• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
From what I hear, people recommended Frost 2H from 80-85.
http://wowtal.com/#k=C_H-56N.a6q.deathknight
http://considerit1.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/leveling-2h-frosts-redemption/
I assume it'd be the same for low level.
Frost 2H is mostly desirable because you get to be in Unholy Presence the whole time AND get On a Pale Horse and Howling Blast to pick up lots of mobs. I don't think I died more than a couple of times from 80-85 on any of my characters.

webrunner said:
Note: I'm not an alchemist, but what I heard is that it depends on what zone you're in.

The first four cata zones each have some element associated with them and doing it in that zone gives you that element all the time (it should be obvious which is which)

Each zone has an elemental lord in it, and you get their element in that zone. Twilight Highlands gives you nothing, although perhaps in Beta is was designed to give you Volatile Shadow (which is depreciated)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Frost 2H is mostly desirable because you get to be in Unholy Presence the whole time AND get On a Pale Horse and Howling Blast to pick up lots of mobs. I don't think I died more than a couple of times from 80-85 on any of my characters.
Also Lichborne + DC can give a full heal apparently. Should have looked at frost more than I have.

I was leveling with unholy and couldn't take on more than a few mobs. In almost full PVP gear I can take on 10 Tol Barad mobs and solo Problem and that Shark in Blood. I never go below 95% health. So, that's where I'm at now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Also Lichborne + DC can give a full heal apparently. Should have looked at frost more than I have.

I was leveling with unholy and couldn't take on more than a few mobs. In almost full PVP gear I can take on 10 Tol Barad mobs and solo Problem and that Shark in Blood. I never go below 95% health. So, that's where I'm at now.
You can do that, but you end up having to go pretty slow. Once the DS Glyph goes in, going from 82-85 as Blood (when you get Pale Horse) is probably going to be a no-brainer.

Frankly, leveling an Arms warrior was easier than a DK because Victory Rush is pretty OP for leveling.

Angry Grimace

Finding a use for Dark Simulacrum in PvE on Lady Sinestra:

Simulacrum.jpg

Angry Grimace said:
Finding a use for Dark Simulacrum in PvE on Lady Sinestra:

Simulacrum.jpg

Terrible ability vindicated!

But yeah, was a bug/unintentional - was fixed shortly thereafter. Funny since they said it almost killed the boss all by itself.

Rapstah

They're talking about the tier as if they've done it all - and they practically have - but don't they still have 25 HC Al'Akir to go before they're done?

vehn

So if she has around 270 million HP and they did 200 million damage with that bug, why couldn't they have killed her early on?

J-Rzez

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Terrible ability vindicated!

But yeah, was a bug/unintentional - was fixed shortly thereafter. Funny since they said it almost killed the boss all by itself.

In PVE, it is terrible, in PVP though it's one of the most fun abilities there is in the game. There are countless times that people said "wtf" not realizing what I did. For example, in an arena match the other night our shammy lusted and I hit a paladin with DkS, in which I got my own pretty set of Wings too! I then went on to blow up the Ret pally who was at full-hp ~5 secs. :lol

It SHOULD have uses on all raid bosses personally, but it doesn't. Which is bullshit, as mages have a few opportunities to spell steal.

As far as leveling, I just went Unholy, as I'm used to the spec, like having a pet, and I died once the whole time only. It'll be even better soon with that Death Strike glyph they're putting in. I can see why some people would do Frost just in case they screw up and need to cc some mobs.

Flib

J-Rzez said:
In PVE, it is terrible, in PVP though it's one of the most fun abilities there is in the game. There are countless times that people said "wtf" not realizing what I did. For example, in an arena match the other night our shammy lusted and I hit a paladin with DkS, in which I got my own pretty set of Wings too! I then went on to blow up the Ret pally who was at full-hp ~5 secs. :lol

It SHOULD have uses on all raid bosses personally, but it doesn't. Which is bullshit, as mages have a few opportunities to spell steal.

As far as leveling, I just went Unholy, as I'm used to the spec, like having a pet, and I died once the whole time only. It'll be even better soon with that Death Strike glyph they're putting in. I can see why some people would do Frost just in case they screw up and need to cc some mobs.

I just finished leveling my DK to 80, and DK has always been my alt that I never really liked, even though I learned to tank on him. I especially always hated unholy.

What they've done to the class is awesome, and Unholy specifically is now one of the most fun specs in the game. It's just so god-damned fast and the rotation is fun. Also helps that in my normal 85 dungeons (still not heroic geared) I'm doing like 10.5k dps, but I know they're getting nerfed. Either way, spec if fun as hell now. I already have level 85 tank, heals and ranged dps, so I may just keep this guy unholy. Though since I'm the main tank of my guild, I won't have much opportunity to raid with him.

J-Rzez said:

Okay, sure you got lucky and grabbed wings one time.

I've grabbed useless lock teleports more times than I can count. It's just a bit too unreliable. If they cast an instant-cast, you have no idea what you're getting. If it's something with a cast time, I'm better off interrupting it. I'd feel better if you could talent to lower the cost to 0 runic power like Mind Freeze, or if it had no RP cost at all, since it's a 1 min. CD anyway.

J-Rzez

CarbonatedFalcon said:

I've grabbed useless lock teleports more times than I can count. It's just a bit too unreliable. If they cast an instant-cast, you have no idea what you're getting. If it's something with a cast time, I'm better off interrupting it. I'd feel better if you could talent to lower the cost to 0 runic power like Mind Freeze, or if it had no RP cost at all, since it's a 1 min. CD anyway.

You have to be a bit good at guessing what's coming, like I also nabbed a bubble before and used it to bandage myself in front of the pally thinking "ok, reset time lol, and youre dead", then killed him. Mage blinks are great because once you grab that, I use it nearly immediately to get out of the frost nova that certainly happened right before it. Psycic Screams, Fears, Hexes, Thunderstorm (you can grab it still sometimes for some reason), Death Coils, all great stuff. Sure you still get the shitty casts at times, but it's a lottery, and I win it a lot. So much fun.

Flib said:
What they've done to the class is awesome, and Unholy specifically is now one of the most fun specs in the game. It's just so god-damned fast and the rotation is fun.

Yes, I absolutely adore the way Unholy plays now. So fast, a lot of thinking on the fly managing runes to match up to situational uses (strangulates for example), it's great stuff.

vehn said:
So if she has around 270 million HP and they did 200 million damage with that bug, why couldn't they have killed her early on?
She was regening health when DkS hit. It nearly killed her. Blizz was also watching them and hotfixing between pulls. Must be frustrating knowing that a strat may not work an hour later.

So paragon spent 5 days theory crafting and planning for her. Wonder how many attempts and hours they spent fighting her.

At any rate, pretty impressive. A little surprised al'akir is the last boss left, and that nobody has killed him on heroic.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:

It's not a PvE ability. That's like saying Necrotic Strike should be useful on all raid bosses. That's just not what it's designed for. Mages rarely have the option to spellsteal anything useful on raid bosses in reality.

Angry Grimace said:
It's not a PvE ability. That's like saying Necrotic Strike should be useful on all raid bosses. That's just not what it's designed for. Mages rarely have the option to spellsteal anything useful on raid bosses in reality.

There are two useful spellsteals in current content that I can think of offhand, Omnitron and Maloriak. Really I'm a little annoyed by how useless they've made spellsteal ever since the soloing naxx and heroic hodir incidents involving it.

(As an aside spellsteal is the reason mages are higher in relative dps rankings on Omnitron than on any other fight.)

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh yeah, last night I was raging because I had a 30 minute (or whatever the time limit is) 2s match.

It was me (a Hunter) and a Shaman vs. a druid and warlock.

NOBODY WAS DYING. The closest to dying was me getting the warlock down to kill shot range, and then he just LOS'd me and the druid healed him back up.

I don't understand how that whole match actually happened. Either we were all really bad, or just perfectly matched with each other. The lock wasn't really doing much except fearing and throwing a couple dots. I hardly ever went below 50%.

I was kind of counting on one of our healers running out of mana, and that would decide the match, but the shammy never ran out of mana, the druid never ran out of mana, and neither did the lock. WTF? How do people keep their mana up?

webrunner

CarbonatedFalcon said:

can you copy a mage portal? What happens then?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh my god, I forgot about the expansion spike. my gear must be woefully underleveled for this content, killing regular enemies takes a long-ass time.

webrunner

Rez said:
oh my god, I forgot about the expansion spike. my gear must be woefully underleveled for this content, killing regular enemies takes a long-ass time.

I wonder, with the item budget for green-blue-purple the same now, was cata geared to purple or green for item level?

Angry Grimace

webrunner said:
can you copy a mage portal? What happens then?
What do you think? You get a portal. (that you can't take)
webrunner said:
I wonder, with the item budget for green-blue-purple the same now, was cata geared to purple or green for item level?
They are? That's pretty lame, although it only really mattered like once in WLK, at the heroic level where there were lvl 200 blues and lvl 200 purples.

J-Rzez

wonderdung said:
There are two useful spellsteals in current content that I can think of offhand, Omnitron and Maloriak. Really I'm a little annoyed by how useless they've made spellsteal ever since the soloing naxx and heroic hodir incidents involving it.

(As an aside spellsteal is the reason mages are higher in relative dps rankings on Omnitron than on any other fight.)

I forget, did they ever remove the buff you got from the flowers that you can spell steal from before Freya, that used to be nuts lol. Wasn't there an ability to steal in ToC as well? I forget, I don't play a mage in raids heh.

The spell steal on Maloriak is nice for mages, I remember hearing our mage ranting about it the other night on it. I never noticed how powerful it was if left on the boss, wonder if it's doable without getting rid of it.

Fugu

Owensboro said:
Question for people that have leveled up Alliance after the Cata patch: What zones are *must play* zones that I should hit while questing? I'm level 34 ATM and am pretty disappointed in the zones after Redridge as it doesn't really look like they have changed much in terms of getting more fun. The only neat part of Duskwood was the updated "Stiches" ending even though the town guards took him down fairly quickly. After that STV is really lame. It's all the same quests, the zone just looks different and is broken up into two pieces. Then I went to check out Arathi Highlands and that place is almost 100% unchanged. The only difference I found was that gate to the north and a random pirate ship that had 3-4 quests.

So.... anyone got a list of the cool zones they have changed alliance side with fun quests? I really don't want to do Nerstingway's quests ever again.
Late-ass response but I literally just did this (I was level 34 yesterday, 48 today) so...

I would avoid STV altogether, as it's no longer the glorious zone that it once was. Because for the longest time it was essentially the only area that was streamlined (hunting quests, Green Hills of Stranglethorn, various related troll quests) it was quite popular; the introduction of other options has just made it a boring jungle zone. There's a weird raptor stealth segment that you might enjoy (I didn't). Southern Barrens and Desolace cover the same level area, and both are quite different. WPL and EPL cover 35-45 (I do green quests so I was there from 40-47) and are almost unrecognisable. You are at the absolute bottom end of the Thousand Needles level range and that zone has been transformed entirely, so it's worth checking out (Shimmering Flats has been transformed completely). Badlands was boring and annoying; now it's just boring.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Since I am on my first mage, what stats do I look for on armor and weapons. I.E. for a rogue I looked for Agility first, etc.
Intelligence, spell power and critical strike are very important for a mage. Spell haste is nice but it doesn't do much in small numbers. Spell hit is important too but it's not really relevant for leveling. Other than that, stamina is a huge asset, spirit is sort of helpful (again, not very useful for leveling), and agility and strength are practically worthless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what?! Badlands was one of my favourite zones!

I had fun in basically all of the contested zones in the Eastern Kingdoms.

Fugu

Rez said:
what?! Badlands was one of my favourite zones!

I had fun in basically all of the contested zones in the Eastern Kingdoms.
The quest where you punt goats was quite funny, and the Trogg v. Cannon quest was entertaining too. Other than that, it's just too sparse for my tastes.

webrunner

Angry Grimace said:
What do you think? You get a portal. (that you can't take)

They are? That's pretty lame, although it only really mattered like once in WLK, at the heroic level where there were lvl 200 blues and lvl 200 purples.

Aw, I was hoping you could take it.

I wonder if there's anything else crazy you can do with it. I assume you can't steal things that cause the person to be untargetable like Teleport.

Stealing blink would just be confusing.

Can you steal item uses? Or procs?

