• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I have some super outdated phone and now is the time for me to upgrade I feel as the phone is really starting to drag me down and just make my experience with it miserable. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a few more months though until the next iPhone comes out.. Unless you guys think it isn't worth waiting that long for something that might not be a major major upgrade from the 4S. (any new smartphone blows away my current phone I'm sure haha).
worth waiting for

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
it's great that we'll finally get vector-based maps that, hopefully, will be less bandwidth intensive like it is on Android.

i'm more interested to see if and how much Google decides to bring over their Maps program now that Apple has gone in-house. will they be allowed to? will it offer feature parity with ICS?

i don't care much about the 3D birds-eye rendering. it's all about the speed of getting that initial payload to draw a map on screen and getting directions returned. hopefully this speeds that up a good deal.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Game Changer

apple-wwdc-2012-_1069.jpg

Yeah, this is going to make traffic reports and such so much more accurate.

Lkr

Apple’s will because they’ll be streaming maps. plus the siri integration needs 3G.

But apps like navigon and tom tom can be used with GPS only. no data.

hopefully they add a GPS only mode for when we are driving in the boonies and need a bit of help

WOW 3GS SUPPORT!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
a few nice feature for iOS, doesn't seem like that big of a update though. (when are they going to get rid of that ugly grid of icons?!)

Al-ibn Kermit

Seriously, Apple is fucking CRUSHING IT here. Competitors are going to be scrambling like never before.

The turn-by-turn maps looks AMAZING. Sell your Garmin/TomTom stock NOW!

Turn by turn matches the most important feature of Gmaps. But if the 3D maps don't have street view, then it would be basically useless.

A huge, useless boondoggle that nobody would ever use. And how does crowd sourced traffic work? Do you opt in for it to send velocity data to Apple whilst you're on the highway? If they expect people to tell Siri every time there is traffic, then nobody will use it.

Apple has made a good effort on this map software but I'm not ready to say they won anything yet.

SRG01

Apple’s will because they’ll be streaming maps. plus the siri integration needs 3G.

But apps like navigon and tom tom can be used with GPS only. no data.

That's actually something I'm disappointed about. How on earth did Google take so many years to get offline maps, and Apple to launch without it? It's 2012 for crying out loud.

It's brutal when you're traveling and have no data connection. Or if you're in a car without 3G access.

NekoFever

Can someone explain the Apple ID/Phone number merging like I'm five? I missed it. Why should I care?
At the moment if you send a message to a phone number it'll only go to the phone, even if they have iMessages enabled on their computer or iPad; you have to send it to the email address to send it to all of them. Now iMessages sent to your phone number can go to your other devices.

Lkr

a few nice feature for iOS, doesn't seem like that big of a update though. (when are they going to get rid of that ugly grid of icons?!)

eh this has me more excited than any of the features that made me buy an iPhone in the first place

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Time to upgrade my iPad 1 then.

Odd that it runs on a 3GS but not iPad 1?

Top Bottom