• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

ROFISH

Neo Member
Then we are in an agreement here. In case you still don't know, the "50 hour user" in question has his NMS crashes about every 20 mins after that amount of time. I would think any game that crashes this frequently as unplayable.

Hoooolllly crap! They have patience of a saint; I would've rage quit long before that!

Speely

Banned
This should teach game developers to not simply lie in order to sell their game. Not at this level at least.

Yeah they should just never lie blatantly. It's almost a given that a developer could hype up and embellish some aspects of their game that they are excited about, or to even talk about features they envision in a hopeful fashion for their game. Hell, I could even imagine a lead stating that features were part of the game before they were if they truly believed that said features were such a focus that they were confident that they would make it in.

I can even understand trying to deliver something but falling short. That is a very real part of any creative process with a time constraint and/or small team.

Just running with all the things people want to hear and then going full Swayze once the product is released while missing lots of content and barely running for many people? That's either a con or it's a complete lack of accountability. Straight up. Hello Games gamed the system here, and now consumers are fighting back. As they should.

etta

my hard graphic balls
60 American Dollars

Divi9yo.png
I feel sorry for my Canadian comrades who spent NINTEY DOLLARS with tax for this dumpster fire.

Cmagus

2 hours is too little imo especially when a good hour and more is spent setting up the game and I mean I probably spent 5-6 hours on the first planet so it would be hard to tell if the game has all the stuff in such a little window. That being said I put 24 hours into it so I didn't bother asking but I learned a lesson.

Speely

Banned
2 hours is too little imo especially when a good hour and more is spent setting up the game and I mean I probably spent 5-6 hours on the first planet so it would be hard to tell if the game has all the stuff in such a little window. That being said I put 24 hours into it so I didn't bother asking but I learned a lesson.

Exactly this. A static return policy just doesn't work these days. 2 hours in one game could mean completing it in its entirety while for another (like NMS) it could mean just getting your bearings and learning how to deal with the UI.

Chabbles

I love this thread. It's turned into such a great cathartic payoff. Before these mass refunds the defenders of NMS/HG/Sean shrugged off the deceptive marketing and were blaming the disappointed players for "getting too hyped" and not appreciating this under-delivered masterpiece. There was nothing you could do about it so of course they're the ones in the right.

But now that many more people are able to get their money back these defenders have turned the argument into an ethical debate about whether you "deserve" a refund or if it's "right" to request a refund that's available to you. I cannot laugh harder at their reasoning. Eat shit you dumb fuckers and take a plate of it in a to-go box for Sean. You have no argument to support a developer that lies so blatantly so if you all the sudden want to get started with this ethical bullshit then you better be tweeting it at Sean.

This will go down in history as an instance where a game was so wantonly misleading that sellers had to actually step in and offer their consumers some additional recourse far and beyond what a game normally gets. Hello Games and Sean are done in the big video game business. I'm sure they'll release something else and collaborate on other things but this fiasco isn't a bruise to their reputation, it's a tattoo, they'll never be able to shake it. Molyneux didn't deliver on all his promises for Fable, BUT he still delivered Fable which had near-universal critical acclaim. Kojima sold Metal Gear Solid 2 on a demo that exclusively featured Snake and then switched to Raiden for most of the game, BUT he still delivered Metal Gear Solid 2 which had near-universal critical acclaim. Now Sean Murray didn't deliver on anything close to all of his promises for No Man's Sky and instead he delivered.... No Man's Sky, a 5/10 empty husk of a game.

I have no sympathy for the dev here. But you know what? I'm still interested in the game, just to see how much of a mess this game I was once hyped for turned out to be. So I'll buy it in a few months, but mark my words- I refuse to pay more than $10 for it. Also I'll make sure to buy used, that way Hello Games doesn't get a cent.

You can type all that having not even played the game ?. How do you really know if you wont personally enjoy it, considering there are lots who do ?. Maybe you've been fooled by all the hate as easily as you could have been fooled by the hype and Seans lies.

Hatty

I've tried four times and one of those was with a steam support ticket and I denied every time because I played for five hours. Guess I missed the boat

LostDonkey

So valve are going to deny refunds in the UK even though you have 30 days to get a refund if a product is broken? Shady shit man.

You only have 30 days with physical goods. BUT you still are covered by UK law for a full refund if the digital product cannot be repaired or replaced.

Besides that UK law already covers for false advertising and misrepresentation of any product, physical or digital. So no, they would be breaking the law by refusing.

dano1

A Sheep
For all the people that are having real problems I hope you get a refund. All others that just want a refund because they can I hope your system bricks!!

For all the people that are having real problems I hope you get a refund. All others that just want a refund because they can I hope your system bricks!!

Are you abusing refunds that personally doesn't affect me?

I hope your 400 dollar console breaks down!

This is mature.

Nzyme32

Has anyone gotten refunds from Steam even with this restriction currently in place?

As I posted earlier - this is not a new restriction - this is the same refund policy that has always been there - there are exceptions as part of the policy, but Valve get to decide what can and can't be exceptions to the existing policy - basically, read the policy.

"It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look."

You can ask if you are outside the criteria and can get refunds only if they feel it is justified. The refund system is mostly automated, but you can also make a ticket if you really want to debate with them more.

The only refunds I have done are Homeworld and Volume (both over both days and time played; re-bought Homeworld once the issues were fixed) as well as Deus Ex MD & NMS (pre-orders cancelled; NMS because of obvious reasons, DX for a cheaper price on GMG) and finally Stephenson's Sausage Roll (because the game was so addictive and I had shit to do!! Will re-buy soon).

rdytoroll

This thread keeps on giving lmao. All the drama surrounding this game make up for how bad it is

Exactly this. A static return policy just doesn't work these days. 2 hours in one game could mean completing it in its entirety while for another (like NMS) it could mean just getting your bearings and learning how to deal with the UI.

Yeah, I posited that question way back at the beginning of this thread,

See, that's the kicker, I saw this sentiment posted sooooo much the days following launch. I mean I saw people saying, don't give up yet it gets better... Well what if it doesn't and you go past the refund window? I mean, what if there is actually a game that actually does start to pick up after 10 or so hours... Should the refund window for those types of games be extended where it would cover more than just technical difficulties?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Read some of the comments in this thread. Not going to name names.
No please help yourself and name some names, people need to know if your magical curse of ill will of a bricking console will effect them.

ohhh no they have to send it to Sony and get it replaced oh no the horror

Now the fun question:

If the game was 1/3 the current price, would they be getting the same kind of hate? And should they be getting the same hate at a lower price? Do we only seem to give this kind of attention to a full priced title?

I doubt we would reach backslash of this level if any of the following would have happened:

• The game was indie priced.
  • The game followed early access business model.
  • Honest interviews and trailers instead of vague and misleading ones.
  • ANY acknowledgement or apologies from Hello Games or Sean himself.

But no, none of the above happened and we now have a perfect storm with NMS in the center.

Also, Sean Murray has been proven to be the best coach for mental gymnastics. It has been a treat to watch his appreciates perform excuses after excuses in each thread, with higher and higher difficulty scores.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Im sorry, did they steal the game or paid for it like everyone else?

Nzyme32

So valve are going to deny refunds in the UK even though you have 30 days to get a refund if a product is broken? Shady shit man.

This isn't true - the EU law applies. Read here for info - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8620-QYAL-4516

Hardware does have the 30 days, boxed software and digitally provided content are typically excluded, but do give 14 days on Steam anyway.

Software and Services
European law principally provides a right of withdrawal on software sales. However, it can be and typically is excluded for boxed software that has been opened and for digitally provided content once it has been made available to the end user. This is what happens when you make a transaction on Steam: The EU statutory right of withdrawal ends the moment the content and services are added to your account.
At the same time, Steam voluntarily offers refunds to all of its customers worldwide in a way that is much more customer-friendly than our legal obligations. You can find the details here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Hardware
For hardware sold on Steam, the EU right of withdrawal is of course provided to all of our EU customers. It parallels the general Steam refund offer for hardware. You can find the refund offer here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Omadahl

Banned
I doubt we would reach backslash of this level if any of the following would have happened:

• The game was indie priced.
  • The game followed early access business model.
  • Honest interviews and trailers instead of vague and misleading ones.
  • ANY acknowledgement or apologies from Hello Games or Sean himself.

But no, none of the above happened and we now have a perfect storm with NMS in the center.

Also, Sean Murray has been proven to be the best coach for mental gymnastics. It has been a treat to watch his appreciates perform excuses after excuses in each thread, with higher and higher difficulty scores.

Really, the complete lack of communication, even with Sony backing this is mind-boggling. Hello Games either doesn't want to engage in PR of any sort or Sony is distancing itself from the bright blaze of the dumpster fire they funded. Probably both.

JaseMath

There's way too many people taking advantage of this refund stuff. At what point do some of you hold yourself accountable for buying a shit game?

Top Bottom