• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Like, I'm still laughing. There are posters who still insist that "think of those people who would abuse the refund!" as though there are people in the thread doing it.

And yeah, it is unusual at the radio silence. Usually when you get debacles like this the dev would immediately make an answer.

People forget. How many times Molyneux has done the same shit to all of us and still we bought his games?

In 3 years maybe we wont see a No Mans Sky 2 from Hello Games (or whatever Sean's Murray studio would be called in that time), but a game with a very similar concept, and the hype train will start again. People forget.

What i dont understand is why didnt nobody from HG made a statement about all this, not even a generic "we are working on solving the problems. Our space community is very important to us. Vulcan Salute"... This all silence only made the damage to HG's image more devastating.

Milo and Godus shut people up... right? Right?

BouncyFrag

8YPOiSe.gif
I'll be sleeping with a light on tonight.

HariKari

And yeah, it is unusual at the radio silence. Usually when you get debacles like this the dev would immediately make an answer.

Probably hoping people move on. Might not get any comment until after the Neo reveal. Gives them time to make an honest effort to patch the technical issues.

sazzy

XyedD59.png

Wonder how many times this has been refunded for Steam to add this on the NMS Store page

That, and the game is being buried in search results.

When the game was released, typing 'n' in the search box would show the dropdown search results with NMS as the first result.

Now, you have to type 'no man' for it to show up at all.

Speely

Banned
That, and the game is being buried in search results.

When the game was released, typing 'n' in the search box would show the dropdown search results with NMS as the first result.

Now, you have to type 'no man' for it to show up at all.

I noticed that as well. Thought maybe it was just something on my end.

People forget. How many times Molyneux has done the same shit to all of us and still we bought his games?

In 3 years maybe we wont see a No Mans Sky 2 from Hello Games (or whatever Sean's Murray studio would be called in that time), but a game with a very similar concept, and the hype train will start again. People forget.

What i dont understand is why didnt nobody from HG made a statement about all this, not even a generic "we are working on solving the problems. Our space community is very important to us. Vulcan Salute"... This all silence only made the damage to HG's image more devastating.

But Fable games were fun even with the lies :(

The silence is what is destroying them. It comes off as they are hoping to get as many sales as possible for announcing that they knew all along that their game had shortcomings.

But Fable games were fun even with the lies :(

This. Molyneux had many good games under his belt before Fable, and even that series is pretty well regarded outside of 3, which was still decent.

Todd Howard never exposed the mess that was PS3 Skyrim, true, but the other versions were great and the game itself is pretty phenomenal.

I don't hate Murray, but he sold us on a masterpiece in 2014, and then delivered that game's Alpha in 2016 for $60. That's a really, really rough first impression and he deserves to be taken to task for it. Sony too, assuming that they controlled his messaging at all.

Somehow I feel vindicated that I was right, but that now locked thread of Sean Murray's message to fans made me truly sad that people didn't see the signs.

Hype culture truly is a wild thing.

Speely

Banned
Somehow I feel vindicated that I was right, but that now locked thread of Sean Murray's message to fans made me truly sad that people didn't see the signs.

So is it more the consumer's fault for buying into the hype or the developer's fault for creating it?

(BTW, not attacking your point here, but I am interested in the way people look at this issue.)

According to steamspy

At its peak 784,990 copies were owned on steam, now it stands at 758,950, so approximated 26K copies were refunded, or 3.3%. Still, that is $1.56 million dollars out of the pockets of steam and HG.

Bully culture truly is a wild thing.

You feel vindicated by what exactly? Not liking a game you weren't interested in in the first place? There are a lot of people who are playing and enjoying the game right now.

HariKari

According to steamspy

At its peak 784,990 copies were owned on steam, now it stands at 758,950, so approximated 26K copies were refunded, or 3.3%. Still, that is $1.56 million dollars out of the pockets of steam and HG.

It's crazy to see a game ownership number drop, though. I don't remember that ever happening.

Bully culture truly is a wild thing.

You feel vindicated by what exactly? Not liking a game you weren't interested in in the first place? There are a lot of people who are playing and enjoying the game right now.

Where are they? Less than ten percent of the peak is playing on Steam right now, even during peak hours. More people are usually playing Terraria.

Outside of bug fixes, they have no intention of supporting the game with future content.

According to steamspy

Keep in mind that Steamspy estimates but it isn't an entirely accurate resource. The numbers are estimates.

So is it more the consumer's fault for buying into the hype or the developer's fault for creating it?

(BTW, not attacking your point here, but I am interested in the way people look at this issue.)

I think we use the word "hype" rather loosely around here. Is it popularity? What level?

For me hype means community interest is high enough to override your own interests. Meaning, that hype circumvents ones own interest enough to get them to like something they normally wouldn't like. In most circumstances, this is bad. However, it can allow some gamers to enjoy a genre they normally wouldn't like.

A hyped game failing to live up to the genre for non-genre gamers is normal.

What happened here is a lot of gamers who aren't interested in chill exploration games were convinced to buy-in. They have no one to blame but themselves. People who "thank god" or are "vindicated" that they didn't buy into a game that normally wouldn't like anyway is just meaningless tribalistic commentary.

The "dumb" gamers are the ones who saw a chill exploration game and thought OMG it's Destiny! (regardless of what the devs said - looks at the game with your goddamn eyeballs)
The smart gamers are the ones who saw a chill exploration game and thought - cool a chill exploration game. (That's me).
The gamers who saw a chill exploration game and thought - I don't like chill exploration games - those gamers are simply following their normal gaming consuming habits.

What happened here is a lot of gamers who aren't interested in chill exploration games were convinced to buy-in. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Huh? NMS isn't a "chill exploration game" at all, IMO. What's chill about "Life Support falling" ... "Radiation Protection low"... "No free slots in inventory"... every minute?

What actually happened was that players were sold on dynamic creatures, beautiful worlds, large space battles with factions, and badass fucking sandworms. Instead, they got an Early Access version of that game that's 90% busywork, 5% exploration of mostly generic planets and 5% recovering from crashes.

The best illustration of this, for the millionth time.

Speely

Banned
I think we use the word "hype" rather loosely around here. Is it popularity? What level?

For me hype means community interest is high enough to override your own interests. Meaning, that hype circumvents ones own interest enough to get them to like something they normally wouldn't like. In most circumstances, this is bad. However, it can allow some gamers to enjoy a genre they normally wouldn't like.

A hyped game failing to live up to the genre for non-genre gamers is normal.

What happened here is a lot of gamers who aren't interested in chill exploration games were convinced to buy-in. They have no one to blame but themselves. People who "thank god" or are "vindicated" that they didn't buy into a game that normally wouldn't like anyway is just meaningless tribalistic commentary.

But the game was not sold as "chill exploration." It was sold as a hard science sandbox. Sean Murray sold it as such. No matter how vague the term "hype" is, he still explicity said certain things would be part of the game people bought for $60 and those things weren't there. Putting the blame on people who believed what Sean said is unfair.

Huh? NMS isn't a "chill exploration game" at all, IMO. What's chill about "Life Support falling" ... "Radiation Protection low"... "No free slots in inventory"... every minute?

What actually happened was that players were sold on dynamic creatures, beautiful worlds, large space battles with factions, and badass fucking sandworms. Instead, they got an Early Access version of that game that's 90% busywork, 5% exploration of mostly generic planets and 5% recovering from crashes.

If you have to seriously worry about your life support failing because you don't have any carbon on hand, you are playing the game wrong. If you play the game like you are going for a world first in WoW (like some gamers did in the beginning chasing for the center of the galaxy), you are also playing it wrong.

So, I'm returning my LE that I ordered from Amazon. I didn't talk to CS or anything, I just requested the refund via the My Orders page. Has anyone done this and gotten the full refund? Amazon.com policy states that opened games will receive 50% of the purchase price back.

But the game was not sold as "chill exploration." It was sold as a hard science sandbox. Sean Murray sold it as such. No matter how vague the term "hype" is, he still explicity said certain things would be part of the game people bought for $60 and those things weren't there. Putting the blame on people who believed what Sean said is unfair.

Here is what I know:

There were gamers who knew exactly what the game would be.
There were gamers who had no fucking clue what the game would be.

Both groups of gamers saw the same videos and read the same interviews. I was one of those gamers in the first group. I saw the same videos and the same interviews. I got exactly what I expected.

The only difference between the first group and the second group are the contents of brains - ie. self-inflicted expectations.

Speely

Banned
If you have to seriously worry about your life support failing because you don't have any carbon on hand, you are playing the game wrong. If you play the game like you are going for a world first in WoW (like some gamers did in the beginning chasing for the center of the galaxy), you are also playing it wrong.

And it doesn't matter how anyone is playing the game if the game they are playing is not the game that was promoted and advertised (and is still being advertised on Steam.)

Here is what I know:

Both groups of gamers saw the same videos and read the same interviews. I was one of those gamers in the first group. I saw the same videos and the same interviews. I got exactly what I expected.

The only difference between the first group and the second group are the contents of brains - ie. self-inflicted expectations.

So when you saw Sean Murray say that you can play with your friends and run into other players in the game you knew he was lying, but just didn't care?

hamchan

Here is what I know:

Let's not blame the victims who were deceived by a developer lying about what features their game has. Good for you if you saw through it. Snake oil salesmen can't fool everyone.

Speely

Banned
Here is what I know:

You knew EXACTLY what the game would be? Oh good for you since you knew how to NOT believe Sean Murray.

You are blaming those who got duped and defending the guy who lied.

So when you saw Sean Murray say that you can play with your friends and run into other players in the game you knew he was lying, but just didn't care?

I understand that by saying that it was so remote a possibility to be practically impossible that was a signal that it was not supported in gameplay. Meaning this - even if two people were in the same spot in the game and could see each other, in terms of gameplay it changed absolutely nothing because there was zero possibility of interaction.

What you thought that because you could "see" each other then you could do PvP or what? I mean other than seeing something in a physical space, there was no gameplay potential. The ships move so goddamn fast that you couldn't even follow anyone in your ship, so it would be limited to just walking around on the ground on a planet. Again, zero gameplay implications.

So when Sean Murray said it was possible, I went through all the scenarios I just listed (and then some) and thought, who gives a shit?

Somehow other gamers didn't have enough game design background to perform the same analysis.

for those who feel people are 'robbing' the developers for getting a refund for this broken, falsely advertised product, what is the maximum amount of playtime you would consider acceptable for a refund before you starting calling people 'sleazy thieves' lol. I'm honestly curious.

Well let's see, randomengine said in a few posts that:

-Anyone who expected anything more than a boring slog (sorry, "chill exploration") is a stupid idiot.
-Something is wrong with your brain if you got more from the interviews other than exactly what we got.
-You're playing the game wrong if you're not having a good time.
-He has game design background so he automatically knew that Sean never intended to have multiplayer in the first place, despite hinting so. It's okay, maybe one day you'll have enough intelligence to understand "game designer speak".

You knew EXACTLY what the game would be? Oh good for you since you knew how to NOT believe Sean Murray.

You are blaming those who got duped and defending the guy who lied.

Yeah, I had experience with Spore. I am a computer scientist and was training to be a game designer. I know what procedural generation is. I know the limitations of it, the crazy weird broken shit that it can generate.

After being there for the launch of Spore, I am actually pretty impressed with what Hello Games was able to accomplish. I think if anything, the gaming public just doesn't understand procedural generation and how it works and the limitations of content generation using it when compared to more scripted content.

If you have a team of what 10-14 guys and you say you are using procedural generation to make as many planets as they did. There would be very little scripted elements. Did people actually believe there would be a bunch of scripted elements throughout this game?

I understand that by saying that it was so remote a possibility to be practically impossible that was a signal that it was not supported in gameplay. Meaning this - even if two people were in the same spot in the game and could see each other, in terms of gameplay it changed absolutely nothing because there was zero possibility of interaction.

What you thought that because you could "see" each other then you could do PvP or what? I mean other than seeing something in a physical space, there was no gameplay potential. The ships move so goddamn fast that you couldn't even follow anyone in your ship, so it would be limited to just walking around on the ground on a planet. Again, zero gameplay implications.

So when Sean Murray said it was possible, I went through all the scenarios I just listed (and then some) and thought, who gives a shit?

Somehow other gamers didn't have enough game design background to perform the same analysis.

So do you think he said those lies because he knew people wouldn't believe him, or do you think he said those things because he knew lots of people would?

The fact he didn't succeed in deceiving you does not mean he didn't intend to deceive his audience, which he evidently succeeded in most cases. And do you think this behavior is praise worthy or should be condemned?

Yasumi

Banned

shrink.gif

Sasuga Randomengine. Guess we need to collectively improve our game design backgrounds or something, so we're not caught by outright lies.

Speely

Banned
Yeah, I had experience with Spore. I am a computer scientist and was training to be a game designer. I know what procedural generation is. I know the limitations of it, the crazy weird broken shit that it can generate.

After being there for the launch of Spore, I am actually pretty impressed with what Hello Games was able to accomplish. I think if anything, the gaming public just doesn't understand procedural generation and how it works and the limitations of content generation using it when compared to more scripted content.

If you have a team of what 10-14 guys and you say you are using procedural generation to make as many planets as they did. There would be very little scripted elements. Did people actually believe there would be a bunch of scripted elements throughout this game?

So those of us who aren't computer scientists just get screwed. Sounds like a good business model.

maybe by low interactive multiplayer sean murray really meant watching randomengine run hard defense & hype machine for the game in multiple threads over the span of a year.

hamchan

So those of us who aren't computer scientists just get screwed. Sounds like a good business model.

Gosh all you had to do was spend years of your life studying computer science and game design, then you wouldn't have been fooled by Sean Murray's deception! Somehow you didn't have this specialist knowledge, what is wrong with you!

Look it's clear randomengine wants to say he knew what to expect just on a surface level, but feels compelled to imply that he knew what aspects of the game were truth and lies based on pre-release interviews. Obviously he didn't know that planets wouldn't rotate, or that there were only three set alien races instead of tons of procedurally generated ones, or that the portals shown in videos would all do nothing, or that you couldn't fly very low to the ground, or that space was a skybox and you could never reach any suns.

Or that the game would crash every 20 minutes.

But he's at the point that he has to imply that he did know these things.

Here is what I know:

This makes absolutely no sense. You saw the videos and interviews showcasing or detailing all of the cut content and magically knew it was misleading, but you were also genre-saavy enough to feel confident that the product would be exactly what you wanted, despite the fact that it ended up primarily fitting into the survival genre and not the exploration genre (like Proteus, an actual chill exploration game)?

Look it's clear randomengine wants to say he knew what to expect just on a surface level, but feels compelled to imply that he knew what aspects of the game were truth and lies based on pre-release interviews. Obviously he didn't know that planets wouldn't rotate, or that there were only three set alien races instead of tons of procedurally generated ones, or that the portals shown in videos would all do nothing, or that you couldn't fly very low to the ground, or that space was a skybox and you could never reach any suns.

Or that the game would crash every 20 minutes.

But he's at the point that he has to imply that he did know these things.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ahh the good ol' "you're playing it wrong" defense. A classic.

Speely

Banned
This makes absolutely no sense. You saw the videos and interviews showcasing or detailing all of the cut content and magically knew it was misleading, but you were also genre-saavy enough to feel confident that the product would be exactly what you wanted, despite the fact that it ended up fitting into the survival genre and not the exploration sim genre (like Proteus, an actual chill exploration game)?

It's COMPUTER SCIENCE. You either get it or you don't.

Top Bottom