• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

legacyzero

Banned
For the new page since people seem to think consumers should put up with this shit:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

Yeah. I too had quite a few crashes on august 13th, a solid two weeks before 1.05.

I'd like to hear your experience since last Sunday. If you've had minimal crashes (And I've had zero) since Sunday, and you've gotten 50 hours out of it, I'd say you've maybe gamed the system a bit. But if Sony let you do it, well, then ThereItIs.gif.

I get it. Developers should never release a game in a crashy state. But they're a tiny group with a big complex game. Is that an excuse? Depends on who you talk to. But they've been chin deep in working on fixing the game (outside of their FUCKING FRUSTRATING SILENCE AND PATCH NOTES DAYS LATE), and have released like 4 patches.

I'd say the game is mostly fixed by now.

Now they just gotta patch in the pieces of the game they advertised, but forgot to include at launch.

tauroxd

So that 50hrs has no material value? C'mon... at some point you need to accept that it does.

Ok, let's see this:

Imagine you buy WoW vanilla and after 50 hours the game just crashes and crashed very 5 o 10 minutes, sure you enjoyed those first 50 hours, but the game it's far from finished and ytou have many many things to do but you can't do them because there is no way the game stop crashing every 5 or 10 minutes... Would you say you don't deserve a refund? It is the same thing with NMS, the game was advertised as practically inifinite, after 50 hours of playtime and just starting to travel it the game is far from over and you can't do what you were told the game let you do.

You are seeing the playtime alone and no the problem that the game have,

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, if you are in Europe shouldn't it be much easier for you to get a refund?
No, Sony is pretty harsh in Europe. They do what the laws want to the point and with the download and use of a product you lose any right for a refund afaik.
If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Blobbers

So that 50hrs has no material value? C'mon... at some point you need to accept that it does.

I find the parent post to all posts like this one to be "well you got something out of the game, so you owe them money"

Owe.

On the flip side then, wouldn't it also be true that when you buy their product, they owe you a game that is a full experience and that doesn't have bugs and crashes that prevent you from getting access to that full experience.

Some of these post need to shift a bit of blame on the devs as well, because best case scenario, a promise was broken on both sides. Why focus on the consumer and not the developer who failed to deliver the full product?

Wouldn't assume it would be any easier? Never tried before to be honest.

I mean that the EU has many laws in place in favor of the consumer that Sony has to abide by so it should be easier for you and you shouldn't get rejected. Here in the states it's ridiculous. Count yourself lucky.

Kyoufu

Yeah. I too had quite a few crashes on august 13th, a solid two weeks before 1.05.

I'd like to hear your experience since last Sunday. If you've had minimal crashes (And I've had zero) since Sunday, and you've gotten 50 hours out of it, I'd say you've maybe gamed the system a bit. But if Sony let you do it, well, then ThereItIs.gif.

I get it. Developers should never release a game in a crashy state. But they're a tiny group with a big complex game. Is that an excuse? Depends on who you talk to. But they've been chin deep in working on fixing the game (outside of their FUCKING FRUSTRATING SILENCE AND PATCH NOTES DAYS LATE), and have released like 4 patches.

I'd say the game is mostly fixed by now.

Now they just gotta patch in the pieces of the game they advertised, but forgot to include at launch.

My last experience with NMS was mining stacks of Emeril then crashing and losing those stacks because the game rolled back to my last save. That wasn't the first time it had happened. Very frustrating.

Protome

PSA filter is pretty funny for the thread title but the misspelling is driving me nuts. The fact that the OP's "Title Correction" has the exact same misspelling is even worse.

I also hope everyone who wants a refund gets it, although I do think the examples of playing it for tens of hours and wanting a refund are chancing it a bit (except the one where it became so crash ridden as to be unplayable.)

PSA filter is pretty funny for the thread title but the misspelling is driving me nuts. The fact that the OP's "Title Correction" has the exact same misspelling is even worse.

I also hope everyone who wants a refund gets it, although I do think the examples of playing it for tens of hours and wanting a refund are chancing it a bit (except the one where it became so crash ridden as to be unplayable.)

Sorry, I copied and pasted the Reddit thread title.

Backlogger

I wish it ran better but I really love the game. No intention of refunding it. All aboard the hate train though for everyone else I guess

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So what is the acceptable window? I'm seeking a refund right now and I played around 10-15 hours. Is that unacceptable as well? Where are we drawing this moral line here?

No "we" here. Personally I take a hardline attitude where even the 2 hour window is excessive in my view.

I say, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, either way its just a game not something with a functional imperative like meds for a sick child.

You paid for the show. Take responsibility for that decision, and certainly don't expect sympathy from everyone else.

sazzy

I've had more fun watching the tragedy of this game unfold than I had in the 3 hours I played the game (which I got refunded).

Or... maybe all this IS the game lol...

No "we" here. Personally I take a hardline attitude where even the 2 hour window is excessive in my view.

I say, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, either way its just a game not something with a functional imperative like meds for a sick child.

You paid for the show. Take responsibility for that decision, and certainly don't expect sympathy from everyone else.

Buying consumer products shouldn't be a gamble

Jonm1010

Banned

Unethical corporations would love to have 320 million of you in this country.

Falifax

I definitely agree. I mean, you certainly get the point within 10 hrs.

But what if you want to play another 50 hours but the game doesn't let you because of frequent crashes.

I'd actually be pissed if it was a game with a proper story and bugs would prevent me from finishing it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

So no consumer rights for flawed products, got ya!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know what kind of morality or principles you think you're holding high but this is just being a dumb consumer.

Euphor!a

Banned

Very rarely do I legitimately laugh at a post. thanks.

Kuraudo

Banned
"Hey guys, Sony agreed that the product they sold me was faulty and gave me a refund."

"OMG you had no right asking Sony for a refund!"

This is such bullshit. You are basically saying that it is ok to sell people a broken product and its the fault of the consumer for buying a brand new product and expecting it to function properly. That buying things are taking a chance. Fuck that. The shit should at least work. The quality is another matter. Basic functionality is a requirement if you intend to sell a product.

Maybe you are joking tho. I cant tell anymore.

Briarios

I don't know what kind of morality or principles you think you're holding high but this is just being a dumb consumer.

No, it means he has ethics. Don't confuse being able to game the system as equating to morality. Just because you can do things, it doesn't mean you should.

Ultryx

Just got my email back from Steam again. It's literally like it's fucking automated to tell you to fuck off.

"Policy of 2 hour playtime." No refund.

Guys, video games aren't some kind of special situation. If your TV or kettle stopped working after 50 hrs you'd be pissed, and rightly so, because they've sold you a faulty product.

I love the new Steam refund system as it punishes developers who release buggy piles of shit and expect consumers to take it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
No, it means he has ethics. Don't confuse being able to game the system as equating to morality. Just because you can do things, it doesn't mean you should.
It's not "gaming" the system to request a refund for a broken product. He's saying if you buy something that breaks, you should just suck it up because sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not.

Thanks for making the stupidest post I've seen this year and on gaf in general.

I hope everything you own breaks down after 50 hours and you never get a refund.

Interesting that even Sony is allowing refunds. I guess that the potential for an actual lawsuit over this shit is enough that they'd rather just cover their own asses and allow refunds for everyone who wants one.

Kalnos

Banned
Just got my email back from Steam again. It's literally like it's fucking automated to tell you to fuck off.

"Policy of 2 hour playtime." No refund.

It's definitely automated on Steam, pretty sure Sony just made their own decision due to excessive crashing on the 50 hour case.

And where are the ethics of a company knowingly and willingly selling a sub-par product based on a web of lies spun over the period of 2-3 years?

No, Sony is pretty harsh in Europe. They do what the laws want to the point and with the download and use of a product you lose any right for a refund afaik.
If I'm wrong someone correct me.

I don't really know, I don't live in Europe, I had just always heard that the Europe has a lot of laws in place in favor of the consumer in instances like this. I am a business owner and we do ship internationally, but since we don't run our business like scumbags and we have a satisfaction guaranteed policy we never deal with any of the laws and such that often if at all.

Edit: Just saw this.

I'm going to re submit my refund request after reading this: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Worth a read if you're in th UK.

gai_shain

well this is straight up stupid and working against your own interest as a consumer. Why would you put corporations ahead of yourself?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, fifty hours and his problems got worse. Regardless though, even if they didn't I still think it would be justified if he had consistent crashes and bugs. A product should work out of the gate. People have different tolerances for waiting for their product to be fixed. He reached his.

If you believe that a product should work out of the gate, then you're not going to log 50hrs of game time dealing with something that's "buggy and crashes consistently". You're going to get your money back. Not play the shit out of the game, and then return it when you've had your fill.

0racle

I think sony and steam probably have provisions specifically for this game. Even they know the product is violates TOS for consumer protection.

Why do you want a system which benefits the company instead of yourself?

Shang

I bought the game on the first day and could not have been more unimpressed for various reasons. I've been away on a trip, but I think I'm gonna try to get a refund when I get home.

Top Bottom