• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

I got a refund and there's nothing you can do about.

dedXuO.gif

This is actually pretty funny to me because this is exactly how I envision Sean right now.

I even made a post about that with this same pic in it a while back. lol

Valentus

If you play a game for 50 hours and the game from that point DOESNT WORK ANYMORE, to costumer has all the rights to ask for a refund.

Some could compare this to buy final fantasy VII, advance to end of disk 2, and then disk 3 doesnt work... You could return the game and ask the store for a proper working copy of the same game.

The problem here is: digital era!, the guy cant ask for another working digital copy of the game, he had just to "wait for a proper patch to fix that", so he has to wait "we dont know how many days" until hil faulty game finally works? He has all the right to ask for a refund

But i dont believe the "50-hour refund" drama has made so many pages in this thread. I wanna know what Hello Games will do now after this disaster.

Im sure as hell that Sony wont partner with them in another game, and i think even nintendo or microsoft will think thrice about it.

Sean Murray is very lucky that publishers that dont give a fuck about this kind of situations like EA or Ubisoft exists.

Darryl

Banned
There's no warranty on games. You're not entitled to any refund because you feel like it. Live with the choices you make rather than expecting other people to pay for them. It's a good life lesson. Being forced to swallow your $60 loss so you finally learn not to pre-order/overhype a game is a good thing. If the game NEVER worked for you, sure. Get your money back because you bought a broken product. But playing 30 hours with a few crashes or watching a YouTube rant about the game and then saying "yeah, I think I'm done with this, gimme back what I paid you" is about the lowest thing I can think of. Our culture of entitlement is unreal and frankly, some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

personally think the idea of buying video games as mystery grab bags is ridiculous and it's unfair to the consumer and it's actually disrespectful to developers who produce high quality games. the money people spent on this game who were misled is now probably going into the wallets of someone who actually makes quality games. these guys are responsible for the entirety of their product, beginning middle and end. if people played for thirty hours and were disappointed and felt it didn't live up to what they were advertised, I can't see any reason why they don't deserve a refund, regardless of how excited they were about it prelaunch.

fritzo

LOL

I want EZA to record the "Justice for Brandon Jones" because man he called it right outta the gate.

Also, anyone know where the clip of the rating sticker being pulled off is from? Too good.

omg yes. And I was kinda on Ben Moore's side of the argument. Like "just wait Brandon, in due time you'll see." how wrong I was. My apologies.

Fushin

There's no warranty on games. You're not entitled to any refund because you feel like it. Live with the choices you make rather than expecting other people to pay for them. It's a good life lesson. Being forced to swallow your $60 loss so you finally learn not to pre-order/overhype a game is a good thing. If the game NEVER worked for you, sure. Get your money back because you bought a broken product. But playing 30 hours with a few crashes or watching a YouTube rant about the game and then saying "yeah, I think I'm done with this, gimme back what I paid you" is about the lowest thing I can think of. Our culture of entitlement is unreal and frankly, some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

OBzKDto.png

The game was glitchy and not what I paid for after playing for a few hours. I shouldn't be stuck with a broken product, and I'm not now.

Beefy

Has to be sarcasm? Please be sarcasm?

Beefy

News is spreading like wildfire and it's going to go nuclear

Cex is currently offering £31 trade in. If you're having doubts about the game I'd get in quick. This time next week I'd say knock £10 off that

Or get a refund, intead of losing out on cash.

CaLe

How often can I request a refund before Steam bans me ? I'm quite hard-headed and I really want the refund; I just value my library more.

TheChamp

So because I have had my TV, Graphics Card, Fridge and so on and used it for a few weeks and its broke thats on me because I have had more than 20 hours usage from it... and the UK government seems to agree with this hence why digital games now have a month period where refunds must be given.

Sometimes bugs dont appear until later on in the game or maybe missing features are not noticed until that far in hopefully this case will shows devs that gamers should not have to put up with buggy Day 1 releases, lying about features that are not in the game and simple false advertisement

Shouldn't have wasted your time with him. He doesn't want discussion, he wants an echo chamber.
does anyone in here want a discussion?

any time someone has offered an opinion contrary to the idea that people should have unlimited time with a game but still be eligible to refund it they have been accused of being a "corporate shill", among other things.

Lagamorph

Noticed this on the reddit thread,

Edit 7 - Users have reported being able to get refunds from Amazon if you got a physical copy. Use their chat support and explain the situation.

So people who bought physical PS4 copies may not be out of luck entirely.

Speely

Banned
An upcoming patch will let you see other players in the game. They will look like this.

freaky_gif.gif

Something like that would actually be pretty cool. Given Sean's statement that the only way to know what you looked like would be to meet another player (as unlikely as crossing paths was supposed to be,) it would be an interesting reveal to learn that you were some weird evolutionary offshoot of humans.

Of course with this example it would be hard to imagine carrying a multi-tool hehe.

How often can I request a refund before Steam bans me ? I'm quite hard-headed and I really want the refund; I just value my library more.
They're not going to ban you for requesting a refund, the worst they'll do is say no. Send a support ticket rather than using the automated system though, the automated system isn't great.

any time someone has offered an opinion contrary to the idea that people should have unlimited time with a game but still be eligible to refund it they have been accused of being a "corporate shill", among other things.

Complete and utter BS. I think that's the first time I've ever claimed that on all my time on GAF.

Lowest thing you can think of? Really? Thats the kind of sentiment usually reserved for murderers. I don't understand this level of vitriol for people that get a refund for a game they don't want to keep. Are you equally annoyed at people that choose to trade in or sell the game?

LostDonkey

Just a heads up, I sent two refund requests through the automated system yesterday and got the usual "sorry but....." blah blah blah about an hour after each, so I sent a manual ticket quoting UK Consumer Rights laws and the rights to a refund on Digital purchases. That was Yesterday and I haven't heard back yet and it's now nearly Midnight Sunday. So it may take a while if you do it manually.

renzollo

Banned

You are aware that the vast majority of physical goods generally have full refund policies within 14-28 days (in the US anyway, in Europe its probably even better) at most reputable vendors? Why is software any different? If I buy a new television, take it home, and find that after a week of using it I don't like the picture quality, should I be ashamed of myself for requesting a refund on those grounds? The fact that there are exceptions made for software is based on the historical premise that it was trivial to copy software and/or distribute it, it has absolutely no basis in the modern world (particularly for games on secure console platforms). Software vendors are simply taking advantage of a loophole that (a) the legal systems of various countries haven't had enough outcry/effort and/or (b) the public hasn't put enough pressure on vendors to revise yet.

CaLe

Click Support on the right hand menu on the game's page in your library, click your reasons for wanting a refund and then click Contact Steam support and write your message.

Awesome, done, thanks !

I assume I should expect a response a week from now ? Never had a lot of luck with customer service lol.

You're right. He's entitled to a refund because he is allowed to get a refund.

Got my refund from Amazon. I don't feel great about it but I played about 4 hours, not 30. Definitely not a game I was happy with.

The whole thing was a pain in the ass, though, and not nearly as easy as people in this thread are making it seem. Long story short, I spent an hour in chat between Sony and Amazon, and then another phone call with Amazon to finally make it happen.

Crazy part is, I don't think there's any way Amazon can actually remove it from my account. So I still have the game, and I guess I will forever. Unfortunately Amazon takes the hit instead of Sony, and I wish Hello Games were the ones who lost money. The whole situation sucks.

I will delete the game anyway. Never want to play it again.

Now I have $64 and change on my Amazon account. I think I'll buy Deus Ex, but I will buy a physical copy. Digital is more hassle than it's worth.

On one hand, you shouldn't need 50 hours to realize that the product is not what you thought it would be or that is not working properly.

On the other hand, NMS marketing was a mess full of lies and the product dosn't work very well.

I think people have legitimate reasons to ask for refunds, but I think too that some people are using this as an excuse to have their money backs of a product they definetly got entertainment or otherwise they wouldn't have played that much.

Beefy

Got my refund from Amazon. I don't feel great about it but I played about 4 hours, not 30. Definitely not a game I was happy with.

The whole thing was a pain in the ass, though, and not nearly as easy as people in this thread are making it seem. Long story short, I spent an hour in chat between Sony and Amazon, and then another phone call with Amazon to finally make it happen.

Crazy part is, I don't think there's any way Amazon can actually remove it from my account. So I still have the game, and I guess I will forever. Unfortunately Amazon takes the hit instead of Sony, and I wish Hello Games were the ones who lost money. The whole situation sucks.

I will delete the game anyway. Never want to play it again.

Now I have $64 and change on my Amazon account. I think I'll buy Deus Ex, but I will buy a physical copy. Digital is more hassle than it's worth.

I bought a physical copy from Amazon, all I did was use their support system. They asked me the reason why and I write 3 lines, they accepted and I took it to the drop off point. Then got my refund.

I have never ever got a refund before and didn't realise it was this easy.

I bought a physical copy from Amazon, all I did was use their support system. They asked me the reason why and I write 3 lines, they accepted and I took it to the drop off point. Then got my refund.

It's easy to get refunds from Amazon, but they could ban your account if you abuse their refunds. Be careful!

I think my Amazon refund was way more complicated because I bought a digital code from them for the game. Not a physical copy. So they kept telling me it was Sony's responsibility, and Sony kept saying it was Amazon's. Finally Amazon was the one to do me a favor.

Tried to get a refund on steam earlier today, they just responded saying no because I've played more than 2 hours. OP lied to me!

Try to use the support ticket method if you haven't already. Follow the instructions in JaseC's post below.

I can stitch one together: How do you open up a ticket?

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Click on any of the categories after logging in and then "Contact Steam Support". You'll then be able to create a refund-related ticket.

Also, for people who live in the EU try attaching this along with your request. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

For those in Australia, try mentioning the ACCC lawsuit, someone said it worked for them after being refused at first. I just can't find the flipping post lol.

Speely

Banned

There is a good conversation to be had about return policies and static vs flexible models depending on various factors without resorting to the extreme ends of the spectrum to defend either argument. Thing is, those criticizing refundees have no vested interest in this particular situation. They are objecting on principle. Those who feel they were ripped off ARE invested and directly affected.

This is a thread about the affected parties, and it seems like some folks are just coming in and calling others entitled opportunists as if somehow personally offended. Their ire hasn't the benefit of being part of the issue being discussed in the same way.

I agree it has gotten overly-combative, but it's not as if this thread has no business existing, nor is it out of line to expect players to want some kind of recourse for buying a product that is not only often broken at various points throughout the game, but that does not even contain the features that were advertised when you CAN play it.

This isn't some devious cabal of greedy gamers trying to have our cake and eat it too. If this happened with every game that just didn't live up to hype or that had crashes, we would have a bigger problem. It doesn't. This game has a collection of broken and missing features that are so overwhelmingly obvious and ubiquitous that it boggles the mind that anyone would, even if they liked the game, try to make anyone else feel ashamed for feeling ripped off.

On one hand, you shouldn't need 50 hours to realize that the product is not what you thought it would be or that is not working properly.

On the other hand, NMS marketing was a mess full of lies and the product dosn't work very well.

I think people have legitimate reasons to ask for refunds, but I think too that some people are using this as an excuse to have their money backs of a product they definetly got entertainment or otherwise they wouldn't have played that much.

The dude who played for fifty hours is getting a refund because the game kept on crashing on him after a certain point.

I love this thread. It's turned into such a great cathartic payoff. Before these mass refunds the defenders of NMS/HG/Sean shrugged off the deceptive marketing and were blaming the disappointed players for "getting too hyped" and not appreciating this under-delivered masterpiece. There was nothing you could do about it so of course they're the ones in the right.

But now that many more people are able to get their money back these defenders have turned the argument into an ethical debate about whether you "deserve" a refund or if it's "right" to request a refund that's available to you. I cannot laugh harder at their reasoning. Eat shit you dumb fuckers and take a plate of it in a to-go box for Sean. You have no argument to support a developer that lies so blatantly so if you all the sudden want to get started with this ethical bullshit then you better be tweeting it at Sean.

This will go down in history as an instance where a game was so wantonly misleading that sellers had to actually step in and offer their consumers some additional recourse far and beyond what a game normally gets. Hello Games and Sean are done in the big video game business. I'm sure they'll release something else and collaborate on other things but this fiasco isn't a bruise to their reputation, it's a tattoo, they'll never be able to shake it. Molyneux didn't deliver on all his promises for Fable, BUT he still delivered Fable which had near-universal critical acclaim. Kojima sold Metal Gear Solid 2 on a demo that exclusively featured Snake and then switched to Raiden for most of the game, BUT he still delivered Metal Gear Solid 2 which had near-universal critical acclaim. Now Sean Murray didn't deliver on anything close to all of his promises for No Man's Sky and instead he delivered.... No Man's Sky, a 5/10 empty husk of a game.

I have no sympathy for the dev here. But you know what? I'm still interested in the game, just to see how much of a mess this game I was once hyped for turned out to be. So I'll buy it in a few months, but mark my words- I refuse to pay more than $10 for it. Also I'll make sure to buy used, that way Hello Games doesn't get a cent.

Zemm

Damn, someone asked - and got - a refund after playing for 72 hours? What a prick.

why do you care? Let whoever is in control of the refund requests over on PSN, Steam or Amazon judge. If they have no problem accepting a refund request from someone who has played the game for 70 hours then why do you?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol at the continuing 'bu bu 50 hours!!' defense force
Mass refunds should have happened with ps3 skyrim as well.

50 hours in the type of game no man's sky was supposed to be isn't even a drop in the bucket. That's pretty much the equivalent of 5 seconds played out if a standard 8 hour game. I played no man's sky for over 100 hours I enjoyed it but the constant bugs preventing me from advancing my character, hard ps4 locks, and janky buggy shit was pissing me off.

I'll gladly buy it again down the line if they ever deliver on their promises but sorry I'm not about the unadvertised 60 dollar early access life. If they were honest and said these features are not in yet but we are working on them and will roll them out over time I wouldn't have went for the refund and been more forgiving. It's the lies mixed with the janky broken experience. Which sucks it really does game had so much potential.

Lowest thing you can think of? Really? Thats the kind of sentiment usually reserved for murderers. I don't understand this level of vitriol for people that get a refund for a game they don't want to keep. Are you equally annoyed at people that choose to trade in or sell the game?
no. What a stupid thing to say. One is wholly different than the other.

why do you care? Let whoever is in control of the refund requests over on PSN, Steam or Amazon judge. If they have no problem accepting a refund request from someone who has played the game for 70 hours then why do you?

How can one defend Sean's honor if they just leave it to the corporations?!?

They have like a 30 day money back guarentee IIRC so shouldn't be a problem.

Seems like a lot of catches though, and only if the game doesnt work

If a game that you've bought on GOG.com doesn't work and our team of expert Support staff can't solve the problem for you, we will give you back your money.

If, within 30 days after the purchase of your game, you experience technical problems or game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game, contact our customer support. They will do their best to help you fix the problem and if, at the end of their attempts to solve the problem your game is still not working, we'll give you back your money.

Top Bottom