• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Bullet Club

Banned
AscaMIV.jpg

Bullet Club

Banned
CM Punk and Tony Khan spoke with the media after First Dance was over:

-CM Punk doesn't want to disclose how long his deal is. "AEW, it feels like everyone shows up to have a good time. You don’t need to know the details of my deal. I’m not here part time."

-Tony Khan agrees & says it isn't short term or part-time

-CM Punk says he's Been talking to Tony Khan for probably a year and a half about this. "Some girls are easy to get into bed; I am not. I need to be wined and dined."

-Punk says the more people Tony employed that he knew, the more he would ask them things about AEW.

-He says he wasn't in a hurry to sign due to the pandemic, and he knew he couldn't debut with out people in the building. Says a lot of happy accidents along the way happened to make this possible.

-Punk is asked about how he's been getting ready for this (and All Out) ... he says he can see the headlines now, but he hasn't been doing dedicated training. He says he trains, but no new tricks. He wants people to see him as the same dude.

-Punk is asked to compare tonight to MITB 2011. He says tonight felt more organic. Everything before this felt like a fight that squeezed the life out of him, but this was a joyful moment. It didn't need too much input, it's pro wrestling and needed to be real.

-CM Punk on why he joined AEW over returning to WWE:

"I knew that if I died or got hurt(in the WWE), no one would care. With AEW, it reminded me of places I used to love, where it's about the spirit of the thing... AEW doesn't feel like a house, it feels like a home."

-CM Punk hasn't seen Dark or Elevation and doesn't really use Youtube. He says he still watches DVDs. He feels like Terry Funk(in ECW) & moving forward he will watch everything.

-Punk says the Darby Allin program came from Tony khan and it started from a tweet Punk put out awhile back. Punk says if he was a teenager again Darby would be his favorite wrestler. Then puts over Britt Baker as being great.

-Punk is asked about the "happy accidents". He says nothing was forced. He says that being here for the first time he observed that "nobody is standing on their own dick" and that when its right it's right. You don't need 16 cooks in the kitchen..

-Punk says that there is a time and place to be deadly serious about this business. Says that the people in charge back here, letting people make their own mistakes and not punish you. He feels nothing but joy backstage in AEW & everyone in the back here wants everyone to succeed.

-CM Punk says AEW didn't have to prove anything to him, it was more about him being open to it. He wanted to dip his toes in with WWE Backstage. He blames Renee Paquette for him returning to wrestling because she encouraged him to do Backstage.

-Tony Khan says that he and CM Punk have been in talks for nearly two years, exchanging ideas, talking about plans, and planning out the First Dance at the United Center in Chicago and Tony would have never brought Punk in without Fans to witness it.

-CM Punk and Tony Khan laughed and said this was the worst kept secret of all time. Punk told his wife, and just told other people he couldn't talk about it.

-CM Punk was not hidden backstage tonight at AEW Rampage. He was backstage socializing with the roster before the show.

-CM Punk said that the roster, and people around AEW not saying anything about Brodie Lee's illness before his passing made a big impression on him.

-CM Punk says he is sure he'll do a bit of everything, like commentary, wrestling, and wants to give back to wrestling. He wasn't in the place to wrestle for the last few years, and wasn't able to give back for years.

-Punk says he's excited to work with Pillman, Will Hobbs, Darby Allin, Jon Moxley, Young Bucks, Kenny Omega and (probably) others who are coming in... there's dream situations that people can be excited about.

-Punk jokes that "he doesn't know who else is coming in". But maybe Tony does, since he's the boss.

-Sting told CM Punk he was excited to work with him, and wished he could have in his prime.

-Louis Dangoor asks about AEW working with IMPACT and NJPW, and asks punk if he is looking to work with other promotions or focus on AEW.

-Punk says if Tony wants him to go do the G1, he will do it. He will do whatever Tony wants. If he wants him to do Impact, or whatever he will. Tony gets pole position. But says he just jumped into the pool. but he is an AEW guy.

Ya know, I haven't been real big on AEW, but that was an incredible moment. I might have to start paying more attention to AEW, especially if they also sign Daniel Bryan (or Bryan Danielson, as he'll likely be called) like all the rumors are saying.

I also think Punk or Bryan should take the title off of Kenny Omega. You could argue that it's not right for ex WWE guys to win titles so soon after their debut, but fuck it honestly. Punk and Bryan are far bigger stars than Twinkletoes McFingerbang could ever hope to be, now matter how many 12 star Tokyo Dome matches he wrestles.

DKehoe

What an incredible moment. The reaction from the crowd, the emotion from Punk. Loved it

Ya know, I haven't been real big on AEW, but that was an incredible moment. I might have to start paying more attention to AEW, especially if they also sign Daniel Bryan (or Bryan Danielson, as he'll likely be called) like all the rumors are saying.

I also think Punk or Bryan should take the title off of Kenny Omega. You could argue that it's not right for ex WWE guys to win titles so soon after their debut, but fuck it honestly. Punk and Bryan are far bigger stars than Twinkletoes McFingerbang could ever hope to be, now matter how many 12 star Tokyo Dome matches he wrestles.
I still think you hold off and have Adam Page win it. I don't think there's any rush to get it off Omega. You can have Punk and Danielson challenge for it and lose. They don't need it. The build up has been for Page and I think that would mean more.

DKehoe

So Punk was around the time I didn’t watch any wrestling. How good is he ?
One of the best promos in the world. Not an incredible athlete but has good matches. In 2004 he and Samoa Joe in ROH was the first American match since 1997 to receive 5 stars in the Observer. He also got one for his match against Cena in 2011, which is right up there as one of the best matches in WWE history. His Wrestlemania match with Undertaker is considered to be one of Taker's best matches. He's not wrestled in a while so we'll see how he does in the ring. But he was never someone who relied on being really athletic, more about working smarter. So he may do better than others would after such a long time away.

Edit: To give you an idea of Punk as a promo, here he is outclassing The Rock:

Last edited:

dave_d

He's a great promo and very good at creating memorable angles. He's not a great technical wrestler but he has good matches.

Pretty much. The problem with Punk isn't Punk, it's his fans. They are such utter shills if you listen to them you'd think he's the greatest in ring talent ever, almost a Flair and Steamboat combined. (They will swallow anything he says.)

DKehoe

Pretty much. The problem with Punk isn't Punk, it's his fans. They are such utter shills if you listen to them you'd think he's the greatest in ring talent ever, almost a Flair and Steamboat combined. (They will swallow anything he says.)
There's a lot of people out there who took the "best in the world" thing way too literally and kept insisting on it years after he had retired.

dave_d

There's a lot of people out there who took the "best in the world" thing way too literally and kept insisting on it years after he had retired.
So very true. I mean there's more than one way to be good in the ring. You can be super athletic talent like Ricochet that does mind blowing moves in the ring. On the other hand you can be like Jerry Lawler who knows exactly what to do and when to get the fans completely into it and white hot. (Jerry is definitely good at that.) Like you say, so many of his fans implied he was closer to a Ricochet, IE a super athletic mind blowing in the ring talent when he totally wasn't. (Hell, some of them honestly believed he had a legit martial arts background and could take Brock Lesnar if it was real when he can barely throw a high kick. Bilge like that always made him hard to take.)

rkofan87

Gold Member
(Not sure quite how much you know so I'll try and cover it all)

Longtime very close friends who met in wrestling school and broke into the industry together. Frequently worked together as opponents and partners across the indys, most notably in ROH. Punk left to go to WWE and Cabana stayed on the indies (excluding a brief run in WWE that didn't amount to much). The two stayed close throughout that time and Punk even gave him a shout-out during the pipebomb promo.

After Punk left WWE his infamous big interview talking about why he did so was on Cabana's podcast. Cabana was a pioneer in the wrestling podcast genre and as close friends it made sense for that to be where Punk talked about it all. The WWE doctor that Punk talked about as being incompetent sued the pair of them for the podcast (Punk for what he said and Cabana for broadcasting it). The doctor was almost certainly being financially backed by WWE, so with that kind of resources it's a pretty serious deal and was done to fuck with Punk, Cabana just happened to be dragged into it.

Punk and Cabana then had a falling out over legal fees. Cabana said Punk had said he would cover everything, and apparently had a text from Punk saying so. Punk was doing so for about a year but then pulled his financial support for Cabana and insisted he start contributing to it. I'm not sure if this has been 100% confirmed as the reason why but there was speculation Punk got pissed at Cabana because he visited some friends backstage at a WWE taping and Punk thought that may have jeopardised their case and that's what made him do it.

Cabana then had around $200,000 in his own legal fees from having to get his own lawyer so sued Punk to get him to pay it as Punk had apparently promised. Punk then counter-sued Cabana to get him to pay towards the $1.2 million in legal fees that Punk had built up. In 2019 they ended up settling the suit and unfortunately still seem to be on bad terms.

The exact details of what caused the fallout are up in the air. It's just sad to see former best friends fall out like that.
i love cm but this makes him look like a petty bitch.

rkofan87

Gold Member

i i stopped watching got way behind and just gave up but i am back now that cm hear.
now come on aew get on streaming so i can catch up on all this shit.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Damn. AEWs return of CM Punk gave me chills. Something that i was missing from WWE a long time.

Normally we should expect stuff like this from marketleader in the business.... but WWE is just a boring entertainment product now.

dave_d

They didn't let him out it ran out in 30 like you said.
I heard some were granted or asking for it to end sooner... not sure who though?
Supposedly the deal is that wrestlers have a 30 day clause if they're in NXT and that gets bumped up to 90 days when they go to the main roster. Apparently they forgot to do that for Black.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Vince. Please just let Shane or Stephanie or Hunter take over.

AEW have come on leaps and bounds for the look and feel of the show. That rampage show looks really well produced. Nice camera work. Crowd sounds etc. It just looks so polished.

It just looks like a lot of care is going into the show.
the whole rampage show just gives me smack down vibes. The live crowd just tops it off.
AEW have gone from looking like the second choice in wrestling to honestly they look on par With some big WWE shows, I think they will surpass WWE in that regards.

or is it just me. I feel the production values etc have vastly improved. They don’t look like a cheap alternative. Contrary.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Vince. Please just let Shane or Stephanie or Hunter take over.

AEW have come on leaps and bounds for the look and feel of the show. That rampage show looks really well produced. Nice camera work. Crowd sounds etc. It just looks so polished.

the whole rampage show just gives me smack down vibes. The live crowd just tops it off.
AEW have gone from looking like the second choice in wrestling to honestly they look on par With some big WWE shows, I think they will surpass WWE in that regards.

or is it just me. I feel the production values etc have vastly improved. They don’t look like a cheap alternative. Contrary.

There is a problem with that:

1. Vince will never let a woman take over not eben his own daughter.

2. Vince thinks that Hunter us bad at financial managment so not good enough for being the CEO. Now with all people blaming Hunter for the NXT failure its just getting worse.

3. Shane McMahon is a failure in Vince McMahons eyes so his own son is out of the picture as well

jufonuk

not tag worthy
There is a problem with that:

1. Vince will never let a woman take over not eben his own daughter.

2. Vince thinks that Hunter us bad at financial managment so not good enough for being the CEO. Now with all people blaming Hunter for the NXT failure its just getting worse.

3. Shane McMahon is a failure in Vince McMahons eyes so his own son is out of the picture as well
So it really is Vince just screwing up all he built because he has just gotten too power hungry and stubborn. Plus despite ruling the roost he is stuck in a rut and refuses to change.

Dthomp

Wow, I didn’t even realize how much I missed Punk til seeing the show. That stretch around mitb with him is what kept me from giving up wrestling altogether and when he left the only thing that kept me watching was Bryan. It’s gonna be a fun ride for me as a fan as 3 of my current favorites will all be in one company with Bryan, Punk and Kenny

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wow, I didn’t even realize how much I missed Punk til seeing the show. That stretch around mitb with him is what kept me from giving up wrestling altogether and when he left the only thing that kept me watching was Bryan. It’s gonna be a fun ride for me as a fan as 3 of my current favorites will all be in one company with Bryan, Punk and Kenny
Bryan is coming to AEW?
I hope Adam Cole also.

Agent X

No, it's not just you. There has been a gradual, but noticeable improvement in their production quality over the last two years. I don't think they're quite at WWE level yet, but WWE is a much larger organization, which has had about 40 years to refine their television product. AEW has come a long way in a remarkably short time on this planet.

Top Bottom