• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

funkmastergeneral said:
Hahaha, Blizzard is reskinning one of the coolest and rarest mounts in the game to be the "dark phoenix"

Lazy fucks can't leave anything cool alone.

It's laughable at best anymore. Blizzard will say something like "We wanted more people to be able to enjoy this item, or so-and-so raid", and the lemmings will eat it up. This company gets away with murder due to the brainwashed fans, and due to the fact that to others it's the "best gameplay" in a MMO. The gameplay and friends are the only reasons I continue to play this game. I don't expect Blizzard to ever go out of their way for anything anymore. Their recycling, cheaping out the customers (no other way to explain it), is getting more and more out of hand.

TBH, the only reason I believe they changed the loot tables so 10/25mans are the same is because they got so lazy they didn't feel like coming up with new names for items, and it became too much trouble to them to recolor items even.

They really went to shit when they started taking what's supposed to be special and unique by their descriptions, the Tier armor sets, and making the models be the same as off pieces that fall. Like seeing a Hunter running around with the cool effect Rogue T8 shoulders. That right there was a real shit on the classes "uniqueness" in the game, a real "lol@players" moment.

They're just running on a bare-bones team right now, just getting enough content out there to keep people playing so they can make their new games. Great business model for them, sure, but shitty deal for the paying players.

I've just come to expect it now. Still gets me mad seeing it, but it's not shockingly disgusting to me anymore. Though I will admit seeing that CE pet being a reskinned whelpling/frostwyrm whelping using the same animations I was disgusted. They gave people with the SC2 CE a better WoW pet than the CE pet for the actual game. :lol

Naxx was cool because at least all the models were unique in 10/25 man as far as weapons went.

Magnus said:
Typical retarded elitist jerk responses.

Re-read what I said. I wasn't solely discussing the overall difficulty of the Lich King fight. I was talking about every aspect of the encounter: the leadup and resolution, the epic scale of the fight, the visual design, the encounter mechanics, and so much more. I personally found it tragically underwhelming.

It is indeed very common for most of these people to act that way. They do it to make themselves seem and feel better than others. Some though are still nice, and very realistic when talking about this stuff.

People saying HMLK is the real encounter don't seem to grasp that the encounter should have been epic even on normal. The defile/valk timer glitch that would happen would be the only thing that stunted people from clearing it. That doesn't happen anymore thankfully, and it just comes down to people having an acceptable latency with commonsense skill.

I mean, it's the LK, it was supposed to be the most epic raid of this xpac, and it's nothing of the sort. Even the hardmodes are just stupid in ICC. After we blitzed through a few, then got a little more gear (as they're just gear checks) and blew through some more, myself along with other guildmates just talked to each other and some said that's it, I don't feel like doing these anymore as they're not that cool, nor special. Unlike Ulduar, which was the pinnacle of raiding this xpac, where we enjoyed doing the hardmodes, we enjoyed doing HM-Mim.

The fights in ICC were just mainly blah, the coolest was doing gunship the first one or two times, as it was just fun, then became "lootship" soon after a few runs as the novelty wore off. LK should have been a little more special. But I remember reading somewhere (either online or in a mag, I have to look) basically that the remaining Blizzard "A-team" worked on Ulduar and after that basically most were shifted to development of their new MMO. And I believe it looking at ToC and LK.

My expectations for Cata are dramatically lower, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get to see the raids.

Ulduar is by far the most interesting and visually appealing instance they've done in WOTLK. Except FL, I just hate vehicles, but then again the entire Titans storyline is the most interesting aspect of WoW's lore. I can't wait for Uldum.

ICC is pretty much what you'd expect (a big Scourge base) and it does feel like Naxx. Gunship Battle is awesome though, I still like it.

notworksafe

There was weird wording in the explanation that I was confused about.
The guild rewards you guys are seeing in game are not hooked up yet. Guild rewards have 3 requirements that must be be met before you can use them. First and foremost, they must be unlocked via a guild achievement. Let's just say, that for example, you need to complete the new guild achievement "We are Legendary" in order to unlock the Dark Phoenix. That achievement requires the guild to gain access to all 6 legendary weapons currently available in the game. (note that all guild achievements start on Cataclysm launch, so anything you have now will not matter, it must be done with your guild after launch)
Does this mean that the six months I put into getting Thunderfury don't count? Will I have to get it again to get the guild achievement? I'll be pretty pissed if that's true.

notworksafe said:

Does this mean that the six months I put into getting Thunderfury don't count? Will I have to get it again to get the guild achievement? I'll be pretty pissed if that's true.

That seems to be the case. I hope the achievement isn't tied to anything especially awesome because it will take a lot of time/luck

CassSept

J-Rzez said:
Naxx was cool because at least all the models were unique in 10/25 man as far as weapons went.
These fucking weapons. Why do weapons that drop from LK all are blue and have skulls and ICC design? It makes no sense. They couldn't be arsed even to design a couple unique models, sigh.

It's quite obvious imo :p Other way a guild could just invite people with legendary weapons for a sec to complete the achievement.

I don't see a way they can make guild achievements retroactive since there's no way of knowing whether it's your guild that actually got the Thunderfury way back.

(And props to you if your guild is still around from WoW classic).

J-Rzez

CassSept said:
These fucking weapons. Why do weapons that drop from LK all are blue and have skulls and ICC design? It makes no sense. They couldn't be arsed even to design a couple unique models, sigh.

I agree. Worst part is the LK weapons shared models with lesser weapons. See Glorenzelg and the Citadel Enforcer's Claymore.

Wait until all the Cata weapons are out, and they're all made from dragon wings, tails, and skulls.

notworksafe

KernelPanic said:
I don't see a way they can make guild achievements retroactive since there's no way of knowing whether it's your guild that actually got the Thunderfury way back.

(And props to you if your guild is still around from WoW classic).
Well I do have a feat of strength from it, fwiw. And I actually got Tfury just a few months ago, but thanks anyway! :lol

Though with that achievement requiring 6 legendaries, I guess Blizzard is confirming that Ragnaros is still going to be in MC (since he's needed for two of the six weapons).

Fularu

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Agreed about the weapons. It was a pretty big disappointment to replace my Frost Giants Cleaver with a Havoc's Call only to see they looked exactly the same.
Blame having to maintain two raid lockouts with different drops.

This will disapear in Cataclysm with 10 and 25 man sharing the same gear.

Heroic items will be recolored obviously.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
Wait until all the Cata weapons are out, and they're all made from dragon wings, tails, and skulls.

And it'll be glorious. Ashkandi is still one of the coolest models in the game.

yacobod

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
And it'll be glorious. Ashkandi is still one of the coolest models in the game.

naw the best looking sword in that dungeon was the untamed blade, while asscandy had a kickass hilt, the sword looked like a fucking paddle, meanwhile TUB was 100% win, and back in the day with WF + Crusader + TUB proc it was like a potential 1 shot roaming around battlegrounds, so much fun back then

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
BAAAAAAAW
Come on now...barebones team? Perhaps so, but it's a barebones team that is redesigning the entire Vanilla world. That's pretty impressive, I think. I also think that combining 10 and 25 man raids is long overdue. No matter what any hardcore neckbeard says, 25s don't have any harder gameplay. Just 15 extra mouthbreathers who stand in the fire.

And if Gunship was really the only fight you found to be interesting...wow. Gunship is really cool, but Putricide as an Abom tank also is a really awesome experience. I'm also a fan of Princes, Blood Queen, Sindi and LK. The only one I found to be disappointing was Rotface/Festergut on Heroic. The H mode really didn't add anything cool, but I'm not sure what they could have added to those fights. They were essentially just DPS checks anyway.

Meier

Not playing for nearly a month feels like an eternity.. I got so bored when waiting for a group yesterday and it was too late to try and run ICC. I wonder if this will put me off the game until Cataclysm.

Fularu said:
His post reads like a giant troll, you should know by now :p

It may be, but I've felt for a while that Blizzard seems largely out of new ideas for WoW.

I mean seriously, what can they possibly add to WoW that they haven't already done ?

What kind of raid mechanics can they add that aren't a variation of an existing raid ?

How many more new designs for armor, weapons etc. can they possibly do that are unique ?

idlewild_

IIRC GC confirmed a few weeks ago that the vast majority of the team, including the tech/design/etc. leads, have not been moved to the new MMO.

KernelPanic said:
It may be, but I've felt for a while that Blizzard seems largely out of new ideas for WoW.

I mean seriously, what can they possibly add to WoW that they haven't already done ?

What kind of raid mechanics can they add that aren't a variation of an existing raid ?

How many more new designs for armor, weapons etc. can they possibly do that are unique ?

Well, that is why their designers are the best and we're just consumers. They'll come up with something.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
KernelPanic said:

There are a billion things they could do. How about legendary weapons, for instance? LotRO does it and it's fucking rad, I see no reason why WoW can't. And by legendary weapons I don't mean oranges, I mean weapons that you can name, level up, and customize. Weapons you can work on after you hit the level cap and can tweak to your play style, weapons that stay with you and you build a fondness for, you do epic quest lines to unlock new attributes for them, they have achievements associated with them, they're something that are unique to you.

And that's just one idea. It's a system LotRO does very well (and it gives you a ton of stuff to work on at endgame) but has room for improvement. If Blizzard put their mind to it they could really knock it out of the park.

J-Rzez

Fularu said:
His post reads like a giant troll, you should know by now :p

Still trolling me after all this time? Listen I add real concerns and comments on things I wish they'd address. When I'm happy with something, I say I am and will give it praise. When something isn't up to what I think should be par, I will discuss it here with others. I have discussed the state of the game nicely with others. I have helped others with their specs, encounters, guilds, etc.

I have you on ignore, but I see your comments at times when you're quoted, and rarely agreed with.

Go troll some more people, with your elitist attitude such as attacking someone saying "lol, LK on normal, yeah you have no room to talk". We know your type of person already, you made that clear when you blatantly attacked my player skill, and my guild calling us trash, when we're the best 10-man guild on our server, and you have never-ever saw me play. You post like an elitist troll who resorts to attacks used on the cesspool that is the official wow forums. You don't impress anyone here. In fact, there are people here who are just as "accomplished" as you and your guild, and they post humbly, something you can learn from them. Your attacks are not "joking" or "lighthearted poking", they're trolling attacks.

notworksafe said:
Come on now...barebones team? Perhaps so, but it's a barebones team that is redesigning the entire Vanilla world. That's pretty impressive, I think. I also think that combining 10 and 25 man raids is long overdue. No matter what any hardcore neckbeard says, 25s don't have any harder gameplay. Just 15 extra mouthbreathers who stand in the fire.

And if Gunship was really the only fight you found to be interesting...wow. Gunship is really cool, but Putricide as an Abom tank also is a really awesome experience. I'm also a fan of Princes, Blood Queen, Sindi and LK. The only one I found to be disappointing was Rotface/Festergut on Heroic. The H mode really didn't add anything cool, but I'm not sure what they could have added to those fights. They were essentially just DPS checks anyway.

Well to each their own on their views. And yes, Gunship was fun for me, the rest really didn't stand out to me at all. I found Ulduar as a whole to be more enjoyable, the fights, the art, the hardmodes. I want, and I'm sure others here want more Ulduar quality experiences that help define and make WoW the success it has become. ICC wasn't "bad", I just don't think it lived up to the climax of an entire expansion which was based off of it.

We'll see how their fragmented raids work in Cata. It may make things feel more fresh overall too, instead of being burnt out in a single zone that happens now to me, which will be great.

idlewild_ said:
IIRC GC confirmed a few weeks ago that the vast majority of the team, including the tech/design/etc. leads, have not been moved to the new MMO.

There was a post a while back where it may have even been Morhaime in an interview stated that the "core designers" have moved onto their next-gen MMO. This was shortly after or around Ulduar. He said that they were starting to ramp up it's design and such. I'll have to look for it, unless someone else remembers it and says where it's from. I assumed it was true as content from there forward wasn't as polished, nor as "epic" to me.

For one example, iirc, didn't Kaplan leave to work on their new MMO?

Alex

I felt Wrath was a sizeable dip in actual content compared to BC, although the game structure was much, much better.

Cataclysm looks to be the best of the best, to me, I'm really impressed with all of the work being done. Throwing a wailing shitfit over some reused assets in an MMO of all things doesn't exactly make a very poignant discussion.

Also, don't put a dude on ignore then write discussions involving him, what the hell. That just looks so petty, like his opinion offends you to the point of ragedowns but you still have to get the last word?

Fularu

Banned
J-Rzez said:
ramblings
There's so much idiocy in this post that I don't even know where to start :lol

If I wanted to troll you, I'd destroy every single feeble post of yours, but since they'Re just filled with whinny comments, I mostly ignore them

We got it, you hate playing, go play something else

Also, just for your own information, I never linked parses, I never linked my guild's name, I never spoke of our kill and I never boasted about our achievements. On the other hand, I can spot a bad (mentality wise) player just by reading him. You may know how to "push" your buttons (after all, it's a prety easy game to master), but you obviously lack in other aeras ;)

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
There was a post a while back where it may have even been Morhaime in an interview stated that the "core designers" have moved onto their next-gen MMO. This was shortly after or around Ulduar. He said that they were starting to ramp up it's design and such. I'll have to look for it, unless someone else remembers it and says where it's from. I assumed it was true as content from there forward wasn't as polished, nor as "epic" to me.

For one example, iirc, didn't Kaplan leave to work on their new MMO?
Yeah I think Tigole and Pardo are on the new MMO, but to be fair I don't really care. I think once the basic systems have been set up there wasn't a need for them to stick around. They were just the guys helping set up the basic systems because of their experience with high end EQ play, I believe. I do like that Tigole got hired because he was an awesome EQ player and ran Pardo's guild after he left the game. :lol

The guys running WoW now (J Allan Brack and Tom Chilton) have been there almost from the beginning as well. Heck, Tom Chilton was one of the three designers (the other two being Kaplan and Pardo) that were there at the start. Brack has been working on WoW since 2005, so he's been there for almost the whole time. So don't think the people in charge of WoW right now are some fresh/clueless guys.

Fularu said:
I never linked my guild's name, I never spoke of our kill and I never boasted about our achievements.
I've done all of these things before... :(

Flib

I have no problem with them reskinning vanity pets and mounts when they're going through and rebuilding the entire game from the ground up, along with additional content.

Wrath shipped with about 1000 new quests, Cataclysm is shipping with 3000 new quests. I hardly call that shortchanging their subscribers.

Rapstah

So I'm levelling my Warlock to 80 and had a look at the tier sets while in Dalaran. The ilvl 226 set is basically Putricide's full set with a bad ass smoke coming out of... everywhere. The ilvl 245 set, which I'll obviously be getting, is identical to the priest 245 sets. What?! I'd rather have a recolour of the 226 set! At least the Frost set looks decent, but fuck getting that amount of emblems.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Rapstah said:
So I'm levelling my Warlock to 80 and had a look at the tier sets while in Dalaran. The ilvl 226 set is basically Putricide's full set with a bad ass smoke coming out of... everywhere. The ilvl 245 set, which I'll obviously be getting, is identical to the priest 245 sets. What?! I'd rather have a recolour of the 226 set! At least the Frost set looks decent, but fuck getting that amount of emblems.

Blizzard got lazy when designing the T9 set. While you could argue they made different set for both Alliance & Horde, all the mages, priests & warlocks on your side were wearing the same sets except recolored. And all the dks, paladin & warrriors were using the same sets, and so on for the leather & mail classes. It wasn't very fun.

Ashodin

Even if I did gunship 200 times, I would still think it's cool. Something about the Horde vs. Alliance being reinforced there makes it awesome.

Bisnic said:
Blizzard got lazy when designing the T9 set. While you could argue they made different set for both Alliance & Horde, all the mages, priests & warlocks on your side were wearing the same sets except recolored. And all the dks, paladin & warrriors were using the same sets, and so on for the leather & mail classes. It wasn't very fun.
Yeah. and nothing would annoy me more than listening to people try and justify it with arguments like, "well we're kind of in an army now, so the gear is gonna have a generic look to it, like wearing uniforms." I hated hearing that.

Rapstah

notworksafe said:
http://www.tukui.org/v2/tukui/

It's very minimalistic and quite attractive, but the catch is any changes to it must be done in LUA. There are plenty of tutorials on the forums so it's not too hard to pick up.
Before I consider downloading this, are action bars integrated or separate? I really like my current bars and would keep them in case of downloading that.

EDIT: Looks like they're integrated, but there's a great tutorial for changing them to exactly how I like them... I wonder if my key bindings will stick.

yacobod

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Even if I did gunship 200 times, I would still think it's cool. Something about the Horde vs. Alliance being reinforced there makes it awesome.

gunship was a novelty fight that lost its luster after 2 pulls

FLEABttn

Banned
Bisnic said:

Worst looking tier in the entire game? I'd say so. Mail classes looked especially awfully.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Bisnic said:
Deputy Moonman said:
Yeah. and nothing would annoy me more than listening to people try and justify it with arguments like, "well we're kind of in an army now, so the gear is gonna have a generic look to it, like wearing uniforms." I hated hearing that.

Plate, Mail, Leather, Cloth, all different sets. x2 for Horde + Alliance = 8 sets with some minor texture changes between classes.

Normally 10 sets.

Yes, they got soooo lazy, they only made 2 less sets than normal. :|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
LAUGHTREY said:
Plate, Mail, Leather, Cloth, all different sets. x2 for Horde + Alliance = 8 sets with some minor texture changes between classes.

Normally 10 sets.

Yes, they got soooo lazy, they only made 2 less sets than normal. :|

It doesn't change the fact that when you did instances with your own faction, you could only see 4 sets instead of 10. It was just a bad decision and its why they didn't do the same thing with T10 thankfully.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Blizzard has production problems. They either have the laziest artists in the industry or they have severe structural issues concerning how they get stuff made and shipped. Maybe they have too many layers of management and it's clogging up the works, I'm not sure but considering how large their team should be they do not put out nearly enough content. It only gets worse when you hear Ghostcrawler or someone whine about how hard it is to make new content and do these things. I have 3DS Max, I've worked on 3D models for mods and projects before and I can make shit faster than these guys it seems, and it's not even my job. Re-coloring stuff is the height of pitifulness, anyone in this thread could spend a couple hours in photoshop and get the same results, I mean it is extraordinarily easy to re-color or even re-skin models. Anyone who has ever touched photoshop knows what a joke it is when they complain about how long it takes to do these things. If they really have moved most of the artists over to their new MMO or other projects, I have to wonder why? I understand people get bored with projects and want to work on something new, but hire more people. You're running the most profitable game in history and there are more than enough good artists out their looking for work. They're either intentionally cutting the game's staff short to maximize profits or they there is something seriously wrong with the games production over there.

Fularu said:
There's so much idiocy in this post that I don't even know where to start :lol

If I wanted to troll you, I'd destroy every single feeble post of yours, but since they'Re just filled with whinny comments, I mostly ignore them

We got it, you hate playing, go play something else

Also, just for your own information, I never linked parses, I never linked my guild's name, I never spoke of our kill and I never boasted about our achievements. On the other hand, I can spot a bad (mentality wise) player just by reading him. You may know how to "push" your buttons (after all, it's a prety easy game to master), but you obviously lack in other aeras ;)

God you two are boring, enough with the foreplay already and just get to the angry mansex.

Bisnic said:
It doesn't change the fact that when you did instances with your own faction, you could only see 4 sets instead of 10. It was just a bad decision and its why they didn't do the same thing with T10 thankfully.

I thought the point was this was our Alliance/Horde military uniforms? I don't see how that's lazy, sounds like a design decision to me.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Evlar said:
:lol

Yeah. Blizzard is full of talentless hacks and lazy bums. Sure.

I spent most of my post hypothesizing about reasons other than those two to explain the small content drip. But I guess it's more fun to generalize.

Evlar

Banned
Spire said:
I spent most of my post hypothesizing about reasons other than those two to explain the small content drip. But I guess it's more fun to generalize.
:lol I'm sorry. You literally just said you could outdesign Blizzard.

Spire said:

Now, I've never played an MMO outside of this game...but from what I understand, the content patches that Blizzard puts out for "free", mind you, is the same amount of content other companies do with expansions. If you ask me, Burning Crusade had the most resused assets of all the expansion. Every other piece of gear was recolored tier 1 or 2 it seemed. And that is probably because the majority of time was creating the new zones and raids.

I don't get why people complain so much (You're just hypothesizing, I know...just pointing out complaints from others not just on GAF) yet play the game so religiously. I think the release of ICC to Cata is the biggest drought of content we've had, is it not?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Evlar said:
:lol I'm sorry. You literally just said you could outdesign Blizzard.

I never said I could outdesign them (I also never said they were talentless hacks, or even brought up talent at all), I said given my experience with 3DS, Maya, and Photoshop I don't understand why it takes them so long to produce this stuff, and then gave some other theories as to why that might be. Given what I've seen the mod community do and other MMO developers do, it'd say it's a fair question to ask why Blizzard takes so long.

Retro

Well, I see this new thread is already off to a great start.:lol

Gotta love the pre-expansion content lulls. Everybody is just full of perk and so enthralled with the prospects of awesome new things to see and do... in 3-6 months. But hey, we can still enjoy farming content for gear that will be obsolete two weeks after the new content hits, right?

Yeah, I'll behave now.

Alex

I wish Blizzard would flex their dollar a little more when it came to certain art aspects (though it's probably not theirs to spend at will), so in a way I agree, but at the same time, they wildly out content all the competition and that carries over to gear as well.

Also, point me to the post where Ghostcrawler says it's hard to recolor items. This is the type of WoW forum-esque out of context drivel that's going to get you laughed at and disregarded here.

I remember that quote, and he was speaking of the immense amount of Cataclysm art assets and them having a hard time allocating staff to everything, especially when they try to keep limited staff for certain areas as to preserve the look and feel.

While I condemn them, yet again, for not redoing the original eight races, the sheer amount of design and content being injected in one with mere expansion is still mind boggling. They're always such a huge event than the "Five terrible classes! Five unfinished zones! Two unfinished dungeons! TWEAK NOTHING ELSE. SHIP IT AND STAGGER IT'S RELEASE" that I'm still used to outside of this title. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom