• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm still confused how people expect you to level as Affliction.

KJTB

J-Rzez said:
They were tough off the bat, but it's amazing how just even 333 and especially 346 gear trivializes nearly every heroic.

Yep, I'm rocking 348ilvl right now (though some of that is due to pvp blues) and it's crazy how much easier the heroics seem to be compared to how tough they were at first. Still wipe due to people who don't pay attention to fight mechanics and get themselves killed though :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Angry Grimace said:
I'm still confused how people expect you to level as Affliction.
huh? i've found that to be the easiest leveling spec for warlock. you can kill stuff non-stop, keep healing yourself with haunt and drain life, lifetap when low on mana. you're like an energizer bunny that just keeps going and going.

the key is to get haunt up asap, dot it up, then move onto the next mob before the first one dies. just keep haunting and dotting stuff up one at a time. by the time you get the the third mob the first one should have died or almost be dead and you just keep going, chaining the pulls together.

i use void walker to tank each mob at a time. he won't hold aggro forever, but by the time the mob breaks from him to chase after you they die before they can do any significant damage.

i can't imagine leveling a warlock with any other spec. i've heard demo is meant to be good, but i haven't tested it thoroughly, and destro is just a PvP/try-hard mage spec afaik.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Scrow said:
huh? i've found that to be the easiest leveling spec for warlock. you can kill stuff non-stop, keep healing yourself with haunt and drain life, lifetap when low on mana. you're like an energizer bunny that just keeps going and going.

the key is to get haunt up asap, dot it up, then move onto the next mob before the first one dies. just keep haunting and dotting stuff up one at a time. by the time you get the the third mob the first one should have died or almost be dead and you just keep going, chaining the pulls together.

i use void walker to tank each mob at a time. he won't hold aggro forever, but by the time the mob breaks from him to chase after you they die before they can do any significant damage.

i can't imagine leveling a warlock with any other spec. i've heard demo is meant to be good, but i haven't tested it thoroughly, and destro is just a PvP/try-hard mage spec afaik.
It's not really a leveling spec if it requires a level 69 talent.

Dresden

Affliction is no good for leveling with the kind of spell damage most low-levels will have. If you're loaded with heirlooms, maybe, but even then demo pre-Soul Fire will outperform it, and destro will kill things much faster after you get Soul Fire.

Rokam

yanhero said:
This is an MMO, its ok to be social.
I don't really see telling them the bosses abilities as being social. I see it as .. telling them the bosses abilities. :lol But clearly I'm just in the minority on this, so no biggie it happens! Happy Holidays!

Manus

Why would anyone level as anything else but Demonology now as a Warlock? I think Felguard at level 10 seals the deal.

mcrae

Angry Grimace said:

anything below 85 is a levelling spec, imo. time required for 69-85 cant be less than time required for 1-69.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Affliction leveling: Slow, dangerous, drain tanking not nearly as strong as it used to be, only efficient when mobs are close together.

Destruction: BOOM HEADSHOT. BOOM HEADSHOT. BOOM HEADSHOT.

Demo: Sort of in between.
anything below 85 is a levelling spec, imo. time required for 69-85 cant be less than time required for 1-69.
80-85 is, at the rate I level, 4-5 hours a level. Basically one day played.

1-69 is about 3 days played, 70-79 is about 1.5 days played.

Weenerz

Banned
Rokam said:
I don't really see telling them the bosses abilities as being social. I see it as .. telling them the bosses abilities. :lol But clearly I'm just in the minority on this, so no biggie it happens! Happy Holidays!

I'd rather spend 30 seconds telling them the boss abilties than wipe 3-4 times and the group disband.

Angry Grimace

mcrae said:
1-69 still takes a pretty damn long time, and in any case, it's still silly to call that a leveling spec when it really only works for stuff that's pretty close to endgame since at lvl. 69 virtually every spec of every class is viable to level with.

I've found Destro to be the easiest spec by quite a bit so far. I just now moved into outlands and am starting to see huge Conflag and Soul Fire crits. (still at that level where anything 4 digits is an exciting number :lol)

I also just now started to scrape off the bottom of the barrel in terms of dps vs. other classes in dungeons.

As for destro being "PvP" and Demo being good, that's not true at all; every site I've read is saying demo is back to being virtually non-viable and destro and afflic are fairly even although there isn't enough "real world" data to say though.

Vash'jir is a very pretty zone, still finding cool vistas or new models.

MattPeters said:
I dont see a problem here. You got it when it was current, why do you care that people got it last week?

Don't think about it.

No, literally don't think about it. It's best if everyone did that.

This is an MMO, its ok to be social.

They're not being social to him. The REAL social of MMOs, that is.

Ferrio

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
The 40 minute queues as my hunter are worth it compared to insta-queues on my tank. Topping the damage meters is a lot more fun than dealing with asshats.

Did you just call yourself an asshat?

Rokam

I said numerous times that I'm not going to let my group purposely wipe to prove a point! :lol. I just want them to know the fight, so we can socialize while killing it. :D

SnakeswithLasers said:
The 40 minute queues as my hunter are worth it compared to insta-queues on my tank. Topping the damage meters is a lot more fun than dealing with asshats.
So you can't tank very well or what? The times I have people bitching at each other is when the tank can't hold agro or the healer lets the tank die. DPS never get the blame because it can never be their fault in pugs.

Yay! I no longer have 1 piece of gear that is 333.

I need to replace just 2-3 pieces that are PvP gear technically but the rest is 346 or 359.

My average EQUIPPED ilvl according to armory is 348.

Rokam

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yay! I no longer have 1 piece of gear that is 333.

I need to replace just 2-3 pieces that are PvP gear technically but the rest is 346 or 359.

My average EQUIPPED ilvl according to armory is 348.

Congrats! I only need to get rid of 1 item, and then it's time for a new character! :D

cuevas said:
So you can't tank very well or what? The times I have people bitching at each other is when the tank can't hold agro or the healer lets the tank die. DPS never get the blame because it can never be their fault in pugs.
This is so wrong. This thread is always full of a bunch of malcontents. Enjoying something different because there's a lighter responsibility load? You must be a bad.

The aforementioned "it can't be DPS fault in a PUG" mentality which blames anything that gets broken or wiped on tank and heals--even when it is piss poor DPS not following marks, standing in void zones, not using interrupts, or just plain doing 3k DPS and not burning anything down fast enough before OOM is what makes tanking (and healing) a chore.

Or is the argument that since we're two weeks in to the expansion everyone in a PUG is 346 and skill is already out the window again and it's steamroll time? Because that's been far from my experience.

Dresden

Ferrio said:
I'm going to be stuck with a 308 item for the longest time, stupid range slot can't believe blizz screwed wars liket hat.
It's like 700 conquest points, yo. Win three matches, just grab a feral druid and play for like ten minutes.

Angry Grimace

You should really be able to trade your common arch. projects for virtually anything mildly useful, maybe some volatile elements or something. This is a serious slog.

Alex

The only heroic I don't like is Halls. It's not hard or anything, it just kind of drags on. None of the bosses beyond the first have very interesting mechanics, too.

I think Lost City has the best spread/pacing, and I think the best bosses are in Blackrock Caverns.

SnakeswithLasers said:
This is so wrong. This thread is always full of a bunch of malcontents. Enjoying something different because there's a lighter responsibility load? You must be a bad.

The aforementioned "it can't be DPS fault in a PUG" mentality which blames anything that gets broken or wiped on tank and heals--even when it is piss poor DPS not following marks, standing in void zones, not using interrupts, or just plain doing 3k DPS and not burning anything down fast enough before OOM is what makes tanking (and healing) a chore.

Or is the argument that since we're two weeks in to the expansion everyone in a PUG is 346 and skill is already out the window again and it's steamroll time? Because that's been far from my experience.

You get that fired up over a little sarcasm? :lol

Weenerz

Banned
Alex said:
The only heroic I don't like is Halls. It's not hard or anything, it just kind of drags on. None of the bosses beyond the first have very interesting mechanics, too.

I think Lost City has the best spread/pacing, and I think the best bosses are in Blackrock Caverns.

Great source of JP tho, HoO.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Angry Grimace said:
oh right, sorry. my experience of leveling a warlock 1-70 was back when siphon life was another dot in our arsenal. i only came back to my 71 warlock just before cata landed and i shuffled my spec around at level 71, so i had haunt to play with.

i got to 78 extremely quickly through WotLK content as affliction. can't remember what spec i leveled with 1-70 though... i think it was still affliction, but things were very different back then.

Sullen

You guys are high. Affliction leveling ='s dotting every mob in sight with corruption, sick pet on them, when they all start gathering to beat on you, fear bomb them with improved howl of terror, pause to cast a normal fear on one of the mobs that is irritating you, apply other dots as necessary on occasion, throw shadow bolts at random targets when nightfall procs, repeat. You never stop moving except to fear or sometimes throw an unstable affliction (Unnecessary really though) It was slightly easier when Dark Pact still existed in Affliction, but still easy without it. You can literally have a crowd of half a dozen or more mobs chasing you around while you dot and gain more, then grab another when one dies, etc. You are a never ending engine of destruction that stops only to loot bodies. An endless chain of mass death. :lol

I've leveled two warlocks to 80, and it is by faaaaar the most efficient method. The only thing it is weak at is soloing really strong elites, but that is what dual spec is for I suppose.

I haven't leveled a warlock since my main many, many years ago, but affliction is not what it used to be, at least in terms of the amount of health return you get from siphon life. Now siphon life is a proc chance that lets you receive up to 2% of your health back, which is a humongous nerf. But like I said, I haven't tried leveling a lock with the new changes. I would think that dotting up a bunch of mobs would be a very dangerous thing, but I can see how doing a mass fear bomb would help. Used to be that fear bombs weren't even necessary-- you could just dot as many mobs as possible and let them beat on you while dotting up more, lifetap, and then rinse and repeat.

I would recommend the felguard for leveling nowadays, though. He's just too powerful for his own good.

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
You get that fired up over a little sarcasm? :lol
I got the sarcasm! But I still understand his frustration.

I know I'm not the best tank, but I also know that well over half the wipes aren't my goddamn fault and I get blamed all the time when I do PUGs. It's fucking frustrating.

That's basically why I just don't bother doing PUGs and try to stick with guild runs as much as possible. \:

I was gone all last week visiting family, but I wanted to ask if pugging random heroics has gotten any better? As people slowly improve their gear, I would imagine things would get slightly easier than before.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Deputy Moonman said:
I was gone all last week visiting family, but I wanted to ask if pugging random heroics has gotten any better? As people slowly improve their gear, I would imagine things would get slightly easier than before.
More bads are hitting 85 now.

mcrae

TurtleSnatcher said:
My best groups are usually pugs. Last night I did SFK and got all the boss achievements with a pug. Very easy.

what other groups are there besides a Pick Up Group? just guild groups right? if pugs are better than your guild groups time for a new guild lol

Alex

I can't stand pugs, myself. Won't use LFD for anything other than a spare or two. 99% of the problems people have with heroics in Cataclysm are caused by leaning solely on LFD.

kai3345

Banned
Rolled a Goblin on Area 52 his name is either "Kaigaf" or "Gafkai", I can't remember :lol

I exited after I rolled my char because I don't have a great download speed at my current location so I didn't want to wait for that shit to install.

mcrae said:
what other groups are there besides a Pick Up Group? just guild groups right? if pugs are better than your guild groups time for a new guild lol
If I played the game just for the sake of having a good guild and not for playing with friends who aren't exceptional at the game but a pleasure to be around then I would hate the game.

Dresden

Sullen said:
You guys are high. Affliction leveling ='s dotting every mob in sight with corruption, sick pet on them, when they all start gathering to beat on you, fear bomb them with improved howl of terror, pause to cast a normal fear on one of the mobs that is irritating you, apply other dots as necessary on occasion, throw shadow bolts at random targets when nightfall procs, repeat. You never stop moving except to fear or sometimes throw an unstable affliction (Unnecessary really though) It was slightly easier when Dark Pact still existed in Affliction, but still easy without it. You can literally have a crowd of half a dozen or more mobs chasing you around while you dot and gain more, then grab another when one dies, etc. You are a never ending engine of destruction that stops only to loot bodies. An endless chain of mass death. :lol

I've leveled two warlocks to 80, and it is by faaaaar the most efficient method. The only thing it is weak at is soloing really strong elites, but that is what dual spec is for I suppose.
The game's changed.

Alex

TurtleSnatcher said:
If I played the game just for the sake of having a good guild and not for playing with friends who aren't exceptional at the game but a pleasure to be around then I would hate the game.

Good guild doesn't have to = t3h h4rdc0r3. I have a couple real life friends and other internet friends in mine. They just happen to be good players as well.

Folks weren't talkin' bout friends though, just random LFD puggers. As for them, no one is demanding pugs min/max or never make a mistake (well I'm sure SOME crazies do), but people just don't wanna group with people (who are often also douches) and also rock like 4k DPS, never mark things/break CC and are attracted to flames on the ground like moths. :lol

Angry Grimace

Good lord Blizzard put no effort at all into archeology. They literally made it suck on purpose.

They just half-assed it, and threw in some token epics that you never get to make insane people try it anyways.

I could think of 5 things off the top of my head that would have made this less of shitfest.

Narag

Isn't it a holdover from the Path of the Titans stuff?

I've wasted so much time on it and still haven't gotten the damn alchemy recipe. I'm more worried I'll collect the caster epics and feel the need to go boomkin just to use them.

Professions forum has been whining about archaeology for the past week and rightfully so. Blizzard evidently removed some EK dig sites for being so far out of the way but distribution of dig sites is crazy, there's a lot of junk even for vanity items, and there needs to be something so 525 archaeology is worthwhile rather than a punishment. Dailies with the explorers league/reliquary, allowing specialization in a civilization, etc. It's too barebones as is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sullen said:
I've leveled two warlocks to 80, and it is by faaaaar the most efficient method.
Since Cata launched? Impressive, I rolled a Goblin Lock for Cataclysm and I'm only 84 :p

Points is afflic is not what it used to be, as many others have said. Both destro and demo far outpace it, especially once destro gets soulfire.

Twig

Banned
Yeah I have no doubt Blizzard will change something about Archaeology in the future.

Who knows how long it will take, though.

Engineers are bitching, too, but I don't really know why, yet. Haven't taken the time to do much with it.

Narag

Twig said:
Yeah I have no doubt Blizzard will change something about Archaeology in the future.

Who knows how long it will take, though.

Engineers are bitching, too, but I don't really know why, yet. Haven't taken the time to do much with it.

From what I read, their tinkers have a higher failure rate so using something like rocket boots might just kill you instead.

Twig

Banned
Narag said:
From what I read, their tinkers have a higher failure rate so using something like rocket boots might just kill you instead.
I gathered a little of that, but didn't realize it was so bad.

I mean, I picked engineering because it's "fun" not because it's useful, but still, it would be annoying to have my parachute cloak turn into an anvil. (I haven't taken the time to make a new parachute cloak, yet! Maybe I should get around to that, at least.)

Sullen

Meteorain said:
No mate, Affli is just no longer a contender.

It's a toss up between Demo and Destro now.

I'm sorry, but it can still be done nearly exactly as I just described. I went and logged into my 81 warlock, swapped his destro spec to Affliction (it was his off spec anyway) and went into Hyjal to test. All you need is corruption, bane of agony, demon armor instead of fel armor, and a dps oriented pet. I used the succubus in my testing. The only real difference now is you actually have to stop and drain life a target after awhile (I mean after downing a group of like 8-12 mobs) which you never had to do before. Though I could see holding off on that for a while if you use a healthstone or death coil. If you wanted to make it even easier I'm sure you could throw a haunt.

edit: I should say I've never leveled as Destro, so I cant particularly comment on that. It has always been my raiding spec. I have leveled as Demonology in both BC and WoTLK/Cata period. I had hardly touched Affliction since Cata, but from what I just messed with today, it is obviously as powerful or more than it was in BC/WoTLK in terms of leveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom