• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_inline_o5381qw2UD1tfk9hp_500.gif

jonjonaug

I feel like that match shows HHH's influences: 70s Mid-Atlantic and 1983 NWA. The first 3/4 of the match was basically a classic Flair vs Race match.

So to answer your question, I think it was a solid match in front of the wrong crowd.

The ending and outcome sucked, but if you take away the camerawork and the crowd reactions and Reigns not being able to sell and that spot with Steph in the middle then the match was decent enough for what it was.

But then you're left with a match HHH could have had with basically anyone of Reigns' build. Still nothing special, definitely not WM main event worthy.

Dr.Social

Banned
Did seem to anyone else that Shane did the Ironman thing way better than Ambrose?
Considering he took way more abuse and gave a thumbs up from the stretcher

dream

Did seem to anyone else that Shane did the Ironman thing way better than Ambrose?

I think Shane does everything Dean Ambrose does way better. It's a shame he's not a full-timer.

Sanjuro

If you haven't watched Zayn vs. Nakamura on Friday night, you most definitely missed something this weekend.

Most people miss NXT.

Is that the only match worth watching from the event?

Yeah. He actually did. Tonight kind of proved how off point Ambrose really is.

Lothars

Really? What about those 3-way bouts with Brock, Cena, Seth, and even the madness with Reigns and so on? Did they bore you too?

I think the issue could be the suplex machine angle that vince pushed on brock. Brock use to be a super all rounder but since they started the suplex city narrative, he has been focused on doing that on every bout he has been featured in thus making you tired of seeing it.

What do you think? What do you really think and feel?
I've been tired of Brock as soon as he was back, He was not entertaining when he beat taker at wrestlemania and he's even more boring now. I use to be a big brock lesner fan but since he's been back. He's a waste of space basically looking unstoppable and not doing anything special in any match he's been in. I wish he would finally put someone over and retire from WWE since they wasted the streak on him and have done nothing of note with him since.

It very well could partially be suplex machine angle but I dunno.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Ambrose losing is correct, but the match should have been Ambrose getting back up over and over and over again until Brock finally has to pull out something big to keep him down, but winding up weirdly respecting the guy at the end. What we got was a straight-up Ambrose burial, which is kinda silly considering both his character and his relatively high position in the overall roster.

I feel he should have won, winning for brock does nothing since he is a part timer. Next time he is back he will wreck shit up again but with someone else. Ambrose should have won, then tomorrow have reigns turn heel on ambrose, next ppv would be ambrose and reigns. Reigns can say he carried ambrose etc. Ambrose touts that he defeated the beast incarnate.

yeah way better.

also this was my friend's first ever wrestling show/event and the only thing he seemed to dislike was dean ambrose and his cornball gimmick. it did not work here as usual....except this time it looked worse when it shared airtime with shane telling taker to bring it.

shane...man the dream is dead. that could have been an epic match of run-ins and drama.

jonjonaug

Thing is that Ambrose has been in more brutal matches than that HIAC match. The booking for Lesnar/Ambrose was just baffling.

hamchan

Ambrose losing is correct, but the match should have been Ambrose getting back up over and over and over again until Brock finally has to pull out something big to keep him down, but winding up weirdly respecting the guy at the end. What we got was a straight-up Ambrose burial, which is kinda silly considering both his character and his relatively high position in the overall roster.

Lesnar vs Dean match was just baffling really.

You have Lesnar, a star attraction who you're paying big bucks for and Dean, a face who is actually over with the crowd.

You build it up over weeks and weeks.

And you give the fans the bad, short match that we got?

For me Dean was the "burial" of the night, all that shit he talked about being the iron man, having the kill him to beat, the buildup with the weapons, and he goes out like a chump.

Shane is a better Dean Ambrose than Dean Ambrose

yeah way better.

also this was my friend's first ever wrestling show/event and the only thing he seemed to dislike was dean ambrose and his cornball gimmick. it did not work here as usual....except this time it looked worse when it shared airtime with shane telling taker to bring it.

shane...man the dream is dead. that could have been an epic match of run-ins and drama.

Yeah if ever a match could have used a dusty finish it was that one. Thats the sad part, soon most of the old bookers who can book will be dead.

Brian Pillman came across as a loose canon. Ambrose is a crazy because he sticks his tongue out a lot and needs rogaine?

Trojan X

Banned
Most people miss NXT.

Is that the only match worth watching from the event?

Yeah. He actually did. Tonight kind of proved how off point Ambrose really is.

HELL NO! Practically NXT in its entirety was awesome!!! The only slightly underwhelming match was Austin Aries vs Corbin but even that was solid.

Sanjuro

The entire show was great. Far better than WM.

Are there a couple matches or particular ones worth watching?

NXT isn't something really to follow. If it was a priority, I wish they did a better job streamlining the stars that mattered. However, that might be the point entirely.

Cagey

Banned
Ambrose has no business being in a match with Brock Lesnar for more than a handful of minutes, extended only a few more minutes with weapons.

A 20 minute Lesnar/Ambrose match lowers Lesnar down to the level of a standard professional wrestler, which is contrary to his "above all this fake bullshit" character.

jonjonaug

Lesnar vs Dean match was just baffling really.

You have Lesnar, a star attraction who you're paying big bucks for and Dean, a face who is actually over with the crowd.

You build it up over weeks and weeks.

And you give the fans the bad, short match that we got?

It sort of makes sense if you pay attention to Extreme Rules or TLC for the last couple of years. If there's a more important hardcore match on the card (or if the match contains someone the WWE wants to get over despite current fan favoritism), all other gimmick matches tend to be neutered, even if they have the potential to be more entertaining. See TLC of two years ago where Roman was the only one allowed to have table spots, and last year where Roman was the only one allowed to have chairshots to the head.

dream

If anything, I think tonight just showed the world that Dean Ambrose really is just a mid-card joke character, and that Wrestling GAF was very wrong when they insisted that he should be the next World Champion.

So are people mad that Ambrose lose to the Conquer of the Streak or the way he lost?

I can't really stand both him and Reigns on a mic. Some guys got it some guys don't

jonjonaug

If anything, I think tonight just showed the world that Dean Ambrose really is just a mid-card joke character, and that Wrestling GAF was very wrong when they insisted that he should be the next World Champion.

Wrestling isn't real. Bad booking does not mean Ambrose is bad.

So are people mad that Ambrose lose to the Conquer of the Streak or the way he lost?

Little of column A, mostly column B.

Are there a couple matches or particular ones worth watching?

NXT isn't something really to follow. If it was a priority, I wish they did a better job streamlining the stars that mattered. However, that might be the point entirely.
See Zayn/Nakamura and Balor/Joe. The former is WWE's match of the year, and the latter is really entertaining despite some weird shit going on in it.

Sanjuro

It was a shit match. Brock isn't paid enough to be a great wrestler anymore. He does know how to sell. Ambrose really did nothing with the match to highlight why he is interesting or why he can be considered a relevant threat in the organization.

Verendus

Banned
Solid Wrasslin'Mania show.

I was surprised by how long this show was. I'm sure it has to be longest one ever. Even longer than Wrasslin'Mania 20. I'm just going to ignore the pre-show since I didn't pay attention. The biggest surprise was that the show consisted of little to no nonsense and plenty of time for the matches.

Opening ladder match was solid. Nothing I haven't seen before, but still surprised by the random jobber winning. I was expecting KO to come out on top.

Jericho and Styles was pretty good. I liked it a lot more than their last match at Fast Lane.

New Day match was decent. Nothing particularly special. I feel like it needed some kind of gimmick to spice it up.

Barack vs. Ambrose felt like wasted potential. It was decent enough, but it was almost like it was cut short. We should've got another eight minutes where Ambrose mounted a comeback before Lesnar put him down for good. It's like half a match as it stands.

Triple threat for the women's title was decent. Sasha Banks has a great theme. Keep on failing Ambrose and Rollins though WWE.

HellCell was ten minutes too long. It felt like it was half an hour, and that's just too much. The match itself wasn't bad, but paced poorly. I feel like if they did the same match but in twenty minutes, it would've been a lot better. But bah gawd at Shane jumping off the top of the HellCell. Grapefruits, friends. Grapefruits.

Didn't care for the Battle Royal. Bunch of no names and some jobber winning that I don't recognize.

The Rock segment was cool enough, but the wrong man came out at the end. It should not have been Joan Cena, but Big Daddy Dave Brotista if they wanted to make that moment special.

The main event was completely different from what I expected. Watching the promo video, I was expecting Reigns and Jimmy to kill each other, but Jimmy went old school. I liked it, but the finish was a little sloppy.

In hindsight, I think this Wrasslin'Mania could've been one of the greatest had they simply switched to Barack vs. Reigns for the title, and Haitch vs. Ambrose in the undercard. Reigns and Barack had one of the best main events the show has ever had last year, and Ambrose vs. Haitch would've had the crowd playing along with the old school match like at the previous PPV where they had a match. They let themselves down there, and I'm not sure why they went this route. Reigns vs. Jimmy feels like a step down for Reigns, and should've really happened at Royal Rumble and Fast Lane while we got Reigns vs. Barack here.

As it stands, it was still a pretty solid show.

None of it matters anyway. The Roman Empire is finally upon us.

Balee dat.

Kusagari

He just had a far better match for the title with HHH at Roadblock than Roman did tonight. I don't know how you could watch that match and not see Ambrose being able to sell a main event program.

BroBot

With all of this questionable booking, the women's match should have gone on last. It was the best wrestling match of the night (I consider the ladder match more of a spot-fest. Which was still really fun.) They would have set another WM record. First women's match to main event Wrestlemania (or a ppv I think.)

And Sasha should have won with that Benoit WM finish! We were so close!

Ambrose was much better back in FCW, during The Shield, and the early part of his solo run. The dude has regressed SIGNIFICANTLY in the last year and a half, for whatever reason.

I think some of the matches ended the way they did was because you've all guessed and expected the outcome and worry about who's "buried" and shit.

Instead, you get someone like AJ losing in some throwaway match and then climbing back up against the heel for a championship run at the next major PPV.

More entertaining and dramatic and less predictable (despite me predicting it right now...)

And can they ditch Lesnar already? He makes for boring matchups.

I can't really stand both him and Reigns on a mic. Some guys got it some guys don't

Dean should never win regardless, it was the way he lost that made him look like a fraud with his his claims and buildup beforehand. It needed to be a grueling match where Dean's only offense is via weapons and Bork kills him over and over but he keeps kicking out.

Sanjuro

See Zayn/Nakamura and Balor/Joe. The former is WWE's match of the year, and the latter is really entertaining despite some weird shit going on in it.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I'm curious about the Joe guy. Everything I hear about him he is just as good as AJ Styles, but for some reason AJ has the push.

Technical wrestlers like Punk and Bret Hart praised Ambrose at one time. Clearly this shitty Austin ripoff gimmick is holding him back.

To be honest, I'd never want to be praised by either one of those guys in modern day.

hamchan

Obviously the way he lost. Everyone expected him to lose. But people expected him to get up over and over. Not to take an F5 and then RIP.

And Ambrose clearly has something. His booking hasn't been great for the past two years. There was a long period where he lost in every single PPV. Yet he still gets cheered even though they always make him look like a dweeb. The dude has something appealing about him that Roman doesn't have.

Cagey

Banned
Obviously the way he lost. Everyone expected him to lose. But people expected him to get up over and over. Not to take an F5 and then RIP.

And Ambrose clearly has something. His booking hasn't been great for the past two years. There was a long period where he lost in every single PPV. Yet he still gets cheered even though they always make him look like a dweeb. The dude has something appealing about him that Roman doesn't have.
He's a stealth Attitude Era nostalgia act at this point.

I see what u guys are saying this could have been his moment could have been like Austin WM 13 . People appreciated his effort. He just looked like Tommy Dreamer out there instead of next Austin.

Vestal

I feel like that match shows HHH's influences: 70s Mid-Atlantic and 1983 NWA. The first 3/4 of the match was basically a classic Flair vs Race match.

So to answer your question, I think it was a solid match in front of the wrong crowd.

The by your definition it was a bad match.

You have to shape your match to your audience. Its that simple. Its not like the crowd reaction was unexpected, this was known for FUCKING EVER, and still they went through with that formula.

If you want an example of an audible on how both performers made some changes mid match to cater to the audience look at Rock v Hogan at WM.

jonjonaug

Ambrose was much better back in FCW, during The Shield, and the early part of his solo run. The dude has regressed SIGNIFICANTLY in the last year and a half, for whatever reason.

Bad booking mostly. He looked like a million bucks against Triple H, in his Rollins feud last year, even toward the end of the Rumble.

I do think that Ambrose doesn't really care though. He's said in interviews multiple times how he hates how scripted everything is and how he hasn't been happy with a single promo in his singles run. Ambrose is a really old school guy who prefers to give his own promos and wrestle a match where the performers have the freedom to change things, even the outcome, on the fly. He's great at a methodical style of wrestling with brutal looking holds and explosive maneuvers punctuating long holds. He has an arsenal of tricks up his sleeve that's staggering, not quite on D-Bry's or Cesaro's level but still very impressive.

So of course the best thing to do with him is to give him some of the most obviously prescripted promos with the worst writing imaginable, have his in-ring style be focused on brawling, have him do the same moves over and over, and put him in matches with outcomes no one wants to see with obviously setup spots.

The fact that Ambrose doesn't seem like he gives a shit is part of what makes him appealing. He comes out there and just does what he does, doesn't have any kind of weird dance or set style or any of that. The bad part is that some part of him REALLY doesn't give a shit, and it shows in how sloppy he can be outside of matches where he's allowed to have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom