• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rapstah said:
Two types of points:
  • Justice Points - gained from killing heroic bosses and completing heroic instances. You'll be bathing in them within a week.
  • Valor Points - gained from your first random heroic every day and downing raid bosses at level 85.

There are essentially three levels of items currently viable at level 85:
  • Untiered heroic gear (item level 346) - drops from heroic bosses and is buyable with justice points.
  • Tier 11 (item level 359) - buyable with Valor Points and also obtainable from tokens that drop from certain raid bosses.
  • Tier 11.2 or 11.5 or whatever you want to call it (item level 372) - obtained from upgrading normal tier 11 gear with tokens that drop from heroic raid bosses.

As the next content patch hits with tier 12, everything will be shifted down a vendor, causing Tier 11 to be sold from the Justice Point vendor. You will probably still need tokens for the 372 stuff.

There's 346 gear from rep vendors as well. My Crown of Wings is 346 from Wildhammer Revered. There's also 346 Exalted rep gear.

Garryk

thefil said:
I have a question: how does gear breakup between [lower tier]/[higher tier] points work? Does gear ever become "cheaper" or is the only way to progress after heroics to do raiding?

Right now, the only way to get valor points is from your first random heroic completion of the day (70) and from killing raid bosses. When the next tier of raid gear comes out, the current valor point gear will be purchased with justice points and the new gear will cost valor.

So the fastest way to progress is raiding, but if you don't want to do that, you will be able to purchase better gear with justice points when the next raid tier releases.

EDIT: triple beaten

thefil

Rapstah said:
As the next content patch hits with tier 12, everything will be shifted down a vendor, causing Tier 11 to be sold from the Justice Point vendor. You will probably still need tokens for the 372 stuff.

Thanks, that was what I really wanted to know.

Rapstah

thetrin said:
There's 346 gear from rep vendors as well. My Crown of Wings is 346 from Wildhammer Revered. There's also 346 Exalted rep gear.
Yeah, there's 333 gear at Honored, 346 at Revered and 359 at Exalted from all factions except Therazane.

Kraftwerk

This is so frustrating. I had an old account which i used to play on. I took a break from wow for a few months to focus on my studies. Now come back last week to logon and the info has been changed. I call blizz and the rep helped me out in 5 minutes, i said thank you and hung up.

I go ahead and Login and see that my character has been transferred to an OCEANIC realm which has a 5-6 hour time difference, AND on top of that faction changed too. My gold is gone- i remember having 4-5k- and some items missing. I don't really care about all that, being lvl 80 items and all. I just want the transfers to be reverted. I call blizz again and the rep puts in a ticket for a gm to do it. Now i get an email saying that :

" There is no evidence that the Faction change and transfers were not initiaded by the original account owner, therefore we cannot help you'

seriosly wtf? i live in canada and my character has been transferred to a oceanic realm and nearly everything is gone...wtf is 'not enough evidence' ??

This is some real BS i emailed them again and still havent heard anything.

Sorry for the long post im really frustrated atm. I just wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar issue and will blizz do anything?

notworksafe

Call Blizzard and tell them your account was hacked. They will start a process to get everything back in order for you. In Canada the number is 1-800-592-5499.

Kraftwerk

notworksafe said:
Call Blizzard and tell them your account was hacked. They will start a process to get everything back in order for you. In Canada the number is 1-800-592-5499.

I did and the rep put in a ticket for me. That was the reply form the ticket. the 'no evidence' bs.

TheYanger

I know I'm a page late, but as a tank for years, I gotta say, the hardest part is finding a guild that has an opening for a tank, or tanking pugs/gdkps etc for people to get to know them, then being recruited.

Easiest way to get into a raiding guild now? probably holy priest or warlock :p

That said, The whole reason I went to tanking (rogue main through BC) was because you get tired of playing with tanks who you KNOW you're better than. A good tank rarely has much to add to an encounter tbh, but bad tanks can sure show their flaws in a hurry.

J-Rzez

KernelPanic said:
Shame I am having fun playing melee DPS and the talk I am hearing from the game and my guild is range >>>>> melee for raids, not that I have time for raids ATM.

Ranged is EZ-mode compared to melee (AoEs to run out of = loss of DPS, cone damage, cleaves, hard to see shit, etc), but melee is vastly more fun to play because you actually have to do shit 80% of the time, not just stand and plant. Oh well, I'm near or at tops of the meters all the time on my DK, glad they're nerfing Unholy so it won't top the meters anymore, and thus ranged can reign supreme while just stand and planting vastly more in time.

I am the only melee DPS besides out OT when they go DPS for some fights, but that's about it.

Anyone else notice their queue times doubling? I think less and less people are doing heroics now that they have their gear.

347u0y1.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My average queue time for regular cat dungeons as a tank is currently around 7 seconds. I'm curious to see what the queue times will be for heroics now that I'm geared and ready to go.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My god. If you're leveling a warrior and have the Arcanite Ripper or something when you hit 80, upgrade your weapon ASAP or you will want to kill yourself.

In Vashj'ir you can kill Sabreclaw Skitterer for Crumpled Treasure Map as soon as you get there. 40% drop rate.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm pretty sure 1 minute to 2 minutes for a healer, while technically a "doubling" isn't representative of a doubling of queue times on the whole.

Yeah lol, going from 1 to 2 mins as a healer is barely something to worry about. You can't expect to have 1 min everytime. Now, if it was 15 mins, that might be something.

Dizzy-4U

charlequin said:
WoW's economy is bottom-up compared to the real world.

In reality, raw materials are cheaper than finished goods because finishing them requires putting work and value into them -- when you buy a chair, you're actually buying the raw materials plus the labor used to convert them into a chair.

In WoW, crafters actually benefit from crafting -- they get skill ups, they get master procs, they learn new recipes, they contribute to achievements, etc. As a result, for everything but the absolute most desirable crafted products, crafting a raw material into a finished product actually removes value from it (by using up its potential for skill-ups, etc.)

In addition, nowadays a lot of the trade goods are more valuable because they can be used by multiple professions: ore can be smelted or prospected, herbs can go into potions or inks, etc.

Generally speaking, for a craft recipe to add value to the cost of the raw materials, it needs to produce something that is hard to get and use up some resource that isn't simply convertable directly to gold -- e.g. Chaos Orbs from running heroics or daily cooldowns -- or it has to be so hard to find that the crafters who know it can keep supply low, or both.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

thetrin said:
My average queue time for regular cat dungeons as a tank is currently around 7 seconds. I'm curious to see what the queue times will be for heroics now that I'm geared and ready to go.

They will be instant. I seriously feel like the pop-up shows up before I'm even finished clicking the queue button. It's like the game knows and wants to throw me in a dungeon as soon as possible.

thetrin

Azwethinkweiz said:
They will be instant. I seriously feel like the pop-up shows up before I'm even finished clicking the queue button. It's like the game knows and wants to throw me in a dungeon as soon as possible.

God bless being a tank.

I've been away from the game for a week while on vacation and I'm excited to play again.
However, I am now pretty confused as to who will get my time.

I think I'll go with my 63 shaman (I really don't like my 85s and my 84--max level is kind of boring for me). But his profs are in pretty bad shape (skin/lw). I think I'll just drop them and pick up a moneymaker combo--but I'm not sure which! Any suggestions as to what is good to make some cash?

Wow I feel like a druid right now after reading the PTR notes

* Aura Mastery: This ability no longer increases the benefit granted by Crusader Aura.

I QUIT THE GAME!!!!1

cdyhybrid

Just a heads-up for anyone doing the Lunar Festival achievements - there's an Elder inside the fortress in Wintergrasp. If your faction doesn't control the zone it's impossible to reach him (AFAIK) if the doors are up, so if you see that you have WG go and talk to the Elder ASAP.

I'm going to have to try and solo WG since no one does the piece of shit anymore. Fucking brilliant, Blizzard. Force us to do outdated world PvP content to finish a yearly event.

Edit:

SnakeswithLasers said:
I've been away from the game for a week while on vacation and I'm excited to play again.
However, I am now pretty confused as to who will get my time.

I think I'll go with my 63 shaman (I really don't like my 85s and my 84--max level is kind of boring for me). But his profs are in pretty bad shape (skin/lw). I think I'll just drop them and pick up a moneymaker combo--but I'm not sure which! Any suggestions as to what is good to make some cash?

Mining/Herbalism. Any two gathering professions, really.

Twig

Banned
cdyhybrid said:
I'm going to have to try and solo WG since no one does the piece of shit anymore. Fucking brilliant, Blizzard. Force us to do outdated world PvP content to finish a yearly event.
They've been doing shit like that for ages. Welcome to the World of Warcraft.

I wish they'd update Wintergrasp, or do SOMETHING, to make it more enticing to people. I jump in every now and then and it's generally 5v5, which is horrible for such a large "battleground".

Do I know what they could do? No. Not really. ):

But I always enjoyed it when I did it with full groups on both sides. It'd be nice to have that back again.

cdyhybrid said:
Mining/Herbalism. Any two gathering professions, really.
Ya, I figured that--I'm just bored of gathering. I've never maxed a non-gathering prof (at least not since vanilla). But if that's the only way to make money, I'll get out my garden shears and pick axe.

cdyhybrid

Twig said:
They've been doing shit like that for ages. Welcome to the World of Warcraft.

I've been playing off and on since Day 1, I know exactly how Blizzard does things. I'll be damned if that stops me from complaining about it though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ToyMachine228 said:
New patch on the PTR increases the mana cost of Flash of Light, Holy Light and Divine Light for Paladins. Lame.
They just took a hard look at it and decided that healing was getting to be too tolerable. Adding 10% extra nonfun should fix the balance problem.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, God forbid holy paladins actually have a chance of running out of mana! OH ME OH MY.
cdyhybrid said:
I've been playing off and on since Day 1, I know exactly how Blizzard does things. I'll be damned if that stops me from complaining about it though.
GOOD POINT!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
NameGenerated said:
Are the Elders in the WotLK dungeons solo-able at 85?

I soloed it no problem as a frost mage. Since it doesnt require to be heroics, the trash only have like 30k HP and the bosses have as much health as a regular mob with high health at lvl 85.

cuevas said:
Anyone else notice their queue times doubling? I think less and less people are doing heroics now that they have their gear.

347u0y1.jpg

Guild runs. We're terrified of horror stories, and would want to learn with friends anyways.

They just took a hard look at it and decided that healing was getting to be too tolerable. Adding 10% extra nonfun should fix the balance problem.

I only worry if this is the top of another slippery slope of kneejerk thruput -> functionality -> regen -> rinse repeat nerfs due to high iLevel. They really, REALLY need to start sitting on changes till 4.x patches when they'll know what gear and bossfights will be balanced to. They get blindsided too much lately.

Alex

Paladin healing is pretty overpowered, I wouldn't be surprised if those weren't the only nerfs now that all of the parses are adding up and hard modes are being broken into more. They could probably stand to take down the values on heals themselves about 10% in addition and at best that'd only take them down to about the level of Holy Priests.

Issue, I think, is that Holy Paladins and Holy Priests have been tweaked in such ways that they're almost designed around supposedly removed specializations, ie; tank healer and raid healer, while gaining all of the boons of the generalization.

Holy Paladin spell values are just sky high, they were stronger and cheaper than the rest, and with the juggernaut Divine Light is, Beacon is stupidly strong even at 50%. Priests, well, Prayer of Healing basically murders every single other AoE heal in the game by a large degree. Gigantic range, cheap as hell, heals for ENORMOUS amounts of damage for what it is. It really makes the somewhat overpowered PoH from the Ulduar days seem meek by comparison.

Still, rather than going much farther, it'd be more fun for a rather battered archetype if they'd just buff up HoTs and Chain Heal rather than goring the Holy specs too much more. The Resto twins aren't just parsing 20-30% lower than the Holy specs because they are evil and overpowered, it's because Chain Heal is completely fucking useless and Shamans have no cooldowns and the Druid design in general just needs more meat on it.

What are the worst/best classes to solo content (meaning old dungeons and such)?

My guess is hunters are on top and priests are near the bottom, but I'm not sure how the middle of the list would fare. And hell, maybe priests are epic dungeon soloers.

Ah hell, I'll pretend rank them:
  1. Hunter
  2. Paladin
  3. Druid
  4. Death Knight
  5. Warrior
  6. Warlock
  7. Mage
  8. Shaman
  9. Rogue
  10. Priest
What do you guys think? I'm saying full clear, WotLK dungeons and heroics. If just bosses, druid would probably be number 1. Although, now hunters have invisibility, so I guess that's a toss up.

Alex

Blood DK is the best, from what I can tell. Probably Protection Paladin second and Hunter around that mark.

I was able to get Magtheradon as Enhancement, that made me happy! We duo Kael'thas each week as a Fury Warrior and Resto Shaman pair, but someone during the beta was able to solo it on a DK. Still, that must have taken forever. ><

Alex

1/24 additions to notes:

Guilds
The guild reward Armadillo Pup now requires revered faction instead of exalted.
The guild faction requirement on the Guild Herald has been lowered to Revered reputation.

Dungeons & Raids
Level-85 dungeon bosses in Lost City of the Tol'Vir, Grim Batol, and Halls of Origination now drop 30 Justice Points each when killed.
The daily Random Dungeon reward on normal difficulty has been increased to 140 Justice Points, up from 70.
Players no longer need to discover Cataclysm dungeon entrances in order to access them via the Dungeon Finder.

Druid (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Rejuvenation is now trained at level 3, down from level 8. In addition, its mana cost is now 20% of base mana.

Balance
Moonkin Form now grants 15% damage reduction instead of increased armor. In addition, shapeshifting in or out of this form now breaks roots. Note this is not stated in the tooltip.

Feral
Blood in the Water: Timing on this effect has been improved so that Ferocious Bite will immediately refresh Rip, rather than be slightly delayed (which gave a chance for the Rip to expire despite being refreshed).

Paladin (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Divine Light mana cost has been increased by approximately 10%.
Flash of Light mana cost has been increased by approximately 10%.
Holy Light mana cost has been increased by approximately 10%.
Lay on Hands now causes Forbearance on the target. It used to only cause it when cast on the paladin. This was an old design from when Divine Protection caused Forbearance and the paladin didn't want to prevent a tank from using their defensive cooldown.
Lay on Hands cannot be a critical effect and will not be affected by most abilities which modify healing (such as Beacon of Light). In addition, Lay on Hands is no longer on the global cooldown.

Holy
Aura Mastery: This ability no longer increases the benefit granted by Crusader Aura.

Protection
Eternal Glory: The chance to not consume Holy Power from this talent now also applies to not consuming the clearcasting effect generated by Divine Purpose.

Priest (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Mind Blast now does 18% more damage than Mind Spike.

Rogue (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Combat
Blade Flurry is now a toggle that can be turned off by pressing the button again. In addition, this ability no longer has a fixed duration, but will go on cooldown for 10 seconds after being canceled (similar to Stealth). In addition, Blade Flurry now reduces energy generation by 30% while active, up from 20%.

Shaman (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Healing Rain now has a 40-yard radius, up from 30, to be consistent with other shaman heals.

Elemental
Elemental Overload (Mastery) procs of Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning can now generate Rolling Thunder charges.

Warlock (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Devour (Felhunter) cooldown has been increased to 20 seconds, up from 8. Devour is no longer able to be auto-cast.

Affliction
Soul Swap can no longer be dispelled (the aura given to the warlock between swapping).

Warrior (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Fury
Single-Minded Fury bonus has been increased to 20%, up from 15%.

Items
The PvP Balance druid 4-piece set bonus effect has been increased to 20 Solar Energy and 13 Lunar Energy, up from 5 and 13. The effect will also now be more intelligent at choosing whether to give the druid Lunar or Solar Energy (it checks the Balance Power to determine which to give depending on which energy is higher at the time).

Quests & Creatures
Tol Barad
Rusty Rifles will now spawn more frequently at Farson Keep.
Players should now always receive 6 daily quests in Tol Barad Peninsula as intended, rather than sometimes only getting 5.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Guild runs. We're terrified of horror stories, and would want to learn with friends anyways.

As a healer I pretty much feel that I can control what kind of run we have. I let people I don't like or feel are useless on boss fights die and we can still come out of it okay.

Also the only thing that bothers me is that now Paladin tanks won't be able to use their LoH. It's just going to be one more thing to be aware of and not really a big deal but to say that it needs to be added back because DP doesn't give Forbearance anymore is a joke.

Alex said:
Blood DK is the best, from what I can tell. Probably Protection Paladin second and Hunter around that mark.

I was able to get Magtheradon as Enhancement, that made me happy! We duo Kael'thas each week as a Fury Warrior and Resto Shaman pair, but someone during the beta was able to solo it on a DK. Still, that must have taken forever. ><
Wow, is Blood that powerful with self heals? I need to level one of my DKs one of these days.

Kraftwerk said:
I did and the rep put in a ticket for me. That was the reply form the ticket. the 'no evidence' bs.

Call again. Be firm but polite.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I think I'll just drop them and pick up a moneymaker combo--but I'm not sure which! Any suggestions as to what is good to make some cash?

As always, YMMV, but my experience across several servers recently is that Outland herbs are a huge money-making opportunity: the big alt-leveling wave is past Outland now and Felweed, Nightmare Vine, Dreaming Glory, and Netherbloom are more useful and much harder to find than the Northrend equivalents.

SnakeswithLasers said:
What are the worst/best classes to solo content (meaning old dungeons and such)?

Hunters and DKs are definitely the top of the heap on this, probably with Paladins somewhere comparable, then Shamans and Warlocks a big step down. I actually don't think Druids are particularly well-suited to "extreme soloing" due to the need to shapeshift.

Alex said:
Paladin healing is pretty overpowered, I wouldn't be surprised if those weren't the only nerfs now that all of the parses are adding up and hard modes are being broken into more. They could probably stand to take down the values on heals themselves about 10% in addition and at best that'd only take them down to about the level of Holy Priests.

Issue, I think, is that Holy Paladins and Holy Priests have been tweaked in such ways that they're almost designed around supposedly removed specializations, ie; tank healer and raid healer, while gaining all of the boons of the generalization.

Holy Paladin spell values are just sky high, they were stronger and cheaper than the rest, and with the juggernaut Divine Light is, Beacon is stupidly strong even at 50%. Priests, well, Prayer of Healing basically murders every single other AoE heal in the game by a large degree. Gigantic range, cheap as hell, heals for ENORMOUS amounts of damage for what it is. It really makes the somewhat overpowered PoH from the Ulduar days seem meek by comparison.

Still, rather than going much farther, it'd be more fun for a rather battered archetype if they'd just buff up HoTs and Chain Heal rather than goring the Holy specs too much more. The Resto twins aren't just parsing 20-30% lower than the Holy specs because they are evil and overpowered, it's because Chain Heal is completely fucking useless and Shamans have no cooldowns and the Druid design in general just needs more meat on it.

Bolded for truth. I still, 2+ years later, wish they'd go back to at-function CoH and CH, with PoH and HR being focused on groups/more powerful, respectively. They HAVE to know this is going to happen, right? Right?

And when the nerfbat hits, I guarentee the phrase "using only one spell is boring" will be used by either GC or sycophants, obscuring the real reasons. Watch.

T11 being a boon to regen (facilitating the herding mentality to HP/SP/INT gemming) is adding to it.

cdyhybrid

Speaking of soloing old dungeons, I've been thinking about soloing some dungeons for cool items (mounts, etc.) - does anyone have any ideas for what I could pull off? I'm a Blood DK. I want to try Skadi on Heroic for the Blue Proto Drake. Obviously Strat for the Deathcharger, although I don't really want/need that one since I have my DK mount. Any other ideas?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
two WOW questions that I assume have been asked since the beginning of time?

1. What's the point of additional mana if all your spells take a percentage of your total? just a superficial bonus/reason to buy higher level recovery items?

2. Why do people all congregate in Orgimmar and Stormwind over the Undercity and whatever that Kalimdor equivalent for the Alliance is?

Tamanon

Banned
Rez said:

1. What's the point of additional mana if all your spells take a percentage of your total? just a superficial bonus/reason to buy higher level recovery items?

2. Why do people all congregate in Orgimmar and Stormwind over the Undercity and whatever that Kalimdor equivalent for the Alliance is?

1. The spells cost a percentage of your base mana, the mana you would have without any Intellect, not your total mana.

2. Org/Stormwind have the new dailies and have the portals to all the 80-85 zones.

Rez said:

Abilities take percentage of your BASE mana.

Orcs and Humans are the main races I'm guessing. When I was alliance SW and IF were equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom