• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Im in Canada. Tried the live chat. No luck. They sent me that copy paste all sales final TOS crap.

Have you told them that many others are getting refunds for this particular game?

I would make a list of a bunch of the transcripts posted on this thread and elsewhere that show people getting refunds and post them the links.

Trojan

Does anyone else think that the generous refund policy for No Man's Sky might be because the claims of false advertisement might be legitimate? Could Sony or Steam just be covering their butts by saying they offered refunds or am I overthinking it in that a claim like that wouldn't even affect Sony or Steam in the first place, just Hello Games?

This is a good point - I'm guessing the separate companies made the decision either because the discontented chorus was so loud or because of what you mentioned above. I'm in the US but from what I've read about UK law I think there's some validity to false advertising, particularly with the multiplayer component.

From how much anger people still have for the game's failed promises, I'm 95% sure someone will lodge a formal complaint or a class-action law suit on this if it hasn't already been done. And they'll have a legitimate complaint that will likely be reviewed.

It's not right that things escalated to where offensive slurs/insults were leveled at Shahid. It should never get to that point, and those who used such language should be ashamed.

Shahid did, however, begin this chapter of the controversy by making the charge of thievery. It doesn't matter how he attempted to qualify his charge after the fact... and, after inviting criticism to his charge, he ran and hid by blocking those who dared to disagree.

I hope it was worth it for him to ride to Sean Murray's aid, because his reputation has been permanently tarnished. It's not quite Phil Fish levels of ridiculousness, but the outcome may be just the same.

It was inflammatory language on his part. How is getting a refund AND NO LONGER OWNING A PRODUCT the same as stealing. Quite simply stealing is illegal and what occurred was not.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
There's no warranty on games. You're not entitled to any refund because you feel like it. Live with the choices you make rather than expecting other people to pay for them. It's a good life lesson. Being forced to swallow your $60 loss so you finally learn not to pre-order/overhype a game is a good thing. If the game NEVER worked for you, sure. Get your money back because you bought a broken product. But playing 30 hours with a few crashes or watching a YouTube rant about the game and then saying "yeah, I think I'm done with this, gimme back what I paid you" is about the lowest thing I can think of. Our culture of entitlement is unreal and frankly, some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
Should the dev be ashamed of himself for selling a game to millions of people with features that don't even exist?

Assanova

I think my Amazon refund was way more complicated because I bought a digital code from them for the game. Not a physical copy. So they kept telling me it was Sony's responsibility, and Sony kept saying it was Amazon's. Finally Amazon was the one to do me a favor.

I bought a digital code from Amazon and it took five minutes to receive my refund.

Lagamorph

This is a good point - I'm guessing the separate companies made the decision either because the discontented chorus was so loud or because of what you mentioned above. I'm in the US but from what I've read about UK law I think there's some validity to false advertising, particularly with the multiplayer component.

From how much anger people still have for the game's failed promises, I'm 95% sure someone will lodge a formal complaint or a class-action law suit on this if it hasn't already been done. And they'll have a legitimate complaint that will likely be reviewed.

I wouldn't be surprised of Sony/Steam/etc are covering themselves here. As the suppliers they're the ones legally responsible from a consumer point of view, so they would be the targets of consumer brought lawsuits, not Hello Games.
Really, the retailers are as much victims as the rest of us really, but they're the ones who've gotten stuck dealing with the shit.

Omadahl

Banned
I have 30 hours and seeking a refund at this point feels like I'm robbing them. If you played over 20 hours, I think it functioned well enough for you. People getting a refund at 50 hours is sleazy.

Lagamorph

I have 30 hours and seeking a refund at this point feels like I'm robbing them. If you played over 20 hours, I think it functioned well enough for you. People getting a refund at 50 hours is sleazy.

For people experiencing crashes, how many of those hours were repeat hours spent re-doing something they lost because the game crashed out? It doesn't auto-save as you're just wandering around a planet cataloguing/collecting things if you're on foot. It can be very easy to lose 2-3 hours of gameplay on a fairly regular basis with the way the game is at the moment.

Should the dev be ashamed of himself for selling a game to millions of people with features that don't even exist?

Now the fun question:

If the game was 1/3 the current price, would they be getting the same kind of hate? And should they be getting the same hate at a lower price? Do we only seem to give this kind of attention to a full priced title?

Exactly! It's like a car. If it catches fire after 200 miles, you shouldn't get your money back. That's just sleazy.

Nohar

Just sayin, now would be the perfect time to file a class action if anyone is going to while so many eyes and ears are pointed at the situation.

Now that is something I would really like to see, because if successful it could set up a precedent, and that would certainly stop some sleazy developers from pulling the same kind of scam. It would be a victory for our consumers' rights.

Stuart444

People getting a refund at 50 hours is sleazy.

Nope

If it crashes and you're unable to play it without it crashing constantly then no matter how many hours, you should be able to get a refund.

A product stops working, through no fault of your own, then you deserve a refund.

End of.

Lagamorph

Now the fun question:

If the game was 1/3 the current price, would they be getting the same kind of hate? And should they be getting the same hate at a lower price? Do we only seem to give this kind of attention to a full priced title?

They should certainly still get the same level of shit for outright lieing about what was in the game, but I don't think people would feel so outraged at paying an Early Access price for an unfinished Early Access product, rather than paying AAA price for an unfinished Early Access product.

Omadahl

Banned
For people experiencing crashes, how many of those hours were repeat hours spent re-doing something they lost because the game crashed out? It doesn't auto-save as you're just wandering around a planet cataloguing/collecting things if you're on foot. It can be very easy to lose 2-3 hours of gameplay on a fairly regular basis with the way the game is at the moment.

Fair point. I suppose I would amend it to actual play hours. I haven't had any crashes but I've spend probably 2 hours fiddling with the settings to get the game to be playable.

You guys are fucking SLEEZY for wanting a refund

HE

HE TRIED SO HARD TO GIVE YOU SPACE

And you SLEEZEBALLS have the NERVE to tick SONY and HELLO GAMES into giving your money back because you couldn't find the crackachu

Fucking

SLEEZY.

Now the fun question:

The intensity of the outrage might be a bit less, but yes, they absolutely deserve to be criticized regardless of the sticker price.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Now the fun question:

The hate would still be there but the burn wouldn't be as intense from the devs.

SomTervo

Now the fun question:

I think this is an important question. I'm a bit salty about the game - albeit less so than many here - yet if the game was £25-30 I wouldn't be salty at all.

ROFISH

Neo Member
Also I'll make sure to buy used, that way Hello Games doesn't get a cent.

Normally I'd say that "buying used as a punishment" seems particularly vindictive since you've already taken the stance that used games don't provide any extra cash towards the developer.

But in this case, it might actually be economically closer to the true value of the game. A $60 game bought used twice, therefore 3 people using one disc, one original owner and two used owners, might actually be that $20/person might be a fair value of the game. ($20/person calculated by the dev only saw the original $60 and three people ultimately were "owners" of it.)

Eumi

That added note to the steam store page is absolutely hilarious. Hello games must be pretty much damaged forever now, right? I'm sure they'll keep making games but they're a joke at best to a lot of people at this point.

Maximo

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/11/do-not-let-skyrim-overflow-your-ps3/

"After Skyrim gamesave files surpass 5MB in the PS3 version, many claim to experience lag and stability issues. “Such as framerate issues, poor rendering, shoddy loading and non interactions fro finishing quests/cutting wood etc,” wrote gamer PurpleHaze on the game’s official forums."

“I can’t finish ANY quest and i can’t buy from ANY trader/npc and i can only talk to them after some laggy button pressing,” continued PurpleHaze. So my gamesave is now 6mb (how i don’t know since i couldn’t buy/sell/talk or complete quests) and the LAG and framerate issue is so bad at this point, the game isn’t worh restarting.”

“It does not take long for the save file to exceed 6MB, roughly 16 hours for me, so playing the game in any sort of depth will become very troublesome,” wrote Kotaku reader Toby."

I guess these people that experienced a completely broken game of Skyrim on PS3 after 16+ hours don't deserve a refund too? Time played is not a indication of when you can't receive a refund, if the game suddenly stops working as intended then they deserve a refund end of story.

50 hours.

Bluntly, if we were talking about the PS3 version of Skyrim, nobody would be against anyone getting a refund when it came to a juddering halt at roughly the fifty hour mark. I suspect the fact that the label "indie game" managed to get attached to this project is the only reason anyone is against getting a refund should No Man's Sky breaks for someone.

benzopil

I think Sean regrets selling it for $60. I'm sure he thought about it and still thinks about it every day. Don't think it was his idea, maybe Sony?

Omadahl

Banned
Exactly! It's like a car. If it catches fire after 200 miles, you shouldn't get your money back. That's just sleazy.

That's a poor analogy and you know it. In that analogy, you drove the car while it was on fire across the country and never complained until you for to the other side. What I'm saying is that if you played a game for 50 hours and enjoyed it, you shouldn't be entitled to get your money back just because you can.

Now the fun question:

It would definitely not recieve the same amount of flack.

where were all these people during the RROD and YLOD era? surely consumersdishonorable sleazeball thieves got more than 50 hours of game time on those before they shit the bed and unscrupulously demanded compensation.

ROFISH

Neo Member
Now the fun question:

Absolutely. If this was just another cheap "indie digital-only" release, we wouldn't be seeing as much of the refund backlash. Releasing pricing does matter towards the ultimate consumer consensus on the game; a $60 title has to compete with other $60 titles. For a lot of folks, $60 is a huge gamble of price and forgone other similarly priced for this one.

Fray Bentos

Neo Member
After 3 hous played just got the below email, i said in my refund thathe game was miss advertised

Hello Comedykev™
Your purchase has been refunded by Steam.
We’ve issued the refund to your Steam wallet. The funds will be shown now as pending and will become available to spend within 7 days.

No Man's Sky - Playtime: 3 hours 14 minutes

Purchased: Aug 12, 2016 BST
Subtotal: £33.32
Tax: £6.67
Total refund: £39.99 to your Steam Wallet

Happy days

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Now the fun question:

I think that has a lot to do with it - I think if it were cheaper, it'd probably be because it's in an Early Access style 'preview' setup, and not on store shelves next to full-price AAA games. I believe Sony's blessing with his game made people think it had something 'special' that elevated it to that price point. Couple that with Murray talking up all these non-existent elements and it was always gonna go bad.

The hate, for me, is directly due to how misleading HG have been about the game. I like to reverse the situation - if this were an AAA title from a massive studio and they literally just made shit up about it, then when it came out they went silent, ignoring the community and still posting vague tweets about those missing features, the backlash would be even more immense. I'm surprised I'm still posting after getting a refund - I think i'm more intrigued by people having an issue with it :p

Bluntly, if we were talking about the PS3 version of Skyrim, nobody would be against anyone getting a refund when it came to a juddering halt at roughly the fifty hour mark.

This. And Skyrim had all of it's promised features.

If you spent 50 hours grinding resources to explore planets for the sole purpose of finding the sandworm from the trailers (or something equivalent), only to find it doesn't exist, you deserve your money back. If the game is crashing constantly on top of that? Even more so.

Last checked this thread 28 pages ago.

Yep, it's still fucking gross.

If you're criticizing and insulting someone for getting a refund for a broken fucking product, you are being a shit. No way around it.

Get up, take a walk, and really think about your life and place in the world if you think that it's more important to blindly defend a video game than stand behind consumer rights.

That's a poor analogy and you know it. In that analogy, you drove the car while it was on fire across the country and never complained until you for to the other side. What I'm saying is that if you played a game for 50 hours and enjoyed it, you shouldn't be entitled to get your money back just because you can.
Are you saying people didn't complain about NMS's technical issues? Because they have been complaining since day one about it.

Elandyll

Banned
A dozen hours or so, sure. Let's say you really, really wanted to like the game but the bugs and crashes got to you eventually. But 50+? Give me abreak.

LostDonkey

Who is saying anybody "enjoyed it".

The 50 hours is moot if the game completely stop performing.

Besides that, as you are probably aware, Steams policy is 2 hours so many people might have thought I'll have to stick with it because I've already gone over and see if it gets any better. Now they've found out that they are offering refunds if you have gone over the 2 hour limit, how is that anyone's fault? It's not got any better, in fact it's got worse. That is fair grounds for a refund.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
50 hours.
Let me make this one simple and easy to understand.

You eat at a restruant, you finish your meal even though it taste kinda meh, you get home and suffer from food poisoning leaving you sick for days. Do you just go "guess I won't eat there again lol" or do you do something about it?

Top Bottom