• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, this is the best looking in game water ever I think...

MrparisSM

Banned
The water effects look decent. But I take it you've never played Crimson Skies or Ninja Gaiden? :D I've heard that SM:sunshine has awesome water aswell...

The water particles might not be the best we've seen, but the gorgeous wave physics make it look very real. Kudos to Akella, I've wondered what they were making after Pirates of the Caribbean. I am definitely ready to give this game a try if they release a demo.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MrparisSM said:
The water effects look decent. But I take it you've never played Crimson Skies or Ninja Gaiden? :D I've heard that SM:sunshine has awesome water aswell...

I've played all those, they are good but have that weird "jello" look to them, this water really looks pretty damn close to the real deal.

shpankey

not an idiot
anyone remember that thread where the guy was hating on the water in a pic where it turned out the pic was actualy a photo of a plane flying of real water? :lol that rocked

p.s. i agree with the thread starter, this is definately the best water in a game i've seen yet, and completely obliterates Ninja Gaiden/Mario Sunshine/Crimson Skies water (by a freaking mile no less!).

Screenboy

shpankey said:
anyone remember that thread where the guy was hating on the water in a pic where it turned out the pic was actualy a photo of a plane flying of real water? :lol that rocked

:lol

Haha, yeah I remember that!

:lol I hope it was archived.

-SB

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Hahah, yeah, I remember Shpankey :). Actually, some time ago somebody posted a link to a trailer of some sub-game. The water in that demo was just as impressive in this trailer, maybe even better.

Screenboy

Rei_Toei said:
Hahah, yeah, I remember Shpankey :). Actually, some time ago somebody posted a link to a trailer of some sub-game. The water in that demo was just as impressive in this trailer, maybe even better.

I downloaded the trailer for that Sub one, and I think the water looks better in the Boat game than the Sub game.

-SB

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Drakken said:
Whoa, neat. So, this game's just a naval combat sim? Or something?

Looks like it, its being made by the guys who made Sea Dogs/Pirates of the Caribbean. Best part of those 2 games was the naval combat, had a really cool damage model, so this might end up being kinda fun.

DCX

DCX
ICO has some pretty damn good water around the windmill, Bloodwake and Quantum Redshift and Buldur's Gate for PS2 has some pretty good water also.

DCX

Matlock

Banned
I'm still citing Super Mario Sunshine as having the best water ever, although this does look great (if not a bit...I dunno, dead).

shpankey said:

p.s. i agree with the thread starter, this is definately the best water in a game i've seen yet, and completely obliterates Ninja Gaiden/Mario Sunshine/Crimson Skies water (by a freaking mile no less!).

And ironincally that's the problem with most games that people say have "Great" water: It likes like water from an airplane. There are some games that have so many effects, and so much shine, you'd swear the developer never spent a single moment standing at an actual body of water and their only reference point was the time them flew over a lake/ocean. It's one of my real pet peave's about water this generation. That said, the water looks great. There are a couple section's where the shine is beginning to border on unnatural, but definetely terrific.

Top Bottom