And yeah, the difference between blue and purple and green now is purely the minimum level requirement (you can equip a BoE blue before a boe green of the same ilevel)

I was just wondering if they upped the green item budget instead of lowering purple, because I replaced most of my purples with greens before I left Vash'jir, but I never replaced them that fast in Wrath and BC.

On spellsteal: it just seems really underrepresented this expansion. Even the funny cool stuff like the Utgarde wolf transformation.

Ferrio

Banned
webrunner said:
On spellsteal: it just seems really underrepresented this expansion. Even the funny cool stuff like the Utgarde wolf transformation.

The spell steal on the elementals in tides is funny.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
webrunner said:

I wonder if there's anything else crazy you can do with it. I assume you can't steal things that cause the person to be untargetable like Teleport.

And yeah, the difference between blue and purple and green now is purely the minimum level requirement (you can equip a BoE blue before a boe green of the same ilevel)

I was just wondering if they upped the green item budget instead of lowering purple, because I replaced most of my purples with greens before I left Vash'jir, but I never replaced them that fast in Wrath and BC.

I love spellstealing those elite water elemental in the hallway leading to the final boss of ToT. 30k AOE DPS ftw.

edit : beaten

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my spells are barely denting my enemies. I think my armour is ok, if a tad weak, but for some reason my spells are barely denting the Naga Raiders.

Angry Grimace

webrunner said:

You can steal any spell that costs mana. You can steal blink.

Flib

Rez said:
my spells are barely denting my enemies. I think my armour is ok, if a tad weak, but for some reason my spells are barely denting the Naga Raiders.

You'll gear up quickly. What the 80-85 content does to your stats is insane. I play a tank in raids, and I now have over 170,000 health.

Won

Rez said:

Grab some of the level 78 green cataclysm stuff from the AH if you haven't done it already. Vashj'ir was like impossible on my Rogue till I did that.

Twig

Banned
H.Cornerstone said:
DOes anyone know, does the Wyrmrest champion work in Cata instances?
No it doesn't.

Does anyone know of a mod that tracks reputation? And by that I mean, tells me how many kills I need or how many turn-ins I need, or dailies, etc.

Angry Grimace

H.Cornerstone said:
DOes anyone know, does the Wyrmrest champion work in Cata instances?
You can solo a large amount of the WLK content at 85 unless you're one of a small number of really unlucky classes.
Won said:
Grab some of the level 78 green cataclysm stuff from the AH if you haven't done it already. Vashj'ir was like impossible on my Rogue till I did that.

Doing 4.5K dps at level 78 is pretty hilarious on my Warlock.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did Halls of Origination and Lost City of Tol'Vir today. That is the end of my first time going through the Normal dungeons for the first time.

From here on out it's either Heroic dungeons, or randoms for justice points.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
You can do that, but you end up having to go pretty slow. Once the DS Glyph goes in, going from 82-85 as Blood (when you get Pale Horse) is probably going to be a no-brainer.

Frankly, leveling an Arms warrior was easier than a DK because Victory Rush is pretty OP for leveling.
I've been leveling is fury from 69-79 any reason to go Arms?

No45

Rez said:
What spec are you? Perhaps they're resistant to whatever your main nuke tree is? I used to hate coming up against Water Elementals when levelling as a Frost Mage. :'(

TheExodu5 said:
Chimaeron has exposed our healers for the shitty players they are.

Well it's basically the Anub'arak mechanic again, except the fight is harder.

Make them all configure their addons (I know you can do it with Grid) to give the low health warning at 10k HP. If they aren't doing that they're doing it wrong.

Otherwise, elaborate.

TheExodu5 said:
Chimaeron has exposed our healers for the shitty players they are.
We have pretty good healers but when we tried to 10 man it with a bad comp (2 paladins and a disc priest) we just got rocked. It should still be perfectly doable, it's a free win once your healers stop sucking.

Doing the tanking right helps too, I think our first few attempts we were doing it very wrongly.

wonderdung said:
We have pretty good healers but when we tried to 10 man it with a bad comp (2 paladins and a disc priest) we just got rocked. It should still be perfectly doable, it's a free win once your healers stop sucking.

Doing the tanking right helps too, I think our first few attempts we were doing it very wrongly.

With the way Disc is right now, Priest should be holy, honestly, especially with two paladins as your other healers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom