• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogosox82

Is anyone going to defend the burial of the Wyatts? I wanna hear it. There has to be someone. It's the Internet after all.
Show yourself.

I won't defend but I'll just say what did you think was going to happen? What feud or matches have the Wyatts won that would make you believe that anything other than what happened was going to happen? At least Rock put them over on the mic a little bit so there's that. If you want to blame someone, blame creative and the god awful way they have booked the Wyatts the last 2 years.

Lothars

No problems with Ambrose losing what so ever. People would have to be near crazy to expect Ambrose to win. What I was concern about was how Ambrose would lose and how much would he go down fighting. In that respect, I was incredibly disappointed for everything that happened could have been done in a Smackdown show.
That's a good point but Brock is so boring and has been since he got back. He looks unstoppable but Ambrose doesn't look any better than he did before the match and it was just another piece of dissapointment for this wrestlemania.

People are getting a bit defensive.

As a one off show it was fine, enjoyable even.

With the context going in and the lack of anything exciting coming out, it has a shit tonne of baggage that people who watch regularly have issue with.

When most of your wrestling watching year is internally "at least Wrestlemania will be good/at least Wrestlemania will pay this off/at least that cool new guy will get a Wrestlemania moment/at least at Wrestlemania they will change story direction" then tonight is a bit of a disaster.

Sure seeing HBK and The Rock is great and live even better but when they are 3 weeks away from a September pay-per-view it will mean fuck all.

Cagey

Banned
Friend dream, was HHH/Roman not a pretty solid match that people are weirdly shitting on? The ending needed another sequence or two, but the bulk of the match was actual in-ring storytelling.

The match was very HHH, for better or worse. The HHH formula.

The pacing was too slow for the inevitable payoff, needing another sequence or two like you noted.

A fine match. Not great, not bad, and with the correct result.

Verendus

Banned
reigns_victory_quick_image--6221737ca912bdff28c4c59c1491f32d.jpg
00bDprO.gif

Ambrose losing is correct, but the match should have been Ambrose getting back up over and over and over again until Brock finally has to pull out something big to keep him down, but winding up weirdly respecting the guy at the end. What we got was a straight-up Ambrose burial, which is kinda silly considering both his character and his relatively high position in the overall roster.

hamchan

Really. REALLY?

Jericho goes over AJ Styles after kicking out of the Styles Clash, a finisher that should be protected to hell and back because it looks difficult and brutal, in what should have been the culmination of their months long feud.

League of Nations goes over New Day, because the prime moment to rocket them to the stars is better spent putting over two guys who have been around forever and can't get over, one guy who's probably leaving soon, and one cool up and comer. Then all of these people get beat down by three people who haven't wrestled in years, one of them in over a decade, and who won't be on Raw tomorrow.

Ambrose/Lesnar after hyper amounts of hype with buildup across both shows is a short stinker with some sticks and chairs. Ambrose loses after one F5, making his ironman claims look dumb as fuck.

A new women's championship belt is unveiled, the time of real women wrestlers is finally here! Except the match was decided by a very old man who looks drunk all the time.

Shane o' Mac/Undertaker was a slow as molasses match with one really cool spot. And that one really cool spot was basically just "oops, I missed". The ending itself was ok, I guess? Nothing special though, just a regular Taker match ending.

Rock buried the Wyatts in six seconds.

Trips/Roman ends the same way literally every fucking Roman match ends, with a result that ends with Wrestlemania's 100 (actually 85) thousand strong crowd booing the biggest wrestling event ever.

It was fucking awful.

This is a very nice summary.

dream

Friend dream, was HHH/Roman not a pretty solid match that people are weirdly shitting on? The ending needed another sequence or two, but the bulk of the match was actual in-ring storytelling and played to each guy's strengths. HHH has slowly developed into one of the best overall wrestlers in the company in the last few years.

I feel like that match shows HHH's influences: 70s Mid-Atlantic and 1983 NWA. The first 3/4 of the match was basically a classic Flair vs Race match.

So to answer your question, I think it was a solid match in front of the wrong crowd.

He isn't over. I guess the 70,000+ who were willing to pay the highest prices for a WWE event are internet smarks too.

Let me just say that there were signs at the merch stand saying that Xl and XXL shirts were in limited quantities. Gives you an idea of how many smarks were in the crowd.

Bronx-Man

Banned
This is the Internet, friend.

Around these parts, we like the Wyatts a lot and think the WWE has buried Bray in all of his feuds.

We also love Cesaro and Ambrose and wish the WWE would stop burying them. Hell, we even think Ambrose is a good wrestler! We want Big Show and Kane to retire.

We do like anyone from NXT on the main roster, but if you're in NXT, then you need to have done time on the indies or Japan or else we hate you. (see: Baron Corbin)

We liked The Rock in the 90s but we think he's corny now and doesn't have arms long enough to box with God (RIP CM Punk).

Only gimmicks disagree.
Now that's what I call a pipebomb.

Ambrose losing is correct, but the match should have been Ambrose getting back up over and over and over again until Brock finally has to pull out something big to keep him down, but winding up weirdly respecting the guy at the end. What we got was a straight-up Ambrose burial, which is kinda silly considering both his character and his relatively high position in the overall roster.

I forgot that match even happened. That might even be more bizarre than New Day getting kinda shitted on. I'm not an Ambrose fan but dude clearly is over and his character is made for that kind of rough match.

The match was very HHH, for better or worse. The HHH formula.

The pacing was too slow for the inevitable payoff, needing another sequence or two like you noted.

A fine match. Not great, not bad, and with the correct result.

It was definitely the wrong way to end such a long, weird, bad show, and there needed to be a ramp-up in the pace and action at the end as Reigns slowly took control of the match from the wily veteran (hence another sequence or two), but the bulk of it was solid wrassles.

Sanjuro

We can all agree.

It was better than the actual "Written In The Stars, A Million Miles Away" Mania?

It was one of the weakest on paper, but overall wasn't completely awful. There wasn't a match that knocked it out of the park. Few solid matches though.

Rule #1 of Wrestling GAF: Anyone who dislikes something or someone I like is obviously "working" a "gimmick."

I noticed that today. Good portion of the posters are in fantasyland. Lot of them just reverted to some sort of "reasoning" for why they are in the minority.

NoRéN

This is the Internet, friend.

Around these parts, we like the Wyatts a lot and think the WWE has buried Bray in all of his feuds.

We also love Cesaro and Ambrose and wish the WWE would stop burying them. Hell, we even think Ambrose is a good wrestler! We want Big Show and Kane to retire.

We do like anyone from NXT on the main roster, but if you're in NXT, then you need to have done time on the indies or Japan or else we hate you. (see: Baron Corbin)

We liked The Rock in the 90s but we think he's corny now and doesn't have arms long enough to box with God (RIP CM Punk).

Only gimmicks disagree.

Bravo.

Overall i thought it was a solid Mania but went on too long. 4.5 hours and some matches still felt short. WTF?

-HIAC was great but honestly the outside stuff saved it. The thought of a short Shane run sounded so great. :(
-Lesnar/Dean was way disappointing. Felt too short, and every good spot was botched.
-IC title was great but Ryder fucking sucks. It's not 2012. He's not over.
-Womans match was perfect.
-boring tag match saved by stunners.
-Aj/Jericho was ok. Finish didn't bother me because it's a lame feud anyway.
-Roman/H was beyond garbage. Top 3 bad main events with ease. No hype, no crowd, and no entertainment. Minus 5 stars.

I had a big problem with Charlotte and Jericho winning. The former was unexpected in a bad way, like "they're doing this...again?!". she's a good wrestler though, all 3 women are but it was totally Sasha or Becky's time for a bit.

IC Ladder match freaking rocked. they all did their part, even the jobbers. And it was worth it for Sami/Owens and Sami doing that awesome spot through the ladder and over the ropes. such a narrow window and he hit it damn good. Sami's pretty much man of the weekend.

Everything else sucked ass (well i liked baron corbin winning and seeing austin, foley and hbk). I can't believe shane lost, the promise of an exciting RAW storyline is squashed. And what's worse is that there was no story in the match. It was just a long drawn out hell in a cell. if not any exciting run-ins to help shane then at least let vince mcmahon come out at the end and mock his son. not even that. they didn't even let the dude hit taker from the top jump smh. terrible.

another terrible decision: dragging out the Roman fight after he speared stephanie. That was the one moment where he got a great response. He could have gone heel after that too. But nah they drag the match out to give him back his boos. Even the smarks in the theater I was in started clapping and cheering when he speared Stephanie lmao. But it was back to boos soon after.

highlight of the night aside from the ladder match was hearing a kid cry when zack ryder won. that was hilarious.

Trojan X

Banned
That's a good point but Brock is so boring and has been since he got back. He looks unstoppable but Ambrose doesn't look any better than he did before the match and it was just another piece of dissapointment for this wrestlemania.

Really? What about those 3-way bouts with Brock, Cena, Seth, and even the madness with Reigns and so on? Did they bore you too?

I think the issue could be the suplex machine angle that vince pushed on brock. Brock use to be a super all rounder but since they started the suplex city narrative, he has been focused on doing that on every bout he has been featured in thus making you tired of seeing it.

What do you think? What do you really think and feel?

mreddie

It was one of the weakest on paper, but overall wasn't completely awful. There wasn't a match that knocked it out of the park. Few solid matches though.

I noticed that today. Good portion of the posters are in fantasyland. Lot of them just reverted to some sort of "reasoning" for why they are in the minority.

Again, the first 2 hours were the highlight, while 27...god I can't remember 27.

I feel like that match shows HHH's influences: 70s Mid-Atlantic and 1983 NWA. The first 3/4 of the match was basically a classic Flair vs Race match.

So to answer your question, I think it was a solid match in front of the wrong crowd.

Absolutely it was the wrong crowd, but I greatly appreciate what a student of the craft HHH is. Two years ago, he put on basically a 2002 RoH match/WWE match hybrid with Daniel Bryan, last year he put on that weird kabuki reenactment of a half-remembered Attitude Era with Sting, this year he did a classic NWA match, etc.

I'd love to see HHH vs. Nakamura, actually, was what I was thinking. Nakamura's powerful strikes and unpredictability vs. HHH's psychological, no-nonsense, no wasted effort strikes would probably be pretty damn good wrassles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom