• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Angry Grimace said:
It's just that every dungeon at every level seems to now be filled with ragebots only seconds from seething semi-homicidal rage at the slightest provocation.

Some people just simply don't give a fuck and use the fact the game is harder now to be impatient dicks (i.e. to my wife, who didn't even do anything wrong, she just doesn't have every dungeon layout burned in the back of her skull). I don't know, I just wish some of these people would remember World of Warcraft isn't a profession for some of us.

Yep. :( Expected to know everything when you come into the group, even if it's your first time.

Forget playing the game to have fun. That's no longer the point for a lot of these people. They're taking it very, very seriously. I'm taking a break. :lol

TimeKillr said:
Okay, so...

Fuck Stonecore.

I'm a Druid healer. I know how to play. I never go OOM. Hell, I healed heroic Ozruk, which is apparently one of the most difficult heroic fights in the game, with no real trouble. Not to mention one melee DPS died on the first ground slam, and one of the magic DPS died at about 20%.. And we still managed to beat him down.

The last fight in Stonecore is badly designed when you have a Druid healer. You know what happens the second all the adds pop up?

OOOH, SOMEONE IS CASTING HOTS! QUICK QUICK QUICK KILL IT.

So what happens is if the group doesn't immediately stop dpsing the boss and just doesn't focus on AOEing the adds, I die in 2 seconds. Even if I position myself perfectly between the mobs and the wells. Why? Those wells do not kill the mobs as they are supposed to. At least, not quickly enough.

So not only is it a pain on regular as a Druid, it's near impossible on Heroic. There seems to be about 3x as many cultists that spawn, double the gravity wells (that STILL don't kill those adds). If we're unlucky ONCE, I die.

The last attempt we did? I followed the tank around - he can keep those adds off me. Well, sure, if I don't get punted into a group of spawning adds by something (I still don't know exactly what punted me, mind you. I think it might've been that huge rock she carries around that you can't keep track of because, you know, there's already a million adds and 6 zones you can't walk into).

Fuck it. Seriously. I love a challenge. But a luck-based fight? Or one I just can't heal because of my class mechanics? No.

Not to hate but that is how it is for all healers.. of course you will get aggro from healing from adds..

We create a wall of the wells and the healer is positioned in an area where he can kind of create a path for them to walk in. I think the wells have caps of how many they can take out.. I think boulders also help kill. Either way.. it is one of the easiest bosses in Stonecore I think.

The hardest is that first boss if you have shitty ranged dps.. 2nd boss is hella simple too.. 3rd boss is also hella simple as long as you have the mechanic down.

Stonecore is honestly one of the easier ones in the game. Lost City is also hella easy.

Rokam

Lost City is made easy with a healer with a disease cleanse, having to do that shit as ret irritates me, because it sucks up my mana.

I thought I hated the Vashj'ir Dig Sites, but nothing compares to the Grim Batol dig site, post-questing in Twilight Highlands. So many mobs :(.

Kweh

Wtf, I just turned my own nameplate on and it says your guild rank before you guild name now. That's horrible. Is it just me that can see it?

Rapstah

Kweh said:
Wtf, I just turned my own nameplate on and it says your guild rank before you guild name now. That's horrible. Is it just me that can see it?
That has to only be for people in a guild because I'm not in one and I've never seen those ranks over anyone's head.

Raide

People moaned about the Heroics in Wrath and Blizzard nerfed them to the point of being useless. People cried about Naxx and ICC, Blizzard nerfed them so everyone could slap around the bosses that made them cry.

People still cry when Blizzard make hard Heroics that require some amount of co-ordination. "Holy crap, I have CC skills?" "You mean I cannot just spam 1 healing spell now?" Pfft...Blizzard will nerf the Cata Heroics so people can go back to facerolling.

Another day, another new heroic. This time, a heroic which I never did in normal mode. Throne of Tides.

Ridiculously easy. Easiest heroic I've done. 1 shotted every boss, except last because half the party didn't notice the giant octopus in phase 3.

Personally I've been finding heroics very rewarding and fun. As a protection warrior, I actually have stuff to do other than sitting there getting hit for a lot of encounters.

I don't ever want to see a return to faceroll heroics.

Rokam

MrPing1000 said:
Another day, another new heroic. This time, a heroic which I never did in normal mode. Throne of Tides.

Ridiculously easy. Easiest heroic I've done. 1 shotted every boss, except last because half the party didn't notice the giant octopus in phase 3.

Personally I've been finding heroics very rewarding and fun. As a protection warrior, I actually have stuff to do other than sitting there getting hit for a lot of encounters.

I don't ever want to see a return to faceroll heroics.

Throne is definetly the easiest Heroic there is, the hardest part is those damn goblins. :lol

TimeKillr said:
Okay, so...

Fuck Stonecore.

I'm a Druid healer. I know how to play. I never go OOM. Hell, I healed heroic Ozruk, which is apparently one of the most difficult heroic fights in the game, with no real trouble. Not to mention one melee DPS died on the first ground slam, and one of the magic DPS died at about 20%.. And we still managed to beat him down.

The last fight in Stonecore is badly designed when you have a Druid healer. You know what happens the second all the adds pop up?

OOOH, SOMEONE IS CASTING HOTS! QUICK QUICK QUICK KILL IT.

So what happens is if the group doesn't immediately stop dpsing the boss and just doesn't focus on AOEing the adds, I die in 2 seconds. Even if I position myself perfectly between the mobs and the wells. Why? Those wells do not kill the mobs as they are supposed to. At least, not quickly enough.

So not only is it a pain on regular as a Druid, it's near impossible on Heroic. There seems to be about 3x as many cultists that spawn, double the gravity wells (that STILL don't kill those adds). If we're unlucky ONCE, I die.

The last attempt we did? I followed the tank around - he can keep those adds off me. Well, sure, if I don't get punted into a group of spawning adds by something (I still don't know exactly what punted me, mind you. I think it might've been that huge rock she carries around that you can't keep track of because, you know, there's already a million adds and 6 zones you can't walk into).

Fuck it. Seriously. I love a challenge. But a luck-based fight? Or one I just can't heal because of my class mechanics? No.

I love that fight as a healer because I TRY to get heal aggro and then run around dragging the adds into the wells, fun as hell.

Angry Grimace said:
It's just that every dungeon at every level seems to now be filled with ragebots only seconds from seething semi-homicidal rage at the slightest provocation.

Some people just simply don't give a fuck and use the fact the game is harder now to be impatient dicks (i.e. to my wife, who didn't even do anything wrong, she just doesn't have every dungeon layout burned in the back of her skull). I don't know, I just wish some of these people would remember World of Warcraft isn't a profession for some of us.

Yeah I play WoW with my wife (one of the few games we can play together and we get that a lot. We've stopped playing quite a few times because some shmuck in a random said something totally uncalled for to her.

I've only done 1 Cata instance (normal Throne of Tides) and we wiped on that charmed shaman boss when the tank started the fight before we ready, the healer was still drinking past the gate and got locked out. Second time the tank aggro'd the boss again while we were drinking after rezzes(even managed to port himself out not to die). Both times some idiot immediately blamed the healer. Although she got sympathetic tells from the rest that the tank is an idiot. We managed to beat it but it just ruined the whole fun of my 1st instance.

I think they'll nerf heroics like they always do, and call it accessibility. Ideally normal mode should be for people who want EZ-mode and heroics for people who want to earn something better (same with raids).

Blizzard has conditioned the userbase fairly well to expect EZ purples, I applaud them for trying to bring some challenge into it but it's too late I think.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:

I was in a heroic Grim Batol pug last night, people must have been stoned on the drakes because most of the mobs were at 90% health. Tank kept pulling without applying CC. I kept the group up without a single wipe on the trash.

On the last pull before the first boss there are quite a few adds so the group was discussing who should CC when the tank just pulls. I was instantly stunned (whatever mob encases you in a orange orb) that my EMFH buff wouldnt break and I died.

Tank called me a noob and that I should go back to WOTLK..found it kind of funny like he actually believes he was able to just plow through the previous mobs on his own

I /licked him and asked if he wanted me to change his diaper which caused him to rage quit and we had a replacement in under a minute

Mareg

Angry Grimace said:

This might be in part caused by the long queue wait. DPS are regularly looking up to 45+ min of wait time to get a group. If said group isn't good, it can get frustrating for some I guess. Me, I'm playing a tank so I don't feel like I have waisted 45min of my time if the group somehow isn't working.

SUPARSTARX

Angry Grimace said:

lol sorry you feel that way.

I play a priest healer main. You won't believe how many much aggravation built up for me when I tried to guide pugs and they keep messing up like 8-10x on the same stuff. I come out with like a 60-100g deficit doing dungeon finder groups after completing them.

I mean it's okay some players are a little slower at picking up on things than others, I'm just rambling now. Sorry. :(

And to my luck, I keep getting heroic Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep for my dailies. So. Annoyed. Because especially Deadmine is long winded it almost feels like a mini-raid.

Dunlop

The Lamonster said:
what was the point of /licking him? just to be a creep?

yes.

I was pretty sure he would rage quit and I could have the smug satisfaction of him waiting on a dungeon cooldown :D

So many tanks are so so used to being primadonas from WOTLK (I felt the lure on my prot pally...) that they need to realize that everyone is needed for these encounters, get used to wiping periodically and not throwing out blame like an asshole when it does.

TimeKillr

Evil Benius said:
I love that fight as a healer because I TRY to get heal aggro and then run around dragging the adds into the wells, fun as hell.

Really? I guess it's fun if you do that.. I need better DPSers then :)

And yeah, from what you guys were saying, it was mostly because I had shit DPSers that it always went badly. I'll keep doing more heroics tonight, see how it goes when I get other instances.

SUPARSTARX

Baradin Hold boss is puggable in blues, but it's not a weekly raid thingie like WOTLK. Provided that all the DPS participants can push 8-10k DPS per person and move to avoid fires, easy Gladiator/Tier 11 loots.

Dunlop

SUPARSTARX said:
Baradin Hold boss is puggable in blues, but it's not a weekly raid thingie like WOTLK. Provided that all the DPS participants can push 8-10k DPS per person and move to avoid fires, easy Gladiator/Tier 11 loots.

Did this fight the other night with pugs without a problem, dropped shitty PVP gear ; (

SUPARSTARX said:
Well I asked because I want to know how to earn Justice and Valor points. Are there any quests associated with earning them or is it just the daily 5mans so far?

The Lamonster said:
Well I asked because I want to know how to earn Justice and Valor points. Are there any quests associated with earning them or is it just the daily 5mans so far?

Justice = Drops on first daily random normal mode clear and each heroic boss
Valor = Drops on first daily heroic mode clear and each Cataclysm raid boss

AFAIK there isn't a set of new raid weeklies.

SUPARSTARX

The Lamonster said:
I don't think they will open up the current raid progression into the weeklies type of stuff yet. Or they will just leave it out. It looks like they want to keep people playing and not get everything too fast off the bat.

Notice how heroic dungeons are like an hour now with an average group or so? And dreadfully painfully long with newbs?

So if you got a bunch of friends in a guild or w/e, you could probably tackle like the first bosses in the raids as they're fairly easy to learn and adapt to. Otherwise, your best bet for valor points is daily heroic dungeon and weekly Baradin hold boss.

You might see raid weekly quests when they open up Tier 12 progression. They'll likely lower the prices on those items too so it'll be easier to pick up those items.

SUPARSTARX said:
I don't think they will open up the current raid progression into the weeklies type of stuff yet. Or they will just leave it out. It looks like they want to keep people playing and not get everything too fast off the bat.

Notice how heroic dungeons are like an hour now with an average group or so? And dreadfully painfully long with newbs?

So if you got a bunch of friends in a guild or w/e, you could probably tackle like the first bosses in the raids as they're fairly easy to learn and adapt to. Otherwise, your best bet for valor points is daily heroic dungeon and weekly Baradin hold boss.

You might see raid weekly quests when they open up Tier 12 progression. They'll likely lower the prices on those items too so it'll be easier to pick up those items.

Lower the price? Nope. When tier 12 comes out, tier 11 will be bought with justice points.

SUPARSTARX

funkmastergeneral said:
Lower the price? Nope. When tier 12 comes out, tier 11 will be bought with justice points.
Yeah I guess that makes more sense.

Just wished the heroics were smoother now, I'm almost fully decked, but not best-in-slot items though.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, quick question. Do I get skill ups from placing enchants on vellum, or does it have to be on actual gear to get a skill up in enchanting?

Milpool

Mr Nash said:
So, quick question. Do I get skill ups from placing enchants on vellum, or does it have to be on actual gear to get a skill up in enchanting?

Vellum will still get you skill ups.

Magnus

I think after three years, I'm finally going to take a break from healing. Shit's just too stressful now. Sure, I have the means to rescue a borked pull (on trash no less), but it'll take my full mana bar down to nearly empty. I feel like they really overdid it a bit with the cost of spells this time around. There's a middle ground between where we are now and the ridiculous-ness of Wrath.

Right now I feel like I'm being punished. Drinking after every fucking pull is getting boring, and I constantly feel like I'm slowing down the group. Every healer is being painted out to be the whiner. I can't afford to stop rolling boring, slow medium heals on a tank to save ailing dps because if I do, the tank will die on any rough encounter. It's crazy hard. And usually can't afford to use the stronger heals to top people up to shift to others, because that'll drop my mana to the point where I'll run oom before the fight's end.

I've definitely had a bunch of great runs in heroics where everything went smoothly, but man, it gets close and mana is still running dry when everything is going RIGHT. When it goes wrong, it's nightmarish.

I flipped to shadow on my priest a lot more this week and had immeasurably more fun and am fucking good at it too. Fuck healing for now. Sorry =/

Meteorain

Magnus said:
I think after three years, I'm finally going to take a break from healing. Shit's just too stressful now. Sure, I have the means to rescue a borked pull (on trash no less), but it'll take my full mana bar down to nearly empty. I feel like they really overdid it a bit with the cost of spells this time around. There's a middle ground between where we are now and the ridiculous-ness of Wrath.

Right now I feel like I'm being punished. Drinking after every fucking pull is getting boring, and I constantly feel like I'm slowing down the group. Every healer is being painted out to be the whiner. I can't afford to stop rolling boring, slow medium heals on a tank to save ailing dps because if I do, the tank will die on any rough encounter. It's crazy hard. And usually can't afford to use the stronger heals to top people up to shift to others, because that'll drop my mana to the point where I'll run oom before the fight's end.

I've definitely had a bunch of great runs in heroics where everything went smoothly, but man, it gets close and mana is still running dry when everything is going RIGHT. When it goes wrong, it's nightmarish.

I flipped to shadow on my priest a lot more this week and had immeasurably more fun and am fucking good at it too. Fuck healing for now. Sorry =/

You will also find that a lot of this is due to Tanks and DPS doing nothing to mitigate any damage. It's like they have no concept of other skills in their repertoire. This is also combined with the basic "don't stand in the fire" concept that many of them don't seem to get.

They just expect you to heal them.

As a DK, I make sure I use my Anti-Magic Shield and Icebound Fortitude when required just to make it less stressful for the healer to heal during big AOE dmg and what have you whilst I'm DPSing away. It's not hard really.

joelseph

Meteorain said:
As a DK, I make sure I use my Anti-Magic Shield and Icebound Fortitude when required just to make it less stressful for the healer to heal during big AOE dmg and what have you whilst I'm DPSing away. It's not hard really.

I would freaking love you! Most tanks haven't caught onto the notion of using the CDs early!

Tacitus_

If you're spending your whole mana bar on good pulls that have CC and only tank getting hit, someone in the group is undergeared and/or playing badly.

Meteorain said:
You will also find that a lot of this is due to Tanks and DPS doing nothing to mitigate any damage. It's like they have no concept of other skills in their repertoire. This is also combined with the basic "don't stand in the fire" concept that many of them don't seem to get.

Part of the reason this doesn't happen is that some tanks and dps don't seem to know of an ability's existence if it doesn't make their numbers on recount/skada go up.

As a rogue I'll try to feint, cloak, whatever to give the healer a break when possible, but if it's not a damage-dealing attack people generally don't seem to want to use it.

Ferrio

Banned
letsbereasonable said:
As a rogue I'll try to feint, cloak, whatever to give the healer a break when possible, but if it's not a damage-dealing attack people generally don't seem to want to use it.

Haven't played my rogue in awhile, but in lich+ wasn't feint pretty useless now (for threat)? The threat reduction it does is static and miniscule to the overall amount of threat. Tricks of the Trade pretty much all you need, but hell most pug rogues don't even do that.

PatzCU

Magnus said:

Healing now requires a couple things.

1. Being efficient with your mana.
2. Being OK with not everyone topped off at all times.
3. DPS that aren't complete dunces and don't stand in the fire.
4. A tank that knows the fights and can make it easier for the DPS not to be complete dunces.

I am mostly a PVP healer so I am used to the stress of healing in difficult situations. I think the new heroic dungeons/raids are a huge step forward for WoW. There is actually a challenge now that requires teamwork and thinking to overcome. I love the delicious tears of the players that can't hack it. Either they need to learn to play as a team or I guess they can run regular dungeons until the next patch.

Ferrio said:
Tricks of the Trade pretty much all you need, but hell most pug rogues don't even do that.

This is sadly very true. That and every DPS goes lights out at the start of every fight. It takes a second to ramp up threat, assholes.

Ferrio said:
Haven't played my rogue in awhile, but in lich+ wasn't feint pretty useless now (for threat)? The threat reduction it does is static and miniscule to the overall amount of threat. Tricks of the Trade pretty much all you need, but hell most pug rogues don't even do that.

Nah, for the AOE damage reduction. It's useful in certain spots. ToTT is enough for threat.

Like you said, many (dumb) rogues won't use that now since it doesn't give energy back via the T10 bonus.

joelseph said:
I would freaking love you! Most tanks haven't caught onto the notion of using the CDs early!
I always pop Divine Protection on cooldown, I use Divine Guardian when I see 2 or more group members health drop. Pally tanks have so many mitigation tools that not using them is foolish and sadistic toward your healers.

Azwethinkweiz said:
This is sadly very true. That and every DPS goes lights out at the start of every fight. It takes a second to ramp up threat, assholes.

I was PUGing the other day and waited a few secs before a Feral Charged in as a cat to give the tank a breather and build threat and then started eating faces and two of the group wanted to kick me for not pulling my weight! LOL

Then I proceeded to top the DPS chart. Idiots.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
letsbereasonable said:
Part of the reason this doesn't happen is that some tanks and dps don't seem to know of an ability's existence if it doesn't make their numbers on recount/skada go up.
but to be fair, the first indicator of a "good player" in LK was gearscore. the second indicator of a "good player" was recount. if you're a mage and your numbers were 5K on trash, you get reamed out for low DPS. Nevermind that you had 5 secs of IB, some bandages, a couple of sheeps, or if you're not a fire mage (god I love being a fire mage) playing frogger and having very little mobility nowadays.

the entire pug mentality is broken from the ground up thanks to lich king. the last two years promoting DPS and tanking above all... making gearing so critical to end game success that as long as you were geared, there was very little difficulty and very little reason to do more than spam 2-3 buttons. I LOVE the new Cata dungeons and raids... so wonderfully designed for the most part and so fun and active. but yeah... it's going to take a whole new mindset, and one I think pugs are going to take a little longer to acclimate to.

it's a shame really. instead of just learning the new content, people are having to essentially relearn their classes, and because of that there's a lot of resistance. well, I say it's a shame because of pugging... unfortunately it just doesn't work to do guild runs EVERY available minute I have in game... so pugging is unavoidable, especially if you are busting your hump to get JPs (and chaos orbs in my chaos)

edit - and I didn't see that I didn't post in this thread yet... yes, I have become VERY healer friendly in heroics. IB during AOEs, my counterspell is almost always on CD, I always have bandages and pots with me, evocation during a fight thanks to 40% health recovery with glyph, and I'll ask if the tank is comfortable tagging CC targets for me or if he'd like me to tag my own. I also start off the first few pulls reminding the tank to pull packs away from CC'ed mobs so that my Living Bomb splash at the last tick doesn't break it. again, all stuff that affects my bottom line (DPS) but at the same time mitigates damage and let's the healer spend less time worrying about me and more time on the tank... even if it's just seconds, they can still turn out to be seconds that are the difference between success and a wipe.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I've really been enjoying the new thousand needles. Great mix of fun new quests and seeing easier versions of old ones that require you to go diving.

I also love that even in my mid 40's I can play for an hour or 2 and easily gain an entire level.

Rapstah

Yep, the average DPSer will never know the difference between incompetent healing and that they stood in the fire. I wiped thrice on Erunak in TOTT in a pug group earlier... the Warrior assigned to interrupting refused to not stand in the earth spike Erunak spawns. And then wiped and commented it with "lol" or something that made it sound like it was an unavoidable hilarious wipe that we should just shrug off. And then he didn't even interrupt when he was fucking alive, either.

I pulled him out of the earth spike with Leap of Faith and he fucking ran back to Erunak and stood in it again. Fuck off, pugs.

Ferrio

Banned
Is it just me, or did JC's get the shaft when it comes to making money/craftable items. Cut jewels really don't sell much more than their uncut versions and the neck/rings you can make are pretty damn pitiful. Also the unique gems seem to be pretty lackluster too.

Edit; On that note, mining too. Where's our daily cooldown smelt?

PatzCU

Rapstah said:
Yep, the average DPSer will never know the difference between incompetent healing and that they stood in the fire. I wiped thrice on Erunak in TOTT in a pug group earlier... the Warrior assigned to interrupting refused to not stand in the earth spike Erunak spawns. And then wiped and commented it with "lol" or something that made it sound like it was an unavoidable hilarious wipe that we should just shrug off. And then he didn't even interrupt when he was fucking alive, either.

I pulled him out of the earth spike with Leap of Faith and he fucking ran back to Erunak and stood in it again. Fuck off, pugs.

I refuse to heal DPS that stand in the fire UNLESS they are making an effort to get out of it. Otherwise, I let them die and tell the group I didn't heal the DPS because they stood in the fire.

posted in the other thread, too:

What's the best way to earn Guild rep? Will wearing the tabard do anything for me?

I want to be at least Honored in my guild when we reach level 10 so I can buy the BOA gear.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of standing of fire, the 2nd boss of ToTT.

The first time i did this, i had some undergeared tank(one with the BOA shoulders!), and we kept wiping on the 2nd boss, the faceless one. Since it was my first time, i thought it was about kiting the boss since he kept one shotting our tank 3 secs after the beginning, so i told the tank to do this, and we succeed.

Yesterday, i tanked him with my own tank, and someone told me i just have to move away when he cast fissure, no kiting necessary. I felt dumb.

Man, so simple. Yet that poor undergeared tank the other day had to kite the whole fight.

You really need to tank bosses at least once to understand the whole instances.

J-Rzez

Our healers are really loving the new heroics. I hope they don't nerf them into the ground. Once you start getting gear it becomes a slaughter house anyways with competent people at least. We blow through them now without a sweat. We're all around 335ilvl now, so that makes a difference, though many are cheap and didn't enchant their gear yet lol.

Finally got a 346 relic, I'm now Cataclysmically Superior. I was using a ilvl 308 or something up until that point because all the other sigils usually had shit stats on them (for me) like mastery, but got the one from H-ToT.

Hopefully people show up for our raid tonight. Can't wait to down the penis boss (that worm, i'm sorry but what happens in that fight is one long sexual innuendo, and I'm sure blizzard knows this). :lol

Rapstah

Oh, cool, in my rage about healing pug heroics I managed to bug my way out of Deepholm. Currently flying around outside the dome. It's really empty, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom