• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Yeah, they will most likely be tuned down a bit, but even that first boss (which is super simple in normal mode) has some tight requirements and well done mechanics. Very promising.

I obviously don't want super long heroics, but I'm so mind-numbingly bored by not even having to pay attention to boss mechanics at all at this point, since you can aoe any adds or easily eat any enrages.

Aurarian said:
So I think it's a gear problem. My tps seem to improved quite a bit when I got some upgrades. (Specifically the bracers and leggings in HPoS) The problem really seems to lie in the rotation ramp up where once I get that five stack of lacerate in and follow the mangle > x > x(x could be either ff/swipe/or lacerate), it improves significantly with an average of 4.5k-6k if I don't miss globals and such.

One other thing, but is it me or do most dps just not seem to care about letting tanks build up threat and such?

I quit tanking on my bear when I had the same gear as you did right down to the staff. I got a few upgrades going boomkin in 5mans and once I got a few more in ICC thats when I had the nerve to tank 5 mans again. Was too frustrating before, especially since my prot pally had far less trouble at the same gear level.

No DPS do not let tanks build up threat in 5man, in fact DPS don't really give a crap about the tank. DPS pop trinkets and cooldowns as soon as a fight start every time. If they pull aggro its the tank/healer's fault. I blame Recount.

The way I see it if they're geared enough to pull aggro off me, they're geared enough to tank whatever they pulled. Typically they do kill it before it hits them too much.

You're the tank, abuse your powers. If people don't let you tank, feel free to let them tank or just leave the group and find more cooperative people. You're a tank you have instaqueue.

If they are making heroics harder then it will obviously take longer to do especially with pugs, I hope they increase the points per heroic so it doesn't take forever to gear up

Aurarian

KernelPanic said:
I quit tanking on my bear when I had the same gear as you did right down to the staff. I got a few upgrades going boomkin in 5mans and once I got a few more in ICC thats when I had the nerve to tank 5 mans again. Was too frustrating before, especially since my prot pally had far less trouble at the same gear level.

No DPS do not let tanks build up threat in 5man, in fact DPS don't really give a crap about the tank. DPS pop trinkets and cooldowns as soon as a fight start every time. If they pull aggro its the tank/healer's fault. I blame Recount.

The way I see it if they're geared enough to pull aggro off me, they're geared enough to tank whatever they pulled. Typically they do kill it before it hits them too much.

You're the tank, abuse your powers. If people don't let you tank, feel free to let them tank or just leave the group and find more cooperative people. You're a tank you have instaqueue.

You know, I actually did that yesterday. I stopped taunting the mob and let the warlock or w/e the fuck die. Then I told him to hit marked targets so that he wouldn't overaggro. This is how it went. "So the tank thinks that I should hit marked targets? FUCK THAT! No, LET ME JUST SEED OF CORRUPTION AND HELLFIRE IT ALL AWAY. YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

I hope I get the harpoon today. I only need like two or three things and I'm done with her unless she hits ICC anytime soon.

Flib

I've never really had threat issues as a bear, even when I started tanking...maybe people on your battlegroup are retarded?

HoR is always a crapshoot, so no reason to stress over that. Sometimes the dps just sucks or the healer can't handle it, and it's out of your hands. If you're having problems in other dungeons but you see your healer is good, I'd suggest running ahead of the group. When you're tanking a group and have sufficient threat to last until their dead, move on to the next group. The rest of the dps will finish up the one you were on, while you'll get solid initial aggro on the next. I also see bears who don't charge, which is actually really bad. It's a good way to get in fast and build up your initial threat.

On boss fights, just beserk at the beginning and go mangle-crazy.

Dunlop

Aurarian said:
You know, I actually did that yesterday. I stopped taunting the mob and let the warlock or w/e the fuck die. Then I told him to hit marked targets so that he wouldn't overaggro. This is how it went. "So the tank thinks that I should hit marked targets? FUCK THAT! No, LET ME JUST SEED OF CORRUPTION AND HELLFIRE IT ALL AWAY. YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

I hope I get the harpoon today. I only need like two or three things and I'm done with her unless she hits ICC anytime soon.

I will constantly let the DPS dies after they ignore a friendly warning, usually I will just /wave emote at them as they are getting pounded to give the healer the message that this is on purpose and to stop healing. I'll pull the aggro off of everyone else, either they fall in line or quit the instance and with the high wait times for DPS the latter rarely happens.

TomServo

KernelPanic said:

I feel the same way with healing heroics (on my battlegroup healers have a 2-3 minute queue). I had a group that did terrible dps and left me in a frost tomb in UK. Took them so long to dps the boss down that one of them died while I was tombed. They all started telling me how terrible I was, I didn't say a word I just dropped group.

Best part is that with one boss dead the group shows up to queued healers as "in progress", which means most healers won't join since they assume there's some fail going on.

Aurarian

Flib said:
I've never really had threat issues as a bear, even when I started tanking...maybe people on your battlegroup are retarded?

HoR is always a crapshoot, so no reason to stress over that. Sometimes the dps just sucks or the healer can't handle it, and it's out of your hands. If you're having problems in other dungeons but you see your healer is good, I'd suggest running ahead of the group. When you're tanking a group and have sufficient threat to last until their dead, move on to the next group. The rest of the dps will finish up the one you were on, while you'll get solid initial aggro on the next. I also see bears who don't charge, which is actually really bad. It's a good way to get in fast and build up your initial threat.

On boss fights, just beserk at the beginning and go mangle-crazy.

Maybe, I dunno. I know I'm doing the rotation right so it's probably a combination of gear and that. As for HoR yeah. It's actually not an instance where you can fuck around which I like, but don't like as well since I'm chaining them for badges. I avoid it on my warrior if it comes up on random since most people can't seem to do it right as you say.

Dunlop said:
I will constantly let the DPS dies after they ignore a friendly warning, usually I will just /wave emote at them as they are getting pounded to give the healer the message that this is on purpose and to stop healing. I'll pull the aggro off of everyone else, either they fall in line or quit the instance and with the high wait times for DPS the latter rarely happens.

You know, I'm gonna have to start doing that more often because this mentality was brought upon because of the way things are now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's cool to see Varian actually help his people in the Stormwind streets during the pre-Cata event.

But it looks like Garrosh just sit like an idiot inside the throne's room. Too busy enjoying his new life as the Asshole Warchief i guess.

Bisnic said:
It's cool to see Varian actually help his people in the Stormwind streets during the pre-Cata event.

But it looks like Garrosh just sit like an idiot inside the throne's room. Too busy enjoying his new life as the Asshole Warchief i guess.

I wonder what Metzen is up to.

The horde leadership goes from a respected, established character like Thrall to Hellscream(who'll never be as cool as Dad).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What the hell happened to the testosterone in WoW? I join an Onyxia 10 raid, the Paladin healer wasn't watching out for a Deep Breath 50% in. Of course shit hits the fan, things become fun and we wipe. Somehow a Mage was stuck right in front of her, lagging to hell and back. We get up to go again, and he reconnects back only for her to rage and wipe us all out again.

One of the DPS has a whinge and quits the raid, followed silently by another DPS. Since when has a raid supposed to be 100% successful, let alone a PUG at that? Absolutely laughable.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Probably because its Onyxia 10, and people expect everyone to be in ICC gear & oneshotting the boss.

speedpop

I just find it funny when things go wrong in this game people still start pointing fingers and throwing accusations. Yeah they may be right, but so what? Will it make you feel better to berate the other person over raid chat? Our MT healer screwed up, no biggie and certainly no reason to leave a raid over it.

Oh well.

ezekial45

Banned
speedpop said:
What the hell happened to the testosterone in WoW? I join an Onyxia 10 raid, the Paladin healer wasn't watching out for a Deep Breath 50% in. Of course shit hits the fan, things become fun and we wipe. Somehow a Mage was stuck right in front of her, lagging to hell and back. We get up to go again, and he reconnects back only for her to rage and wipe us all out again.

One of the DPS has a whinge and quits the raid, followed silently by another DPS. Since when has a raid supposed to be 100% successful, let alone a PUG at that? Absolutely laughable.

Easy loot happened. People want to be carried through raids now.

I have to say that I acknowledge that we are stuck with GearScore.

But why the fuck is there a GS addon AND the fucking WoW Heroes page and two different scores being quoted in-game?

I would be so happy if the GS addon guy made a WHGS toggle in his app.

Arrrgh!

Calantus

Looks like Cata isn't going to be ideal for my playstyle, if it had came out after BC i would have loved it. I just can't do 4 hour raids like i used to.

Aesthet1c

krypt0nian said:
I have to say that I acknowledge that we are stuck with GearScore.

But why the fuck is there a GS addon AND the fucking WoW Heroes page and two different scores being quoted in-game?

I would be so happy if the GS addon guy made a WHGS toggle in his app.

Arrrgh!

Honestly I would imagine this just gets integrated into the WoW client natively at some point. That would be best anyways so that we would have a uniform number, instead of all these different sites having their own number to rate your gear by.

Also.. I'm so hoping the patch hits Tuesday.

Aesthet1c said:
Honestly I would imagine this just gets integrated into the WoW client natively at some point. That would be best anyways so that we would have a uniform number, instead of all these different sites having their own number to rate your gear by.

Also.. I'm so hoping the patch hits Tuesday.

True. They are already using a gear minimum to get into instances.

Aesthet1c

krypt0nian said:
True. They are already using a gear minimum to get into instances.

Yeah exactly, and I hate the way they do it now because it's just kind of a guess if you are geared enough to enter. It would be awesome if they had their own number system, that way it would be easy to say "Sorry you need 5400+ to enter this instance"

notworksafe

Well isn't GS based on item level? I thought I had read that. Either way I don't like GS in any form because it doesn't take gemming or enchanting into account. Some clown could enchant everything he owns with +fishing and use all spirit gems as a tank and still get the same GS as me. That's kinda bogus IMO. Blizz should have never made ilvl public knowledge.

notworksafe

FLEABttn said:
People wanted to be carried through raids back in vanilla. And TBC.
^ Truth. 40 man raids were the same back then as 25 man raids are now, but with 15 people AFK. Same can be said for many 25 man raids now as compared to 10 mans.

FLEABttn

Banned
notworksafe said:
^ Truth. 40 man raids were the same back then as 25 man raids are now, but with 15 people AFK. Same can be said for many 25 man raids now as compared to 10 mans.

They were the "Fat 15" for a reason. In all the theatrics that 40 man guilds posted on the forums at the end of vanilla, they already knew which 15 they wanted to cut.

mclem

speedpop said:
I just find it funny when things go wrong in this game people still start pointing fingers and throwing accusations. Yeah they may be right, but so what? Will it make you feel better to berate the other person over raid chat? Our MT healer screwed up, no biggie and certainly no reason to leave a raid over it.

To be fair, I've encountered quite a few situations where people don't quite realise how - or even *that* - they screwed up. They need a helpful explanation. And, well, I'll have to concede that my 'helpful explanations' aren't always that helpful in the heat of battle.

Sciz

Calantus said:
Looks like Cata isn't going to be ideal for my playstyle, if it had came out after BC i would have loved it. I just can't do 4 hour raids like i used to.
Cata raiding is exactly for people like you. The largest entry level raid has six bosses. Plus raid lockouts are a lot more flexible than they used to be, so you don't even have to have the same group over time to get through one.

Bisnic said:
Probably because its Onyxia 10, and people expect everyone to be in ICC gear & oneshotting the boss.

Even before ICC, I saw a lot of epic flameouts in Ony raids by people swearing up a storm and quitting because some people got Deep Breath'd etc. VoA are much calmer the top people just carry the inevitable scrubs, undergeared alts etc. Although one time we wiped (1st try ) and someone wanted to boot the bottom 5 DPS automatically if we fail again :lol

I only raid with my guild ICC 10, almost every ICC25 raid pug I been on ends a few bosses in at most. On the last one a holy paladin took a suck because he lost on some item while the RL ninja'd a BOE at the same time.

It's a shame as I could use some ICC25 gear, I'm only 5630 GS and I'm the lowest gear'd toon on my guild run, hard to compete in DPS. At least I got my 4pc T10 finally.

I'm glad that's changing in Cata as it pisses me and my guild off to end that 25man guilds have a gear advantage.

notworksafe

If you've got a decent amount of gold, might want to try ICC25 GDKP runs. That's a good way to get gear without having to make a raid of your own. They aren't as whiny/liable to quit as most PUGs, since everyone gets a gold reward at the end.

firex

They can get rid of GS. The new stats page lists an average item level under general stats beneath your HP/MP, which is basically what GS is anyway.

Entropia

No One Remembers
notworksafe said:
If you've got a decent amount of gold, might want to try ICC25 GDKP runs. That's a good way to get gear without having to make a raid of your own. They aren't as whiny/liable to quit as most PUGs, since everyone gets a gold reward at the end.

This. Also, they're more lenient on gearscores because they're expecting people to purchase gear throughout the run.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
speedpop said:

As the game became easier, the player base became use to it. Now everyone expects to one shot things and get free epic loot. The more players in the group, the easier it is to be carried.

Need to bring back BC, Shattered Halls!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Do people bid on items and everyone gets an equal percent of the gold?

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:

Correct.

I got ripped off in a couple runs though, so I don't really participate in them all too often. Once a decent guild was hosting a run, and I did take out a good sum of gold though, so just like other types of pugs, it's all about luck.

I also don't know why people are so gung-ho about gearing up right now. That gear you're busting hard for now is going to get replaced within two months at this point, perhaps less. I'd just level up other things that are more useful at the launch of an xpac, make sure your professions are up to date, make sure you have a decent sum of gold in your bags.

Sciz

Grabbing glyphs for your class now before there's a massive rush on them post-patch also strikes me as a good idea.

Swag

DeathNote said:

Reached Gold Cap on my Warrior doing GDKP runs, one of the most profitable things I've ever done in WoW.

Definitely recommend trying to get into a weekly group if you can.

speedpop

Sciz said:
Grabbing glyphs for your class now before there's a massive rush on them post-patch also strikes me as a good idea.
I agree with this sentiment.

edit: Actually some of them are so ridiculously overpriced that it'd probably be better to wait for when everyone wants them so that there will be competition between the sellers.

Hey gang, I need some help :/

My internet connection is flawless when it comes to browsing the web and download stuff, but as soon as I turn on WoW it gets super shitty. I went to my firewall and that didn't help. Sometimes I have to turn my wireless capability back on after I get disconnected from the server. Please help!!1

:(

Sciz

speedpop said:
I agree with this sentiment.

edit: Actually some of them are so ridiculously overpriced that it'd probably be better to wait for when everyone wants them so that there will be competition between the sellers.
I think it's more likely that the AH savvy players will buy out the low end of the price range and relist them for profit, but who knows, there might be enough supply to keep that from happening. The cheap 3-5g ones at least aren't going anywhere but up.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
any new of blizz doing more class quests? i enjoyed those the most by far in vanilla. they felt more "intimate", like it was an experience just for me.

I just went Naxx 10 with my Priest to get the "..of the Frozen Wastes" achievement and I ended up healing most of the time. Now, when we arrived at Kel'Thuzad, our second healer was killed right at the beginning of the fight (was afk when we started and got killed by an add) so I had to heal the whole encounter on my own. I'm not exactly in ICC gear, so it was really close mana-wise. The best part was in P3 of the encounter where random people are iceblock'd and lose like 105% of their life over a few seconds and I didn't let any of them die. Felt like a badass afterwards. :D

edit: at guy above me: Yeah, I'd love some new class epic quests like the ones for Hunters and Priests in Classic. I'm planning to do the Benediction quest with my Priest in the near future (need to get this one item from Majordomo Executus in MC first) because I'm guessing it won't be available in Cataclysm anymore. Also, the staff looks awesome.

notworksafe

AvidNobody said:
Uhhh yeah.
Can you forward ports on your router? I did that recently and the Blizz Downloader and WoW perform much better. WoW uses TCP port 3724 and the downloader uses 6112 and 6881-6999.

I also mostly play WoW wirelessly on my laptop.

Scrow said:
any new of blizz doing more class quests? i enjoyed those the most by far in vanilla. they felt more "intimate", like it was an experience just for me.
No more are planned and this is why. Blizz has said they want to focus on content that everyone has the potential to see, even if they only ever play one character/class.

I liked class quests too and I'm really bummed to see they are not being kept up anymore.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
close to the edge said:
edit: at guy above me: Yeah, I'd love some new class epic quests like the ones for Hunters and Priests in Classic. I'm planning to do the Benediction quest with my Priest in the near future (need to get this one item from Majordomo Executus in MC first) because I'm guessing it won't be available in Cataclysm anymore. Also, the staff looks awesome.
i also like that lvl 70 druid quest that lets you summon an extra boss in one of the dungeons. little things like that add unique value to your character.

"oh, you're doing X dungeon? I have the item that lets me summon the extra boss."

notworksafe said:
No more are planned and this is why. Blizz has said they want to focus on content that everyone has the potential to see, even if they only ever play one character/class.

I liked class quests too and I'm really bummed to see they are not being kept up anymore.
they could solve that by having other class chain quests crossover with the same sorts of instances you have to do for your class quest. each class has a different path to follow through their chain of quests, but with similar goals for each class chain quest intersecting at key moments where you need a group you use the content efficiently.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'd love class quests and whatnot. I loved doing the Dreadsteed class, ended up going back to Dire Maul a second time after my first attempt failed with me as a level 60 lock, my mate with his level 70 and also trying to control his brother's level 70 lock (who already had his steed and the stuff we needed).

And attunements! I like some attunements and stuff, i'm still pissed at the Zul'Farrak mallet.

notworksafe

Well some places still need attunements. They are all old world though. The Paladin and Warlock mount quests are fun...but Horde Paladins have it far too easy. Guess that makes up for Ony. :lol

Aesthet1c

close to the edge said:
I just went Naxx 10 with my Priest to get the "..of the Frozen Wastes" achievement and I ended up healing most of the time. Now, when we arrived at Kel'Thuzad, our second healer was killed right at the beginning of the fight (was afk when we started and got killed by an add) so I had to heal the whole encounter on my own. I'm not exactly in ICC gear, so it was really close mana-wise. The best part was in P3 of the encounter where random people are iceblock'd and lose like 105% of their life over a few seconds and I didn't let any of them die. Felt like a badass afterwards. :D

That's awesome! I had a very similar experience back when Ulduar was the highest raid, and I was only partly uld 10 geared. I was MT on KT and our off tank died, at first I thought it was a total wipe but instead I just hit challenging shout and tanked everything. It was totally my most badass feeling in WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom