• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
You really don't see the huge difference between those solutions and being able to push anything on your laptop's screen with the simple click of a button?
a lot of devices use DLNA, basically the same thing as Air Play.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
News maps icon...it's happening....it's going to happen!

buhdeh

Most of the changes aren't a big deal, but I've been running the developer preview and the superior iCloud integration and Notification Center are *amazing*. Also, iMessage. Other improvements = meh, but those are unbelievably handy.

I have iMessage on iPad/iPhone and it's way gimped. Unless you give everyone your e-mail address and tell them to message you with that instead of your number, it seems like ti doesn't work very well at all.

Oppo

it won't. you can already approximate the feature using AirServer on Lion/Snow Leopard and, to be honest, it's not that great. there's serious bandwidth and latency issues that won't be resolved until Apple moves to gigabit wireless.

it's fun to try, but enough frustrations to make it likely nothing more than a tech demo.

I'm tempted to say that you have not tuned it optimally, as when I do this, it runs like a top. Nice quality too, especially for live transcoding. Also this is going from 2nd floor of house to basement, via wifi. Can usually do 2-2.5k bitrate no problem.

So does Plex or PS3 Media Server and they don't require an Apple TV!

Damn it that's not a "Game Changer" Whitta!
Yeah because an easy-to-use solution baked into the OS and fully supported by all parties is the same thing as some obscure piece of freeware you have to go find and figure out how to use.

Futureman

people would really rather talk to their phone then just open up the espn app? Siri why?

edit: for scores at least.... player cards and stats is pretty cool I guess.

eznark

Banned
You really don't see the huge difference between those solutions and being able to push anything on your laptop's screen with the simple click of a button?

Not for my purposes, no. And I don't think even this awesome new MacBook is powerful enough to replace a gaming PC so for gaming it doesn't really cut it either. (not sure if that is even possible)

It's definitely cool and slick as hell. Seems to have limited impact though.

Lkr

i wouldn't mind siri sports...except the espn scorecenter pushes me a million notifications per hour so i'm not sure if i'll need it

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
and, again, you're divorcing the thought of being able to do that with the practicality/reality of how it's accomplished. unless Apple magically fixed wireless throughput and the performance of their (admittedly already great) real-time H264 encoding/streaming infrastructure, it's not as fluid or seamless an experience as you'd expect.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not for my purposes, no. And I don't think even this awesome new MacBook is powerful enough to replace a gaming PC so for gaming it doesn't really cut it either. (not sure if that is even possible)

It's definitely cool and slick as hell. Seems to have limited impact though.

Fair enough. It's going to be huge for my uses, though. It will also remove the barrier that exists for most 'normal' people to setting up a wireless connection to stream content from their PC to their televisions.

Dreaver

Man the new retina Macbook, I'd love to have it (I do a lot of video editing and I need one for my new study) but fucking hell $2200 is a lot of money and waaaay too expensive for me (I'm a poor student).

Top Bottom