• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Azwethinkweiz said:
I think it's 4/5(5-mans), 8/10(10-mans) and 20-25(25 mans) to get credit for a group dungeon.
you are correct. and 25/40 for 40-mans... which sucks because for our guild it's damn near impossible to get 20-25 together for the old guild raid achievements. well, not impossible but if we do get 20-25 together, they'd (obviously) rather do 2x10-man or 25-man.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
borghe said:
but what is 12-14K? certainly not sustained in heroics...

as fire, my sustained raid DPS is currently around 12-14K. Compared to in heroics where my SUSTAINED dps is around 9-10K. Now my bursty damage in heroics can push me up to around 14-15K, especially if I get a good string of crits. But being honest with myself, my real heroic dps is around that 9-10K. fwiw, I am all 346 with three 359, all blue gemmed and BIS enchants, except for the god damn 318 wand because out of my 6 deadmines runs, I've seen every piece of caster loot drop from vanessa and not a god damn wand from cookie.................

12-14k is mostly with bosses(although it depend a lot on which bosses im fighting, if its a gimmick one where i often have to stop casting, it wont be as good obviously), or that one big elite with lots of HP, sorry if i wasnt clear. The regular heroic trash usually give me around 10K. If i do less than 10K on the regular trash, either im lagging, late to the fight because i was busy drinking for mana or i missed a cast without realizing it and stood there like a retard for 2-3 secs. :lol

In the end, if i look at recount for overall DPS, it is between 10K and 11k, but thats with all the trashs and bosses mixed together.

Bisnic said:
12-14k is mostly with bosses(although it depend a lot on which bosses im fighting, if its a gimmick one where i often have to stop casting, it wont be as good obviously), or that one big elite with lots of HP, sorry if i wasnt clear. The regular heroic trash usually give me around 10K. If i do less than 10K on the regular trash, either im lagging, late to the fight because i was busy drinking for mana or i missed a cast without realizing it and stood there like a retard for 2-3 secs. :lol

In the end, if i look at recount for overall DPS, it is between 10K and 11k, but thats with all the trashs and bosses mixed together.
The chart numbers aren't for trash. Have recount only chart your boss fights, then look at the numbers averaged over several tries on the same boss.

Macattk15

Damnit so the new recipes are world drops?

I was gonna save tokens up and buy the STR and AGI / 3% crit damage metas and cut me up a ton of gems.

Poop.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So a couple days ago, I posted on my Facebook that I was excited to start hitting the 80+ Cata zones. I have a lot of real life friends that do or used to play WoW with me in college, so I figured they'd all pipe up with something to say.

What I didn't expect was my friend basically saying the following:

Must be really hard starting at level 53 in a zone run by an NPC that no longer exists to get up to those cata zones. Tell that to my level 75 Goblin Hunter... dickface... talk about being excited to level in Cata zones... I wanna slap you.

Whaa...?

I quit WoW back in Classic, JUST before Battlegrounds was released. Yes, I realize that was a LONG time ago. I had a 60 Paladin, who I raided with, and played quite a bit. Then I got burnt out, and quit. This Xmas, my friend got me BC, Wrath and Cata as gifts so he could get me back in.

I had two choices. Either I spend $20 to move my Paladin over to my friend's server, or start a new character. I wanted to check out the BC, Wrath and Cata zones asap, so I decided to make a DK. Apparently, my friend thought that was hugely lame, even though I played 1-60 with my Paladin, so I've already experienced that content (and merely don't wish to go back to lvl 1).

Then he posted this:

No one paid any dues for a DK, it's easy to unlock and even easier to level. Plus I'll have you know I started a level 1 goblin for new content and actually READ the quests to enjoy the whole story side of this game. Honestly I'm just anti-DK at this point. I felt like the class should have been removed at the end of WoTLK with a promise of a new hero class down the line. Nothing more annoying than finally leveling up to 60 on the Goblin only to get paired with a goblin dk tank in an instance.

o...kay? So it turns out my friend apparently hates DKs for...no reason I guess.

Is this common? I never see hate for DKs on the WoW forums. IS there hate for DKs among old school WoW players?

(he and I were good friends through college, and I can't imagine why he takes WoW so seriously...it's just a video game...)

Dresden

thetrin said:
Is this common? I never see hate for DKs on the WoW forums. IS there hate for DKs among old school WoW players?
Your friend is two years behind. The hate came and went and now no one cares.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why was there hate in the first place?

It's not like I bought someone else's character. I leveled my Paladin fair and square, and now I get to play as a character that starts at 55. That's just a perk of having a lvl 60 character.

It's not like I did it because I cheated.

Whatever. I don't get this shit.

Rapstah

The hate is justified slightly if you level a character to 55 and upon hitting 55 immediately create a DK and get a free 55-58 and somehow miss some amazing feature or change you would get between 55 and 58 and go fuck up BC instance groups.

Rapstah said:
The hate is justified slightly if you level a character to 55 and upon hitting 55 immediately create a DK and get a free 55-58 and somehow miss some amazing feature or change you would get between 55 and 58 and go fuck up BC instance groups.
What, no, huh? I'm confused.
Sai-kun said:
Welcome to the WoW community.
Yes, this.

People are fucking weird. Just ignore him.

borghe

Bisnic said:

umm.. this is really most bosses.. this is what I'm not getting. there aren't really any tank and spank bosses in cata. I mean not zero, but just thinking about it:

Stonecore
worm (run around)
dragon (los/run around)
ozruk (technically only tank has to run)
chicky (run around)

DM
ogre (run around in a circle)
goblin (run from bombs)
foe reaper (run from overdrive and harvest)
rip snarl (lots of changing targets)

lost city
general (run around)
croc (can run around to pickup crocs)
phoenix guy (suppose everyone can stand except whoever kites phoenix)
djinn (switching targets to add and running to avoid effects)

etc.

don't know.. guess I'm just wondering where you are getting your 12-14K heroic number from when your gear, by your own admission, is way under mine and grossly under our top mage (3/4 359 gear) and I'm pulling 12-14K in raid as fire and he's pulling 15K in raid as arcane. hell, our top surv hunter is doing 15-16K in raid, and she's 1 point average ilevel under me. For reference, I'm 346, she's 345, and our top mage doing 14-15K is 353.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Theres no justified hate for DKs. Maybe when they were new and totally OP there was a reason to hate them but now? And because you are missing the new content?

i guess what your friend is trying to get at is that saying making a DK and saying you are going to experience the Cata content isnt really going to work. The DK 55-58 is Wrath content, 58-68 is going to be TBC content and 68-80 is going to be Wrath content.

borghe

not even sure if there is a pre-requisite for DK any more. It gave my wife the option to make one on her account and she has zero level 55 characters.

I want to state for the record that I love Tranq shot in instances and wish more people noticed you using it.

I also wish that I could play on one character while queued for a dungeon on another.

Macattk15

borghe said:
umm.. this is really most bosses.. this is what I'm not getting. there aren't really any tank and spank bosses in cata. I mean not zero, but just thinking about it:

Stonecore
worm (run around)
dragon (los/run around)
ozruk (technically only tank has to run)
chicky (run around)

DM
ogre (run around in a circle)
goblin (run from bombs)
foe reaper (run from overdrive and harvest)
rip snarl (lots of changing targets)

lost city
general (run around)
croc (can run around to pickup crocs)
phoenix guy (suppose everyone can stand except whoever kites phoenix)
djinn (switching targets to add and running to avoid effects)

etc.

don't know.. guess I'm just wondering where you are getting your 12-14K heroic number from when your gear, by your own admission, is way under mine and grossly under our top mage (3/4 359 gear) and I'm pulling 12-14K in raid as fire and he's pulling 15K in raid as arcane. hell, our top surv hunter is doing 15-16K in raid, and she's 1 point average ilevel under me. For reference, I'm 346, she's 345, and our top mage doing 14-15K is 353.

Sounds about right. I'm Fury. The only boss I've killed in 25 man is Argaloth. I was almost 16k and top damage on our most recent kill with the Fire Mage 3rd at around 14.8k and the SV Hunter 2nd at 15k.

I do pull 12-14k in heroics sustained on bosses. But those are relatively short fights and Death Wish pumps me up quite well. Trash I can be around 16-18k.

thetrin

Rapstah said:

I can see why that would annoy people, but I did nothing of the sort.

- I quit WoW when my Pally hit 60 and got most of his Lightforge.
- I returned to make a Worgen DK (because I wasn't interested in doing 1-60 again)
- I haven't even done any instances yet, as I'm trying to get to Cata content atm.

water_wendi said:
Theres no justified hate for DKs. Maybe when they were new and totally OP there was a reason to hate them but now? And because you are missing the new content?

i guess what your friend is trying to get at is that saying making a DK and saying you are going to experience the Cata content isnt really going to work. The DK 55-58 is Wrath content, 58-68 is going to be TBC content and 68-80 is going to be Wrath content.

...except that I'm 75. I said that I was excited to check out Cata content, but that it would be a while. I'm fully aware that Outlands is BC, and Northrend is Wrath. I'm not stupid. :p

I was expressing my excitement in getting closer to 80 and heading to Vashj'ir.

Rapstah

thetrin said:
I can see why that would annoy people, but I did nothing of the sort.

- I quit WoW when my Pally hit 60 and got most of his Lightforge.
- I returned to make a Worgen DK (because I wasn't interested in doing 1-60 again)
- I haven't even done any instances yet, as I'm trying to get to Cata content atm.
1-60 is Cata content though! It'd be a waste not to do any of it.

thetrin

Rapstah said:
1-60 is Cata content though! It'd be a waste not to do any of it.
Maybe I'll go back to it eventually. I just don't want to go through 1-60 again. Low level MMO gaming is a huge snorefest for me, and I don't think I could have endured 1-80. I would never get to Deepholm.

Besides, I've been to all those zones before, and I have no interest in going back. I do archaeology right now, so I do enough traveling around EK and Kalimdor to see all the changes caused by The Shattering.

I don't think I need to do boring 1-60 questing again to experience what interests me the most about the low level Cata content.

(also, technically that 1-60 content is available to any new player, not just Cata buyers, so it's not like I'm skipping content I paid for. I would have paid for it no matter what :p)

Ugh I don't like how Howling Blast was nerfed. I understand maybe it did too much damage, but the frost tree was supposed to be the aoe tree. Now what am I going to do for aoe? Obviously I'll still use it for aoe, but now it really won't do enough dmg for it to be worth it unless it's a free cast.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jazzy Network said:
Ugh I don't like how Howling Blast was nerfed. I understand maybe it did too much damage, but the frost tree was supposed to be the aoe tree. Now what am I going to do for aoe? Obviously I'll still use it for aoe, but now it really won't do enough dmg for it to be worth it unless it's a free cast.
Could glyph it out and use that instead of Icy Touch? i dont know.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
thetrin said:
...except that I'm 75. I said that I was excited to check out Cata content, but that it would be a while. I'm fully aware that Outlands is BC, and Northrend is Wrath. I'm not stupid. :p

I was expressing my excitement in getting closer to 80 and heading to Vashj'ir.
Hey, i think your Facebook friend is crazy for getting so worked up. im not saying you didnt know this im just trying to figure out why your friend went insane :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe i need to do some runs during the weekend to check my numbers again before saying i do 14k, but im sure im always around 10-11k against heroics bosses with my frost mage... i had to kite the phoenix for the 3rd boss in heroic lost city yesterday, and i still managed to do DPS as good as our Arcane mage and warlock who were mostly focusing on the boss. Can easily reach 14K in the beginning while my mirror images, time warp, icy veins, lifeblood, trinket procs are all there, but eh..., everyone do crazy numbers when their self buffs are active. :D I remember hitting 18k after a Deep Freeze crit + instant Frostfire bolt crit during the first few secs of a boss fight. :lol

thetrin

water_wendi said:
Hey, i think your Facebook friend is crazy for getting so worked up. im not saying you didnt know this im just trying to figure out why your friend went insane :lol

My bad. :lol

(I don't get it either. He never got this worked up over WoW when we were in college)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Getting awful performance in swamp of sorrows. Wonder what's up with that.
Funny quest though, the bono parody who wants you steal back his smirnoff ice. :lol

<bono stares at you intently>
"That means you, brah." :lol

thetrin

Jtwo said:
Damn. Getting awful performance in swamp of sorrows. Wonder what's up with that.
Funny quest though, the bono parody who wants you steal back his smirnoff ice. :lol

<bono stares at you intently>
"That means you, brah." :lol

I had a smooth framerate in Terrokar and Howling Fjord two days ago, but then yesterday, it started chugging. I killed my draw distance, which helped, but I couldn't figure out why there was a drastic change in frame rate.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm just gonna skip SoS and push ahead to Blasted Lands.
I was already considering it, but the shitty framerate seals the deal.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Why everything has to be dick waving, one-upmanship, or dismissive sarcasm I just don't understand. Worst community thread on GAF.
Having invited many people from GAF to join up with my guild, I can attest to some people here just being a bit...much.

Luckily they show themselves quickly and can be removed just as quickly. :D

Azwethinkweiz said:
I think it's 4/5(5-mans), 8/10(10-mans) and 20-25(25 mans) to get credit for a group dungeon.
Thanks! Guess I'll have to quest for that guild reputation. I'm only level 70 at the moment on this character.

TheExodu5

Banned
borghe said:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/prinny/advanced

As a 352 Rogue (missing some enchants, and still with a few 333s, and a bit of pvp gear), I pull about 14-16k on bossfights with no target switching.

My Raid Dummy dps (unbuffed) stabilizes to around 11k.

borghe

TheExodu5 said:

As a 352 Rogue (missing some enchants, and still with a few 333s, and a bit of pvp gear), I pull about 14-16k on bossfights with no target switching.

by "you" I meant him specifically, as a frost mage. Obviously as an assassination rogue you are going to have no problems pulling in mid-teens DPS.

Garryk said:

dwth.jpg

PatzCU

Acidote said:
I got the zinrokh project right after reaching 450 archaeology :lol

Getting ring of the boy emperor was a pain in the ass though. Also, my brother got the scepter project 5 minutes after he got to 525 :lol

Gah, the scepter =(

I got Ring of the Boy Emperor about 2 solves into Tolvir and also got my Tyrande's Doll about 6 commons after finding all the other Night Elf rares. On the other hand, my good friend is at about 55 commons AFTER finding all other Night Elf rares and still doesn't have Tyrande's Doll.

Arch is so fucking random that some people just get really hosed. Blizz really needs to add some other element to the profession so people get at least SOME benefit from farming fragments they don't need.

Maybe a class of fragments that have a chance of spawning in ANY dig site with its own set of common/rares/mounts etc... Bring back the white raptor!

TheYanger

borghe said:
you are correct. and 25/40 for 40-mans... which sucks because for our guild it's damn near impossible to get 20-25 together for the old guild raid achievements. well, not impossible but if we do get 20-25 together, they'd (obviously) rather do 2x10-man or 25-man.

The 'old' raids only act as 10 mans for every instance. You don't need 20-25 people for credit.

thetrin said:
Is this common?

It's pretty common for WoW players to totally spaz out and throw a fit about shit that doesn't matter, yes. :lol

More seriously, it's only kind of lame that there's still only one "hero class" option specifically because leveling a DK is a great way to catch up with people on another server without paying real money to transfer and it'd be nice to have a couple more options to do that with -- anyone sensible isn't going to complain otherwise.

thetrin said:
I don't think I need to do boring 1-60 questing again

I concur with your decision to level from 55 rather than go the whole way up (I'm doing the same thing at the moment) but the 1-60 questing really isn't boring anymore. Lot of great zones in the old world now.

Jtwo said:

This is maybe my favorite quest ever, specifically because
all the crab mobs you have to kill are modeled with little Smirnoff Ice bottles in their claws

bunbun777

Can someone please answer this noob question for me please? I only have the base game installed and I have learned Jewelcrafting as a profession. Where can I find the jewelcrafting gear to start leveling my skills? I am in Duskwood atm, thanks!

--edit -- I found a list @ wowhead---

charlequin said:
It's pretty common for WoW players to totally spaz out and throw a fit about shit that doesn't matter, yes. :lol

More seriously, it's only kind of lame that there's still only one "hero class" option specifically because leveling a DK is a great way to catch up with people on another server without paying real money to transfer and it'd be nice to have a couple more options to do that with -- anyone sensible isn't going to complain otherwise.
Ya, I really wish they would have put in a healing hero class. Here's to hoping!

notworksafe

Blizzard seems gunshy about adding a new class. I can't blame them after how tough DKs must have been to balance.

Here's hoping to a ranged DPS/Healer class though! Make it use guns/bows to give Hunters some real gear competition, Blizz! :lol

TheExodu5 said:

I'd say my gear is a little bit worse than that.

I pull around the same on boss finds and my unbuffed DPS on dummies stabilises around 13K.

Finally enhance shammies are doing decent:D .

thetrin

charlequin said:

I completely agree with this. I would like more hero classes. It's lucky for me that DK is such a compelling class, and I thought it was a rip-off to spend $20 to move my Paladin over to Silvermoon.

charlequin said:
I concur with your decision to level from 55 rather than go the whole way up (I'm doing the same thing at the moment) but the 1-60 questing really isn't boring anymore. Lot of great zones in the old world now.

Yeah, I might start a level 1 with my friends once we get our guys to 85 and get some good gear, but I've always liked high level play more than low level.

thetrin said:
Why was there hate in the first place?

It's not like I bought someone else's character. I leveled my Paladin fair and square, and now I get to play as a character that starts at 55. That's just a perk of having a lvl 60 character.

It's not like I did it because I cheated.

Whatever. I don't get this shit.

DKs were crafted as a class LONG after the other 9, so intentional or not, they were still made with full knowledge of the other classes strengths and weaknesses, hence them being slightly OP at just about everything they could do. Not REALLY OP, but just enough to be annoying.

There was also the factor that they come rollin' up out of their starting zone in full 55 blues, whereas a notable number of early Wrath alts would be in a mishmash of 1.0 greens/blues.

Additionally, GC (in one of his flights of fancy he loves so) got the idea that every one of their trees could be possible to have both tanking, pvp, and melee in each tree. SURELY this couldn't have people acquiring powerful attacks by taking points in tanking talents yet still be viable at pvp! Nawww....

And finally, lots who rolled DK were named like xXArhtusjrXx and couldn't play with others in BC or 80 dungeons for shit and would wreck everyone's time and good mood.

Still, like others have said, this is in the past. Now we make fun of Worgen. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom