed them. I searched battle.net and a FAQ page clearly says it'd come with an email when shipped. US.

Weenerz

Banned
DeathNote said:
Ugh, it's been a few days since my authenticator shipped and I never got a tracking number.

It's sent via USPS, if you happen to get a tracking number, it won't work. It takes about 7 business days either way.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Weenerz said:
It's sent via USPS, if you happen to get a tracking number, it won't work. It takes about 7 business days either way.
If they gave me a USPS tracking number, it would work fine. I use them all the time for USPS orders.

I just read the sales page says they are shipped by USPS ground without a tracking number to save customers money, but I was able to choose Next Day Air for free at checkout instead of ground my e-mail Receipt says It's UPS.
"Shipping Method: UPS NEXT DAY AIR STANDARD "
It also said it'd take 2 days.

My AtlasLoot isn't working. Every time I click it the icon just does something weird and it doesn't open. I've tried enabling and disabling, re-installing twice, lots of stuff. Won't work. It's bugging me. Any suggestions?

pix

Flib said:
While raiding last night, I had 154k health. Fucking ridiculous.

Not being arrogant, that just doesnt seem like alot for a raid. My tank I static with in 5 mans has 170k, he was a warrior. Not sure if that is the reason.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
My AtlasLoot isn't working. Every time I click it the icon just does something weird and it doesn't open. I've tried enabling and disabling, re-installing twice, lots of stuff. Won't work. It's bugging me. Any suggestions?
Someone said that in trade and a person replied saying it worked fine for them. I can't try it out myself right now.

J-Rzez

Got those stupid Golems down last night, then went onto the worm. Cool fight mechanics, but once everyone gets it down it'll be a new loot-ship type fight. We almost had it but once again a member had to go early. Tuesday it'll be ours.

First two fights have been fun to say the least so far.

My atlas loot is working just fine. No idea what's up with everyone else's.

Bisnic

Another tanking question.

Should i tank as much as i can in the new 5 mans? Or is there good enough tank rewards from questing?

Because if i end up lvl 85 still with some 251-264 epics and Cata greens, will i regret it to not have many blue items from instances?

J-Rzez

Bisnic said:
Another tanking question.

Should i tank as much as i can in the new 5 mans? Or is there good enough tank rewards from questing?

Because if i end up lvl 85 still with some 251-264 epics and Cata greens, will i regret it to not have many blue items from instances?

For raiding, our tanks had two pieces of 264 gear lol. We managed, but upgrades will go a long way with the stam pool. That's all there is tanking plate quest rewards at least. Sucked to be plate DPS really. I think DPS got the short end of the stick, especially when some of the rewards had to be healer gear as well...

pix

J-Rzez said:
For raiding, our tanks had two pieces of 264 gear lol. We managed, but upgrades will go a long way with the stam pool. That's all there is tanking plate quest rewards at least. Sucked to be plate DPS really. I think DPS got the short end of the stick, especially when some of the rewards had to be healer gear as well...

Yep iirc not a single blue plate DPS helm ilvl 325+ outside heroics .

Trasher

NameGenerated said:
There's a kill some vultures and a kill some hyenas quest that you get buy killing each creature once.
Oh ok. Cool. I already have the hyena one, so I guess it's time to find some vultures.

So I'm half debating on finishing the quests in every zone for the rep. Is it worth it though... Grinding dungeons is probably faster I would think.

KJTB

Is it me, or is the BG grind tediously slow right now?

They need to buff honor gains or something... because it's taking hours and hours of farming bg's (which isn't fun when you've been playing the same goddamn BG's for years) to get 1 piece of blue pvp gear that costs 2200 honor...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dipindots said:

They need to buff honor gains or something... because it's taking hours and hours of farming bg's (which isn't fun when you've been playing the same goddamn BG's for years) to get 1 piece of blue pvp gear that costs 2200 honor...
Been reading forums. One person said they get 1k in 2 hours, another said 500-600, another 150.

Defenders will get the shit end of the stick in successful or failed groups. :/

Flib

pix said:
Not being arrogant, that just doesnt seem like alot for a raid. My tank I static with in 5 mans has 170k, he was a warrior. Not sure if that is the reason.

I think warriors have slightly higher pools, but I'm also not stam stacking. I was apparently very easy to heal, and our warrior who had more health than I did was getting absolutely murdered. Bears have the most avoidance.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dipindots said:

Seems okay with me. Just doing the Random BGs nets a decent amount of honor. Also, if your side reliably wins the PVP zones thats another huge boost (Tol Barad is 120 honor and 3 commendations for winning.. Wintergrasp is something like 24 honor). Add in the dailies/weeklies that reward honor (Tol Barad, Wintergrasp, Grizzly Hills quests) and thats another boost.

Einbroch

Banned
Honor gains are so incredibly slow right now it's ridiculous. You can do heroics and finish one in two hours easy and get 250+ JP, reputation, and items from bosses. If you're in a rut with pvp you can walk out with less than a hundred honor and no gear to show for it.

There's something wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom