• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

rockyt

This reminds me of a game I bought years back. I invested almost 20hrs into the game. On a certain lvl near the end the game kept crashing. I tried over and over to get pass the one spot so I could complete the game. O I think i must've invested another 5hrs trying that. Finally had enough. Tried to get answers from the developer. They couldn't answer at the time. I tried to get a refund at the store I bought and of course no luck since i spent so many hrs on it even after explaining things. Tried to get a replacement or refund with the developer even after the explanation as well. Their reply was basically I got my money worth. At that point I was so angry that I stop buying games from them. To this date I will not purchase any product from them. They prettt pretty much lost a customer.

Jimrpg

$60 is a lot of money, especially a digital game that you can't even sell or trade in.

I'm glad people are getting their money back for something they don't want. It seems like most people who are returning it don't like it anyway.

liquidtmd

Banned
I wonder if we'll ever get an official statement about this whole mess from Hello themselves/

'We lied about multiplayer. We deliberately didnt say about a shitload of stuff that we'd planned to get in but couldn't in the final product or actually though 'Meh too hard'. We got in over our heads when Sony came on board and we were aware it was buggy as shit out the gate but after previous delays we had no choice but to ship. We had great first day sales but now we're seeing refunds on an unprecedented scale, a combination of genuine returns on the broken basis and others just plain disappointed in the product but are justifying it in that...well it's broken for many many people.

We refuse to take down the e3 trailer and their are years of interviews that dont tally with the final game out there. Our image is in the toilet and chance of future collaboration with Sony minimal. We are now in an impossible Catch 22 of dedicating months and months of patching breaking bugs and adding features whilst more refunds bleed us and word of mouth kills us anyway, or walk away to dedicate resources on a new project only for this shitstorm to shadow us for years to come'.

Yeeeaah a statement isn't happening. I do have sympathy for Hello Games as people working a job, but things snowballed - the time for a statement addressing the games limitations was about six months ago.

Steam just refunded for me but I only had 3hr 30min of playtime. I just went to https://help.steampowered.com/en/ and picked No Man's Sky - Gameplay or technical issue - The game crashes while I am playing it. I had constant crashes every 15-30mins. When the game wasn't crashing it worked fine however for me but I felt it did not meet what was advertised. I may come back to it later.

There is a 30 day money back guarantee on GOG.

Somebody reply back if you gotten a refund from GOG.

They make exceptions even if it's more than 30 days, so contact their support and they will respond.

You can also get refunds if you ordered from Humble Bundle

Gamezone

Gold Member
That Shahid-guy isn't doing Hello Games a service by being so vocal on Twitter about NMS and people complaining about it (and brushing them off with an air of arrogance). I wonder if we'll ever get an official statement about this whole mess from Hello themselves/

Probably not. I wouldn't me surprised if Hello Games and Sean Murray never do another interview.

The vitriol is getting crazy. As someone who enjoys the game I can see why someone can be turned off or be disappointed in the final release but the venomous personal attacks people are making are beyond the pale. There are countless reasons why these refunds are valid but what I can't get behind is the belief there was/is malicious intent by Hello Games.

The lack of faith and empathy for other human beings is disconcerting.

commedieu

Banned
No because for some reason I feel like I have to defend myself. I don't even know why.

But I really want to just step away because to me, being refunded for a broken product is a no-brainer and it boggles my mind that I'm being called a thief for doing this.

People online are assholes. And if they can get a rally to shame someone, they will.

All of them are acting like you're taking money out of their pockets. No it's apparently a shit game that broke for you, and for others it's just a shit game.

Hope this makes devs wary of shipping lies next time.

Castef

Banned
Another indie dev on Twitter:
"lol if you can spend 50 hours in a game, it’s not broken"

And they are developers.

This scares me a bit.

Chev

The vitriol is getting crazy. As someone who enjoys the game I can see why someone can be turned off or be disappointed in the final release but the venomous personal attacks people are making are beyond the pale. There are countless reasons why these refunds are valid but what I can't get behind is the belief there was/is malicious intent by Hello Games.

Same here, I'm having a blast and getting the impression people are playing a different game.

Landford

Banned
The cynical in me believes that the only way well get a word from Hello is if the refunds get too massive (The way they are snowballing now) and they say something to prevent their sales hemorraging. Its really, really sad to entertain the thought that they really planned to get away with this and pretend nothing happened.

this hogwash post could easily be applied to any other product laden in false-advertising. corporate ball polishing is gross

intent is irrelevant when there are outright lies to get consumers to buy a product. "oh but steve in audio just had a baby and needs the money" and "greg in management is a nice guy who gives to charity" are absolutely irrelevant. at the end of the day, consumers were sold a product that is not what was advertised and were misled by the creators for extra sales, period

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

And they are developers.

This scares me a bit.

Some developers are completely out of touch. Some. Thankfully, they are starting to expose themselves.

tekrapid

Neo Member
I purchased it on the 12th, had a few crashes then on the 14th it locked my system and killed the hard drive, lost all my save data for everything. Hundreds of hours gone from Bloodborne and Witcher 3.
Had about 12 hours in it. Been trying to get a refund out of sony for two weeks in the UK. Called trading standards and sony support by email and phone a dozen times, same old excuses of policy bullshit. Finally had to contact my bank last friday to start the chargeback progress. Fuck Hello Games. Fuck Sony and fuck anyone who defends them for this shit.

Venom Fox

Banned
I purchased it on the 12th, had a few crashes then on the 14th it locked my system and killed the hard drive, lost all my save data for everything. Hundreds of hours gone from Bloodborne and Witcher 3.
Had about 12 hours in it. Been trying to get a refund out of sony for two weeks in the UK. Called trading standards and sony support by email and phone a dozen times, same old excuses of policy bullshit. Finally had to contact my bank last friday to start the chargeback progress. Fuck Hello Games. Fuck Sony and fuck anyone who defends them for this shit.
Did you tell them it's the law and link them to the Consumer Rights Act 2015? If any content digital or physical is broken you have a right to a refund within 30 days.

They literally cannot break the law. Make sure you keep phone records and email dates and times as evidence and take that shit to citizens advice.

PSN reps using trophies to determine how much you've played is really dumb. By that metric games that bombard you with meaningless trophies in the first hour will be more difficult to refund.

Maybe not by Hello Games as a whole but Sean Murray made himself the face of the company and he lied through his teeth long enough it can't be seen as anything but malicious in nature.

drunkenbaker

Neo Member
The price has dropped and will continue dropping. There's thousands of copies in our systems now. Our shop is over run with them.

Get in there fast or do what he said above :)

Just had a look on the CEX website. They have nearly 4000 copies available and most stores have more than 4 on the shelves, which isn't all that common for a game that's only a few weeks old.

I was in my local earlier and they had at least 10 boxes on display. The Witcher 3 has been out for over a year and they've only got around 3000 of them in stock, and even short, linear games like The Order and Quantum break are just edging past the 1000 copies mark.

It feels like the game hasn't quite captured the general public's imagination all that much, probably not helped by the £50 price tag.

tekrapid

Neo Member
Did you tell them it's the law and link them to the Consumer Rights Act 2015? If any content digital or physical is broken you have a right to a refund within 30 days.
Yep tried everything. Filed a case with trading standards and finally had to go through my bank. Sony are shit to deal with. Will never buy anything digitally from them again after this.

Venom Fox

Banned
Just had a look on the CEX website. They have nearly 4000 copies available and most stores have more than 4 on the shelves, which isn't all that common for a game that's only a few weeks old.

I was in my local earlier and they had at least 10 boxes on display. The Witcher 3 has been out for over a year and they've only got around 3000 of them in stock, and even short, linear games like The Order and Quantum break are just edging past the 1000 copies mark.

It feels like the game hasn't quite captured the general public's imagination all that much, probably not helped by the £50 price tag.
Yeah plus the amount on the website differs from the actual physical copies as some stores dont sell all copies online. Meaning a shit ton has to be sold in store.

I think my store has about 20 copies now. We are running out of space and will probably have to transfer them to another store lol.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Yep tried everything. Filed a case with trading standards and finally had to go through my bank. Sony are shit to deal with. Will never buy anything digitally from them again after this.

Wait you got your bank to get the money back from Sony? This way Sony will probably close your PSN account.

If I understood your post wrong, nevermind!

Venom Fox

Banned
What? They're just ignoring the fact that it's the law? Wtf? Also contact BBC watchdogs. They have dealt with Sony a few times and are always hard on them and have 100% success at getting refunds for people.

tekrapid

Neo Member
Wait you got your bank to get the money back from Sony? This way Sony will close your PSN account.

If I understood your post wrong, nevermind!
No thats true they will ban the account but after all this i seriously couldn't care any less. They've shown themselves to be a crap company to deal with. And to make it worse this was the first time i've asked for a refund since i joined psn in january 2009.

tekrapid

Neo Member
What? They're just ignoring the fact that it's the law? Wtf? Also contact BBC watchdogs. They have dealt with Sony a few times and are always hard on them and have 100% success at getting refunds for people.
I threatened them with watchdog but they just don't seem to care. It's like talking to a brick wall with them

Jobbs

Banned

How can you look at the history of what Sean Murray has said and not believe there was malicious intent? The only possibilities are malicious intent or Sean Murray being completely out of the loop and not understanding what's in the game, which seems impossible given his position as a programmer.

You can't just say "yes" to everything in every interview and always say whatever anyone wants to hear ("so this is a game where you can live your whole life only in space as a pirate or a trader if that's what you want?" "yes") and go on endlessly about all kinds of bullshit that isn't in the game and chalk it up to some innocuous mistake.

This game was painted in great detail as a grand vision full of features that never came to be. There's just nothing there. It's a fraud. You should be personally insulted by it.

When I was in the chat with the guy from Sony he just said according to the TOS all sales are final and disconnected from the chat immediately.

Sony customer service is the worst I've dealt with. Thinking of not even renewing my PS+ subscription. Thanks HG, thanks Sony.

SomTervo

Man shit is getting cray up in this thread.

Also, the "!t's not a game, is art" reasoning is not... mmmh... fitting. I mean, not a very substantial statement.

It is a game.

Games can be art (I think they're always art personally) but most importantly artistic value is subjective. (Edit: think I may have misunderstood. Are these people saying it's not a game at all, but at? That's disingenuous. It's definitely a game too; it's both. TBH if it had just been marketed as an artwork it may have been hailed as a masterpiece.)

For you the "NMS is art" argument might be insubstantial. For me the game has quite a lot of artistic value and I appreciate it. And for people who are really into this kind of aesthetic/style, the artistic value is huge and can be a complete and valid selling point. They are fully happy with the game based on that (loads of these folk in the OT and screenshot threads).

But it's not the same for everyone. It carries different weight for each person, just like anything to do with taste. For some people, ie you, it is "just a game" and that's fine. But it'd with avoiding painting with such a broad brush.

Venom Fox

Banned
I threatened them with watchdog but they just don't seem to care. It's like talking to a brick wall with them
Wtf are they doing? I hope trading standards get involved. Please go to citizens advice. They'd usually give them a call and threaten legal action on your behalf.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Maybe not by Hello Games as a whole but Sean Murray made himself the face of the company and he lied through his teeth long enough it can't be seen as anything but malicious in nature.

Sure, you know all this because someone pieced together years if interviews I bet. Glad to see the witch hunt continue and go as far as taking money back for a game you have played. We should all do this. Just finish SP games and ask for money back. If it's broke that's one thing, if you don't like it after ten hours tough shit. When you buy a game digitally you make a commitment. Buy it physical next time.

Mihos

Gold Member
What crashes have people been seeing on the Steam version? I get a crash if I try to launch while the game is synching saves, and I get a framer ate drop to a crawl that I have to save and relaunch to clear up. I haven't had it just kick me out to desktop yet. I also have what I think is a bug to where I never have to/can't recharge my ships weapons, even though it keeps popping up the reminder and it says 0. I just have infinite ammo. It doesn't seem nearly as bad as what I see people complaining about on PS4 at least.

Simo

When I was in the chat with the guy from Sony he just said according to the TOS all sales are final and disconnected from the chat immediately.

Sony customer service is the worst I've dealt with. Thinking of not even renewing my PS+ subscription. Thanks HG, thanks Sony.

I wonder how much traffic increased and requested NMS refunds on the chat since last night? lol

The rep I got named Irvin told me the same thing about their policies but like others said they'd do a onetime goodwill of gesture and refunded me. I mean the chat was helpful enough but Sony throwing out this "Well...we'll do it this onetime but that's it!" kind of mentality is bull.

And they are developers.

This scares me a bit.

I agree that saying "it's not broken" is stupid, but if you put that many hours into a game, then I agree that you shouldn't be allowed a refund. It obviously worked well enough for you to sink a ton of hours into it, if you can't figure out it's broken or a shitty game by then, then eat your loss and go on to the next game.

Veggy

What crashes have people been seeing on the Steam version? I get a crash if I try to launch while the game is synching saves, and I get a framer ate drop to a crawl that I have to save and relaunch to clear up. I haven't had it just kick me out to desktop yet. I also have what I think is a bug to where I never have to/can't recharge my ships weapons, even though it keeps popping up the reminder and it says 0. I just have infinite ammo. It doesn't seem nearly as bad as what I see people complaining about on PS4 at least.

For me alt tabbing = 100% crash success rate

Venom Fox

Banned
I agree that saying "it's not broken" is stupid, but if you put that many hours into a game, then I agree that you shouldn't be allowed a refund. It obviously worked well enough for you to sink a ton of hours into it, if you can't figure out it's broken or a shitty game by then, then eat your loss and go on to the next game.
But the game didn't crash until after 50 hours played so what should the user do then? Eat the loss still?

joshlpaige

Neo Member

I had to talk to a second person. Be polite and ask again. The first guy said that I had completed 5% of NMS, and that was enough to deny a refund. The second guy agreed to the refund as a goodwill gesture. I am sorry you had a bad experience with the support, but there are more people there who are willing to listen.

Farewell

Sure, you know all this because someone pieced together years if interviews I bet. Glad to see the witch hunt continue and go as far as taking money back for a game you have played. We should all do this. Just finish SP games and ask for money back. If it's broke that's one thing, if you don't like it after ten hours tough shit. When you buy a game digitally you make a commitment. Buy it physical next time.

Years ago? Sean murray made a tweet on release day about the possibility of meeting other people online.

He said in every interview that you can meet other people, they deserve the shitstorm.

And that is just one point, there are many more and not "years old"

What makes it so you can't demand your rights with digital contrary to physical in your opinion? I also don't understand how a witch hunt would absolve Murray.

Top Bottom