• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

I actually hope this starts a trend, if a game is a broken ass mess, get a refund. Rocksteady did it with Arkham Knight for PC. Look at Just Cause 3 players, they can't play the game because the performance gets worse after each patch, they should start asking for refunds en masse too.

People can return kitchen electronics, sporting equipment and a whole lot of other shit if they break or don't perform as well after 50 hours, what makes nerdy video games special?

People saying you can't watch a movie and then demand a refund, well you can, I did. Walked out halfway through Transformers 2 and got a refund from the counter. Getting a refund because you don't like something is a fairly common that many companies use.

Kyoufu did nothing wrong in exercising his consumer rights.

Can't believe the fanboy corporate apologist crap in this thread.

Agreed, why are games any different?

But you just quoted my post where I agreed that users will abuse the system... I'm a father too if that helps but I still read the posts. Also calm down with the swearing please. There is no need for that. I was simply trying to say that some of your posts seemed aimed at other people. I don't have my wires crossed and I hope you try and understand the situation.

You're absolutely wrong about me. 100%

I wasn't indicating that any one person in this thread is wrong for wanting a refund. Of course people who abuse the system won't come forward.

"Dur hur, I like the game and played for 112 hours, but gee whiz, think I want a refund."

Who the hell is going to admit to wanting a refund after actively playing and enjoying the game.

I just said, those people KNOW who they are.

People refunding for a broken product and experience are well within their right.

Jobbs

Banned
Did you get a refund? I guess it seemed like a bit much in light in a thread where people are relatively happy getting refunds. Like, you are now getting your back on HG!

I'm not downplaying the utterly misleading marketing.

Not yet. Working on it. I only played about 5 hours the first night. I was very bored, and started to suspect in that time that I'd kinda experienced what the game has to offer (go shoot rocks on differently colored planets).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Crazy that so many are feeling blatantly ripped off. My initial impressions way back when this was first shown was that it looked boring as hell and certainly wasn't my cup of tea gameplay wise.

But all the relentless hype kinda forced me to think for people who are interested in exploration and an 'infinite' amount of gameplay variations this would be some kind landmark release for this gen.

What a colossal fucking disaster.

Venom Fox

Banned

I wasn't indicating that any one person in this thread is wrong for wanting a refund. Of course people who abuse the system won't come forward.

"Dur hur, I like the game and played for 112 hours, but gee whiz, think I want a refund."

Who the hell is going to admit to wanting a refund after actively playing and enjoying the game.

People refunding for a broken product and experience are well within their right.
If that what you think then I apologise but I responded with an edited pistol on the last page outlining where my point came from. I feel the edited post explains my feelings adequately and I hope you can see where my posts were coming from.

Your absolutely correct that people will abuse the system and it's something I've agreed with you on. Those people are horrible if they've not had a genuine issue with the game. Even so we will will never know of they did or didn't.

I put in for a refund last night and got one. Total time played was just over 3 hours. Took them about an hour to approve the refund.

The funds are currently pending in my Steam wallet.

chilly.jpg~original

joshlpaige

Neo Member
I have had a string of bad crashes and a loss of items due to clipping through planet surfaces. The rep on the PSN Live Chat said, "You've played 5%, so you may not get a refund."

I guess I'll keep trying?

I just finished chatting with a different agent and he refunded the money back into my account. If you feel like you aren't happy with what you've purchased, please don't take the first no as law.

On one hand, there are people who are going to take the refund because they were legit disappointed by the game and people who are going to take the refund because they can, despite being okay with the game as it was. The latter group is kinda shitty, regardless of how much time they put in, but depriving the former of the ability to get their money back just to keep the latter form exploiting that ability is even shittier.

Beyond that, I think time invested becomes irrelevant if the game flat-out doesn't have major features it was advertised as having. This isn't like other cases of post-release backlash such as AC Unity, Mass Effect 3, Arkham Asylum PC, or even Colonial Marines, where the content/features that were promised existed, just in a shittier form than people hoped/were lead to believe. This is like if Unity talked about the co-op multiplayer piece pre-release but never actually put it in the game, or if Mass Effect 3 faded to black and went "LOL THAT'S THE END BYE" when you landed on Earth for the final battle (which would maybe have been an upgrade but still you get what I mean.) Blatant false advertising is blatant false advertising, regardless of how much people liked the product that was delivered, and laws are pretty clear about how that can be punished. Not surprising that at least Sony/Steam (maybe also Hello Games?) are covering their asses by just letting whoever wants a refund get a refund.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member

No one because it's a bad game. Anyone who says they are "OK" with the fact that they paid $60 for this game is clearly delusional. Literally lost in "La La Land" in their heads.

I do agree with the refund me because I am mad at hello games or I am bored people as abusing the system. The issue with this situation is there are extreme deniers of issues and extreme haters of the entire situation with almost no middle ground. I knew what I was getting into with NMS I understood that I had to go in knowing the game might be shallow and simple but it also might be epic.

I loved Spore and that was a hot mess.

People coming down on the poster with 50 hours played and getting a refund need to read his posts tgrou9tge thread before getting pitchforks and torches. People coming into this thread to shit on NMS just because need to read about why the majority are refunding and not jump on the refund bandwagon just to spite a company.

Also it is telling that Sony is offering digital refunds of this game. I sincerely believe if they feel the need to back down on the no digital refund policy then they also agree there is an issue.

Veggy

I put in for a refund last night and got one. Total time played was just over 3 hours. Took them about an hour to approve the refund.

The funds are currently pending in my Steam wallet.

chilly.jpg~original

lol my ticket has been open for almost 15 hours and still no reply

The UK struggle is real

Ambient80

On one hand, there are people who are going to take the refund because they were legit disappointed by the game and people who are going to take the refund because they can, despite being okay with the game as it was. The latter group is kinda shitty, regardless of how much time they put in, but depriving the former of the ability to get their money back just to keep the latter form exploiting that ability is even shittier.

Beyond that, I think time invested becomes irrelevant if the game flat-out doesn't have major features it was advertised as having. This isn't like other cases of post-release backlash such as AC Unity, Mass Effect 3, Arkham Asylum PC, or even Colonial Marines, where the content/features that were promised existed, just in a shittier form than people hoped/were lead to believe. This is like if Unity talked about the co-op multiplayer piece pre-release but never actually put it in the game, or if Mass Effect 3 faded to black and went "LOL THAT'S THE END BYE" when you landed on Earth for the final battle (which would maybe have been an upgrade but still you get what I mean.) Blatant false advertising is blatant false advertising, regardless of how much people liked the product that was delivered, and laws are pretty clear about how that can be punished. Not surprising that at least Sony/Steam (maybe also Hello Games?) are covering their asses by just letting whoever wants a refund get a refund.

Lol, savage but true

sazzy

I'm conflicted. I agree you should get a refund because the game is fundamentally broken but on the other had you've had 50 hours of play time on the clock. You've had your moneys worth.

why are you so conflicted over someone else's game, or decide for them if they've had their moneys worth?

it seems as of you're enjoying the game. is anyone forcing you to return it and get a refund?

rockyt

I find it funny that only in the game industry where consumers buy games that where promises not delivered, released in broken state, incomplete, and with features and services scaled back would call their consumers thieves. In any other industry and retails details if a product failed to work as advertise after 50hrs say for example TVs,Dvd,Phones, and so on with the expectation of many more hours. Most retail and industry don't tell you you got your money worth. They say you got a DEFECTIVE product. They refund, exchange, or he'll even pay to fix it for free. Only in gaming industry where product fail to deliver and become unplayable ie broken after a set amount of hours and consumer want answers or their money back they are call thieves.

Santiako

The price has dropped and will continue dropping. There's thousands of copies in our systems now. Our shop is over run with them.

Get in there fast or do what he said above :)
I traded it in a couple of days ago when the buy price was still 36 pounds. I told the guy at the counter 'I bet you've been getting this one a lot' and he told me 'too many, it's gonna drop like a rock' lol. I got in just in time.

Venom Fox

Banned
I traded it in a couple of days ago when the buy price was still 36 pounds. I told the guy at the counter 'I bet you've been getting this one a lot' and he told me 'too many, it's gonna drop like a rock' lol. I got in just in time.
Haha we are swamped with them atm. It seems it'll be a Fifa situation where we can't get rid of them lol. Price will absolutely plummet soon.

7threst

That Shahid-guy isn't doing Hello Games a service by being so vocal on Twitter about NMS and people complaining about it (and brushing them off with an air of arrogance). I wonder if we'll ever get an official statement about this whole mess from Hello themselves/

koji kabuto

What cluster of fuck this thing turned to be.

1- Sony-Steam-GOG- Amazon etc should just pull the game down and not sell any more copies.
2- All the E3 media and trailers should be removed from steam/psn because it's a big part of the problem.
3-HelloGames to patch the shit out of this Alpha/early access game and at least stop the crashes.
4- Adjust the price to $19.99 than put it back on steam /psn etc

Edit :I could just ad an official apology from HelloGames and explanation of What fuck happened ?

Venom Fox

Banned

1- Sony-Steam-GOG- Amazon etc should just pull the game down and not sell any more copies.
2- All the E3 media and trailers should be removed from steam/psn because it's a big part of the problem.
3-HelloGames to patch the shit out of this Alpha/early access game and at least stop the crashes.
That's what I'm feeling. It should be pulled, fixed and put back on with a lower price tag as a gesture of good will.

You forgot number 5
Ban Sean Murray to an intergalactic prison for fake advertising

This should have been done within the first week. What a mess.

Chobel

That Shahid-guy isn't doing Hello Games a service by being so vocal on Twitter about NMS and people complaining about it (and brushing them off with an air of arrogance). I wonder if we'll ever get an official statement about this whole mess from Hello themselves/

Soon™

As I bought it physical I was going to trade it in but Game are only offering £18 and at that price I might as well wait for updates.

Dude you can get a refund from Game, I walked in and got one. Check their website they accept refunds and the game doesn't have to be sealed you just need the original receipt. They will argue that they can only take sealed, but just show them the statement off their own website. Don't settle for trade in, get your money back.

Ridley327

I get Shahid's emotional investment in NMS is a lot stronger than even its most spirited supporters can muster up, but calling people thieves for having truly legitimate reasons for requesting a refund and trying to hide behind the whole "but it's art!!!" excuse is way out of line. People bought a product that you can find just as easily as copies of Madden 17, not a one-of-a-kind Van Gogh.

This is all exceptionally on-point and fair. As someone who has enjoyed the game for what it is (a pretty walking simulator), even I can wholeheartedly agree with this.

No one because it's a bad game. Anyone who says they are "OK" with the fact that they paid $60 for this game is clearly delusional. Literally lost in "La La Land" in their heads.

So subjective opinions are worth absolutely sweet fuck all and have nothing to do with it? People aren't allowed to enjoy what they paid for now?

giphy.gif

lt519

OT: regardless of this particular situation, Amazon runs a spectacular customer service.

They do, no questions asked, refund given back with a simple "The game crashed and hard locked my PS4." Never tried to get a refund on a game before through them I wonder if they just do this on the regular anyway.

In the end it does bother me because Amazon takes the loss? But at least Hello Games at some point will be forced to buy back. In any event I shouldn't have to pay for something that doesn't work and I'll just end up buying a game from a more deserving dev.

Assanova

Do Amazon have a mechanism for revoking your access to a game on PSN once they issue you a refund?

No idea, but I never played the game anyway. I played for a couple of hours on the first planet and decided to wait until more content was patched in before continuing. Had Hello Games or Sony announced anything, I still would have continued to patiently wait, but after seeing all of the bug issues in this thread and still the complete silence, I decided to refund the game based on principle.

Anyone who is considering buying No Man's Sky should just buy Ori And The Blind Forest three times instead and spread some cheer.
yes

The silence is deafening. It's the shit cherry on top.

and yes. Might I recommend Starbound for those of you still looking for a way to scratch the exploration itch? Or Elite: Dangerous if you don't mind a slightly slower game with the best combat in the genre. Support good games that deliver on their promises and remain transparent. Don't support thieving companies who refuse to even features they allowed gamers to *think* were coming as late as days before launch.

I still can't believe these sommbitches haven't said anything. How did they think it was okay to just not address any of this? If they had said, "sorry guys, we're working hard on xyz features and we expect them to be in an upcoming patch. Hang tight and enjoy NMS until then! It's gunna b awesomezooors!" there would be no refunds going on because people would have stayed patient, by and large. Instead, the respect, integrity and trust people gave them has been forever lost, like the ending of the game. I just hope this doesn't sour people on indies.

and lol @ the apologists using 50 hours as a straw man and hill to die upon.

Edit :I could just ad an official apology from HelloGames and explanation of What fuck happened ?

Some of this could happen. I believe Arkham City was pulled for PC like a week or two after launch when the bugs were too much to be acceptable. Taking people's money like this and NOT issuing some sort of statement of clarification is not acceptable and cannot be. Sony, Valve or whomever needs to become a proper advocate for the customers and demand answers.

Top Bottom